• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Challenge for Lord of the Fireflies.

3v3 single
DQ: 1 week
DC: 30%
Banned Moves: Direct healing, OHKOs
Arena: Pokémon Tower
Considered by many to be of a sacred nature, this looming structure houses the bodies of many deceased Pokémon. Countless trainers come to pay their respects every day. Two of them, however, have decided to have a battle here.

Effects:
Looks like the spirits that live in the Tower want to watch this battle too. Every action, there is a 25% chance that the moving Pokémon will be frightened by the spirits and flinch. Ghosts and Pokémon with Guts are immune to this.

Other: If LotF's reached his battle limit/exploded in a cloud of poisonous gas, someone else can take me on.

Since he's maxed, I'll take this one. If that's okay.

4 vs 4 Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Move Restrictions
: OHKO moves are banned, Evasion moves (Double Team, Minimize, etc) are banned, Weather moves are banned, Direct Healing moves limited to 1 / Pokémon, Chills limited to 3 / Pokémon.
Other restrictions: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (single-stage Pokémon are banned).

Arena: Underground Forest

Several meters under the sands of the Sahara desert grows an otherworldly forest. Nourished by an underground river and lighten up by rays of sun coming from various holes in the vault, this forgotten ecosystem is the home of various plants and animals that live in perfect harmony.
The battle will take place in a vast and mossy plain, in the middle of this huge underground forest. The plain is divided in two halves by a river, wide enough to contain two Wailmers side by side. Since the current is quite strong, battling in the river will cost additional energy. The opposite half can be accessed by a wood bridge dammed by generations of Bibarels, however if the bridge is hit by a strong attack it may break apart. Sharp rocks are scattered throughout the arena, and one must be careful not to fall on those. The vault is high enough for any Pokémon to fly. Tall trees are also scattered on the plain, and home of various bugs and other arboreal Pokémon.

Effects:

-- Due to the high humidity rate, all Water moves will deal an additional 1% damage and all Fire moves will deal 1% less damage after all calculations, and every mushroom-y Pokémon will gain a permanent +1 boost in special Defense, which isn't erased by Haze and co.
-- An action spent in the river will cost an additional 1% energy for water-type Pokémon and 2% for other Pokémon.
-- A Pokémon thrown against a rock will take 3% rock-type damage.
-- A Pokémon thrown against a tree will take 3% bug-type damage for disturbing its various inhabitants.
-- If the bridge is hit by an attack with 120 base power or higher, it will fall apart and the user of the move will be attacked by a horde of Bibarels that will deal 10% Normal-typed and 5% Water-typed damage.
-- At the beginning of each round, one of each of the following events will happen with equal possibility:

1. A bunch of Combee will fly around the battlers and give some Honey to each, restoring 5% Energy.
2. A Tropius will land near a random battler, offering a banana. The banana restores 5% Health.
3. A group of Jumpluff and Whimsicott will fly on top of a random battler, dropping cotton spores. The affected battler will be considered under the effects of Cotton Spore (-2 Speed) and Cotton Guard (+3 Defence) for the rest of the round.
4. A Nosepass will come rolling around clumsily. It has a 50% chance of hitting a random battler, dealing 5% Rock-Type damage. It will then feel terribly sorry and to catch up it will try to shield the hit Pokémon. For the rest of the round, all attacks aimed at the shielded Pokémon have half of their original accuracy.
5. A Slowpoke will come out of the river and activate the effect of Trick Room for the rest of the round. If Trick Room is already in effect, its duration will be extended by three actions.
6. A Luvdisk will swim to the battlers in the river and give them some help. Each battler currently in the river will regain 3% Health and Energy and will be cured of every status except infatuation.
7. A baby Kangaskhan will come running to the field and will sit there for the rest of the round. If a battler uses a damaging move that is wide-spread or has a chance to expand anywhere else than on the target, the baby will be hit and the mother Kangaskhan will arrive at very high speed and will strike the meanie with a terrible punch, dealing 10% Normal-type damage. Ghost-types are affected by this attack because the said Kangaskhan has the ability Scrappy. She will then flee with her baby.
8. A very noble and snobbish Ninetales will come out of the forest and will brag about the merits of Fire-types. Every Fire-type on the field will gain a +1 boost in Attack and Special Attack because of their increased confidence. This boost is permanent and can only be removed through the use of Haze and other boost-altering moves.
9. A group of Sneasel will appear out of what seems to be nowhere and steal the battlers’ item. If no item is hold, they will deal 4% Ice-type damage the Pokémon instead. The items are recovered after the battle, unless they are consumable (Berries, Air Balloon, Battery, etc.).
10. A lonely Shedinja will appear behind a random battler and transfer some Ghost-type energy. The battler gains the ability Wonder Guard for the rest of the round.

Kudos to anyone fool enough to ref this.

Last edited:
2vs2, singles
DQ Time: 10 days
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.). Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena: The Pilferbot Room

Deep within an old and rotting warehouse, lies hidden the most devious invention mankind made for Pokémon: the Pilferbot.

The arena for this battle is the warehouse itself. Specifically, one badly lit room in the deep center of a large deposit. The door leading out of the room faces a corridor that, in turn, leads into many other similar rooms. Most of them hold nothing but piles of junk, and some are completely empty. However, the one wherein the battle starts has the distinction of having the Pilferbot.

Sitting at the background of the fight, the mean machine sports indestructible armor and will not sustain damage from the battlers' actions. On the other hand, the heavy protection hinders the already fairly slow working process of the technological statement, meaning it will only be able to do its deeds every other action.

The fearsome ability of the Pilferbot is that, at the end of every round, there is a 70% chance (for each battler) that a Pokémon in the battlefield will be taken away and replaced by a Pokémon randomly pilfered from any registered trainer of the Asber League. For some reason, the machine makes it so health and energy levels are kept the same even after the very Pokémon is changed. The stolen Pokémon may be less than eager to fight in the conditions they're being put under, giving them, each action, a 15% chance of refusing to obey any commands, settling for no motion instead. Snatches off rich trainers (bank balance above $500 at the time of the stealing) will be even less compliant, with a 20% chance instead. It's also possible for a fresh steal to be one of the trainer's Pokémon -- leading to a 0% disobedience rate -- or one of the opponent's -- hefting the lack of compliance to a 60% chance -- or even one of the referee's -- a case in which the referee gets to set the disobedience percentage, anywhere between 0% and 60%.
Other: No Pokémon participating in this battle gain experience. Stolen Pokémon that don't belong to either of the battlers may not be affected by any effects that have a bearing outside battle. The winner will be awarded two Rare Candies, and the loser, one.

Negrek says the general idea is fine. If any of the specifics aren't, though, somebody stop me.

Part of me wants to ref that, part of me wants to battle in it and another part of me is saying shut up and learn to keep on top of everything I've already got going first, but nonetheless, a question: without the publicly-visible bank accounts, how is it possible to know who's a rich trainer and who isn't? I mean, it's pretty obvious in some cases *cough*, but not for most. You might want to try a different condition there so the ref doesn't have to go around asking everyone how much money they have. Not to mention that it'll be harder to keep track of who all is registered and valid for pilferin' in the first place... maybe you and your opponent could agree on a relatively large list of people you know are in ASB beforehand, and the ref just chooses from that? Or the ref could make the list, or... or something. Either way, as it stands that looks like a larger load on the ref than I think you were anticipating.

Well, I wrote that up before the new system and forgot to make it fit it.

I guess the rich trainer part can be eliminated. As for fishing out the trainers, well, I don't know how well this works, but, the ref could roll out a profile number (e.g. the link to my profile is http://forums.dragonflycave.com/member.php?u=2243; henceforth, rolling me would require a 2243). Alternatively, I could find the old Profile Archive (assuming it's still around), and rolls could be made from there (though of course that would be only for the purposes of determining the trainer).

2vs2, singles
DQ Time: 10 days
Banned Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.). Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena: The Pilferbot Room

Deep within an old and rotting warehouse, lies hidden the most devious invention mankind made for Pokémon: the Pilferbot.

The arena for this battle is the warehouse itself. Specifically, one badly lit room in the deep center of a large deposit. The door leading out of the room faces a corridor that, in turn, leads into many other similar rooms. Most of them hold nothing but piles of junk, and some are completely empty. However, the one wherein the battle starts has the distinction of having the Pilferbot.

Sitting at the background of the fight, the mean machine sports indestructible armor and will not sustain damage from the battlers' actions. On the other hand, the heavy protection hinders the already fairly slow working process of the technological statement, meaning it will only be able to do its deeds every other action.

The fearsome ability of the Pilferbot is that, at the end of every round, there is a 70% chance (for each battler) that a Pokémon in the battlefield will be taken away and replaced by a Pokémon randomly pilfered from any registered trainer of the Asber League. For some reason, the machine makes it so health and energy levels are kept the same even after the very Pokémon is changed. The stolen Pokémon may be less than eager to fight in the conditions they're being put under, giving them, each action, a 15% chance of refusing to obey any commands, settling for no motion instead. Snatches off rich trainers (bank balance above $500 at the time of the stealing) will be even less compliant, with a 20% chance instead. It's also possible for a fresh steal to be one of the trainer's Pokémon -- leading to a 0% disobedience rate -- or one of the opponent's -- hefting the lack of compliance to a 60% chance -- or even one of the referee's -- a case in which the referee gets to set the disobedience percentage, anywhere between 0% and 60%.
Other: No Pokémon participating in this battle gain experience. Stolen Pokémon that don't belong to either of the battlers may not be affected by any effects that have a bearing outside battle. The winner will be awarded two Rare Candies, and the loser, one.

Negrek says the general idea is fine. If any of the specifics aren't, though, somebody stop me.

This actually sounds really fun. I am in if Kratos doesn't want it first.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to ref Metallica Fanboy's Pilferbot battle, if Kratos can't. I've always wanted a chance to really mess around with an RNG and it'd be pretty fun.

5vs5 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: 6 days
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned moves: OHKO's.

Arena: Monopoly Board

Simple. A Monopoly board. But, two games at once?!?! Yes, there is a Monopoly game going at the same time as the battle! This means money will flutter overhead and pawns will race around the board. This means there is a 30% chance that a random pawn hits a battler for 5% steel-type damage.

5vs5 Single
DQ: 6 days
Banned moves: OHKO's.

Arena: Monopoly Board

Simple. A Monopoly board. But, two games at once?!?! Yes, there is a Monopoly game going at the same time as the battle! This means money will flutter overhead and pawns will race around the board. This means there is a 30% chance that a random pawn hits a battler for 5% steel-type damage.

I'll take this, but could you lower the damage cap to 49%?

EDIT: Fixed some spelling errors and crap.

Battle Format: 2vs2 Single

Battle Style: Set

DQ Time: 2 Weeks

Banned and Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Chills, Healing Moves/Abilities/Items, Evasion/Accuracy Lowering/Raising Moves/Abilities/Items. Any move used that can do any of the above will fail. Any items that can do any of the above will fail. Any ability that can do any of the above will fail to activate.

Arena Description: A plain, white, featureless, paper.

A paper. You are battling on a piece of paper. These things are normally... Easy to tear, right?
No, not this one. Not to the touch, at least.
The cool thing about this Arena...

The ref is given a drawing tablet, who can draw on it any time during a match. The drawings on it will show up on the Arena as real structures and items. Oh, and the ref has different colors.
The ref has a somewhat complete control over the stage, and is allowed to decide whether an item can be damaging or not.
Depending on the item, it can score a supereffective hit. (Eg. Snivy getting burned by oncoming lava from a volcano)
The default damage for these are 5%, but do 10% if based on an element that would be suppereffective, and 3% if the Pokemon resists the type.

There is a 20% the ref might experience artist's block, leaving the stage a sheet of paper for one round. In that time, the paper may accidentally or purposely be attacked, the size of the resulting hole depending on the element and power of the move. A Grass Type Attack can make a small hole, a Water Type Attack can make the paper soggy, making it rip if stepped on. A Fire Type Attack can burn the paper, resulting in a large hole, and a small fire spreading around the paper.
The fire does 5% damage regardless of the type, unless the Pokemon has an ability that makes it immune to Fire.
The resulting hole has a 30% of being fallen in, resulting in a 10% to the Pokemon that fell in. It is then brought back up by a mysterious force.
The holes and fire will disappear after one round. Before it disappears, you can order your Pokemon to step in the hole or in the fire, at a cost of one action.

Finally, the ref cannot be biased to a member. He/She must use a 6-sided die. If it lands on 1 or 2, my Pokemon get damaged. If it lands on 4 or 5, the foe must take damage. If it lands on 3, both of us take damage, and if it lands on 6, the ref can choose.

7. Additional Rules: Both trainers are limited to Fire, Water, and Grass base Pokemon.

Last edited:
Battle Format: 2vs2 Single

Battle Style: Set

DQ Time: 2 Weeks

Banned and Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Chills, Healing Moves/Abilities/Items, Evasion/Accuracy Lowering/Raising Moves/Abilities/Items. Any move used that can do any of the above will fail. Any items that can do any of the above will fail. Any ability that can do any of the above will fail to activate.

Arena Description: A plain, white, featureless, paper.

A paper. You are battling on a piece of paper. These things are normally... Easy to tear, right?
No, not this one. Not to the touch, at least.
The cool thing about this Arena...

The ref is given a drawing tablet, who can draw on it any time during a match. The drawings on it will show up on the Arena as real structures and items. Oh, and the ref has different colors.
The ref has complete control over the stage, and is allowed to decide whether an item can be damaging or not, along with whether it hits a particular foe or both. Depending on the item, it can score a supereffective hit. (Eg. Snippy getting burned by oncoming lava from a volcano)
The default damage for these are 5%, but do 10% if based on an element that would be suppereffective, and 3% if the Pokemon resists the type.

There is a 20% the ref might experience artist's block, leaving the stage a sheet of paper for one round. In that time, the paper may accidentally or purposely be attacked, the size of the resulting hole depending on the element and power of the move. A Grass Type Attack can make a small hole, a Water Type Attack can make the paper soggy, making it rip if stepped on. A Fire Type Attack can burn the paper, resulting in a large hole, and a small fire spreading around the paper.
The fire does 5% damage regardless of the type, unless the Pokemon has an ability that makes it immune to Fire.
The resulting hole has a 30% of being fallen in, resulting in a 10% to the Pokemon that fell in. It is then brought back up by a mysterious force.
The holes and fire will disappear after one round. Before it disappears, you can order your Pokemon to step in the hole or in the fire, at a cost of one action.

Finally, the ref cannot be biased to a member. He/She must use a 6-sided die. If it lands on 1 or 2, my Pokemon get damaged. If it lands on 4 or 5, the foe must take damage. If it lands on 3, both of us take damage, and if it lands on 6, the ref can choose.

7. Additional Rules: Both trainers are limited to Fire, Water, and Grass base Pokemon.

I will battle you.

Ok, I have found a cool arena that I am willing to battle people on.

3vs3 Double
DQ: A week.
Banned Moves: OHKO
Arena: The Internet
a string of data is where the trainers start, but pokemon can jump to other strings of data.
10% chance that lag will occur and slow down a random pokemon.
15% chance that a spammer will appear and cause 5% typeless damage to a random pokemon.
10% chance that a flamer will appear and cause 7% fire type damage to a random pokemon.
10% chance that a troll will appear and cause 15% dark type damage to a random pokemon.
5% chance that a hacker will appear and halve a random Pokemon's health and energy.
10% chance that a mod will appear and ban a random pokemon from using the last attack it used.
10% that a random pokemon will get RickRoll'd and only be able to use attacking moves (taunt) and be confused.
24% chance that nothing will happen.
Additional Rules: the porygon family spends 1% less energy on attacks after all other modifiers have been applied and their attacks do 5% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied.

Credit to Magikarp for the arena.

My sig moves

Ok, I have found a cool arena that I am willing to battle people on.

3vs3 Double
DQ: A week.
Banned Moves: OHKO
Arena: The Internet
a string of data is where the trainers start, but pokemon can jump to other strings of data.
10% chance that lag will occur and slow down a random pokemon.
15% chance that a spammer will appear and cause 5% typeless damage to a random pokemon.
10% chance that a flamer will appear and cause 7% fire type damage to a random pokemon.
10% chance that a troll will appear and cause 15% dark type damage to a random pokemon.
5% chance that a hacker will appear and halve a random Pokemon's health and energy.
10% chance that a mod will appear and ban a random pokemon from using the last attack it used.
10% that a random pokemon will get RickRoll'd and only be able to use attacking moves (taunt) and be confused.
24% chance that nothing will happen.
Additional Rules: the porygon family spends 1% less energy on attacks after all other modifiers have been applied and their attacks do 5% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied.

Credit to Magikarp for the arena.

My sig moves

This seems interesting, I'll take you on.

*premier battle woo*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom