• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, to make this not!spam, guess who painted hir nails rainbowy? :D

APPROVAL :D
I've done that before. Though I have a terrible habit of picking at my nails, eating the paint and then feeling ill afterwards, though, so I don't do it anymore. I'm a fool.

I think the "genderqueer" thing is a lot more common than you'd think. I mean, who wouldn't want to be free from the social pressures put on you because of your sex? You're a guy, you must like sports! You're a girl, you must like pink! The gender binary is absolutely ridiculous, and wanting to be free of it, especially if you're not heterosexual, doesn't (or, at least, shouldn't) make you strange.

34458_133750419988255_118730108156953_267138_5132803_n.jpg

lol im theresa may, i like gays now im supposed to

Saw something that made me incredibly happy at my job the other day.

A woman comes through my register, wearing an absolutely huge gay pride pendant. I smiled like an idiot and told her I really liked her pendant, and that sent her into speech mode as she started talking about standing up for oneself and about America's hypocrisy (screaming "JUSTICE FOR ALL" when gays aren't even given equal rights and a story on how she was kicked out of the Mormon church because she might "abuse the children)). She thought I was a lesbian at first, and I felt kind of bad correcting her 'cause she was getting so into it. (In retrospect I probably should have told her I'm bi, but not saying it seemed like a good idea at the time)

If you've been around me for more than five seconds on this forum, you've probably heard me say that I live in the American south, and that the rampant ignorance and conservatism of the area and the people I see every day drives me fucking nuts. So to see that this woman not only had the COURAGE to wear that pendant in public, but also an entire arsenal of arguments to defend herself at a moment's notice was the coolest thing ever. You people who live in areas where things like that are common should be very grateful, because where I live, that had NEVER happened to me before.

So I shook her hand and wished her the best of luck. I feel like my gay rights-supporting engine has been kicked into full drive now.

Pentimento, that's super touching. I hate how some Christians are judgemental and homophobic, even though their own God said that no one could judge except for him. Kind of ironic, eh?

Awww, I loved reading the comments section on that blogpost <3 Obviously religious people oppressing the LGBT community hurts, but gay people hating all religious people/Christians on sight is just as narrow-minded. I really love it when the two viewpoints come together like that.

Hehe, Dinru's link is eye-opening, as well as being darkly funny. Hate leaflets like the ones it's parodying are horrendous.

I completely agree with you both. It's just a shame that the bigoted religious people are the loudest.

This is also awesome.

The danger isn’t just to the millions of children with lesbian or gay parents. If their friends and classmates see that same-sex couples are raising happy and healthy children without marriage (as valid academic studies continue to show), they, too, may begin to wonder if marriage is even needed for successful child rearing.

This argument also answers the question of why domestic partnerships or civil unions won’t do. They provide some or all of the rights and benefits of marriage, but they will not—by definition—show children what it means to be “married.” Instead, they will convey that an alternative is acceptable.

This is not to say that everyone will or should regard marriage as necessary. That is a personal choice faced by each person. The sweeping exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, however, takes it away from the realm of personal choice and makes the statement that it isn’t necessary for an entire group of people. That, as I see it, is far more damaging to the institution.”

Also OT but Dannichu, I love your user title thing. Sue ftw.

Hehe, thank you :)

That's really interesting and very true. I read a study a while back (it might've been posted here, actually) that essentially said that children raised with two mothers, compared to those with a mother and father, tended to be better-adjusted.

Aha, here we go:

Lesbian Parents Better at Raising Children The Times, 2009
"Compared with a group of control adolescents born to heterosexual parents with similar educational and financial backgrounds, the children of lesbian couples scored better on academic and social tests and lower on measures of rule-breaking and aggression."

Children of Lesbian Parents Do Better Than Their Peers NewScientist, 2010
"[Experts] have found, over years of research, that children brought up by female couples are more aspirational and more confident in championing social justice."

WHERE IS YOUR MARRIAGE NOW??

I think I saw that on The Colbert Report, of all places, haha. I love this sort of research. I wish more people knew about it, though.

Hi, guys! I feel like updating you on the situation in Slovenia because I am nearly allowing myself to be optimistic.

I went to Ljubljana Pride the other day. In attendance was the minister for internal affairs, and the minister for justice was absent only due to illness but provided a very strongly worded statement in support of the revised Family Code, which would legalise samesex marriage and adoption. The president of the lower house of parliament also spoke.

It passed the first reading back in March. It should pass the second. The government is backing it. All the government has to do is not fall apart. Then the Supreme Court has to strike down any attempted referenda against it, which is slightly more of an issue, but given that they ruled that non-straight people represented a protected minority a few years back, we should be fine. Said minister for internal affairs - who is perhaps the only credible politician we have, and who has more or less single-handedly engineered this law - said she wasn't worried about a potential referendum. We shall see.

In conclusion: if luck holds just a few more months, Slovenia should legalise samesex marriage by the end of the year. It would only take effect in May next year, but still. Be optimistic with me? :D?

Woo Slovenia <3 I'm rooting for you guys!
Also this government fail is an increasing trend in Europe, but tbh it's not that bad. We went 150+ days without it last year and right now we don't have a proper one and we're doing alright. Lol Belgium.

¡¡¡Viva la Argentina!!! As someone who's incredibly interested in both gay rights and Latin American culture, this is a double-whammy of awesomesauce :D

Whooo Slovenia! :D
God, UK, get yourself together.

Speaking of the UK, the BBC did a report the other day and found that out of 126 hours of broadcasting, 46 minutes of it showed positive gay representation.

Also, "BBC One transmitted 44 seconds of positive and realistic portrayal of gay people in more than 39 hours of output", which is pretty shocking when one considers that the BBC is publicly funded, which really should mean the amount of airtime dedicated to representing gay people on TV is somewhat proportional to the percentage of TV license payers who are gay - which is probably around 10%.

It's actually pretty interesting because, in my experience, the UK does a pretty good job at representing gay people, but that could be because I'm comparing it to US telly, which kills of something like 80% of its lesbian characters.

Stuff like Torchwood and Skins have been pretty positive, I reckon, and while gay people deserve actual representation rather than just implication, the Beeb is certianly not shy about cramming in as much gay subtext into any of its shows as humanly possible - Merlin, Dr Who, Sherlock and even stuff like Top Gear put the US's most ho!yay-ish couples to shame.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom