• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sugomori shading works in sugomori art but it does come out weird in sprites.. o_o

you're welcome!

2-7.png

It' a snorla, rhyperior, and lanturn
2-6.png

It's a I forgot someone ask me to make it for them.
Are they any good?

I am not a spriter, nor do I want to be one. I will never understand how you people can stomach working with little dots and flat colors instead of flowing lines and pretty gradients, and much larger working spaces without temporarily distorting the image you're working on. You aren't natural. D: But I want sprites of some of my fakes (no, this is not an invitation for you to sprite my Pokémon willy-nilly--try it without my permission and I kill you) and didn't feel like bothering other people about it, so I threw this together. I imagine that it isn't that great and honestly don't know why I'm bothering to post here (since I'm not really looking to improve) other than "why the hell not"?

dyferalphoenixsongnu8.png

Splice of Salamence, Dragonite, Sceptile, Garchomp, Dialga and Shiftry with some scratchybits here and there. It was originally supposed to be the final stage of the line until I realized that it was a little too small and not turning out the way I liked, so I modified it to make it the middle stage instead. And now it looks too big for that D: I can't win. This is exactly why I do not need to be touching sprites with a twenty-foot pole.

Have at it, I guess.

Last edited:
Can someone see these and tell me how to improve? I know I am doing something wrong, but no one comments on the blasted things half the time. ^^;

@Ruffledfeathers: You need more distinct lines. Otherwise, I guess just spend more time making your lines clean and exact.

I will never understand how you people can stomach working with little dots and flat colors instead of flowing lines and pretty gradients

What does dithering your shading have to do with choppy lines? O_o

That is, unless you're talking about the reverse-dot shading on Dragonfree's sprite tutorial. I don't think you've attempted that right, since it looks weird on a dark background. Maybe you should try a different style of outlining next time.

Flat colors? Gradients can be very flat if done wrong, I think. I don't like how the colors lack contrast on your sprite, but I'm not sure if you intended that or not.

As for accuracy compared to your drawing, I don't have time. However, if you're going to be mixing sprites, you can't expect much accuracy compared to your drawing unless you edit it heavily. I think it would be easier for you to just scratch sprites. After all, you can draw.

Last edited:
I admit that I was rambling a little and so might not have worded things the way I intended, but I wasn't talking about dithering. I was talking about working pixel by pixel in a tiny little image and have decided that I cannot stand that when I have a much easier time with a long, continuous and larger-scale pen or pencil line. Obviously it gets easier with practice, and obviously you can magnify the image you're working on, but it isn't the same and I'm not comfortable with little pixel details. That's what I was talking about, spriting in general. :/

And of course gradients look bad if they're done incorrectly. So does everything else that's done incorrectly.

For the most part the shading is taken directly from the original parts, so I can only imagine that it would be most awkward where the different bits meet and I had to make things up. I noticed that it looks odd against a dark background, yes. I suppose I could fix that and add more contrast if I were ever inclined to touch the blasted thing again.

Thank you for actually commenting on it, at least.

@Ruffledfeathers: You need more distinct lines. Otherwise, I guess just spend more time making your lines clean and exact.

Thank you. =) Should I use a darker outline colour, or should I use black to distinct em? Cuz it always looks odd when I add black outlines.

Thank you. =) Should I use a darker outline colour, or should I use black to distinct em? Cuz it always looks odd when I add black outlines.

Some black, but also some darker colors. Not all black, though. Take a look at some sprite's outlines. Generally the shading color is used for outlines touching highlights, a much darker color is used for outlines touching the base color, and black is used for outlines touching the shading. I'm not sure, so you may want to confirm that, but I think so.

I will never understand how you people can stomach working with little dots and flat colors instead of flowing lines and pretty gradients, and much larger working spaces without temporarily distorting the image you're working on.
Because I suck at drawing.

dyferalphoenixsongnu8.png

The finger separation goes a bit too far, and it looks a little weird. You should get rid of that extra bump. Also, the outline on the arm contrasts the outermost outline and makes it look a little too dark.

What do you mean, goes a bit too far? The hands are taken directly from Sceptile. While I can understand the occasional need for scratch edits, I don't see what you're talking about here. I also don't know what you mean by "bump".

I realize the arm's bottom outline is bad, but everything else I tried looked equally horrid and eventually I gave up. :/

Some black, but also some darker colors. Not all black, though. Take a look at some sprite's outlines. Generally the shading color is used for outlines touching highlights, a much darker color is used for outlines touching the base color, and black is used for outlines touching the shading. I'm not sure, so you may want to confirm that, but I think so.
K. I thank you again!

That is, unless you're talking about the reverse-dot shading on Dragonfree's sprite tutorial. I don't think you've attempted that right, since it looks weird on a dark background. Maybe you should try a different style of outlining next time.

I know this comment was aimed at someone else, but I'll just comment on this and say that I don't do reverse dot shading. Unless the sprite is entirely mine, I try to stay true to the original shading style.

As for your dragon splice Kratos, it looks okay. The outline does stick out a little too much in some areas, in some places the shading either looks flat or non-existant, and the neck doesn't appear to match the perspective of the head. Obviously you would need to work on spriting more, but since you don't seem to like it...

BTW, since I can't draw, I sprite instead. The most I can draw is probally Kirby and images of 8-bit games, since they look bad anyways.

I know this comment was aimed at someone else, but I'll just comment on this and say that I don't do reverse dot shading. Unless the sprite is entirely mine, I try to stay true to the original shading style.

I thought reverse-dots was the original outline style. O_o

Anyone can draw. That being said, not everyone can draw well, and not everyone can sprite well.

I like spriting more than drawing, because I can't edit drawings to be flawless. I draw more, though, because I can't sprite in class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom