• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Team X

Munchkin

is NOT edible. Unless you're a vampire.
So, this team is for battling my boyfriend, but I wanted advice and such before training them and all that. It should be noted that he's not so familiar with most Pokémon from the third generation and later, except for a few random Pokémon with significant appearances in the animé. Also, he mentioned that he loves dragons, and the ones he has for potential breeding are Dragonite, Garchomp, and Salamence. It's also very likely that he'll have an Alakazam. Also, he's not very experienced with strategically fixing a team, so he'll most likely be using an all-out offensive.
EDIT: I found out that he has Magmortar and Alakazam =) He says he has no dragons though. Don't know if he's serious or would just be trying to trick me. His Magmortar is male and his Alakazam's ability is Synchronize, if that helps.
EDIT 2: He also has Magnezone =x
EDIT 3: So I'm up against Scyther, Empoleon, Salamence, Alakazam, Magmortar, and Magnezone. Every gendered one seems to be male.

It should also be noted that, since most of my Pokémon are already in White and I'll be battling with Platinum, I'm fairly restricted in what Pokémon/moves/items I can obtain. That being said, I've recently restarted my Emerald and can play through that for additional items/Pokémon.

The moves that I can easily obtain still are level-up, some egg moves, TMs from the Game Corner, purchasable TMs, and Move Tutor moves. The ones from the Battle Frontier will be a pain to get, as all I can play is Battle Factory now, without my good team, and I really suck at that.

Also please note that I usually fail at constructing decent, well-balanced teams, and usually have no idea what I'm doing.
Now, without further delay, my badly-planned team!

Starmie @ Life Orb
Modest / Natural Cure
252 SpA / 252 S / 6 HP
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Signal Beam / Power Gem

No idea, just decided to go head-to-head with that all-out offensive strategy of his with this one, and outspeed him for a decent sweep to begin? I also figured, this moveset is easy for me to obtain with what limited resources I have at my disposal.

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Jolly / Speed Boost
252 A / 252 S / 6 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Protect
~ Baton Pass
~ X-Scissor

Protect, SD, Protect, BP. X-Scissor in case it's stuck out there battling, Focus Sash for Swords Dance, etc. I'm not sure about the EV spread though...?

Metagross @ Muscle Band / Lefties
Adamant / Clear Body
252 A / 100 S / 158 HP
~ Iron Head / Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch
~ Zen Headbutt / ThunderPunch

Earthquake is what will piss me off to get, since I need to purchase it at the Battle Frontier. As such, this is the only move I'll be willing to buy from there. That said, this is what I plan to Baton Pass to, since it's bulky and strong. With the speed boosts it should be quite fast as well. Also, I favored Adamant over Jolly, but I'm not entirely sure. EV spread? I prefer Iron Head to Meteor Mash, but thoughts on that? And the last move slot, not sure which one to go with. This could be the member of my team I have the most questions about, but also the one I have the most faith in =o

68a.png
@ Quick Claw / Zoom Lens
Adamant/Brave / Guts
252 A / 252 HP / 6 D
~ DynamicPunch / Cross Chop
~ Ice Punch
~ Fire Punch
~ Payback

I was favoring Brave nature with Zoom Lens over Adamant with Quick Claw. I prefer DynamicPunch because of the 100% confuse effect, but that depends on how good the accuracy boost from Zoom Lens is. If it isn't that great, I'd rather go with Cross Chop. Ice Punch for his dragons that Starmie couldn't take care of, Fire Punch because he seems to favor physical attackers and the burn effect would help. Payback because, well, it's Payback =p

Magmortar @ Wise Glasses
Modest / Flame Body
252 SpA / 158 S / 100 HP
~ Flamethrower
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast
~ Attract

Not sure about Focus Blast, but I dislike SolarBeam because of the charging, and Psychic is unavailable to me. Well, I could raise a Kadabra to breed it onto her, in which case I guess I'd remove Attract? Attract is there because I know my boyfriend usually prefers male Pokémon, so I'll get a female Magmortar to, for the most part, restrict him from attacking. So I'm not really sure what to do with this one.

Snorlax @ Lefties / Lum Berry
Careful/Impish / Thick Fat
252 HP / 140 D / 116 SpD
~ Toxic
~ Body Slam
~ Rest
~ ThunderPunch / Protect

Toxistaller, obviously. I've never used a Snorlax before though, so advice on EV spread and moveset would be appreciated, but please don't forget that the moves I can teach it are limited. I'd prefer Lefties on it, but Lum Berry for Rest? Also, the last move slot, not sure which I should use. I figured with Rest, Lefties, and Snorlax's bulk, Protect really wouldn't be necessary, but I've put it there for consideration.
EDIT: After finding out that my boyfriend's Alakazam's ability is Synchronize, I think I'd prefer to go with Lum Berry to cover Synchronized Toxic, but I'm still not sure. With Rest there, I suppose that renders Synchronize useless against Snorlax, though, huh?

** I've considered swapping Machamp for Medicham or Weavile, but I prefer Machamp, honestly. Opinions on this as well, please =x
** Also thought of switching Metagross, maybe for Tyranitar? Its lower speed and Sand Stream kind of put me off, but it seems more all-around durable.

Sorry for long post =,(

Last edited:
--Don't have too much experience with Starmie, so you're kind of on your own with that one. I'd say the all-out offense to start is good in theory, but the moves are pretty much a matter of personal preference. Seems you'd get fairly even type coverage regardless of the combination. I'd go with Psychic over either T-Bolt or Signal Beam/Power Gem just for the STAB, but again, that's a matter of personal preference.

--Standard Ninjask is standard.

--I've always been of the mind that something whose stats can't be reduced should have at least one stat-boosting move to take advantage of that. And I've heard tell that Agility on Metagross is pretty dang lethal. I saw you planned on passing from Ninjask, though, so perhaps you have that base covered anyway. After Speed Boost, the uses of Meteor Mash and Iron Head makes it a toss-up (assuming you have Speed Boost up). Earthquake yes, Ice/T-Punch yes. Zen Headbutt isn't going to take anything that Earthquake or the Punches can't at least go neutrally effective against, especially with the team you seem certain to face. I'd say to try out Magnet Rise just for a gimmicky surprise, but it doesn't seem likely anything except his Salamence would even carry Earthquake.

--Give your Machamp the No Guard ability in place of Guts. While I see the appeal of a Guts-champ, No Guard will allow you to utilize Dynamicpunch with dramatically better results. I would also trade in Fire/Ice Punch for Stone Edge (since you'd have No Guard to counter its accuracy, or lack thereof). Stone Edge covers most of the same types as the two Punches (especially the ever-dangerous Flying type), and what it doesn't cover, Dynamicpunch usually will. That all being said, an Adamant/Brave, max Atk Machamp probably doesn't need to rely on critical hits too often, so you can probably ditch Zoom Lens. I'd go with Lum Berry to avoid broken sweeps (assuming you pass SPD from Ninjask) or even Leftovers (heck, maybe even Shell Bell with the damage it'd probably dish out).

--Magmortar and Snorlax, honestly, I have few criticisms for either. I might personally invest more Defense EV's in Snorlax as it's pretty well set as a Special sponge.

Hope this all helps, and good luck in your battle.

Back
Top Bottom