• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Evolution of Your Musical Tastes

oh, i went from

whatever the hell i could get (parents' cds, pokemon osts, what have you) -> evanescence and the odd mcr song -> oddball music; gorillaz and daft punk were pretty much the only bands i listened to -> electronica/techno whatever -> pop-punk and "alternative rock," like motion city soundtrack and the starting line, the only bands from these days i don't hate -> entry-level indie rock, gogogo death cab for cutie -> a lot of stuff. pretty much classics in the pitchfork canon, but i get a real kick out of television, the vu, sonic youth, my bloody valentine, joy division, david bowie, the stooges, the new york dolls, blondie, talking heads, and brian eno. as for modern rock music, other than of montreal and cat power i stay far far away. instead i go for electronic music; the avalanches, the knife, daft punk and justice ftw. oh, and portishead. (i'm also starting to like animal collective..)

Video game music --> modern rock --> whatever --> Queen --> classic rock in general --> bit o' most things

Um. Honestly I'll try anything once, and there are still plenty of songs that I like that aren't part of the genres I'm "into" (I've got some rap, Disney songs, parody songs of various flavors, Latin somethingorother, gospel, movie themes and god knows what else on my mp3 player and computer) but as for what I listen to predominantly... um. Something like pop/rock > 80's pop/rock > still some 80's pop/rock but mostly metal.

And I'm not going to try and define the genres any further because I suck royally at that--I still don't know jack about most of the people who sing/play the songs I like or genres I listen to, and I don't care enough to sit through Altmer or Furret or the other metal connoiseurs lecturing me and everyone else on "no, this is really that" or whatever. So by "metal" I mean whatever genre(s)/subgenre(s) would include stuff like Freedom Call, Angra, Dark Moor, Edguy, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Iron Maiden, Lunatica, Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, Apocalyptica, Kamelot, Tyr, Therion and van Canto. As far as I'm concerned the only genres are "Kratos likes it" and "Kratos doesn't like it", so classify those as you will.

Last edited:
I listened to that song you recommended a few months ago and decided that yeah, they're p. cool. Thanks, btw.

Because I rarely post in music topics?

I mean, I like what I like and I'll list what I like, but I'm really not into actually discussing music like you are.

Progressive Rock -> Video Game Music -> Japanese Cartoon OSTs (they sure beat the crap music most western cartoons are set to)

I've always had a thing for prog rock because my dad used to listen to it all the time (still does some of the time). There's one or two bands I listen to that fall outside the definition of prog (The Doors, The Beatles are two I can think of) that I listen to from time to time, too

There's one or two bands I listen to that fall outside the definition of prog (The Doors, The Beatles are two I can think of) that I listen to from time to time, too

Haha, I used to listen to the Beatles all the time when I was a kid. The first CD I ever bought was the Yellow Submarine soundtrack when I was 11 :3

Shakira -> Avril Lavigne -> Green Day -> Japanese Pop (Utada Hikaru et al) -> Placebo -> Mika -> Benjamin Biolay -> Pet Shop Boys -> Serge Gainsbourg -> Kraftwerk -> [ Beatles -> David Bowie

I listen to all of the bolded equally, actually, but this is sort of how I evolved music-wise. That's why even though Pet Shop Boys are my favourite band they're sort of in the middle.
Note that one name often means any bands that sound like it.
I'm also getting into swing music now so this may change soon!

Kids songs->chart pop/techno/whatever was on the radio->video game music->whatever-->um, not really sure...

I at least know for sure I don't like 1 and 2 anymore.

Country/western --> 80's pop --> 80's rock --> Pop --> Poprock --> Poppunk --> Punk --> General Rock --> A fine mixture of everything except for rap and hiphop

Pop/Rock → Rock/Metal → Metal → Rock/Metal
pretty much sums up my life up to this point. The shifts only began when I was about eleven/twelve.

As far as metal alone goes... Power/Generic → Power/Progressive → ??? random mix of crap
"generic"= Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc. Not meant in an insulting way. This is just the albums I buy; I still listen to mostly Power/Prog and so on, just because I already have loads of the stuff, and because I still like it. Now I buy mostly Prog and, as I said, a "random mix of crap"

and for favourite bands it's
no clear favourites → Linkin Park → DragonForce → Sonata Arctica → Sonata Arctica & Opeth

Like the OP, Bold will indicate what I still listen to.

Random Songs -> Pop -> Alternative Rock -> Reggae

As for bands:

Random Bands -> Green Day -> FLOW -> Fall Out Boy -> Gackt -> Avril Lavigne -> Incubus -> 311/Sublime/Bob Marley

Back
Top Bottom