• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Natural Origins of Pokémon

Furiianda

DELICIOUS!
The Natural Origins of Pokémon

Interesting article I found when looking through some comics!

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemonzoo.html
It details some of the stranger creatures Pokémon are based off of.

You may have heard a few of the earlier ones in the article (such as Rafflesia being the Vileplume flower and Psyduck/Golduck being rather platypus-like) but it covers a lot of other, more obscure ones too. They also use some very nice pictures throughout the article. It's pretty well researched, compared to just guessing what a Pokémon's design has drawn influence from!

Also Woobat/Swoobat things are totally adorable. (: Aaaand the Manaphy thing...
Anyway, it's an interesting read, especially if you haven't paid much attention to your Pokédex entries and what they say the animal type is... or if you have... well, either or.

Re: The Natural Origins of Pokémon

If Honduran White Bats are so adorable, why are (S)Woobats so ugly? D:

Wasn't expecting it to update for the fifth generation. Huh. At least the Phyllidae look cool.

They should have mentioned that the Ninja bugs can also be mistaken for beetles. They look more like beetles than bees or flies.
I don't understand why someone could think Gorebyss was a dolphin. I recognized it as a fish.
The Hoenn fossils and Vileplume are already well-known. And the former should definitely be Rock/Water.
Hadn't anyone known Relicanth's origin before?
They forgot to mention Gloom and Venusaur's flower... Bellossom and Lilligant are not so obvious.
I think I knew about the Victreebel plant before I knew about the Rafflesia. I was interested in carnivorous plants as a little girl.
If Raticate is based on a water creature, why isn't it part Water? Oh, right, they thought that Normal was only compatible with Flying back then.
Golduck doesn't look so much like a platypus anymore.
I recognized Stunfisk before I read this.

Yeah, this is a fun read. I didn't realise this had been updated for the fifth generation, some interesting stuff there, especially on Karrablast.

WHAT. >(

I knew most of this already, but still an interesting read. Some of the photos freak me out, though. Especially the lampreys.

Blasphemy! Woobat is eh, but swoobat are the best thing ever, and they are much better than zubat.

Anyway, gulpers are weird. I never cared for huntail in the first place, but gorebyss's origin has creeped me out slightly.

Last edited:

Shuckle looks strange. If it's based on an insect, why does it have tentacles?
As for the bats, yes, Swoobat might look better than Zubat and Golbat, but Crobat looks better. I have never considered the Unova bats beautiful or something. I consider fluffy bats as strange as powerful cocoon equivalents that aren't reptiles.

Last edited:

Ugh, Antlion close-ups DO NOT WANT.

Nice article, I never knew Raticate wasn't actually based off a "rat" by definition. And Sea Butterflies are very beautiful! I want one!

Eh, I always thought gorebyss was based on one of those long-snouted tropical sea fishes that are closely related to sea horses (you can tell that I don't remember what it's called...), but I guess a Long-nosed Chimaera looks a lot closer to a gorebyss.

Is it sad that I know most of these already?

Shuckle looks strange. If it's based on an insect, why does it have tentacles?

Shuckle's limbs appear to be more normal terrestrial limbs than tentacles in my personal opinion - I suppose the factor of being quite limp is reflective of the fact that the source insects hold vestigial legs themselves.

As for Gorebyss, I had never previously made the connection to the Long-nosed Chimaera but it certainly appears to fit aesthetically.

I always figures that they needed some given level of 'variety' or something, and that being given away to another trainer could count enough for most.

Back
Top Bottom