• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's see here. First I'll fill up that last battle slot:

3v3 single
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned: Any moves with effects that result in an automatic KO for either battler (OHKOs, final gambit, selfdestruct, perish song, etc.); rest; weather-inducing moves/abilities (sand stream et al pokémon can be used, but their ability will have no effect); any pokémon with magic guard, cloud nine, air lock, overcoat, sand veil and snow cloak

Arena: Acid Rain

The ref warned them about pursuit, bro! He told 'em dog! You just don't do that in the Communication Club Colosseum, man, not when it's frickin' hailing inside. But nooo, the last trainers to battle in here just had to mess around, the arena's weather generators are broken like whoa and now the next trainers and ref have to deal with the meteorologist's nightmare they've left behind.

The Communication Club Colosseum itself is a standard enclosed arena, empty and large enough to accomodate any pokémon comfortably on its sturdy metal floor. For reasons known only to the mysterious techie wizards who designed the room, it is still possible to use just about any attack in here—rocks and surges of water appear out of nowhere when an attack calls for them, and the floor can be tunneled through and will repair itself after the battle. No sense letting physics or lack or resources get in the way of a good 'n crazy battle, after all.

This freedom of attack use would normally also apply to weather moves, the room's artificial weather generators providing bright light, stiff breezes and precipitation of all stripes whenever needed. The techie wizards have no explanation for the way the generators react when the move pursuit is used while they're active, however, and thanks to the previous occupants' shenanigans they're now on the fritz something serious. Bright lights shine, rain and hail drive down and a sandstorm tears across the room, effectively causing the effects of sunny day, rain dance, hail and sandstorm to remain active all at once*. There'll be no turning them off for a while, either, and they refuse to respond to any new weather commands, so the barrage of weather remains in place indefinitely and can't be canceled or replaced by using a weather move (or additional use of pursuit, for that matter, which will function normally). The intense weather assailing the battlers from all directions causes them a great deal of pain, shearing 10% health/round off of any pokémon that is not completely immune to any and all weather damage and 7% off of pokémon with a partial immunity. It is also quite difficult to see what's going on through all the roiling rainhailsandsun, and all moves, save for never-miss moves and self- or field-targeting moves, suffer a 10% accuracy drop.

*To clarify and resolve any potential conflicting effects:
-Water- and fire-type moves do not have their damage modified by the weather (no boosts or penalties)
-Blizzard, hurricane and thunder all have 100% accuracy (but are affected by the blanket 10% accuracy drop)
-Solarbeam can be used instantly without any additional energy cost and does not have reduced base power
-Moonlight, morning sun and synthesis restore 50% health
-Rock-types have their special defense increased by the sandstorm
-Pokémon with immunity to sandstorm and/or hail take only 7% weather damage/round
-Pokémon with chlorophyll, harvest, hydration, leaf guard, sand force, sand rush, and swift swim have their abilities activated
-Pokémon with solar power take sun damage each round as normal
-Pokémon with dry skin do not get healed by or take extra damage from their ability (they still take the blanket damage per round)
-Pokémon with ice body or rain dish get healed by their ability, then take the ususal 10% or 7% weather damage/round
-Cherrim alternates between its sunshine and overcast forms at the beginning of each round (ref determines starting form at random)
-Castform randomly changes between its rain, sun and hail forms at the beginning of each round
-Weather ball is always at 100 base power and its type is randomly (re)determined to be fire, water, ice or rock each time it is used
-Growth raises attack and special attack by 2 with each use

---

And then something a little different. I will be reffing this second challenge down here, not battling in it, so it just needs two interested players to accept. I don't particularly care who the battlers are, so long as I'm not actively reffing one of their matches (so sorry, Zhorken/uv/Meowth/MF) and they are preferably people I've never reffed for before. Just to make sure a few other people get the change to behold my radiant procrastination reffing skills. It would also be nice if the people who accepted didn't already have several battles going, btw. If you post accepting the challenge and I think you've got enough going on I will happily tell you to go away and let someone with fewer battles have a chance at it.

1v1 single
Damage Cap: None
Banned: Nothing

Arena: Alphabetronome Battledome

The stadium itself is deceptively simple—a grassy expanse surrounded on all sides by the ususal stadium bleachers, a few large rocks scattered about, a pool of decent depth and breadth and so able to accomodate most non-wailord pokémon with relative comfort. What is not so simple is the series of small devices installed in the wall that encircles the field and separates battlers from spectators. These devices give off a bizarre energy that gives the battling pokémon the ability to use literally any move at random (with some ad-libbing where they don't have the required anatomy, e.g. walloping someone with a tail "punch" if the pokémon has no hands), not unlike a use of the move metronome. On their current setting, however, only the first move the battlers use will be completely random. The devices are connected to a computer with an alphabetical database of all known pokémon attacks, and after selecting the first move at random the devices will have that pokémon use the moves that come after that one alphabetically, in descending order and wrapping back around to absorb after zen headbutt. The devices will re-randomize a new first move at the beginning of every fourth round. (Chill is included in this database.)

Because trainers know which moves to expect on most rounds after the first, they are allowed to specify how those moves are to be performed with additional instructions or conditionals so long as the actual attacks used are not altered in any way. For example, you can order your pokémon to aim its second attack at the opponent if the first one was successful, or at one of the rocks if it wasn't. If substitute is in your list of commands you can choose how much health to put toward it, if double team is in your list you can specify the number of clones, etc.. You cannot, however, change the attack you'll have for that action or choose to do nothing.

An example of how the battle progresses:

Round 1: The trainers send out, the ref randomizes the first move for each battler and gets quick attack for Dragonair and fire spin for Eelektrik. Dragonair uses quick attack, quick guard and quiver dance, and Eelektrik uses fire spin, fissure and flail.

Round 2: Eelektrik's trainer sees that the next three moves after flail are flame burst, flame charge and flamethrower. He can't change the attacks given to him or the order they're used in, but he can tell Eelektrik to use those attacks in just about whatever manner he likes. Dragonair's trainer does the same with rage, rage powder and rain dance and the round is reffed.

Round 3: Dragonair does whatever with rapid spin, razor leaf and razor shell and Eelektrik does whatever with flame wheel, flare blitz and flash.

Round 4: The trainers do not give actual orders and the ref randomizes a new starting move: Eelektrik gets ice beam and Dragonair gets zap cannon. Eelektrik uses ice beam, ice burn and ice fang and Dragonair uses zap cannon, zen headbutt and absorb.

And so on.

I would totally take either of these battles.

Righto. Gonna make two challenges to fill my remaining two battle slots, both fittingly located around Sinnoh's Battle Zone.

First:

Battle Format: 2 vs. 2 double battle
DQ Time: 7 days
Damage Cap: 32%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, weather

Arena: Stark Mountain entrance

The area outside the entrance to Stark Mountain, covered in a blanket of ash, which continuously falls heavily from the sky, making it somewhat hard to see. The mouth of the cave is in a sort of pit, surrounded by a steep, rocky hill. On top of the hill is a patch of very hardy grass. There are two lava pits in the lower area, one wide and shallow in front of the entrance, and the other to the left of the entrance, deep, narrow, and spewing a stream of ash.

The falling ash and heat from the volcano work together as a special weather condition. The heat powers up Fire-type moves, weakens Water-type moves, damages Pokémon with Dry Skin, and changes Weather Ball to a Fire move, just like the heat during strong sunlight. However, the sunlight is not strong at all; the ash clouds largely block it out, meaning Solarbeam takes extra time to charge and has halved power, while Morning Sun, Moonlight, and Synthesis heal less, just like during rain, hail, or a sandstorm. Also, the thickly-falling ash works just as well as blowing sand for the purposes of Sand Rush, Sand Force, and Sand Veil, and it reduces accuracy by 10% for all Pokémon except Fire, Rock, Ground, and Steel-types. Air Lock and Cloud Nine suppress the heat and ash like any other weather condition. Furthermore, this weather is very stubborn, and will not change for weather-inducing moves or abilities. (Anything not mentioned works as it does without weather—Castform doesn't change, Thunder's accuracy is 70% [before the drop from the ash], etc.)

The heat of the lava pits is not great enough to damage anyone without touching it, but they still pose some danger. First, if one of the battlers does fall in, they'll sustain 12% Fire-type damage and a severe burn as they bounce right out (like in a platformer!) Second, Earthquake and Magnitude cause small eruptions from the lava pits, identical in effect to a full-power, STAB-boosted Eruption hitting the entire arena. (Both trainers and the ref will be given lava-proof umbrellas, courtesy of Science.) In both these cases, the damage is treated like any regular Fire attack: it's affected by type alignments, triggers abilities, et cetera.

Additional Rules:
  • No fully-evolved Pokémon, including evolutionary singletons
  • Each side may send out at most one Fire-type. I have three reasons for this:
    1. Two Fires versus two Fires would drag on;
    2. Two Fires versus one Fire and something else would be pretty imbalanced;
    3. I only have the one Fire-type anyway, so the first scenario is moot and the second could only happen in my disfavour. 8)

---

Second:

Battle Format: 2 vs. 2 single battle
Battle Style: Switch
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song

Arena: Sea Route 230

A small island of rich earth, about twenty metres in diameter, surrounded by the sea. Most of the island is taken up by a plateau covered in shaggy grass, with some higher parts sporting neater blankets of grass with some flowers. There are a few crumbling rocks here and there around the edges, which drop off sharply to the water about four metres down. At the south end, someone has built a set of steps leading down to the water, so anyone who falls off the island (and can swim) can clamber back up.

Additional Rules: No fully-evolved Pokémon, including evolutionary singletons

Second:

A small island of rich earth, about twenty metres in diameter, surrounded by the sea. Most of the island is taken up by a plateau covered in shaggy grass, with some higher parts sporting neater blankets of grass with some flowers. There are a few crumbling rocks here and there around the edges, which drop off sharply to the water about four metres down. At the south end, someone has built a set of steps leading down to the water, so anyone who falls off the island (and can swim) can clamber back up.

I'll take you on. :)

4 vs. 4 Double Battle
Style: Set
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, only 2 healing moves per Pokemon
Arena: Stadium of Elements

A very basic rectangular Pokemon arena inside an arena, with a dirt floor and an open roof. The only catch is every other round the arena will take on properties of one of the Pokemon types, boosting that types attack power by 2% damage (added after all other calculations). Each type has an equal chance of being selected, and a type can occur multiple times in a row. There are jets on every side of the field to spray things like fire, water, bolts of electricity, etc.

Please use my old profile, in my signature.

Right, I just realized I really don't have much going on battlewise and I've never done a Double Battle before. Also, I can't be arsed to think up an arena and don't really want to battle in a complicated place. So... yeah, I'll take you.

10v10 singles
Style: Set, except moves such as Baton Pass, Roar, Volt Switch, etc. are permitted.
DQ: 3 days (lest it last forever)
Damage Cap: 25% per action to a maximum of 33% per round
Banned: OHKO, Attract, direct healing. Chills permitted.
Arena: A flat grassy hill with a water source (a slowly flowing, but quite wide, stream) in the middle.

10 vs. 10. I wonder how many other people have thought of this folly.

10v10 singles
Style: Set, except moves such as Baton Pass, Roar, Volt Switch, etc. are permitted.
DQ: 3 days (lest it last forever)
Damage Cap: 25% per action to a maximum of 33% per round
Banned: OHKO, Attract, direct healing. Chills permitted.
Arena: A flat grassy hill with a water source (a slowly flowing, but quite wide, stream) in the middle.

10 vs. 10. I wonder how many other people have thought of this folly.
I'll take you on if you don't mind.

anyone wanna accept this challege?

1vs1 single
Style:default
DQ:1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves:OHKO's,transform,no protect or detect, 5 chills per Pokemon
Arena:Safarii Zone

The Safarii Zone located in the Kanto, is home to many Pokemon. In the middle of it all, there is a battle arena where trainers are free to battle. Each round, one of the following will hapen;

*A nidoran couple will come and watch. If there is a wide range move, the nidoran couple will get angry and poisen the attacker.

*a Chansey will come and give the Pokemon with the least HP an egg to restore 50% of health

*A tropious will fly and drop one of it's fruits, feeding it to a random pokemon, restoring 10% of energy and 10% of HP (determined by RNG)

*A golem will roll by and roll on one of the Pokemon(RNG), making them lose %15 health

*a Wingull will come and drop a random item on one of the pokemon (RNG). Either good or bad item.

Others:Only pokemon in their first form may enter. No event will hapen twice in a row.

2 vs. 2 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 168 hours.
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs
Arena: Doctor Kaminko's experimental arena number 11

The good doctor has staged several battles in other arenas (usually in arena number 44), but this time he decided to let his test subjects use this arena, due to the technology's high tolerance for electromagnetic signals. The gimmick here is the doctor's recent new device; We're testing it out for him, you see.

The device is over in the corner, protected by a one-way force field. Said device, which has yet to be named but has thus far been built as 'Project Memory', is rather special. It sends out a special electromagnetic wave, the effect of which is quite severe; it essentially resets the memory of someone caught in it for the duration of its effect. Now, this can give humans amnesia for a day or two (but that's why the battlers will be sitting outside watching through electromagnetic wave-proof glass), but its effect on Pokémon is quite different.

For the duration of the battle, the machine will send out its electromagnetic signal at both of the battlers. This signal will erase any moves and techniques from their memories, except for the ones they were born with.

The arena itself is quite straightforward, with no gimmicks.

Other: All pokémon participating can ONLY use moves that they had access to in the generation in which they were introduced. For instance, Croagunk can only use the moves it had in generation IV, while something like Exxegutor can only use moves from generation I (like no Seed Bomb or anything). This includes Signature Moves, which all have no effect for the entire battle, as well as signature attributes which were not there when the pokémon was born (eg. Blindness stays, but [example:Crazy Linoone's Death Cannon] Broadband High-Speed Internet connection has no effect).

^I'll take the above challenge vs Superbird(can't quote it right now due to my PS3's stupid 1,025 character limit).

anyone wanna accept this challege?

1vs1 single
Style:default
DQ:1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves:OHKO's,transform,no protect or detect, 5 chills per Pokemon
Arena:Safarii Zone

The Safarii Zone located in the Kanto, is home to many Pokemon. In the middle of it all, there is a battle arena where trainers are free to battle. Each round, one of the following will hapen;

*A nidoran couple will come and watch. If there is a wide range move, the nidoran couple will get angry and poisen the attacker.

*a Chansey will come and give the Pokemon with the least HP an egg to restore 50% of health

*A tropious will fly and drop one of it's fruits, feeding it to a random pokemon, restoring 10% of energy and 10% of HP (determined by RNG)

*A golem will roll by and roll on one of the Pokemon(RNG), making them lose %15 health

*a Wingull will come and drop a random item on one of the pokemon (RNG). Either good or bad item.

Others:Only pokemon in their first form may enter. No event will hapen twice in a row.

I'll try it, should be a simple enough debut for my ASB career :B

Righto. Gonna make two challenges to fill my remaining two battle slots, both fittingly located around Sinnoh's Battle Zone.

First:

Battle Format: 2 vs. 2 double battle
Damage Cap: 32%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, weather

Arena: Stark Mountain entrance

The area outside the entrance to Stark Mountain, covered in a blanket of ash, which continuously falls heavily from the sky, making it somewhat hard to see. The mouth of the cave is in a sort of pit, surrounded by a steep, rocky hill. On top of the hill is a patch of very hardy grass. There are two lava pits in the lower area, one wide and shallow in front of the entrance, and the other to the left of the entrance, deep, narrow, and spewing a stream of ash.

The falling ash and heat from the volcano work together as a special weather condition. The heat powers up Fire-type moves, weakens Water-type moves, damages Pokémon with Dry Skin, and changes Weather Ball to a Fire move, just like the heat during strong sunlight. However, the sunlight is not strong at all; the ash clouds largely block it out, meaning Solarbeam takes extra time to charge and has halved power, while Morning Sun, Moonlight, and Synthesis heal less, just like during rain, hail, or a sandstorm. Also, the thickly-falling ash works just as well as blowing sand for the purposes of Sand Rush, Sand Force, and Sand Veil, and it reduces accuracy by 10% for all Pokémon except Fire, Rock, Ground, and Steel-types. Air Lock and Cloud Nine suppress the heat and ash like any other weather condition. Furthermore, this weather is very stubborn, and will not change for weather-inducing moves or abilities. (Anything not mentioned works as it does without weather—Castform doesn't change, Thunder's accuracy is 70% [before the drop from the ash], etc.)

The heat of the lava pits is not great enough to damage anyone without touching it, but they still pose some danger. First, if one of the battlers does fall in, they'll sustain 12% Fire-type damage and a severe burn as they bounce right out (like in a platformer!) Second, Earthquake and Magnitude cause small eruptions from the lava pits, identical in effect to a full-power, STAB-boosted Eruption hitting the entire arena. (Both trainers and the ref will be given lava-proof umbrellas, courtesy of Science.) In both these cases, the damage is treated like any regular Fire attack: it's affected by type alignments, triggers abilities, et cetera.

Additional Rules:
  • No fully-evolved Pokémon, including evolutionary singletons
  • Each side may send out at most one Fire-type. I have three reasons for this:
    1. Two Fires versus two Fires would drag on;
    2. Two Fires versus one Fire and something else would be pretty imbalanced;
    3. I only have the one Fire-type anyway, so the first scenario is moot and the second could only happen in my disfavour. 8)

---

Second:

Can I take the first one? I have a feeling that my last battle will end veeeeery shortly. If it doesn't, though, anyone else is free to take it.

Not that I mind you asking, but isn't there a link somewhere on my profile where you can see it?

Again, nooby stuff, but we're all new to something once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom