• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Death Penalty

We should make prisoners perform some useful service for society, but that's a different debate completely.

An annoying thing is that "life" doesn't always mean that they'll die in prison.

Alright then. I'll emit, prisoners escaping, and killing other prisoners isn't exactly a good argument. So sue me. But it's been known to happen before.

And no, I won't stop posting. I'll just try and stop my ignorance. >.>

*Drinks coffee* Now I'm good to argue :]

Okay, the premise of the death penalty is to deliver a sentence that is equivalent to the crime committed, no more or less. If a man kidnaps, rapes, then kills a little girl, then I say he is worthy of the death penalty. If what goes around comes around, then I don't see why we should let these kinds of people free to live. Sure, some can re-grow their lives and repent, but those who don't; it's they who deserve death.

Killing someone who has no means to kill you is called murder.

Murder, by dictionary definition, is the unlawful killing of a human being, especially with torture. To me, the death penalty is a legal punishment with no intent of hurting the person who's about to die (just ending them). Killing a person saves them from spending the rest of their lives in a big metal box, with 20 foot think walls. Is it just me, or would I rather die then spend the rest of my life like that. Honestly, keeping some of those criminals alive is torture. Keeping them in a metal box, feeding them until their too old to die; that's murder. Not the death penalty. And that includes jail. I don't think people should live their entire life in jail, because that worse then just simply killing them (Although, Harlequin probably right when she says it doesn't mean they die in prison, but you get my idea).

And, moving away from the criminals, I go back to my idea of how much money we're wasting on people who deserve less then those who are actually starving. Now, I'm not saying that we should kill all murderers, but we should kill the worst ones. The ones with no chance or repenting.

Lock them in a jail cell? They might escape!

Lock them in a jail cell with no contact with any human beings? They might escape!

Lock them in a solid steel cube, with 20 foot thick walls? They might develop heat vision, melt through the steel, and escape!

But in reality, as long as prison guards are doing there job, there isn't a way for the prisoner to escape.

Do you really think that we should spend all that money, creating jail cells with 20 foot think walls? Can you imagine the cost? And what's worse, is that the cost is payed by tax dollars. Which is Injustice! A man rapes and kills a little kid, and the family has to help pay to keep the criminal alive in jail?! Supporting that man so much that he probably has a better diet and medical care then THE VICTIMS!

Ta-flipping-da! I say, the death penalty shroud stay, and unless you can up up with a better argument that can actually convince me instead of insulting me, then, then I'll change my mind.

See what coffee can do?

bla bla bla I'm trying to be self-righteous

stop drinking coffee and stop posting still

and harlequin is a he

Murder, by dictionary definition, is the unlawful killing of a human being, especially with torture. To me, the death penalty is a legal punishment with no intent of hurting the person who's about to die (just ending them). Killing a person saves them from spending the rest of their lives in a big metal box, with 20 foot think walls. Is it just me, or would I rather die then spend the rest of my life like that. Honestly, keeping some of those criminals alive is torture. Keeping them in a metal box, feeding them until their too old to die; that's murder. Not the death penalty. And that includes jail. I don't think people should live their entire life in jail, because that worse then just simply killing them

that
is
the
whole
point
of
punishment

it
sucks
so
you
learn
something
from
it

you
dont
learn
anything
from
dying

Murder, by dictionary definition,

when will people realise that dictionary definitions are useless in debates?

Honestly, keeping some of those criminals alive is torture. Keeping them in a metal box, feeding them until their too old to die; that's murder. Not the death penalty. And that includes jail. I don't think people should live their entire life in jail, because that worse then just simply killing them (Although, Harlequin probably right when she says it doesn't mean they die in prison, but you get my idea).

Isn't the point of a punishment to, you know, punish? Isn't life imprisonment much more of a punishment than the death penalty, inhumane as it is? You're arguing against yourself here!

Okay, the premise of the death penalty is to deliver a sentence that is equivalent to the crime committed, no more or less. If a man kidnaps, rapes, then kills a little girl, then I say he is worthy of the death penalty. If what goes around comes around, then I don't see why we should let these kinds of people free to live. Sure, some can re-grow their lives and repent, but those who don't; it's they who deserve death.

So how do you propose rapists should be punished?

Also, you seem to have ignored all of my points.

I think dragon_night seems to ignore pretty much every logical point so I don't think I cba to argue this one out

*clears throat*

Okay, the premise of the death penalty is to deliver a sentence that is equivalent to the crime committed, no more or less. If a man kidnaps, rapes, then kills a little girl, then I say he is worthy of the death penalty. If what goes around comes around, then I don't see why we should let these kinds of people free to live.

You say that the death penalty is an equal punishment for something like kidnap, rape, and murder. The thing is, the prisoner isn't going to get raped and kidnapped, just murdered. That seems to be letting him off pretty easily, don't you think?

Sure, some can re-grow their lives and repent, but those who don't; it's they who deserve death.

How can you tell which ones will eventually re-grow their lives and repent? You can't.

Killing a person saves them from spending the rest of their lives in a big metal box, with 20 foot think walls. Is it just me, or would I rather die then spend the rest of my life like that. Honestly, keeping some of those criminals alive is torture. Keeping them in a metal box, feeding them until their too old to die; that's murder. Not the death penalty. And that includes jail. I don't think people should live their entire life in jail, because that worse then just simply killing them (Although, Harlequin probably right when she says it doesn't mean they die in prison, but you get my idea).

Okay, so now the death penalty is sparing the prisoner? I thought this was supposed to be a punishment.

Do you really think that we should spend all that money, creating jail cells with 20 foot think walls? Can you imagine the cost?

I don't think that we should keep every murderer inside a jail with 20 foot thick walls, I was using that to show that "but they can always escape" argument doesn't work. And as I said after that, that kind of prison isn't necessary as long as you have prison guards doing their job.

A man rapes and kills a little kid, and the family has to help pay to keep the criminal alive in jail?! Supporting that man so much that he probably has a better diet and medical care then THE VICTIMS!

So you just said that it was torture to have to spend their lives in jail, and now you say that they are probably living better than the victims. Contradiction much?

And about the cost being too high, if we (at least the US) were to spend the money we do on other things *coughiraqcough* on basic living supplies for prisoners, then there would not be a problem. And even if it is still extremely expensive, at least you would not become a nation of murderers. It's the price you pay to keep your humanity.

err what do you mean by humanity do you really think human beings have that much dignity

rapists, murderers, felons, thieves, serial killers; do you know how many people actually commit crimes? I think humans are mostly a bunch of pigs and then some. the issue is where do you draw the line. whats important enough to chuck someone in jail and waste resources on that person staying there and what isnt

err what do you mean by humanity do you really think human beings have that much dignity

rapists, murderers, felons, thieves, serial killers; do you know how many people actually commit crimes? I think humans are mostly a bunch of pigs and then some. the issue is where do you draw the line. whats important enough to chuck someone in jail and waste resources on that person staying there and what isnt

Well if you want to be so pessimistic about it...

Humanity as in living by common morals that the majority of humans share, i.e., killing is bad.

It is in no way known whether or not capital punishment is cheaper than life imprisonment, so please stop using this as an argument.

common morals if it suits them really, i mean, common morals wouldn't allow bush to send soldiers to iraq to mercilessly die in shitty conditions

but hey there's oil and money to be found and we need to keep the weapons industry happy and the gears of the war machine turning so you know

i dont give a shit about those fucking morals people keep harping on about. show me your fucking morals when you're stuck with a gun in your hands shooting down these people in desert terrain. there are no morals in war. fuck that.

to relate war to the topic at hand: war is basically a death penalty for thousands of people that haven't done as much wrong as murderers or serial killers but will once they spend years in remote areas battling "terrorists"

Holy ****

Check out this link. Scroll to the bottom...

• The California death penalty system costs taxpayers $114 million per year beyond the costs of keeping convicts locked up for life.
Taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each of the state’s executions. (L.A. Times, March 6, 2005)

• In Kansas, the costs of capital cases are 70% more expensive than comparable non-capital cases, including the costs of incarceration.
(Kansas Performance Audit Report, December 2003).

• In Indiana, the total costs of the death penalty exceed the complete costs of life without parole sentences by about 38%, assuming
that 20% of death sentences are overturned and reduced to life. (Indiana Criminal Law Study Commission, January 10, 2002).

• The most comprehensive study in the country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the
costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment. The majority of those costs occur at the trial level. (Duke University, May 1993).

• Enforcing the death penalty costs Florida $51 million a year above what it would cost to punish all first-degree murderers with life in
prison without parole. Based on the 44 executions Florida had carried out since 1976, that amounts to a cost of $24 million for each
execution. (Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000).

• In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at
the highest security level for 40 years. (Dallas Morning News, March 8, 1992).

No more using the "it's too expensive argument."

Okay, the premise of the death penalty is to deliver a sentence that is equivalent to the crime committed, no more or less. If a man kidnaps, rapes, then kills a little girl, then I say he is worthy of the death penalty.

Everyone's already made this joke, but that criminal isn't going to be kidnapped and raped before his death penalty, is he?

Thieves aren't stolen from after they've stolen, and we've gotten over the "CUT OFF HIS HAND" phase of punishment.

If what goes around comes around, then I don't see why we should let these kinds of people free to live. Sure, some can re-grow their lives and repent, but those who don't; it's they who deserve death.

We don't let them free to live, we put them in prison for their life, derp?

Killing a person saves them from spending the rest of their lives in a big metal box, with 20 foot think walls. Is it just me, or would I rather die then spend the rest of my life like that. Honestly, keeping some of those criminals alive is torture. Keeping them in a metal box, feeding them until their too old to die; that's murder. Not the death penalty. And that includes jail. I don't think people should live their entire life in jail, because that worse then just simply killing them (Although, Harlequin probably right when she says it doesn't mean they die in prison, but you get my idea).

Wait wait, so one minute you say we have to punish people who commit horrible crimes because they commit horrible crimes, but now you're saying you'd rather give them a 'get out of jail free' card because prison for life might be a bit too hard for a murderer?
What the hell, man?

Also, by your 'definition' of murder earlier on, prison is not murder; especially since they don't have any intent on killing them, they intend to punish them. Meanwhile, capital punishment is just there to murder them.

Ta-flipping-da! I say, the death penalty shroud stay, and unless you can up up with a better argument that can actually convince me instead of insulting me, then, then I'll change my mind.

We have come up with conclusive arguments.
You haven't.

See what coffee can do?

Make your arguments worse?

@-@

capital punishment should be first altered to be humane.

I firmly believe that people who have been sentenced to life imprisonment should have the option of 'death penalty or serve for life'. Not forced either way. If someone would rather die than live the rest of their lives behind bars, then let them; if not, then don't force it.

"GIVE HIM THE DEATH PENALTY!!!"

"oh no guys it turns out he's innocent"

"uh"

"what now"

Surskitty said:
I firmly believe that people who have been sentenced to life imprisonment should have the option of 'death penalty or serve for life'. Not forced either way. If someone would rather die than live the rest of their lives behind bars, then let them; if not, then don't force it.

QFT

Altmer said:
that
is
the
whole
point
of
punishment

it
sucks
so
you
learn
something
from
it

you
dont
learn
anything
from
dying

also QFT

The California death penalty system costs taxpayers $114 million per year beyond the costs of keeping convicts locked up for life.
Taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each of the state’s executions. (L.A. Times, March 6, 2005)

capital punishment should be first altered to be humane.

The Lethal injection is about 40 Australian dollars (from memory) and it's relatively humane (ow, a needle... oh look, I'm dying).

I think that if that evidence has proven sufficiently that someone has raped, murdered, tortured people or molested children, then they deserve the Death Penalty.

That being said, the last Australian killed by hanging was innocent. Oops.

I'm kinda torn on this issue. I don't think that prison is enough, because too many rapists get out on parole with good behavior or whatever, then re-offend. I do like the new method of chemically castrating rapists though. >:)

The Lethal injection is about 40 Australian dollars (from memory) and it's relatively humane (ow, a needle... oh look, I'm dying).

This is not true. Google "inhumane lethal injection" and you will get a LOT of news reports, studies, etc.

Holy ****

Check out this link. Scroll to the bottom...

No more using the "it's too expensive argument."

Damn ya beat me to it. D:

Also:
ultraviolet said:

Stuff can be administered improperly. It is very painful (or so I've heard).

The thing is, we don't know weather or not it is painful, because they actually inject the person with a needle multiple times. One is to completely paralyze them so they can't move, and the second stops the heart. It is the second shot that people think might be extremely painful.

And if you don't like the idea of these people getting out on parole, there is the option of life without parole, which I think is what all death row prisoners should get.

Back
Top Bottom