• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Club Reborn

Wait, you've gone off-topic. And why did I? Ask yourself.
This post makes little sense. It seems to me that you used the eraser trick to save time, reducing the overall quality of your sprites.

And by the way, If you want to post a sprite in here in future, post the sprite, and not a video instead. This is the spriters club, not the youtube club.

Guys, we need to do stuff now that Terry isn't here to post random sprites and confuse us. It's going to die if we don't.

The entire purpose of the Spriters' club was for Terry to hawk his effortless sprites, and for us to write walls of text about how much he sucked. Now that he's gone, you're free! Go spend your time where it'll be meaningful!

...Or, alternatively, this can be one of quite a few places around the forum where you can post and get crit, and now that Terry's gone, your sprites needing crit will hopefully not be overshadowed. ORRR we can discuss "styles of sprites", say what our favourite sprites are, and talk about things to make this different from the rest of the sprite-related threads.

So. Here's a topic for you: anybody ever work on a fangame? It's how I got good, y'know. Spriting other peoples' designs is often a nice challenge.

I had a feeling it would be quieter around here.

Nah, I've never worked for a fangame. I can't scratch, so I'm basically screwed.

I'm still learning how to scratch. I'd rather not ruin anyone's game with my shitty sprites tbh. =S

White Wolf's game is all empty promises, let me tell you. :/ Oh, sure, contradict me if you will, but there's little evidence that there's actually a game going on there besides the meaningless gathering of frontsprites and backsprites and Sugi art.

And let me say this: every last one of you CAN scratch (especially true now that Terry's gone). Not only are you laboring under a misconception, but you are hindering yourselves by not trying new things. Mixes are useless in the grand scheme of things; scratching should be the backbone of every spriter's repetoire. It's really not that hard if your mechanics (shading, outlining, texturing... basically, what you learn from mixing) are solid. Just ask Kai!

If you guys are interested, I could guide you, because I'm SURE that you're better spriters than you think you are. And the community always needs more scratchers. :3

Yeah, I'm kinda-sorta am. I only made two sprites though, and I'm suprised Grimdour hasn't attacked me like a rabid-dog yet for not doing anything else. XD

Guess I should start soon. ^_^;

And the community always needs more scratchers. :3
Particularly given that in a more sensible world, it'd be the only thing getting recognition. It's a lot easier to trace things than it is to draw, but if you've got a good grasp on tracing and fixing, then you can probably do well with actually drawing it.

Involuntary Twicth, you inspire me. :D
Okay, 'cuz I feel like it, here are three of my favorite Fakemon scratches. C+C?
017-Spibir.png
027-Digon.png
037-Zaptor.png

Spibir, Digon and Zaptor respectively.
Oh yeah, please don't kill me on the shading. These are from when I was just getting into it and I was shading on a planet called Tatooine.
...For those who don't know, Tatooine is a planet from Star Wars that has two suns.

i guess i can scratch, and i've used a few for white wolfs game, although those were only of existing pokemon.
i've made a sprite of one of my own fake pokemon, but that's it. i should probably make the rest of them but i don't have any time.

It's really not that hard if your mechanics (shading, outlining, texturing... basically, what you learn from mixing) are solid. Just ask Kai!
Indeed. Just a little while back I didn't think that I could scratch. I got some tips of of Twitchy here and managed to produce something at least partially decent.
picture.php

My Nazimence scratch, that I believe I showed it to you a while back. So, fellow spriters, try and break free of your mental restrains and start scratching!

Tip: Draw the thing you want to scratch first. That gives you an idea of what it should look like.

Indeed. Just a little while back I didn't think that I could scratch. I got some tips of of Twitchy here and managed to produce something at least partially decent.
picture.php

My Nazimence scratch, that I believe I showed it to you a while back. So, fellow spriters, try and break free of your mental restrains and start scratching!

Tip: Draw the thing you want to scratch first. That gives you an idea of what it should look like.

Wow, that's awesome!

I guess drawing the thing first would work better...

My scratches are fail :(

Involuntary Twicth, you inspire me. :D
Okay, 'cuz I feel like it, here are three of my favorite Fakemon scratches. C+C?
017-Spibir.png
027-Digon.png
037-Zaptor.png

Spibir, Digon and Zaptor respectively.
Oh yeah, please don't kill me on the shading. These are from when I was just getting into it and I was shading on a planet called Tatooine.
...For those who don't know, Tatooine is a planet from Star Wars that has two suns.

The Tatooine thing amused me. xD

Anyway, since you don't want crit on the shading, I won't. My best advice to you to improve your shading is to study official sprites, and do official Pokemon scratches. (I'll make a tutorial for it, how about that?) For now, though, I'll give you some advice.

Your outlines are really the biggest flaw in all three of these sprites (yes, more than the shading). You've surely seen Butterfree's spriting guide, but even so I encourage you to pay super close attention to the part where she talks about smooth curves and making shapes work. Some problem areas: Spibir's beak, in particular the tip; Digon's teeth; and Zaptor's neck. Also, color your outlines. Whether you completely color them in or do it partially (like me), you shouldn't leave them all black.

...And as for your color choice: those aren't Default Paint colors, but they're pretty close. :/ The bright yellow and teal blue especially. I'd advise making the yellow less saturated (or at least make the shadow oranger) and the blue more saturated. Do you get what I'm saying?

Practicepracticepractice though. :< You've got potential!

I'll get that tutorial up, and then YOU ALL MUST TRY IT.

eh I'll join I guess. C:
I really suck at scratching, but I try! I need some good crits though. These are my latest scratches, of my fakemon Kiddam and Enculli respectively.

kiddam.png
enculli.png

So I tried at scratching! And failed epicly! :D

untitled.png

You may need a microscope to see it. It's supposed to be a Poison/Dark Skull and crossbones Pokemon that is unnamed. And it looks really bad.

Back
Top Bottom