• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

Phantom, you sound pretty much like me a year or two ago. I had the waffly "but I don't really think of myself as anything!" thing and the acting 'like a guy' but not feeling like that made me one thing, too.

Then I started reading this trans woman's blog, and at some point as I was reading one of her posts (possibly the one about the distinction between gender identity and gender expression), it suddenly hit me that yes, I actually do think of myself as a woman. I'm way off feminine stereotypes and scoff at most supposedly "girly" things and hate high heels and find dresses mostly annoying and never played with dolls - but, ultimately, like you, if somebody thinks I'm a guy, I correct them. I want people to think of me as a woman. It doesn't have to be a big important ~I am a woman~ thing in your head - I doubt it is for most cis people, who don't need to think much about gender identity. But if you consider telling people on the internet who think you're a guy that you're a girl to just be a matter of "getting facts right", I would strongly suspect that, like me, you do consider yourself a woman even if it doesn't feel very important to you because it hasn't been threatened or challenged or had to be reevaluated.

Of course, you could be some form of genderqueer and just tell people you're a girl when they call you 'him' because you've internalized the idea that that's what you're supposed to do - but I don't think the "I'm just me" feeling is actually a sign of genderqueerness in itself, because at least I felt the same way and that was just because I didn't have a proper sense of what gender really meant.

Are you perfectly happy to be regarded as a stereotype-breaking woman? Then that's probably what you are. Feeling like you "should" be one gender or another because of cultural stereotypes is just trying to squeeze yourself into yet another box.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Made me think a little more.

Anyways, something happened. I was bored and started to look on craigslist ads. I saw a girl who posted and she actually seemed really nice. I emailed, and we've been talking.

Only to find out we met once before.

When I was 16.

That was an 'Holy Shit' moment to be sure. It was a quick meeting and I didn't talk to her. We were back in my old police post, and a few guys got into a fight with each other, both our posts. It was a huge gossip fest. And my team and I were talking to a friend from the other post and this girl showed up to talk to our friend.

It was a fleeting moment, and I barely remember it. So this girl and I just started texting... and we found this out. It's sort of insane. We click really really well. I really want to keep talking to her. But man, small world.

Last edited:
Dear GOD I've not been here in a while!

Hello, everyone! Quick update: I am now officially on the NHS waiting list! PLUS got a month's work, so can't wait to get started on that and get myself started on the hormone treatment.

Also, officially six months fulltime now! WOOP.

congrats Grimdour :3 (I remember you from the old annual music tournament threads, nice to see other metalhead trans women on here :D)

congrats Grimdour :3 (I remember you from the old annual music tournament threads, nice to see other metalhead trans women on here :D)
Thanks~ Now I'm gonna sound like a douchenozzle but I can't actually remember you.

Also, just for discussion, what's everyone's stance on selfmedication? Currently working towards a month's batch. :3

Grimdour, congrats on coming out and I hope everything works well.

However, I really really recommend against self-medicating; it can be extremely dangerous and have a lot of negative long-term effects. It might be a bit different with estrogen, but with my own experience, you need regular check-ups and blood tests to check your levels are stable and your body is coping with the dose. Seriously, it's not something that should be done without supervision from a professional.

Thanks, I've looked into doing this for years now, hoping somehow that if I knew enough I can do it, not really realizing the financial stress it'll bring.

Now, it's actually a possibility. I'm putting myself on 4mg estrogen and 250mg spironolactone, which is the recommended dosage for my BMI. Fingers crossed, I suppose.

Is there any chance you can ask your doctor about having some blood checks? I hate to sound like a pest 'cause I know how awesome it feels to finally get hormones, but. It's just I've spoken to people who've self-medicated in the past and it didn't go well to say the least. In the past I felt so low I just went, "fuck it I'll do it myself" and looked into getting hormones in the black market (and even steroids but christ let's not go there), but speaking with people who've had experience with it was enough to put me off, which is saying something.

Eh, that's just my thoughts, in the end, it's your decision. I really hope it goes well for you, best of luck.

It's perfectly fine, I'd rather people actually questioned my choices, because they raise the questions I may gloss over, and in the end regret not having asked myself.

I can definitely have some blood checks done, that's easy enough. Most of the selfmedicating stories I've heard are pretty damn positive, but only when done correctly, hence why I'm going on the lowest dose I can without it not actually doing anything.

Dear GOD I've not been here in a while!

Hello, everyone! Quick update: I am now officially on the NHS waiting list! PLUS got a month's work, so can't wait to get started on that and get myself started on the hormone treatment.

Also, officially six months fulltime now! WOOP.

Congrats!

This has made my day:)

Thanks, I've looked into doing this for years now, hoping somehow that if I knew enough I can do it, not really realizing the financial stress it'll bring.

Now, it's actually a possibility. I'm putting myself on 4mg estrogen and 250mg spironolactone, which is the recommended dosage for my BMI. Fingers crossed, I suppose.

I've talked with people who were on as low prescribed dosages as 2mg Estradiol and 100mg Spiro (taken in two 50mg instances per day) for months before it got upped to 4+ mg Estradiol and 200+ mg Spiro. They really aren't meds that should be taken at higher dosages from the start, your body needs to get gradually used to them.

That being said, I recommend against self-medding. But if you really need to do it, then get bloodwork done frequently especially at the start.

Know that Spiro makes Potassium get retained in the system (and can lead to hyperkalemia and eventually fatal abnormal heart rhythms if too much Potassium gets into the system while on Spiro aka until an orchiectomy/SRS) while Sodium gets eliminated from the system (and can therefore lead most commonly to muscular spasms but also to other disorders related to electrolyte imbalances), so you'll have to be on a diet with as little Potassium as possible, and more Sodium than usual. Spiro will also make you drink a lot more as it eliminates a lot more water from the system.

Estradiol may lead to abdominal cramps and blood clots, but apparently patches reduce the risks compared to pills/injections.

You might also have pain down there due to Spiro atrophying the muscles.

And many other even rarer possible side-effects. So it's best to do it under the supervision of qualified people.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, maybe you could ask your G.P. I get my own bloodwork done at my local G.P, but that's with hormones that have been prescribed to me by my doctor and therapist. I don't know where you're getting your hormones, but it would probably be worthwhile looking into the legality of this too. I don't know if estrogen is a controlled substance the way testosterone is, so I might be on the wrong track, but yeah, just a heads up.

I found this page which includes good general information, as well as some info on the legality of it all. Most info I googled seemed to be based on American laws though, which was pretty irritating. Maybe you'll have better luck.

This page shows recommended dosages, and it looks like Dashie was right about the spironolactone dose.

Last edited:
so i'm pretty sure i am getting testosterone on 21st january
going to the doctors on wednesday to have a shitload of blood tests done lol

it's a weird feeling though
absolutely no excitement whatsoever, just the feeling of "wow maybe my life will stop being a shitty void of nothingness now"

MORE CONGRATS. :D It probably all still feels surreal to you, especially since you were waiting so long. You'll probably get more excited when it all sinks in.

Here's something I thought was pretty cool. From the Aeroflot in-flight magazine:

lana.jpg

The Illinois Senate passed a bill for marriage equality!

So this will make ten states (and DC) that will have legalized same-sex marriage, I think.

Last edited:
I'm. Coming out to a significant portion of the student body and community on the 28th. It's Senior Night and senior members of the basketball team and spirit organisations are recognised (and given a short bio).

I'm more worried I'd be the only one there without my parents present.

Back
Top Bottom