• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
3vs3 single
Style: Switch
DQ: 8 days
Damage cap: 25%
Banned moves: OHKO moves, weather-changing moves, 20 chills
Arena: Surrounded plain

A fairly large and unremarkable plain, with the exclusion of the fact that it is surrounded entirely by rock walls, has a sizeable lake on the southern side, and the fact that the heavans refuse to obey any pokemon, thus preventing the weather ever changing from a nice autumn day.
Other: Only 100% unevolved pokemon may be used

2vs2 double
Banned moves: OHKO moves, 20 chills
Arena: Cave Entrance

Unlike most cave arenas, this one is situated both in the cave and a little bit outside, although mostly in the cave. When outside, weather-changing moves can affect the combatants, although it is only half as effective as usual due to overhead cover from some nearby trees. In the cave itself, the weather makes zero difference at all. Beyond that, this place isn't really all that remarkable in the least.

Last edited:
I still have some funky battle styles I want to try out, but it's been a loooong time since I just had a straight-up normal battle. Like, possibly years. So let's do that now instead.

(Also I will totally post my commands in the tournament battle tomorrow ffff)

2vs2 Single
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: None
Arena: Backtract Cataract

High up among Asber's eastern mountains a glacier-fed waterfall plunges over a hundred feet down a sheer rock face, tracing rainbows in the air and setting up a din that echoes back a hundredfold from the surrounding peaks. It is considered one of the region's greatest natural treasures, and it no doubt would draw a considerable bounty of tourists if it weren't high up in the middle of pokémon-infested nowhere.

The area directly below the falls is quite pleasant, though. The river branches and breaks across the uneven ground, trickling down into a spreading network of streams and pools, all colonized by enterprising mountain fish and pokémon. It is a particularly fine one of these that the trainers have found, nestled in a gravelly dip overflowing with flowering bracken and stunted pines. The falls' roar still reverberates in the air, but the water, though cold, is calm and bitingly clear, forming a pool about two meters wide and a meter deep at its deepest point. Overall, it is the picture of tranquility at the heart of the wilderness--which, of course, makes it prime territory to utterly wreck with a pokémon battle.

The noise of the waterfall will overwhelm sound-based moves, so damaging sound-based moves have their base power reduced by 50, while non-damaging sound-based moves have their accuracy/success rate reduced by 30%.

I still have some funky battle styles I want to try out, but it's been a loooong time since I just had a straight-up normal battle. Like, possibly years. So let's do that now instead.

(Also I will totally post my commands in the tournament battle tomorrow ffff)

2vs2 Single
DQ: 1 Week
Banned Moves: None
Arena: Backtract Cataract

High up among Asber's eastern mountains a glacier-fed waterfall plunges over a hundred feet down a sheer rock face, tracing rainbows in the air and setting up a din that echoes back a hundredfold from the surrounding peaks. It is considered one of the region's greatest natural treasures, and it no doubt would draw a considerable bounty of tourists if it weren't high up in the middle of pokémon-infested nowhere.

The area directly below the falls is quite pleasant, though. The river branches and breaks across the uneven ground, trickling down into a spreading network of streams and pools, all colonized by enterprising mountain fish and pokémon. It is a particularly fine one of these that the trainers have found, nestled in a gravelly dip overflowing with flowering bracken and stunted pines. The falls' roar still reverberates in the air, but the water, though cold, is calm and bitingly clear, forming a pool about two meters wide and a meter deep at its deepest point. Overall, it is the picture of tranquility at the heart of the wilderness--which, of course, makes it prime territory to utterly wreck with a pokémon battle.

The noise of the waterfall will overwhelm sound-based moves, so damaging sound-based moves have their base power reduced by 50, while non-damaging sound-based moves have their accuracy/success rate reduced by 30%.

...now you know I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll take ya on for a simple fight!

2vs2 double
Banned moves: OHKO moves, 20 chills
Arena: Cave Entrance

Unlike most cave arenas, this one is situated both in the cave and a little bit outside, although mostly in the cave. When outside, weather-changing moves can affect the combatants, although it is only half as effective as usual due to overhead cover from some nearby trees. In the cave itself, the weather makes zero difference at all. Beyond that, this place isn't really all that remarkable in the least.

This looks fun and I haven't evolved any pokémon yet so I'll fight you.

3vs3 single
Style: Switch
Banned moves: OHKO moves, weather-changing moves, 20 chills
Arena: Surrounded plain

A fairly large and unremarkable plain, with the exclusion of the fact that it is surrounded entirely by rock walls, has a sizeable lake on the southern side, and the fact that the heavans refuse to obey any pokemon, thus preventing the weather ever changing from a nice autumn day.

I'll take this challenge. Looks simple enough.

2vs2 Double
Damage cap: 34%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, weather moves, direct healing, explode/self-destruct/perish song/destiny bond(when it is a 1v1 or 1v2 situation and one of the pokes on the team of 2 remaining uses it), and 12 chills
Arena: Animé-Style Battling

The Pokémon battle in a large and mysterious triangular room. The ceiling is infinitely high, so flying is allowed, and there's enough room to accommodate Pokémon like Wailord. The floor is made of a thick and sturdy but somewhat malleable material that can be used for moves like Rock Tomb, although any rocks, etc. formed are made of weirdfloor, not stone or whatever, and so will be changed to Normal-type. Other than this, there is nothing particularly special about the room itself... other than the fact that its three walls are not solid but actually portals to different parts of the ASB universe. Passing through each wall by any means (intentionally, thrown through, etc.) will cause the Pokémon to enter that universe just long enough for something to happen before it is warped back:

The ASB Central wall (colored red)- the Pokémon suddenly appears in a busy, bustling metropolis full of people and Pokémon dashing around to the bank, various businesses, etc. Pokémon with a base speed of 80 or higher are fast enough to dodge through the swarming crowd but must expend 5% energy to do so. Pokémon with a base speed of 79 or lower aren't quick enough to escape the rush and so take 5% damage from being knocked around. (Ref, check an online Pokédex like Veekun if you don't know the base stats.)

The Tournaments and Gym Battles wall (colored blue)- the Pokémon suddenly appears right in the center of the stage just as a well-loved coordinator and their Pokémon are making a spectacular appeal for the Grand Festival. The Pokémon's surprise arrival startles the performing Pokémon so badly that it can't perform its appeal; this disappoints the audience so much that they boo and hiss vehemently and throw things at the offender. While this does no damage, it makes the offender feel so incredibly guilty and unloved that it cannot perform its next action.

The ASB School wall (colored yellow; this is a garishly ugly room, isn't it?)- the Pokémon suddenly appears in the midst of a small group of decrepit buildings. It looks like an abandoned school campus of some sort. It seems there is nothing here... but there is also an air of extreme displeasure at your arrival. There is a 50% chance of nothing happening and the Pokémon is simply returned to the battle; if the other 50% comes up, an angry Sneasel leaps out from behind a building, a voice shouts "BEGONE!" and the Sneasel attacks the offender with Poison Jab. This does no damage, but the offender is now moderately poisoned. (Steel-types, Poison-types and Pokémon with the ability Immunity cannot be poisoned, as normal.)

Other: I did not make this arena; It is entirely of Kratos Aurion's creation. I refuse to take credit for his genius(or is it insanity?), and yes he has allowed me(or anybody, really) to use this arena, and any others he has created.
I would prefer if the pokemon used aren't evolved at all, although I wouldn't fuss that much if you decide to use evolved pokes.
Finally, if possible, I would prefer to face Kratos Aurion-it is his arena, and who better to face than the creater of it? I won't, however, turn down a challenge; I'll just reserve this challenge for a couple days, then I will accept challenges from others.

2vs2 Double
Damage cap: 34%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, weather moves, direct healing, explode/self-destruct/perish song/destiny bond(when it is a 1v1 or 1v2 situation and one of the pokes on the team of 2 remaining uses it), and 12 chills
Arena: Animé-Style Battling

The Pokémon battle in a large and mysterious triangular room. The ceiling is infinitely high, so flying is allowed, and there's enough room to accommodate Pokémon like Wailord. The floor is made of a thick and sturdy but somewhat malleable material that can be used for moves like Rock Tomb, although any rocks, etc. formed are made of weirdfloor, not stone or whatever, and so will be changed to Normal-type. Other than this, there is nothing particularly special about the room itself... other than the fact that its three walls are not solid but actually portals to different parts of the ASB universe. Passing through each wall by any means (intentionally, thrown through, etc.) will cause the Pokémon to enter that universe just long enough for something to happen before it is warped back:

The ASB Central wall (colored red)- the Pokémon suddenly appears in a busy, bustling metropolis full of people and Pokémon dashing around to the bank, various businesses, etc. Pokémon with a base speed of 80 or higher are fast enough to dodge through the swarming crowd but must expend 5% energy to do so. Pokémon with a base speed of 79 or lower aren't quick enough to escape the rush and so take 5% damage from being knocked around. (Ref, check an online Pokédex like Veekun if you don't know the base stats.)

The Tournaments and Gym Battles wall (colored blue)- the Pokémon suddenly appears right in the center of the stage just as a well-loved coordinator and their Pokémon are making a spectacular appeal for the Grand Festival. The Pokémon's surprise arrival startles the performing Pokémon so badly that it can't perform its appeal; this disappoints the audience so much that they boo and hiss vehemently and throw things at the offender. While this does no damage, it makes the offender feel so incredibly guilty and unloved that it cannot perform its next action.

The ASB School wall (colored yellow; this is a garishly ugly room, isn't it?)- the Pokémon suddenly appears in the midst of a small group of decrepit buildings. It looks like an abandoned school campus of some sort. It seems there is nothing here... but there is also an air of extreme displeasure at your arrival. There is a 50% chance of nothing happening and the Pokémon is simply returned to the battle; if the other 50% comes up, an angry Sneasel leaps out from behind a building, a voice shouts "BEGONE!" and the Sneasel attacks the offender with Poison Jab. This does no damage, but the offender is now moderately poisoned. (Steel-types, Poison-types and Pokémon with the ability Immunity cannot be poisoned, as normal.)

Other: I did not make this arena; It is entirely of Kratos Aurion's creation. I refuse to take credit for his genius(or is it insanity?), and yes he has allowed me(or anybody, really) to use this arena, and any others he has created.
I would prefer if the pokemon used aren't evolved at all, although I wouldn't fuss that much if you decide to use evolved pokes.
Finally, if possible, I would prefer to face Kratos Aurion-it is his arena, and who better to face than the creater of it? I won't, however, turn down a challenge; I'll just reserve this challenge for a couple days, then I will accept challenges from others.

Haha, I didn't really think this one would appeal to too many people. Probably ought to write more of these so that page is less... bleh. But all right, I'll battle you if you'd like! :)

(Thanks for that nice email, by the way!)

Sounds great. I'll take you on, in whichever you like-both, if you want.

Sorry, forgot to edit saying I can accept no more challenges, as I am already taking on 3(one vs thunder, one vs Zapi, and one vs Kratos Aurion). Maybe next time?

Last edited:
Battle Format~~A quick 3v3 Battle, two trainers (including me), three Pokémon per trainer.
Battle Style~~Set
DQ Time~~One Week
Damage Cap~~40%
Banned and Restricted Moves~~One Hit K-Ohs.
Arena Description~~~~~A very simple beach. To one side is the sea, to the other is a sheer cliff, full of sharp and dangerous rocks. The sandy stretch is about fifty feet from coast to shore. The sea is deep enough for purely aquatic Pokemon, the sand is perfect for digging in and sky is wide open and perfect for Flying in. This arena is suitable, no matter what Pokemon you plan to use.

Battle Format~~A quick 3v3 Battle, two trainers (including me), three Pokémon per trainer.
Battle Style~~Set
DQ Time~~One Week
Damage Cap~~40%
Banned and Restricted Moves~~One Hit K-Ohs.
Arena Description~~~~~A very simple beach. To one side is the sea, to the other is a sheer cliff, full of sharp and dangerous rocks. The sandy stretch is about fifty feet from coast to shore. The sea is deep enough for purely aquatic Pokemon, the sand is perfect for digging in and sky is wide open and perfect for Flying in. This arena is suitable, no matter what Pokemon you plan to use.

I'll accept your challenge!

Challenge for Lord of the Fireflies.

3v3 single
DQ: 1 week
DC: 30%
Banned Moves: Direct healing, OHKOs
Arena: Pokémon Tower
Considered by many to be of a sacred nature, this looming structure houses the bodies of many deceased Pokémon. Countless trainers come to pay their respects every day. Two of them, however, have decided to have a battle here.

Effects:
Looks like the spirits that live in the Tower want to watch this battle too. Every action, there is a 25% chance that the moving Pokémon will be frightened by the spirits and flinch. Ghosts and Pokémon with Guts are immune to this.

Other: If LotF's reached his battle limit/exploded in a cloud of poisonous gas, someone else can take me on.

Challenge for Nyuu.

3vs3 single
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Banned Moves: Chills are limited to 3 per Pokémon. Direct recovery moves (recover, moonlight, wish etc...) are restricted to 2 per Pokémon.
Arena: Mediterranian Grasslands.

The dominant grassy vegetation makes this area seem quite plain at first but upon closer examination, various scorch marks and patches of dead and damaged grass make evident the popularity of this particular grassland for Pokémon battles. The vast, open territory is cut into two main segments by a deep river which opens out in to a vast lake. In tandem, the grassy expanse and lake means all Pokémon species are comfortable battling, suffering no penalties to any move. On the other hand, the bland nature of the environment means that no Pokémon gains any extra advantages due to the terrain, either.

Other notes: None.

Challenge for Nyuu.

3vs3 single
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Banned Moves: Chills are limited to 3 per Pokémon. Direct recovery moves (recover, moonlight, wish etc...) are restricted to 2 per Pokémon.
Arena: Mediterranian Grasslands.

The dominant grassy vegetation makes this area seem quite plain at first but upon closer examination, various scorch marks and patches of dead and damaged grass make evident the popularity of this particular grassland for Pokémon battles. The vast, open territory is cut into two main segments by a deep river which opens out in to a vast lake. In tandem, the grassy expanse and lake means all Pokémon species are comfortable battling, suffering no penalties to any move. On the other hand, the bland nature of the environment means that no Pokémon gains any extra advantages due to the terrain, either.

Other notes: None.
I accept! rawr >:3

2vs2 single
DQ Time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: Weather moves
Arena: Model Railroad

The Pokémon have been miraculously shrunken to fit on a model railroad table, with a working train and everything. To the trainers, the table is only a meter on either side. There's a large lake (relatively speaking) in one corner, and a smattering of trees which condense into a forest at the other corner. By default, the track runs right in between the lake and the forest, though it can be shifted as the trainers wish.

Map:
(t = tree)
(w = water)
(/ = railroad tracks)
(> = railroad car)

..123456789ABCDEFGHIJK
1 ttt--tt------------/
2 tt-ttt--t---t-----/-
3 ttt--------------/--
4 t-t---t----t----/---
5 t-------------t/----
6 ----t----t----/-----
7 -----------t-/------
8 --t---------/-------
9 -----t-----/--------
A ----------/----t----
B ---------/----------
C ---t----/----------w
D -------/-t-------www
E ------/--------wwwww
F ---t-/-------wwwwwww
G ----/-------wwwwwwww
H ---/------wwwwwwwwww
I --/-----wwwwwwwwwwww
J ->----wwwwwwwwwwwwww
K /----wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Railroad tracks can be added or taken away, as can railroad cars. Cars will only be able to move to adjacent spaces which also have tracks on them, and move at a rate of one space (direct or diagonal) per action. They can be controlled (stopped, started, and directed) by the trainers. Each trainer gets one train command per action, and order is determined by the Pokémon's speed. Order can be specific (go northwest) or general (keep going forward). Orders will be ignored when impossible (no track exists or another car is in the way) or if there is a fork and no direction is indicated.

In addition to tracks and cars, trees and mountains can be added or removed. Mountains are impassible barriers except by flying Pokémon, though tracks can be built through mountains to allow passage. Trees can be used for hiding or whatever other clever purpose you come up with. Mountains are noted by "*". Each Pokémon fits approximately in one square, and their positions are noted by "@"

Each trainer can indicate one map change (adding or removing a piece) when they call their attacks in addition to the train directions - indicate the piece (track, car, tree, mountain) and the position (row-column). Trees cannot be layered with anything and cars can only be placed where there are tracks. Mountains can be layered on tracks and vice versa, and though cars can go through mountains if tracks exist they cannot be placed in or taken away from a mountain space.

So, to conclude: In addition to attacks, you need to indicate up to 3 train controls and up to 1 map change.

Should be fun.

2vs2 single
DQ Time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: Weather moves
Arena: Model Railroad

The Pokémon have been miraculously shrunken to fit on a model railroad table, with a working train and everything. To the trainers, the table is only a meter on either side. There's a large lake (relatively speaking) in one corner, and a smattering of trees which condense into a forest at the other corner. By default, the track runs right in between the lake and the forest, though it can be shifted as the trainers wish.

Map:
(t = tree)
(w = water)
(/ = railroad tracks)
(> = railroad car)

..123456789ABCDEFGHIJK
1 ttt--tt------------/
2 tt-ttt--t---t-----/-
3 ttt--------------/--
4 t-t---t----t----/---
5 t-------------t/----
6 ----t----t----/-----
7 -----------t-/------
8 --t---------/-------
9 -----t-----/--------
A ----------/----t----
B ---------/----------
C ---t----/----------w
D -------/-t-------www
E ------/--------wwwww
F ---t-/-------wwwwwww
G ----/-------wwwwwwww
H ---/------wwwwwwwwww
I --/-----wwwwwwwwwwww
J ->----wwwwwwwwwwwwww
K /----wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Railroad tracks can be added or taken away, as can railroad cars. Cars will only be able to move to adjacent spaces which also have tracks on them, and move at a rate of one space (direct or diagonal) per action. They can be controlled (stopped, started, and directed) by the trainers. Each trainer gets one train command per action, and order is determined by the Pokémon's speed. Order can be specific (go northwest) or general (keep going forward). Orders will be ignored when impossible (no track exists or another car is in the way) or if there is a fork and no direction is indicated.

In addition to tracks and cars, trees and mountains can be added or removed. Mountains are impassible barriers except by flying Pokémon, though tracks can be built through mountains to allow passage. Trees can be used for hiding or whatever other clever purpose you come up with. Mountains are noted by "*". Each Pokémon fits approximately in one square, and their positions are noted by "@"

Each trainer can indicate one map change (adding or removing a piece) when they call their attacks in addition to the train directions - indicate the piece (track, car, tree, mountain) and the position (row-column). Trees cannot be layered with anything and cars can only be placed where there are tracks. Mountains can be layered on tracks and vice versa, and though cars can go through mountains if tracks exist they cannot be placed in or taken away from a mountain space.

So, to conclude: In addition to attacks, you need to indicate up to 3 train controls and up to 1 map change.

Should be fun.

Seems interesting. I will take you on... That's two matches for Phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom