• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

Another awesome article.

Those comments, though.

I want equal rights for my sheep!

Because, y'know, a sheep has the same legal standing as humans.

However, in that conglomerate of hate, there is one awesome comment:

Why not vote on it? The answer is simple: The majority can usually be relied upon to deny rights o the minority. I'm a working historian, so I'll provide two examples from our nation's history:
The overwhelming majority of Americans were opposed to the 14th Amendment granting citizenship to African-Americans
The overwhelming majority of Americans were opposed to the SCOTUS decision in Loving v. VA, which overturned laws against interracial marriage (BTW, many of the arguments against interracial marriage are identical to those offered against gay marriage)

Once, one of the girls in my school stated that if gay marriage was legalized, the human race would die out because there'd be no more babies.

...she wasn't one of the more intelligent girls in the school.

Once, one of the girls in my school stated that if gay marriage was legalized, the human race would die out because there'd be no more babies.

Because, we always need more baby's in this world! Overpopulation? Pfff, I don't even know what that is.

Because, we always need more baby's in this world! Overpopulation? Pfff, I don't even know what that is.

I think she meant that in terms of "if gay marriage is legalized straight marriage will cease to exist and no one will have kids anymore"

you know, completely forgetting every other nation ever

I'm currently almost done reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano after many other trans women recommended it to me, and I must say it's an excellent book about gender, femininity, trans feminism and discrimination against transsexual people. Cis people might find its tone too harsh and irritating how brutally honest and radical it is, but that's the way it needs to be to get its points across, and I think it should be a must-read for all feminists and trans women.

I was also rec'd My Husband Betty by Helen Boyd and Gender Trouble by Judith Butler, haven't got around to them yet. Any other books about gender and trans issues that people have read that they think are worth reading?

(decided to also post this here and not just in the What are you reading? thread)

also, she may have not won the competition itself, but I think she was the true winner by winning far more, a privilege for other trans women to compete in future competitions

Last edited:
Gender Trouble is a pretty excellent book, although a lot of people find Butler incredibly hard to read. She has some absolutely brilliant stuff to say about gender performativity, but you might be better off reading some reactions to her work (this is a nice summary, with some useful but rather academic links at the end) rather than the book itself. I've spent four solid years in academia, have (very nearly) two degrees in sociology, gender is my most absolute favourite subject, and I find Butler almost unreadably difficult.

Whipping Girl sounds really interesting, I shall add it to my to-read list, thank you :)

Serano is definitely the personal anecdote to Butler's hard theory. I feel kind of conflicted about Whipping Girl - I really needed to be reminded that every experience of being trans is what being trans is, and that some people really do feel strongly (and with evidence - it's not just her personal anecdote) that bodies and hormones and body 'sex' is really important and relevant to them. There was some interesting discussion on transmisogyny, too.

Buuut it's definitely very personal. It was fun and interesting and useful, like I said, but as a non-binary person some of the things she says and feels struck me a bit dully. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but I'm definitely looking for trans* theory that has a bit wider a scope. It definitely felt a bit out-dated, but it was published, like, '07?

I don't actually have any better suggestions though, I'm still looking myself. At least it's very readable.

Okay, good news, everyone!

As of the 4th of June, I will now be a fulltime woman! :D Paperwork with the Uni has now been settled, house ready for the summer, now all I need to do is find myself a job, and figure out how in the HELL I'm going to tell my parents about this.

Urk. Signed the petition. Stuff like that's an awful reminder of how, while things aren't perfect in the UK, they could be a whole ton worse.

As of the 4th of June, I will now be a fulltime woman! :D Paperwork with the Uni has now been settled, house ready for the summer, now all I need to do is find myself a job, and figure out how in the HELL I'm going to tell my parents about this.

Well done, that's excellent! Best of luck with the job-hunt and parents. You can do it!

Signed it.

Could not have come at a worse time for them, too - with the Euros coming up, their country will be in the spotlight of the world; this would make them look really bad just before such a huge event.

Great to hear that! I'll be waiting for that "I finally told my parents!" post.

*High fives*

Wow, congrats! When did you come to terms with being MTF?

Wow, congrats! When did you come to terms with being MTF?
I came to terms with it a few years ago, but never really did anything to fix it, waited until University to do so. Waited a bit too long, but at least I'm here now. :)

And as much as I would love the burden of having to come out to my parents to be gone, I'm deathly afraid of it. My mum is Catholic by morals, and when she found my old stash of clothes, she kept asking if I was gay or something. I vehemently said no, mostly because technically, back then, I wasn't. I am now, in the sense that I'm a lesbian now (damn labels). My background, my Asian culture depicts transpeople as a novelty, or a joke. So I'm not intending on telling them ANYTHING.

Alright, so I managed to get an appointment with a therapist- he doesn't have a spot open for me in actual therapy yet, but I'll be getting diagnosed in a week from now. Just need to hold out until Tuesday.

Progress!

Alright, so I managed to get an appointment with a therapist- he doesn't have a spot open for me in actual therapy yet, but I'll be getting diagnosed in a week from now. Just need to hold out until Tuesday.

Progress!

YAY LEA YAY

Back
Top Bottom