• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Club Reborn

Paint:

-Lack of palettes (mostly bright and annoying colors)
Which is why we either create our own or use some from another Pokemon.
-No proper zoom (8x is the strongest you get)
Unless you have the Vista version, I think.
-Opening separate images is a pain
Paste From command.
-It takes over an hour to recolor; some programs can just replace the color scheme in a few seconds' time.
eraser trick
-Too basic; it's like using fire when you have an oven behind you. There's a lot of programs which cater to the pixel artist quite well.
But some of us are either totally fine with what we're using or can't get another program.

(Crappy) reasoning contained inside quotes.

Paint:

-It takes over an hour to recolor; some programs can just replace the color scheme in a few seconds' time.
-Too basic; it's like using fire when you have an oven behind you. There's a lot of programs which cater to the pixel artist quite well.

Lack of Palettes: Create your own, or borrow from another pokemon. You are given the ability to define what colors you want by going to "Edit Colors" and then "Define Custom Colors". Its much more effective than having a pre-made palette.

No proper zoom: I work just fine with 400% magnification. Do you really need such a high level of zoom?

Opening Seperate images: Okay, I'll give you this one. I, however, have one file where I do all of my work, and then I save the sprites on their own, seperate files. Saves a little bit of space, plus all you have to do is copy paste the sprites you need from resources online, like PE2K's.

Recoloring: Eraser trick would like to have a word with you.

Too Basic: That's the best part about it! Sure, its not Photoshop, but I tend to work better when doing most of the work myself. Also, its a little more satisfying when you have to work things out rather than use tools someone else made to help work on the sprite you are making. Besides that, I couldn't get Gimp to work for me and this is the only thing I have acess to.

EDIT: Well, when I mentioned a program, I meant the tools that do the work rather than the actually image programs. Guess I'll change it.

To Terry: Get out.

Now back to our show!

I use Paint. o_o I mean, I guess I could use Adobe Photoshop Elements or whatever, but... well, all the things that you're criticizing, they're simply a matter of convenience. Limited pallette? Whatever; I just customize all my pallettes anyway and draw them on the canvas, using the eyedropper when I want to use it. Plus, I find Paint's eyedropper handy: it changes to the tool you were using previously after picking up a color, eliminating the need to go alll they way back to the sidebar to get it. Yes, I know I'm stretching, but...

Paint has ReMask (although it doesn't work 100% of the time, which irks me to no end). It also can paint with three colors at the same time: Left click, right click, and control+right click (amazing secret is amazing).

What irks me is its inability to save as a high-quality jpeg or gif or save transparency, but I have Windows Photo Editor (which also came with my computer) for that.

Anyways I hate pickles. Sorry pickles, but I don't like you and I like Paint too much.

Hmm, so Twitch uses Paint too. See, proof enough that you don't need some fancy program to work with!

...I sound like an old man, don't I?

You do realize that you can make custom palettes -- just as many as Photoshop ect

You can get x10, and, besides, do you ever honestly need more than 8x zoom?

Granted

Are we talking about spriting or not? It takes me about 15 freaking seconds to recolour.

Yes -- but paint is the easiest to learn and understand. Get your facts straight -- the only thing that makes paint severely inferior to other programs is lack of transparency, saving files, and lack of layers.

Last edited:
Yes -- but paint is the easiest to learn and understand. Get your facts straight -- the only thing that makes paint severely inferior to other programs is lack of transparency, saving files, and lack of layers.

And mostly everyone has Paint and at school it would usually be taught rather than Photoshop or GIMP etc.

Actually I'm learning Photoshop at school right now in my Computer Arts class. I like it, but I would definatly get confused trying to use it for spriting. Gimp hates me, so I'm sticking with paint. Besides that, I don't have Photoshop.

I would reccomend Paint.Net, it's the highest version of the normal Paint program that comes with most PCs. Also it's totally free to download at the Paint.Net website and is great for spriting.

^I'll download it!

And no, I won't get out of this shop.

And crit on my avvie? (It's pencil tooled, so SHUT UP if you think it's not. I'll give evidence.)

*gives ES a cookie* You got it right. And:
gengarpallette.png

Gengar Pallete! Use it freely with credit!

*gives ES a cookie* You got it right. And:
gengarpallette.png

Gengar Pallete! Use it freely with credit!
*facepalm* If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times over in my head.

*takes deep breath* Why would we have to accually use that if we can very well make our own pallettes and really use the eye dropper tool in general? We can get a gengar sprite anywhere and pull the colors from that to recolor so why would we want to use it in the first place if we could make our own in probroly fifteen seconds? Are you basicly saying that if we use any gengar pallett it's copywrited to you? I don't think so.

Yes, it is VERY easy to make pallettes. It would make sense if not everyone could do that easily but almost every single person on the TCOD would have paint.

Eye Dropper = You don't need to do this because it is simply easy.

Back
Top Bottom