• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Blaguarro Town Terminal Two Main Floor

Ein pondered this for a moment, then shook his head slightly in what seemed to be a begrudging way.

"Heh... While I'd prefer to consolidate our control over this world – we have, after all, invested considerable resources in our ventures here – returning to Earth and finding some other... fantastical plane to exploit would merely be a setback, at most. And if you fail, so much the better. It's entirely in my interests for you to meet your end in the polar wastes, or at the hands of Master Nascour, and should you succeed... then I'm content to accept exile to my home world."

The Manectric smirked, apparently satisfied that Mhynt's reasoning was rational, whether or not he credited her with the powers she claimed to have. He hadn't ruled it out, at least – which was only good sense for a scientist testing the shallows of another plane's laws of creation.

"The spacetime fracture where we established Terminal One is a 'Mystery Dungeon' called Eremus Fault. It is a fissure in reality which we have breached in order to establish a stable wormhole between Earth and Forlas, of which the portal maintained in Terminal Two was only a 'distributary channel', if you will. I cannot supply you with a map, or GPS coordinates, or any other such precise thing, but you seem to have an uncanny skill at finding rifts. Find this one, then. I shall wait."

I have enough discipline not to put your face through a wall. He couldn't let Ein get under his skin so easy, it would just prove him right. His gaze shifted to Seth briefly, though he could hardly feel too shocked. Seth had already spilled much of his story... Besides, Seth's world and his actions were his problem, although the thought of Cipher going back to their own world only to do the same thing all over again made him burn. "I see."

Pushing out any thoughts, he nodded nonchalantly as he could along with Mhynt and listened carefully to Ein, considering his words. So there was a Terminal One. What was Mhynt's end goal was with her ploy? Probably it was best not to say too much and interfere.

"So it sounds like the Covenant takes issue with your presence here," he said flatly. "What do you know of their operations then?"

Last edited:
Seth was silent, his face darkening. He met Koa's gaze as if daring him to say anything. Clearly, Ein's words got to him.

"So it sounds like the Covenant takes issue with your presence here. What do you know of their operations then?"

Ein eyed Koa disinterestedly.

"The Covenant and Cipher made contact with each other soon after we established a foothold in this reality. We have normalised relations with them and conducted some perfunctory trade and diplomatic exchanges. However, we have identified Covenant agents prying into our operations, and naturally made efforts to stymie their meddling.

"They were cordial with us to begin with on the basis that we are a human organisation, which gives us a certain sacred status in their 'culture'... but now seem to take issue with our business. They consider themselves to be the highest order of protection for this world short of the so-called 'legendary pokémon', which they call 'Saints'."

At this, the Manectric scoffed derisively.

"Cipher has captured and Shadowed legendary pokémon on several previous occasions, and they have proven to be valuable assets. We are prepared to do so again."

Though her neutral expression betrayed nothing, Bellatrix was in utter disbelief at how willing Ein was to give away the location of both Terminal One and the second rift at the slightest bit of pragmatism behind a lie. Assuming he was truthful, either he was logically-minded to the point of foolishness or he was far more desperate than he was letting on. Then again, if Ein wanted to be the architect of his own downfall, who was she to stop him?

So she let Ein continue, listening to his following explanation carefully. So Cipher were simply trying to play god then, how ironic was it that Ein had told them to not get cocky? And noy only that but the two organisations had been collaborating before this. "To what extent did the Covenant get involved in your operations," she asked. "What was the nature of these trade and diplomacy deals?"

Her gaze fell onto Koa momentarily and she silently hoped that the little electric-type could hold onto his composure for just a while longer.

Koa felt his body tense, and he gritted his teeth, his mask beginning to slip as hate burned in his chest. Legendary Pokemon. Shadowed. Controlled, used and corrupted. Nothing but assets to further a goal. Cipher was just like all of them. His claws dug into the hard floor. Get a grip, he had to get a grip.

His eyes narrowed. Attacking Ein now wouldn't do anything. From the corner of his eye he felt Bellatrix's gaze on him. Probably judging him. Play along. He had play along and keep his composure. Mask. For the teams sake, and for the sake of what they were trying to do.

"Run of the mill goals then." He tried to sound unconcerned, but an edge still colored his tone. "And you didn't bring any of these legends here to Forlas to wield against your enemies? Or manage to capture the 'Saints' here then?" Wield. The word made him sick. And the Covenant had been stupid enough to listen to Cipher for even a moment? Just because they were human?

Wes watched Ein through narrowed eyes. His willingness to divulge everything was, frankly, fishy as all hell. Either the bastard was fully confident in this Nascour’s ability to flatten them all—the hell kind of name is Nascour, anyway—or there was something else he was electing not to tell them. Something up his sleeve that no amount of questioning would get him to divulge.

"Cipher has captured and Shadowed legendary pokémon on several previous occasions, and they have proven to be valuable assets. We are prepared to do so again."

Wait. Wait. Legendary Pokémon? Wes felt a cold chill run down his spine. How was that even possible? It shouldn’t even be possible to catch a legendary, let alone…

Gods. Scorching hells. Shit. Did this mean the Cipher in is world had such insanely bullshit tech, too? Wes fought back against the rising panic in his chest and kept his expression deliberately neutral. He wouldn’t give Ein the satisfaction of seeing his fears—not now, and not ever.

Different world from yours, he told himself. Probably different rules apply. Doesn’t mean the Cipher in your world is even close to this powerful. He just had to keep reminding himself of that.

Wes cleared his throat and spoke up, electing to ignore Koa’s presence beside him. (Funny how the kid could keep his cool better with a prick like Ein than he ever could with Wes. Yeah, he’d fit right in here if he wanted to.)

“What I’d like to know is how the hell you all managed to get here in the first place. How’d you manage to breach this rift? Or even find it in the first place? What kind of tech allows you to barge into alternate worlds?”

“Well, if I went around fearing every potential enemy, I wouldn’t be a very effective bounty hunter,” Archie mused, sliding down Dakim’s side to the floor. He gave the Darmanitan one last pat on the shoulder, before adding, “Still, I appreciate the warning. I won’t underestimate Nascour.”

For a moment, he considered pressing the Fire Type for more information on Nascour and the remaining admins. Species, temperament, that sort of thing. Presumably they’d find the rest of the syndicate at this Terminal One – the Mystery Dungeon known as Eremus Fault, far to the north. At least, assuming they could trust Ein to be truthful about all this. The Manectric certainly didn’t seem to care enough to lie.

One thing Ein did seem to enjoy, though, was needling Seth. Sure, it was upsetting to hear that the Lycanroc had killed more than just Fein, but… Well, Archie had already known that Seth had the capacity to kill, so he couldn’t say he was exactly surprised. It’d be different, maybe, if Seth was still killing people now that he had allies and options, but having killed in the past, as a lone agent fighting a seemingly unbeatable enemy... Archie didn’t like it, but he could understand it.

He reached out to put a paw on the red Lycanroc’s arm – the height difference between them wasn’t so extreme anymore, that was still so very weird to the Dewott. Archie opened his mouth, only to hesitate. What even should he say? What even could be said?

“He just wants to get a rise out of you,” he settled on saying, though it didn’t exactly feel adequate, “Don’t give him the satisfaction.”

“He just wants to get a rise out of you. Don’t give him the satisfaction.”

Seth pulled away with a sour look.

"I know, buddy. Save it."

Bitter and independent as Seth was, at least his haunted look had passed – his grim thoughts interrupted by a friend.

"To what extent did the Covenant get involved in your operations. What was the nature of these trade and diplomacy deals?"
"Run of the mill goals then. And you didn't bring any of these legends here to Forlas to wield against your enemies? Or manage to capture the 'Saints' here then?"
“What I’d like to know is how the hell you all managed to get here in the first place. How’d you manage to breach this rift? Or even find it in the first place? What kind of tech allows you to barge into alternate worlds?”

Ein smiled with deep condescension.

"You wouldn't understand the science involved if I explained it to you. Suffice it to say that a dimension may have weak points vulnerable to a deliberate breach, and the Eremus Fault is a considerable one... and we were able to create one of our own on Earth – with the application of Shadow energy."

The Manectric glanced bemusedly at Koa, as if wondering whether to make any reply at all.

"Thank you for your policy suggestions," he said, with naked sarcasm. "I'll be sure to use my Shadow raikou as a blunt instrument against the next world Cipher targets."

Then, finally, he looked to Bellatrix with mild interest.

"We exchanged a handful of surplus technological assets, and representatives from each organisation met to discuss our respective goals and policies. We knew from the outset, of course, that any local interference could not be tolerated in the long term, and so we have kept our activities clandestine."

Ein stifled a mock yawn.

"I think you had best take me away at this point. Or provide a glass of water. I fear my voice may fail from answering so many of your insipid questions."

Mhynt grunted, crossing her arms. "...Let's arrange for them to be taken away. Some of us should attend the transfer to help ensure it's done safely and with more security."

She turned around. "I will attend that. I may not be good at restraints, but I can Teleport people who are."

Bellatrix watched Ein for a moment longer before she stood up. "Very well. I believe I've heard enough, anyway," she said, waving a paw dismissively. "I believe we can switch our focus to systematically undoing Cipher's influence in the area and if possible, a means of closing off this place permanently." No good would come of leaving the place unattended, she thought. And if these three half-wits somehow managed an escape, keeping them away from any remaining resources here would be a means of setting them back further until their eventual recapture.

She nodded at Mhynt. "I will come with. I have my means of holding anyone secure and it is poor form for a bounty hunter to not be present for the processing of an outlaw."

Shadow Raikou. But not here, by the sound of it. He felt sick at the thought. His gaze shifted to Seth for a second, almost unconsciously. If Seth went home, could he do something? Could he save the rest of the pokemon Cipher had taken? He pushed aside the thoughts. Not now. Stamping out and pushing aside his anger, he forced himself to focus on the world around him.

Suddenly he was keenly aware of Wes too close to him (of the sense of hate coming from him) and he stepped back, away from Wes and Ein, his gaze still locked on the Manectric. So the Covenant had bought whatever story Cipher fed them, for a time. And they could have found out about Cipher's base and technology.

His lip curled. "We wouldn't want to tax poor Ian's voice any more." He gave Ein a disdainful look, then turned to Bellatrix, nodding in agreement. "We should double check for anything useful and dispose of the rest of the technology to make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands," he said with a growl. They couldn't risk anyone else using it, especially if the Covenant couldn't be trusted. Technically it was practical but he'd also seen how protective Ein was of his tech... If destroying it upset him then it was a a bonus as far as he cared. Plus he had the glasses and drone to examine later.

The sooner this was all over and Ein and his group were locked away somewhere the better. "I can do a last sweep here before we go, but I wouldn't mind another pair of eyes." If Bellatrix and Mhynt were watching the prisoners, maybe Archie... or Seth, if he knew the place better. he glanced around at the team, trying to look less uncertain than he felt.

The entire time, Isidora had been leaning against the hole in the wall, keeping Dakim in the corner of her vision as she watched Ein's interrogation. She couldn't help here, not when she could feel hot shivers of anger prickling across her pelt, sent by the part of her that wanted to kill him. Everything about him was repulsive, from his attitude to his existence, and the fact that he looked like a mocking parody of a manectric just made it worse. It took willpower to recognize it, but she knew better than to try an interrogation when in this kind of headspace.

Aside from being a frustratingly perfect imitation of a stereotypically evil human, there was something else she noticed.
Self-aggrandizing piece of shit said:
"Power is the key to anything. Resources, influence, control, technology, force... All forms of power are essential to achieving any other objective. Sufficient power is self-justifying.
He practically backflipped over that question. Whatever they actually needed this all for, it likely didn't matter, given their true base of operations was some alternate version of Earth and not here. Yet he had been more than willing to divulge other key pieces of information, just not that one. We got nothing on their plans: he definitely thinks he's winning. Though from his attitude, she also got the impression he didn't care much about Cipher's operations here beyond what he, personally, could get out of it. Maybe he already got what he wanted...

Isidora pushed herself off the wall and took a deep breath to keep herself calm. "I can help check the area, and maybe third with the transfer if it's not too much," she offered. "Won't be much help here otherwise."

Last edited:
The atmosphere of the lab had gone from its bitter pressure to a more somber, hollow echo. The fighting was over and yet it still felt like the Wayfarers had much more to uncover. Terminal One, the purification of several as word filed in from the Rangers of other parts of the facility... and, of course, the hostile leaders they'd managed to subdue.

Yes. At least they took out the base. It was a start. Finally, the Wayfarers had for themselves some momentum.

<><><>​

Back
Top Bottom