• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

Carol Ann Duffy: awesome.
Virginia Woolf: awesome.
Daphne du Maurier: awesome.
Sarah Waters: awesome.

First year of an English course, guys. My university is *awesome* yeah.

(Also, on the men's list: where's Allen Ginsberg? He's cool too.)

Are you doing a module on LGBT/women's literature, or did all of these just come up in general English Literatureness?

I enjoy all of them, too, although I'd be nice if they were a bit, you know, happier.

And Sarah Waters went to my university! She's like, one of two alumni we have that anybody's ever heard of (the other is Alan Davis, and I look forward to someday taking my place as 'Famous UoK graduates' among them :D), and she came and did and Q&A/signing sesh in my first year. She was fantastic.

I think she's historically seen as bisexual, since she did seem to love her husband, but she wrote Mrs Dalloway for Vita Sackville-West, with whom she had an affair.

Edit: Sorry; Orlando, not Dalloway.

Wiki says:

The ethos of the Bloomsbury group encouraged a liberal approach to sexuality, and in 1922 she met the writer and gardener Vita Sackville-West, wife of Harold Nicolson. After a tentative start, they began a sexual relationship, which, according to Sackville-West, was only twice consummated. In 1928, Woolf presented Sackville-West with Orlando, a fantastical biography in which the eponymous hero's life spans three centuries and both genders. Nigel Nicolson, Vita Sackville-West's son, wrote "The effect of Vita on Virginia is all contained in Orlando, the longest and most charming love letter in literature, in which she explores Vita, weaves her in and out of the centuries, tosses her from one sex to the other, plays with her, dresses her in furs, lace and emeralds, teases her, flirts with her, drops a veil of mist around her". After their affair ended, the two women remained friends until Woolf's death in 1941.

Last edited:
Huh! That's really interesting. Yeah, my perception was coloured by The Hours, but I suppose that shows only a very short span of time! I wonder what her husband thought about it.

That is something. I never thought Woolf was lesbian, bisexual, or anything other than straight. :o

Oi. Queer women have contributed significantly to the cultural landscape, too, even when it's been much harder for them to do so - in 1999 Carol Anne Duffy was passed over as poet laureate because Tony Blair was "'worried about having a homosexual poet laureate because of how it might play in middle England", and wasn't given the job until 2009.

The list of gay people who've contributed culturally does go on. It includes Virginia Woolf, Daphne Du Maurier, Jeanette Winterson, Vita Sackville-West, Sarah Waters, Gertrude Stein - hell, Sappho herself!

My list was full of men because according to the religious nuts the Bible only outlaws male homosexuality. But I do acknowledge that lesbians have done cool stuff too :)

And whoever said Kurt wasn't sexy is lying

Are you doing a module on LGBT/women's literature, or did all of these just come up in general English Literatureness?

I enjoy all of them, too, although I'd be nice if they were a bit, you know, happier.

And Sarah Waters went to my university! She's like, one of two alumni we have that anybody's ever heard of (the other is Alan Davis, and I look forward to someday taking my place as 'Famous UoK graduates' among them :D), and she came and did and Q&A/signing sesh in my first year. She was fantastic.

General English Literature course! In the Introduction to Literature module last semester we also did a lot of Angela Carter (who isn't bisexual/a lesbian as far as I know, but feminist works are just as important!).

Huh! That's really interesting. Yeah, my perception was coloured by The Hours, but I suppose that shows only a very short span of time! I wonder what her husband thought about it.

I'm pretty sure I've read that both Virginia Woolf and her husband had regular affairs with people of both sexes, so. I imagine he wasn't that bothered!

My one reference point (The Hours again) does suggest that he was a pretty cool guy.

My list was full of men because according to the religious nuts the Bible only outlaws male homosexuality. But I do acknowledge that lesbians have done cool stuff too :)

And whoever said Kurt wasn't sexy is lying

Kurt is like the least sexy thing ever :(

Kurt is like the least sexy thing ever :(

Agreed. Blaine is teh sex:

71138_164455413581608_3155815_n.jpg

See now I'd gladly do all sorts of horrible, depraved things to Blaine... although I wouldn't say he's sexy. Attractive, certainly, but I'm not sure I'd go for sexy. IDK.

Alright, I have a problem. At first, I thought I was pansexual, since I was attracted to some girls and was planning to ask out one of my chick friends. Then I figured it was just a phase and that I'd grow out of it, so I started calling myself heterosexual again. Turns out it was a mistake.

There's this girl who I like a lot, though not as much as my guy crush, but she's straight and would probably be creeped out if I told her I liked her. It's kind of confusing since we're such great friends. My feelings for her started when I saw her naked at her brithday party on Sunday. I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it lately, and it's driving me fucking insane. But yeah. i dun no wut 2 doooo

Alright, I have a problem. At first, I thought I was pansexual, since I was attracted to some girls and was planning to ask out one of my chick friends. Then I figured it was just a phase and that I'd grow out of it, so I started calling myself heterosexual again. Turns out it was a mistake.
My sexuality-thought-process went something like this:
"SO wait, do I like her? Yeah...I guess I'm bisexual NO WAIT she's just like a sister to me but wait now I don't even know T_T"

So yeah, I think that happens to a lot of people.

As for your "omg should I tell her" issue, I'm not entirely sure; I mean, I'd hope she was just like "oh, okay, I don't like you back but whatever," but i don't exactly know if that would happen. I mean, that's why I never told.

Speaking of that situation I think this completely unrelated quote pretty well sums it up:

Me: You're confusing meeeee...
Her: GOOD.

Back
Top Bottom