• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The future of the league

Negrek: Was that comment directed at the idea of a modded server, or just the server in general? Because as far as the regular server goes, there wouldn't be anything special about it--just a few standard metagame tournaments to start. Depending on how it works out we may end up having to define our own tier list in addition to the ban list, but for the first few simple tournaments we'd probably just piggyback off of Smogon's tier list or something (if I can figure out what on earth they did with the BL tier... I haven't been looking *that* hard for the explanation but yeah, no idea what happened there).

Jetx: For the time being, yes, since the Shoddy thing is an experiment right now. As I told rock-ground, I don't intend to take anything *away* unless it seriously isn't working out, because the last thing I want to do is chase more people away. It may eventually become equal parts Shoddy and wi-fi (assuming that there is still interest in the wi-fi, which is why I felt the need to start this topic in the first place), but I'm not getting rid of anything.

Prettzel: Brawl would probably be a good idea, I suppose, although I don't currently know of any other games that a lot of people on the forums play.

I was talking about the server in general; basically, what I meant was that I didn't see a lot of good in just being like, "Okay, here's a server. Go play now, guys." If you've got stuff you're going to be running on it right away, though, that's cool.

(if I can figure out what on earth they did with the BL tier... I haven't been looking *that* hard for the explanation but yeah, no idea what happened there)
A new UU list is being put together; basically, all BL's were brought down and are at present legal in UU. Soon they're going to start banning the things that have been seen as too powerful in that environment back to BL. So at the moment, there is no BL tier at Smogon.

I'm sure I'd use this forum a lot, but my WiFi just doesn't work with my DS. I've been trying to fix it, but there's been hardly any quick-fixes for it, and none that work.
I like the idea for Brawl, my WiFi works fine with my Wii.

Something which would make me more active is if the league itself was more active. I haven't had a SINGLE challenge in my gym, actually (Although I realize that I can challenge others, well, like I said, the league isn't very active)

After all, if nobody else is active, then there is nobody to challenge, so why bother? If people tried challenging me a couple times, then I would see that the league is active and I would, in turn, start challenging others, since I know that I am more likely to have a battle then instead of my challenge going on ignored

Also, my wifi is a little spotty in some rooms of my house XD Nothing major, of course

I realize that that's the problem, Icalasari. Which is why I continually ask for suggestions to increase activity. I can't do anything to make it more active if I don't know what would interest people.

I would definitely become active in this area of the forum if we added shoddy. I am a huge fan of what I've used of shoddy.

Just an interesting update: the D/P version of NetBattle was just released. It's still very buggy, doesn't have Platinum moves, and lacks a ladder. However, it does have double battles and D/P Challenge Cup. You might want to consider which program you'd like to run the league on.

Edit: Forgot the download link, if you're interested.

Ah, that is interesting. Funny, I thought Netbattle development had stopped. I guess someone else has been working on it?

The ladder isn't really a concern at this point--if we were to have our own server for Shoddy I don't believe we'd have access to one anyway, since from the looks of things (again, I don't use Shoddy often enough to really know for sure) it's only on the official server. If people really want some sort of ladder play I suppose it can be looked into, though so far I haven't heard anyone say they care one way or another about any sort of ranking system at all.

Since we won't be setting up our own server for anything for a little while, I don't see the harm in experimenting with both. Perhaps we could hold a Shoddy tournament and then a DPNB tourney, and see which people prefer? I've been in a doubles-ish mood myself lately, so something that supports doubles would be my preference, but given the bugs and such... eh. We'll see. I'll give it a look, thanks for that.

If anyone else has anything else to say, speak up. I'll see what I can come up with as far as Brawl goes, and I'm going to start setting up a Shoddy tournament in the meantime. Nothing too complex, probably just a standard, single-elimination deal to start things off and ease into the experiment. Unless, that is, everyone really, really wants to start off with something quirkier. I'll also see about starting up another Wi-Fi tourney as well. Probably Little Cup, since that should be simple enough.

AH. I'd totally participate on NB. Shoddy doesn't work at all on my computer, so it's really not an option. x_X But uh. Yeah. NetBattle's fun.

Though Negrek, that download link doesn't work.

Indeed. Download got moved here.

Also know that this only works on Windows computers. I'm not sure if that was true of the old NB, but it's true of this release.

Yeah, I realized. I'm sure most of the members here use Windows so it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know about Linux or Mac. I can try running under Wine on my Ubuntu install, though, so if that works then there's that option for people with Linux.

It doesn't seem horribly buggy or unstable on a first impression, but then I only tried building one quick team and only had two complete battles so it wasn't exactly an extensive test. Seems stable enough for now, though.

Yeah, the bugs aren't functionality-related (from what I understand) since the old NetBattle was pretty solid in that regard; they're things like surf not hitting everyone else on the field in double battles, turn events not all in the right order, etc.

Yeah... after the update they posted on the site I just noticed that Azelf apparently wasn't Psychic-type >>; But the only thing on that entire list I even used was Grass Knot, and the guy kept switching his Blissey and Salamence into it so I wouldn't have noticed.

I was able to install NB on my Ubuntu computer, but I couldn't get it to run afterward. I'm pretty sure it's just because that computer is old and cranky, though. At some point I'll try again on my laptop, which should be significantly faster and will hopefully give me an actual result.

This forum has just never really held very many keen gamers. It became apparent ages back, when that random guy registered here and invited us to join that online tournament against gamespot/marriland/serebii/smogon/ect.

Also, i'm not sure about the others here, but I haven't played D/P letalone touched the DS for quite some time now.. The occasional random D/P tournament here and there is fun imo, but a sustainable D/P Wi-Fi system won't functiopn properly without said keen gamers. =\

Since Platinum is released and includes additional Nintendo Wi-fi Activities like Mini Games, Poffin Cooking, Battle Frontier and Video Sharing, is there going to be a separate request thread to do these activities?

There may be; it's an idea, and Battle Frontier runs are something I've wanted to do. I'll think about how to handle it and get back to you when I have regular internet access again; for the time being, just use the Battle Tower thread.

You know, I have been on Smogon lately, and I just realized something:

This place tries to be Smogon but fails due to the lack of people

I think that, if TCoD tried forming its own tiers and advertised around places that dislike Smogon's elitism (Its biggest flaw), then it may stand a chance

So? What does everybody think?

There are already loads of forums that do that. In any case, what bothers us about Smogon's tiers? We could create our own, sure, but I don't see that as all that much of a selling point. There's only one Smogon--how many not-Smogons are out there already?

The thing is, no, Icalasari, this is not supposed to be some sort of replacement for Smogon. It was never intended to be. It's just a place for the members of TCoD to arrange battles and trades for their Pokémon games, hopefully with at least a little semi-organized competition on the side for those who are interested. It's an additional activity for the forum members, just the same as, say, ASB and what have you; I assumed that since this is a Pokémon forum, a sizeable portion of the members would have DPPt and, if they had wireless access, would be interested in an opportunity to actually play the games with other people. If I was mistaken in that assumption then so be it, but I wasn't necessarily asking for suggestions on bringing in a slew of new competitive players and trying to unseat Smogon or anything of the sort. What gave you the impression that that's what I meant?

I mean, new members with a strong interest in this sort of thing would certainly help boost activity, don't get me wrong. If you'd like to try your hand at advertising or whatever then you're welcome to, for all the good it will do, but I think you're misunderstanding what I'm asking.

Hmm, this sounds interesting...I got Platinum a little while ago and just found this place :O

Advertising would help, I barely knew of this place's existence before. I came from the link in Kratos's sig.

Shoddy...it's Okay for the people who don't want to do all the hard work of raising a Pokemon but Shoddy doesn't have that 'fun' feel. It's so serious which suits the usually competitive nature of Shoddy but probably isn't the best thing for this place. Of course we could just have both...

Back
Top Bottom