• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Club Reborn

I've got the original RainbowRayquaza here:
rainbowrayspritev1.png

And the latest one:
rainbowrayspritev3.png

Not that much difference I guess.

Practice practice practice practice pra--

There's really no two ways about it. Practice, look at other spriters' work, practice some more, practice drawing by hand, submit your sprites for crit and then edit them, and practice some more.

ゼニガメ26;208753 said:
Here's a Weedil disguised as a Wurmple.
WeedilDisguise.png
Good, but it's a simple recolor. There's not really anything to correct.

Anyway, this is why Gold/Silver/Crystal was the most awesome era for spriters.
hoohrevao0.png

Well, since this is a Spriter's Club, maybe we should discuss various topics related to spriting other than what programs to use and stuff like that. Grimdour's post got me thinking about how I got into spriting, so maybe we can discuss this first?

Hm, I just remember looking at sprites here, and wishing I could be as good as everyone else.

My first sprite? An eevee "recolour". Ms paint bright green, no shading, no recoloured outlines. I think Dad has it stored on his main hard disk drive, but it was so crap... *laughs at how stupid she was*

badrevamp.png

First revamp.

ok, not bad for your first one but i just looks like you've replaced the colours in the sprite using the eraser trick
to make your revamps look better, you should aim to shade in the same style as the official sprite. that means replacing the shading in the sprite

^Just what a revamp is...^

...No, a revamp is making a sprite look like it's from a later generation than it actually is, by changing the shading to allow more colours, recolouring it, and making it look like the newer sprites by scratch edits.

I got into spriting shortly after joining TCOD -- 2003 dec -- and got back out after I realized that gee, most of what people do while spriting requires no skill or talent or effort. Scratch spriting's the only type of spriting that's at all worthwhile. Tracing or hitting filters a few times should not be the key to internet fame.

agreed @ sprites requiring edits if you're changing spriting style.

I got into spriting shortly after joining TCOD -- 2003 dec -- and got back out after I realized that gee, most of what people do while spriting requires no skill or talent or effort. Scratch spriting's the only type of spriting that's at all worthwhile. Tracing or hitting filters a few times should not be the key to internet fame.

*high five*

shes a mod guys u should listen to her b/c thats what ive ben trying 2 tell u dis whole time.

I don't blame you for being turned off of it. :/ Ultimately it's just an I-do-it-because-it's-popular thing. Unless you do something special and compelling with it, like scratch spriting or working for a fangame, it's really... not worth much at all. o_o

I actually do it because, well yes, maybe because of the popularity, but because I saw sprites and contests and wanted to do it. Besides that, my drawings are usually terrible, though I have been improving on them. But for now, I'll stick to spriting and post any drawings, which are usually Kirby-related since thats the only thing I CAN draw, at a Kirby website.

Are you defining 'spriting' as drawing pixel art or as tracing/editing/hitting-filters?

Are you defining 'spriting' as drawing pixel art or as tracing/editing/hitting-filters?

Well, a little of both, minus the filters since that isn't spriting. I mainly splice, although recently I have devamped, revamped, re-typed and re-typed revamps. I do scratch sometimes, and have done a couple of pixel-overs. The closest to an overshade I have done was when I was trying to make a 3Dish Porygon. I try to broaden the various ways I sprite. The only ones I absolutly refuse to do are Infernos and Ipods, the former because, other than splicing, it seems to be the one thing people do the most, and the latter because they require no skill what-so-ever.

Back
Top Bottom