• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Science Thread

Tarvos

helt plötsligt blev det tyst
Itt we talk about new scientific developments, thesis, journal articles, etc, scientific theories, and all things related to science.

PS THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK HELP THREAD.

Please chip in, new scientists of TCOD. Every article I read now is one I don't have to read later.

I'll start this off by mentioning that I'm currently reading the Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.

Are there any other public science books that are as good as his? Preferably on a different subject than evolutionary biology (I know that's popular but I want a physicist's perspective, or a chemist's or something)

Have you read anything good lately?

(I am particularly expecting natural scientists to chip in)

In the field of linguistics, The Unfolding of Language by Guy Deutscher: An Evolutionary Tour Of Mankind's Greatest Invention was very well-written, tho' it will same very basic to those already experienced in the field, it uses conventions of a story (i.e. giving you reasons to care about linguistics, building up to an exciting conclusion after setting up seemingly unrelated conclusion (he does this every chapter and for the entire book), and its a highly enjoyable primer on the subject.

I love linguistics, I might have to check that out.

I'm not sure this is quite in the vein of what you're looking for, Watershed, but Asimov wrote a "guide" if you will called Understanding Physics that I found quite informational and entertaining.

You should read The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore. It's essentially an introduction to memetics and all that jazz, and it's a really interesting read.

I read a paper about cats with Klinefelter's syndrome the other day. It was kind of cool except for the part where I was being forced to do it for university. :(

I love linguistics, I might have to check that out.

I'm not sure this is quite in the vein of what you're looking for, Watershed, but Asimov wrote a "guide" if you will called Understanding Physics that I found quite informational and entertaining.

Asimov... I've never read any of his work. I know Dawkins mentions him quite a few times.

Memetics... I think I have had enough of it for a while, thanks to Dawkins' Selfish gene...

Asimov... I've never read any of his work. I know Dawkins mentions him quite a few times.

Memetics... I think I have had enough of it for a while, thanks to Dawkins' Selfish gene...

Dawkins doesn't go far enough! Blackmore properly explores the idea and whatnot, it's quite interesting.

Back
Top Bottom