• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

I completely forgot I posted here >.<
I gave up the Magikarp and beat the game with Empoleon and Kingdra. They are now in the nineties, due to me EVing Pokémon for competitive battling.

I'm trying out a simple Flying monotype challenge on Sapphire. :D Never done a monotype before! I wasn't going to post here for a few more gyms, but I just wanted to let out how damn HARD the third gym is with only Flying Pokemon. XD Especially when one of those is Water, and I didn't want to overlevel to make the game more challenging.

For my monotype, I won't use any of the legendaries (so no Salamence for me), only pretty basic Pokemon. These are my details at the moment, after beating Watson in Mauville:

Badges: 3
Type: Flying
Time: 13:00

SWELLOW level 25
- Peck
- Double Team
- Wing Attack
- Quick Attack

PELIPPER level 26
- Water Gun
- Shock Wave
- Supersonic
- Wing Attack

GOLBAT level 26
- Wing Attack
- Supersonic
- Steel Wing
- Bite

(and HM and Revive slaves)

How did I beat the third gym? Water Gun and Supersonic have never been more useful... >___< Combined effort from all three of my Pokemon, I feel so attached to them now... XDD

EDIT: Update~! I've now done six gyms (all have been pretty simple), and this is my team now:

Badges: 6
Type: Flying
Time: 24:57

SWELLOW level 39
- Fly
- Endeavor
- Aerial Ace
- Quick Attack

PELIPPER level 38
- Surf
- Shock Wave
- Supersonic
- Wing Attack

CROBAT level 39
- Air Cutter
- Confuse Ray
- Steel Wing
- Bite

ALTARIA level 39
- Peck
- Ice Beam
- Take Down
- Dragonbreath

Last edited:
Progress so far:

Name: BLUE (♀)
Time: 21:02
Pokedex: 22
Badges: 6

Earned badges from Koga and Sabrina, with little to no problems. Caught more Pokemon, including Zapdos. Killed Articuno, and am going through Pokemon Mansion.

Team:

raichu
LEO (RAICHU) ♂
Level: 48

Attacks:
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Mega Punch
Dig

Electrode
VINN (VOLTORB)
Level: 45

Attacks:
Spark
Rollout
Sonicboom
Selfdestruct

jolteon
JEREMY (JOLTEON) ♂

Attacks:
Shock Wave
Double Kick
Quick Attack
Pin Missile

magneton
GLEN (MAGNETON)
Level: 34 (In training)

Attacks:
Spark
Sonicboom
Thunder Wave
Supersonic

electabuzz
EVA (ELECTABUZZ) ♀
Level: 45

Attacks:
Psychic
Thunderpunch
Swift
Light Screen

zapdos
XAINE (ZAPDOS)
Level: 50

Attacks:
Drill Peck
Steel Wing
Aerial Ace
Detect

P.S.
Am I the only one who hates going through Pokemon Mansion? -_-

I know I just posted but I have nothing better to do, and I made some good progress I wish people to see (whoever is still reading this thread... I mean, is it dead?)

Well, anywho...

Progress so far:

Name: BLUE ()
Time: 24:31
Pokedex: 22
Badges: 8

WHAT HAPPENED: Went through Pokemon Mansion! Beat Blaine: not too hard, went to the islands: nothing too exciting, went back too vermilion, beat Giovanni: I thought I'd have some trouble, but then I remembered I have Zapdos :sunglasses:!

CURRENTLY: training for the Pokemon League!

Team:

raichu
LEO (RAICHU)

Attacks:
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Mega Punch
Dig

Electrode
VINN (VOLTORB)
Level: 46

Attacks:
Spark
Rollout
Sonicboom
Selfdestruct

jolteon
JEREMY (JOLTEON)
Level: 51

Attacks:
Shock Wave
Dig
Double Kick
Quick Attack

magneton
GLEN (MAGNETON)
Level: 47

Attacks:
Thunder
Tri Attack
Spark
Lock-On

electabuzz
EVA (ELECTABUZZ)
Level: 46

Attacks:
Psychic
Thunderpunch
Brick Break
Swift

zapdos
XAINE (ZAPDOS)
Level: 53

Attacks:
Drill Peck
Fly
Steel Wing
Aerial Ace

Last edited:
I'm still reading the thread, actually; I'd like to get back into monotyping, but the only game I can really use is Emerald. I tried monotyping Ground on Emerald and couldn't beat Wallace. x_x Maybe if it were Ruby, but I like Emerald a lot better. Maybe I'll pick up a Dark or Normal monotype...

Ooh, I've been monotyping my FireRed game with the water type only!

Up to the point where you get Eevee, my squad consisted of my starter and the Magikarp you can buy, which did eventally evolve just before arriving in Vermillion.

Brock was easy. Bubbled to death.
Misty was a challenge since she resisted most of my attacks. Staryu gave me more trouble than Starmie since Starmie is weak against Wartortle's bite.
I skipped Lt. Surge and pressed straight on to Erika knowing that I could get a Vaporeon and TM it with Ice Beam from the game corner. Erika gave me no problems.
Koga was next and was defeated easily.
I then went back and beat Surge.
Beat the Rocket Boss in Silph Co. and am going to fight Sabrina soon.

Blastoise, level 40.
  • Rapid Spin.
  • Bite.
  • Water Pulse
  • Protect

Gyarados, level 38.
  • Twister
  • Strength
  • Dragon Rage
  • Bite

Vaporeon, level 39.
  • Ice Beam
  • Aurora Beam
  • Bite
  • Quick attack

Lapras, level 37.
  • Surf
  • Body Slam
  • Confuse Ray
  • Ice Beam

Seadra, level 34.
  • Bubble
  • Smokescreen
  • Twister
  • Water Gun

I frequently read this thread... I'm just really bad about updating.

I just arrived in Sootopolis City in my Grass mono on Emerald. My Pokemon are fairly decently leveled I think. I'm a little worried about Ice Beam from the next gym, but I'll find some way to handle it.

Team:
Lombre
Tulsa Lv.41
I'm not completely sure whether I want to keep using her or not. If I do, I'll probably evolve her.
Tropius
Pius Lv.42
Cacturne
Mia Lv.42
Cradily
Lilio Lv.42
I'm not really sure how to use a Cradily. Suggestions, please?
Breloom
Misha Lv.43
Sceptile
Treel Lv.43

Hmm...I'm probably going to start a monotype in Leafgreen soon. Any good suggestions?

Depends on how much time I have.

Last edited:
I'll probably start one of these too. It seems like a fun challenge, plus it's an excuse to restart one of my games, which I've been meaning to do for a while. I think I'll go for a Flying mono in Firered. Ahem.

Final Team Members:
Charizard
Pidgeot
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Dragonite

Last edited:
Flying looks diverse but Fire and other types with not so many secondary types look harder which is kinda the point of this...oh well, I probably won't start soon, I'm restarting PMD and then PMD2. Maybe after.

I'm thinking about doing another mono since I'm sort of stuck on my Grass mono (and too lazy to train). I was thinking a Normal or Flying mono on Fire Red or the original Red. But I
can't decide...

Edit: Doing a Flying mono on Fire Red.

I'm currently fighting the E4 in my Grass mono.

Last edited:

First Update:

Name: Keiko
Pokedex: 10
Badges: 2
Current Location: Route 9

Team Members

Asher
charmeleon
Male
Lv. 28
Moveset: Scratch, Scary Face, Metal Claw, Ember

Aero
pidgeotto
Female
Lv. 27
Moveset: Tackle, Wing Attack, Gust, Quick Attack

Negima
gyarados
Female
Lv. 21
Moveset: Tackle, Splash, Bite

Events
Started the game, picked Charmander and beat my rival (Kazuho). I flew by the first events of the game, then caught a Pidgey as soon as I could. Raised my Charmander to level 15, then challenged Brock. He was owned by Metal Claw. Before heading into Mt. Moon, picked up a Magikarp from the salesman, raised her up as much as I could, then headed for Cerulean. I couldn't beat Misty at first, so I skipped her momentarily and went to Vermilion where Negima finally evolved into a Gyarados. (It was difficult getting her to Lv. 20; Who knew Magikarps were that hard to train? :/) Finally killed Misty with Bite from Negima and then used Cut to get Old Amber. I can't decide between Scyther or Aerodactyl; but I'll figure it out eventually. By the way, I skipped Lt. Surge since I don't think I'll fare too well-even with some level advantage. Aaaand now I'm awaiting to zip through Rock Tunnel.​

*bump*

I promise to finish this. I promise.

Siggy: Fenrir
Cartridge: Leaf Green
Type: Water
Time: 0:40
Shinies: 1
Parked: Outside Mount Moon

Magikarp
Lv06
Sassy / Swift Swim
Splash

Wartortle
Lv18
Lax / Torrent
Tackle / Tail Whip / Water Gun / Withdraw​

Does another challenge count? Because I'm beating Yellow with only Pokemon that have symbols in their name. My final team will be Nidoran F, Nidoran M, Farfetch'd, and Mr. Mime. I just beat Brock with F-Bomb the Nidoran F and Mmm... the Nidoran M.

Oh dear, I seem to have gone 9 months without doing anything on my Emerald, and even longer since I posted here. Therefore I'll put my team first as a reintroduction.

Team:
Swampert
Kip, Male, Level 48
Return
Mud Shot
Brick Break
Foresight

Starmie
Peach, Level 47
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Psychic

Ludicolo
Lily, Female, Level 47
Surf
Giga Drain
Rain Dance
Nature Power

Sharpedo
Bruce, Male, Level 47
Surf
Crunch
Slash
Swagger

Kingdra
Sid, Male, Level 47
Surf
Dragonbreath
Ice Beam
Agility

Golduck
Dave, Male, Level 42
Surf
Confusion
Dive
Waterfall

Dave is a HM slave, but being a higher level than anything else, and within my monotype, will make my team up to 6 for the elite four.

Kip will swap Mud Shot for Earthquake, Bruce, Lily and Sid will drop their last move if anyone can suggest better ones, and the same applies to Kip's Foresight

Anyway, recently I've been training up Sid, and then trying to pass though victory road. Wally managed to jump me by being at the other end to Ruby, leaving me unprepared to deal with him. I also managed to make some mistakes, but had quite a bit of luck. It did, however, get me to use the water stones I had for Lily and Peach. Victory road wasn't the problem I was expecting, and now it's back to training up for the Elite Four.

Does another challenge count? Because I'm beating Yellow with only Pokemon that have symbols in their name. My final team will be Nidoran F, Nidoran M, Farfetch'd, and Mr. Mime. I just beat Brock with F-Bomb the Nidoran F and Mmm... the Nidoran M.

It wouldn't count as a monotype per se, but I think you might be allowed to post other challenges here (including only Pokémon whose names begin with a certain letter, not evolving your Pokémon at all, catching the first six you see and using those, only using your starter - like that one challenge that got posted a while back - and of course monos). Maybe we should create one big "game challenge" topic, though?

Siggy: Fenrir
Cartridge: Leaf Green
Type: Water
Time: 1:25
Shinies: 2
Parked: Nugget Bridge

Magikarp
Lv15
Sassy / Swift Swim
Tackle / Splash

Wartortle
Lv23
Lax / Torrent
Bite / Tail Whip / Water Gun / Withdraw​

Emerald:

swampert
Kip, Male, Level 54
Return/Earthquake/Brick Break/Foresight

Ludicolo
Lily, Female, Level 53
Surf/Nature Power/Giga Drain/Rain Dance

Starmie
Peach, Genderless, Level 53
Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic

Sharpedo
Bruce, Male, Level 53
Surf/Crunch/Slash/Swagger

Kingdra
Sid, Male, Level 53
Surf/Dragonbreath/Ice Beam/Agility

Well I beat the elite four easier than I expected. Sidney barely put up a fight, and Phoebe didn't do much more. Glacia only caused problems when she hit wish sheer cold twice in a row, although Drake's Kingdra did present a slight challenge.

Wallace wasn't much of a problem really - once Ludicolo and Whiscash were gone Peach (AKA Mary Sue, it seems) was able to thunderbolt most things, although a PP shortage by this point meant I ended up using Psychic by the end.

I also caught the Weather Trio. Rayquaza was the easiest - It was caught in the first ultra ball. Groudon I restarted once because it hit with fissure three times in a row, and then a couple of times when I knocked it out. Kyogre has nothing of note, apart from the fact that it and Rayquaza were both caught as soon as my Tropius HM slave went out as a wall.

I'm stopping for a while now - I'm having a break before I train for Steven and I also need a Milotic and Crobat for the Hoenn Dex. Milotic will be done as soon as I get around to it on Ruby, and as for Crobat that'll have to wait for my other monotype to be done...

LeafGreen Poison Monotype

I actually started not long after I did Emerald, when I took over my brother's save file. Since he started with Bulbasaur, and this had to stay in the team, I could only use grass or poison, and since grass would leave me with a whole 4 pokemon to chose from Poison it was. I'm at Lavender Town, my brother having run back from halfway along the rough because Nidorina was paralysed.

Current Team:

Venusaur
Female, Level 33
Razor Leaf/Tackle/Leech Seed/PoisonPowder

Nidorina
Female (Obviously), Level 32
Double Kick/Scratch/Bite/Poison Sting

Golbat
Male, Level 32
Wing Attack/Bite/Leech Life/Confuse Ray

Planned Additions:
Haunter (By the time I can evolve it my brother will probably want the game back)
Tentacruel

And one of:
WeezingMukVenomoth

Back
Top Bottom