• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that the fact they have to protest is a good thing at all, but standing around with people sharing a common view waving amusing signs looks like one helluva lot of fun. I want to go and protest something. I don't really mind what, just as long as I get my cool sign.
It's the student thing to do :D

hey gays talkin to you queer from phoenix arizona

It's wonderful down here and I never wanna leave. CACTI!

Pictures!
Phoenix sounds supercool. From what I remember of it (it being built in the middle of a desert and whathaveyou) from year 8 geography.

Also! I really, really want to see the movie/documentary-thing about Harvey Milk. I've been watching trailers and interviews and all sorts and it look so, so good. LGBT history is so interesting (and sad).

Lucas Grabeel (Ryan in HSM) is playing a canon gay character this time!

It is really cool. I expected it to be all desert but it's not, it's just full of life.

Today we got up, went outside, and saw a hummingbird drinking nectar from little pink flowers.

I've heard it's supposed to be really good, Danni. My school's GSA was going to go see it, but then I stopped going to school and they didn't get to see it anyway, so... D=

It is really cool. I expected it to be all desert but it's not, it's just full of life.

Today we got up, went outside, and saw a hummingbird drinking nectar from little pink flowers.
Aww, that's adorable. It's great that you're having a good time too. I'd say more but I don't know much about Phoenix so er.

Also! I really, really want to see the movie/documentary-thing about Harvey Milk. I've been watching trailers and interviews and all sorts and it look so, so good. LGBT history is so interesting (and sad).
Oh yeah, I really want to watch it, too. Read about it in this month's Attitude, and even though I'm sure I'll be thoroughly depressed after the end of the film I'm intent on seeing it.
Unfortunately it comes out right in the middle of my exam week so I won't be able to check it out till January or something.

I don't wanna see that, it looks kinda sad. I'm not in the mood for sad things rite now.

Lol just went to the zoo, was so gay all over all the petting zoo goats. I would stand there and say LET THE CHILDREN COME and about five goats would wander over looking to be pet. There was one -- Angler, his name was -- whose spot I kept finding. You know, where you'd scratch him and his leg would start kicking... cept instead of that, goats just twist their heads all the way back as if to figure out what is making that wonderful scratch.

Ok I lied i do wanna see that documentary because I dunno I'm a terrible person.

fff goats are one of the best variety of animal. Fainting goats are pretty amazing.

Can anyone name more than like two or three serious LGBT-themed movies that don't depress you at the end? I mean Christ, let these people live happily for once.

I mean, when I think of all the queer movies I've seen, I don't really recall one that ends well. Brokeback Mountain, Priest, Boys Don't Cry... hell, even the ones that aren't totally depressing always end in a bitter way, like Another Country.
Maurice ends well enough, I suppose. I don't like the guy Maurice ends up with at the end though. Don't know why.
I ENJOY DEPRESSING MYSELF and crying like a little bitch over fictional people or people who died ages ago. waaah

Haha, this'll have spoilers for the endings, so I'll spoiler-tag it, but I can divide all the gay movies (virtually all lesbian-themed) I've seen into three groups - where one (or both) of the gay couple dies (or commits suicide), where the couple is split up for some reason other than death, and the couple actually getting (and staying!) together:

Spoiler tagged because I blatantly ruin the endings here. o.o
Wherein one/both characters dies/commits suicide:

Brokeback Mountain - Ennis is murdered at the end and they had to hide their relationship the whole time they were together.

Lost and Delirious - After her girlfriend refuses to see her after her family find out about their relationship, the lead character throws herself off a building.

Mulholland Drive - Everyone is messed up beyond belief and Diane shoots herself.

If Walls Could Talk 2 (part 1) - One of the couple dies at the very beginning and the rest of the story tells how miserable her left-behind partner is.

The Children's Hour - After fighting the rumour that they were together during the whole time, one of the characters admits her undying love for the other, is rejected, and hangs herself.

Love Actually - Had only one gay couple in with all the straight ones, and one of the gay couple dies in the middle of the night (for no reason, really). The whole storyline involving them was cut from the actual movie anyway.

Rent - Angel dies of AIDS

Milk - Milk is assassinated

Madchen in Uniform - The first actual lesbian movie; it had two endings, one where the lead character killed herself, and one where she didn't. Guess which was the only one the US ratings board would allowed to be played? No, seriously.

Wherein the main couple is split up by a force other than death (homophobia, insanity, family, society, not really being gay):

Loving Annabelle - The main character (a teacher in an all-girl's Catholic school) is arrested after being discovered to have had a relationship with one of her students.

The Monkey's Mask - One of the couple is a murderous psychopath.

Fried Green Tomatoes - They were canon in the book, but the main couple in the movie version are now "just friends".

Kissing Jessica Stein - Jessica enters into a really sweet relationship with another woman, comes out, wins over her traditional family and then... goes off with a man.

Gray Matters - The girl the main girl falls in love with is married to her brother and never leaves him.

My Summer of Love - The main couple are totally messed up and, after one tries to kill the other, they decide it's not really working.

Bend it Like Beckham - Was totally a gay movie, but both girls ended up straight. Go figure.

Tipping the Velvet - There were lots of pairings in this one, with lots of cheating and manipulation, though the main character finally gets into a decent relationship at the end. Doesn't really make up for all the abusive ones, though.

The World Unseen - The ending's a bit inconclusive, but they don't actually get together.

Movies where the main two actually get together!:

Imagine Me and You - This movie is so my guilty pleasure. It's the cutest thing ever. She leaves him to be with her.

But I'm a Cheerleader! - After enduing a "we make you straight! :D" programme for ages, the lead girls decide to get together.

D.E.B.S. - This one's cheesy as hell, but awesome.

If Walls Could Talk 2 (parts 2 and 3) - Make up for the utterly depressing fir part with two happy stories and a sex scene involving Sharon Stone and Ellen :o

Better Than Chocolate - Saw this aaages ago, but the main two end up happy at the end.

When Night is Falling - Has an awesome ending :)

Rent – Maureen and Joanne carry on being together (somewhat) happily, though they’re not exactly a match made in heaven.

So that’s 8 where one/both ends up dying, 9 where they don’t live happily ever after, and 7 where the lead two actually make it through.

Let’s face it; it’s not good for the gays. There are so few gay movies (and far, far fewer lesbian ones), and considerably less than a third end happily for us. :/

Well, at least now I've got a ton of films to look up in various torrent sites :v
But yeah, from the ones I've seen, very few end happily. Let me steal your spoiler-tag format to explain the movies/books I've checked out (and/or remember):

Priest: The main character is a priest, so of course this can't end well. He (Greg) falls in love with a cab driver and at one point they're starting to get down in the cab when a policeman shows up, Greg is shunned by the community and forced to live in some isolated house with a moldy old bitch of a priest, gets back to his original church, with the help of another priest and when the two stand side by side to do that wafer-giving thing, no one goes to Greg except this one girl (who's very important in the film, too), he hugs her and starts crying and we don't know whether he's going to get back with the cab driver THE END. (seriously though, this is a beautiful film and you should all watch it. Deals with incest and [heterosexual] priests being able to have normal relationships, if the gay factor isn't enough)

Boys Don't Cry: Trans movie based on a true story. Brandon gets raped and humiliated by two guys who eventually kill him.

Another Country: The main character doesn't get to stay with the man he loves and misses the chance of getting an important position because of other students. He does come out to his Commie best friend at the end of the film and lives to be an old man, which is better than nothing. One of two boys caught having sex by a teacher hangs himself near the begining, though.
But yeah, it's 1920s-30s England, what can you do.

L'Homme De Sa Vie: Obscure French movie gooo. Main character falls in love with his neighbour (and vice-versa) along the course of the movie, neighbour sleeps around a lot and the ending's open as hell. It's implied that the main character leaves his wife and kid, but apart from that we don't know anything.

Maurice: Maurice gets his heart broken by his Cambridge love, Clive (who insists their love must remain platonic and leaves him for some girl, saying he suddenly became straight and that Maurice will also go end his 'Greek' phase soon), tries to cure himself through hypnosis, gets told by hypnotist he can't be cured and gets told he should move to France or Italy if he wants to be with men legally and eventually falls in love with Clive's gameskeeper, Alec. They're together at the end, and even though I don't like Alec much it is a good ending for everyone except Clive.

There's also a Spanish film about three or four couples being the first to get married after Spain legalized same-sex marriage, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. They all get married in the end so yay.

Wilde: Bosie's a little bitch.

Teleny: is a book. They all try to kill themselves, lots of drama and plenty of people dying and overall a pretty brilliant parody. The sex scenes are pretty intense too, though they take some getting used to because of the purple prose used through-out all of them. (and some mood-killers like 'He himself was so tightly clasped that he could neither pull his instrument nor push it in, for when he tried to press it down he felt as if he was being circumcised'. All the random French is awesome, too)
But yeah this one's hilarious.

I haven't seen very many gay things and I have a terrible memory.

But in response to "how many serious gay moves aren't depressing at the end", I think the only ones that I've seen that count are When Night is Falling, The World Unseen (they don't get together as such, but it's hopeful~), Tipping the Velvet and uuuuh that's it because all the others aren't really serious - D.E.B.S is especially hilarious because it's set in an all-girls school that teaches you how to be a superspy and the lead girl ends up with the world's greatest supervillan X3
Better than Chocolate is too campy to be taken seriously, But I'm a Cheerleader! is a parody of the programmes aimed to make gay people stright again (it's hilarious, though), and Imagine Me and You is like a gay version of every British Rom-com ever (Notting Hill, Bridget Jones, Four Weddings, Love, Actually), so it doesn't really try to be realistic at all. But damn, it's cute.

Priest looks really good, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I spent all of last summer watching gay movies on youtube in the absence of anything else to do X3
I need to see more male-gay things (I've only seen Brokeback Mountain), but there's way more to choose from and I have no idea what's good or not. :/

The Children's Hour is very, very creepy, yes.

I can't find any male gay things sur l'Internet but I want to :( also excuse the random French I needed to for some reason.

oh actually I quite liked Another Gay Movie. It was funny for sure. Not serious but.

The World Unseen

Ooh, how did you watch that? I've looked for it on YouTube and done a search, but I couldn't find it - only the trailers and such. And they might not have been on YouTube; I can't be bothered to check. But yes.

Also, the movie might somehow actually be on YouTube and by some incredible miracle, I managed not to find it. That wouldn't be completely surprising. ;)

It looks like a lovely movie, and the review on afterellen.com makes me want to watch it even more.

Okay, you caught me X3
I've seen a ton of trailers, some clips and read reviews and interviews but haven't actually seen the movie. But I have read the book (which the director of the movie wrote, so I'm assuming she didn't change the ending or anything); I really want to see it~ And I Can't Think Straight, which is by the same author/director, too.

I read the book in a single day - it was that good :D

I'm keeping a patrol of Youtube waiting for someone to put it up, but I doubt it will be until it comes out on DVD (which I plan to buy anyway); I'm fairly sure it's being shown at film festivals now, and it's getting a limited cinematic release in the US soonish. It might come out in some UK cinemas, but probably only obscure ones. That said, the uni cinema shows a lot of indie movies, so there's a possibility there. But I'll buy it when it gets a R2 DVD release and watch it as soon as it's up on Youtube.

I had something to say in here and I forgo-- oh I remember now. It was sorta dumb anyways, just that like all the stores down in phoenix went HELLO LADIES oh and gentleman

Glad you guys are listing these, I'm pressed for things to watch (of course i could i dunno finish princess tutu and the magic school bus BUT).

Well, obscure gay movies are often uploaded onto youtube and stay there for quite a while because they don't get flagged as illegal, whereas something mainstream would be picked-up on straight away, which is handy.

afterellen and afterelton both focus on media, so they do some really good reviews and discussions and things about all the gay movies and TV shows if you're stuck for ideas about what you want to watch.

Books are harder to find, which is a pain. Massive bookstores have a Gay and Lesbian section, but they pretty much only exist in London, which I rarely visit. The only really mainstream gay-themed books I can think of that you can buy anywhere (in the UK, at least) are Sarah Water's novels, which are all set in Victorian London (except her newest one, The Night Watch, which is set in post-war Britian). They're very good, but it's not exactly variety. I finally made my own eBay account, so I can buy what I want without it showing up in my mother's emails (which was emarassing enough when I ordered a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar), but so far The World Unseen's the only one I've bought off there. Amazon's got a much wider range, but I've never bought something off there before :/

I have a list of authors I want to look out for and then go around all the local charity shops. There's normally some stuff by Stella Duffy, and Val McDermid's early stuff has a lesbian main character (who I love), but most of the authors are USians, so they're very, very rare.
Though last Friday I found a book in Canterbury's Oxfam Bookshop by Edmund White (my best friend who's doing American Studies at uni bought his book States of Desire - Travels in Gay America last year and I read and loved it), a gay novel called The Married Man and it's great so far.

And your avatar is rather terrifying at the moment, it must be said. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom