• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some pixel-overs of my own sketches, and yes, I know the shading needs some work:
2j4dk53.png
jjpbhz.png

The shading could be a little better, like you said, but for the most part they look very nice. ^__^ I feel like the top of Charizard's tail is rather thick, but it's intended to be that way anyways, so...meh.

Well, I just read the spriting guide on the main site, and tried some recoloring. These are my first, so could someone give me some advice to improve, or an idea for another recolor?

2zz80t4.png
This is what I think Larpas's shiny form should have been, and was my first

5dmlgp.png
This is a rainbow porygon-Z that I made for my porygon-Z obsessed friend, after I realized that Porygon-z's body could be divided into 7

21nkvab.png
This doesn't really have a purpose, but I suppose it could be a poison type Flygon

it could be a poison type Flygon
It could be the color scheme for a poison-type Flygon, but it should not be a poison type Flygon. A good retype doesn't just change the colors, but changes features of the Pokémon and adds different ones to better portray that type. </pet peeve>

But anyways, your recolors look nice. There's not a whole lot of criticism to give there; it looks like you've got the concept down. Maybe try revamps or advanced recolors (recolors with patterns or something on them) next?

Aethelstan: There's a few proportion and shape issues on yours. The heads stand out a lot to me; Butterfree's is too big in comparison to its body, and Charizard's head has some weird cloud-like bumps in it, which is making it look like a plushie rather than a dragon. Its head should be more angular and dragon-like. Try pulling its leg in closer to its body, too; Charizard's legs aren't that long and right now the distance away from the body is making it look fat.

Also, for sprites that big, I'd think that it would be okay to use a few more shades. That's just my own opinion; there's probably people that would say that you should only use so many colors, but personally I do what looks nice, so you can either take that piece of advice or leave it. =)

Mew Cookie: The trainer sprite and the recolor look nice. ^^ Is the trainer sprite scratch?

The Marshtomp/Beautifly's wings look like they're just stuck on behind the Marshtomp; it doesn't look like they're attached. There's not much you could do there other than scratch the wings on, because Beautifly's wings are pretty big in comparison to Marshtomp.

I'm not going to comment on the Harvest Moon sprites since I don't know if they're scratch or edited from a base... ^^;

30rtsog.jpg

Cheregi. I felt like making Cherubi look all huge and manly, so I spliced it with Regirock and gave it a six-pack. Crit?

Hmm. It looks good, although you could have added a little more of the Magikarp, i.e. the color, the tailfin, whiskers, etc.

5jv1i8.png

Yeah..I know, I know, it's mostly just some minor editing on Maylene's ssprite, but I actaully attepmted to scratch just a little bit D:

Geez I haven't posted here in a while...

crystalvenomoth.png

What else can you expect from me but a revamp

miltankpixelover.png

Miltank pixel over. 30 colors (in other words, way too many :c)

Also I found this one in my olde files. Anyone remember it?
kurotowa.png

Now to go grab some /quotes and do some crits I guess

And finally, Revamps
finishedpikachut.png

Nice, but he's a little chubby. I know this is greatly a work of the angles but I think you could work on his height a little, for his body and tail. Pikachu is a bit thinner and fitter in the D/P sprites.
finisheddragonite.png

Shading needs some work. The highlights around Dragonite's butt need some reduction, and reshaping. Right now it looks very flat and smooth, but the thighs should be sticking out a lot. In contrast, I think the face needs more highlights. The eyes look a bit dark, too. The wings need a little repositioning. The one on our right looks like it's coming out from the side of its neck because it's too high and barely obstructed by the body, and the wing in the back... just needs work. Personally, what I did was take the wing from the D/P sprite and place it upon his back. You can do that too and I wouldn't hold it against you. It's a tough wing to work with.
bulbasaur.png
ivysaur.png
venusaur.png

Bulbasaur's face definitely needs more shading and less highlight. It suffers from the same problem as Dragonite's butt in that the shapeless, all-encompassing highlight make the surface look totally flat. The dark area in the back needs more of the darkest green in the outline and less black.
Ivysaur needs more shading in his body (like on the right side of both of the left legs), and the flower needs a highlight or something. Next to Venusaur and Bulbasaur it looks pretty flat.
Venusaur is probably the best out of all of these, but I think his outline in the back actually needs a little MORE black in the outline. Solid-color outlines can take away from the depth of a sprite and make it look flat just like misshapen shading can.

charmander.png
charmeleonpose2.png
charmeleonpose1.png

Charmander's probably the best of all your revamps. Make that highlight on his head circle-shaped and you'll be good.
As for the Charmeleons, they need more highlight on the face. Maybe you could do some scratch magic on the arms and make them less formless and more muscular, but that's not too necessary.

mewtwo.png

From a... technical standpoint, this one's good. However, for a true D/P style revamp, you have 80x80 pixels of space to work with! Mess with Mewtwo's proportions, make him taller and thinner and more like his D/P incarnation.
mewpose1.png
mewpose2.png
mewpose3.png
mewpose4.png
mewpose5.png

Again, needs much more highlight on the face and less highlight on the tail. The tail is BEHIND the head, so the head is much more likely to be right in the light source, and would probably block very much light from reaching the tail. The outline on the feet look a little too light, too. Add some black to the bottom to make it look even. For an even more D/P look, make the tail longer and work on the arms a little bit.

All in all, a good effort. It's good that you understand the concept of a revamp is more than just changing the palette (some people don't-shocking, right?) You just need to work on your shading and highlighting a bit!

Sorry so many at once, but I just now got a Photobucket account. Any good? I have an Animated version of the mew sprites, just not with me...I think that the Charmeleons are my best work.
Crits are in bold under each one

Scarcth_Revamp_Golbat_by_LinnCastillan.png

Look I revamped the RB Golbat from scratch :D Honestly, you can't revamp it the normal way, there's just too many flaws you'll have to fix and when you have, it'll still be a scratch >_<

Love this, love this. A few little nitpicks, though- The dark purple finger on the left (our left) wing seems to be at a sharp angle, probably due to the shading, and I think perhaps his right foot (our right) could use a highlight. Since it's closer to us (I assume, from the angle) it would be catching some light, I think. His tongue should probably start some somewhere in the center of his mouth, too, since right now it kind of looks like it's coming out of the side of his mouth.
Otherwise, very well done. I could tell what it was a (pseudo-) revamp of right away.

Geez, that took forever for it to let me edit that in. Is it just me or did the forums just go through a real slooowwww period? And Database Error crap?

Last edited:
Trainercard.png

I mainly just want crit on the sprite edits, but the only way I have them is on my card x3 Did I do a good job editing?

Uh, some parts have an all black outline, you could put some pixels of a darker shade of the colour you''re bordering there. And her leg looks like it's in a really awkward position, impossible, really, unless she's showing us her back and twisting around to face us.

Um, yeah. Also, the letters in 'Suno' seem to be really far apart, in the games the shadow touches the black part of the next letter.

Just made this sprite of Gardevoir:
Happy_Birthday_26920.png

Completely scratch, by the way. I'd appreciate criticism.

Don't use Iaza! It deletes your sprite after a while! Just needed to get that out.

It seems perfect, from what I can see. Although that bit at the back of the head, where the line of the hair is in a sort of spike-like pattern, there's something about that that irks me... I'm not completely sure what, though. In fact, I might be wrong and those could be actual spikes in the side of Gardevoir's head, I'm not entirely certain. If that is so, then they should probably be a little... pointier. Also, at the front of the hair where you have that big spot of highlight, I think that the curve of the bottom 'edge' of that highlight, on the fringe bit, could be a little steeper, and could end at a lower point on the (viewer's) left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom