• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PWO_SCRIB_51610.png

Scratch sprite of that chinchilla. I'd especially like to recieve criticism on the shading.

Shading looks nice but I think it could use more contrast. Otherwise it's fine, but it just does not resemble Chiramii very much.

echorus.gif

Chiramii avatar for a friend on dA
I know the body should move more like the head, but could I get crit on something other than that?

Shading looks nice but I think it could use more contrast. Otherwise it's fine, but it just does not resemble Chiramii very much.

echorus.gif

Chiramii avatar for a friend on dA
I know the body should move more like the head, but could I get crit on something other than that?

Thank you <3~ I'll probably have to make the body smaller and work on its eyes a bit more, as well as working on the contrast. Thanks again.

As for your Chiramii avatar, over all it looks very nice. I think you nailed the eyes. However, the smaller tuft of fur on its head makes its right (out left) eye look off. Also the middle fur tuft loses a pixel in one part, which makes the animation seem less smooth.

More vaporeon reposes. Comments/crit please

The first one is good, but the tail kinda looks like it's coming out of Vaporeon's right side.

I like the second one but it looks like it doesn't have a nose, also the paw it's reaching with looks a little odd.

Otherwise, really nice!

celebidevamp.png

Celebi devamp.

mewk.png

Mew repose in Celebi's Soul Silver. I didn't plan on it being so short and chibi-like, but maybe it's just me.

scyther.png

Scyther revamp. Not sure that I like it that much.

Comments/crit?

HEY GUYS. Pocket Spriter #4 - Thrill of the Sprite is tonight! Here's our panel schedule.

Fire Water and Grass (and others) - A look into starter design (7:00-8:00)
I Am Legend(ary) - Another design discussion, this time on legendaries. (8:00-9:00)
So you want to be a Sugimori artist? - Sugimori-style tutorial hosted by Involuntary Twitch (9:00-10:00)
Happy Hour/Anything Goes - In which we did the first ever English dub of Orochuban Ebichu (10:00-11:00)

If you don't remember the link, it's http://www.livestream.com/pocketspriter.

Be there or be pixelated! All times are EST.

LuvdiscEvothingyYeahIDK.png

Scratch Luvdisc Evo thingy. Yeah, I dunno.

I may make the tail heart-shaped to give it more of a love motif (i.e. Cupid's Arrows), but whatever. And I know that the shading is weird, it's because I based it on the Luvdisc DP sprite. Which has incredibly weird shading.

It looks okay, but it needs to be more heart shaped, look a little less like it's basic stage I guess. and the shading is all wrong, the bottom does not usually get lighter, and the tail needs shading.

Greendratini.png

TCoD sprite, C+C please!

CUTE. The very bottom where there's a highlight looks a little odd. Can I have C+C on the sprites in my last post up there?

The biggest things I see is the arm lengths aren't the same and the knees don't line up, either. One knee is higher than the other, yet the feet are at the same level on the assumed standing surface.

You'd have to completely redo the sprite, but might I suggest a pose where it's coming towards the viewer and its torso is closer and the lower body further away? As it is, fitting the whole body into the size limit as making its details small and unclear.
lugia2.png
lugia1.png

I like using these two to demonstrate this. The one on the left is at an angle where the head is closer to the viewer so it's bigger and you can tell what's going on, while its feet are further away but they're just feet so you still know what those look like. With the one on the right everything is about even but the head is harder to make out.

ok, I get it. I'll try that.
EDIT:
didn't redo it, I hope this fixes it.
abysseon-3.png

Last edited:
Yay avatar frames of a Togetic! I love Togetic so much!
togeticavatar.png
togeticavatar2.png

It's supposed to look like it's going up and down, flapping, ect
Can someone animate to be as fast as the other avatars in my signature?

I made some revamps of some old sprites.
micfist1.png
- micfist
medefist-1.png
- medefist
megafist-1.png
- megafist.
waterstarter1.png
waterstarter2.png
waterstarter3.png

grassstartera.png
grassstarterb.png
grassstarterc.png

EDIT: I made water and grass starters too. C+CC?

Last edited:
YAY155.png

I posted this a while back but didn't get any comments and I'm still wondering if there's anything I can do to make the shading on the cat on the left look better :/ I mean I've heard that it would look better with sharp changes in shade (like a Pokémon sprite) but that makes the sprite look kinda flat imo, what do the kind souls who will bother to respond think?

Last edited:
Another repose.

Also, I fixed the tail of one of the Vaporeon reposes I did earlier.

Last edited:
@wolftamer: The revamped sprites look much better than your older ones. The highlighting on Megafist looks a bit wonky though. There's a random pixel or two of light on his left leg(our right), and the highlight down the side of the right leg(our left) doesn't really seem smooth enough. Also, his right arm needs to be smoothed out a bit: there's two long lines of outline and then one or two pixels of outline that ends at the wrist-thing. The middle line needs to be smaller, so move a couple of the pixels to the bottom line. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say without me have to make an example or something. The others can use some work as well, but it's mainly Megafist that looks a little off to me.

@Leafpool: I don't really see much wrong with the shading, tbh. Maybe just add a bit more contrast to the areas furthest away from the light?

@dragonair: Umbreon's head looks inflated. It needs to be shrunk some. Also, Vaporeon looks a little fat. What sprites were the poses originally from(assuming that you aren't completely scratching these sprites)? Because if you are making a different sprite into another Pokemon(in this case, Vaporeon and Umbreon), you need to edit the sprite so that the body proportions are correct. If you are doing them from scratch, you just need to work on making your outlines better. Other than the body proportions and the outline being off, they look fine.

5047xw.png

Wowee...let's see how many sprites I splice together to create this beast:

Sceptile(frame 2), Grovyle(frame 1), Totodile(HG/SS frame 2), Croconaw(HG/SS), Feraligatr(D/P + HG/SS frame 1), Rhydon(HG/SS frame 1), Delibird(HG/SS frame 1), Tyranitar(D/P), Ursaring(D/P frame 1). The pallete was ripped from Turtwig's Platinum sprite.

Let's see...10 sprites, 11 counting Turtwig.

Charmeleon_by_vaporchu8.png
(R/B Charmeleon revamp)
Scyther_by_vaporchu8.png
(R/B Scyther revamp)
Ralts_family_Yellow_style_by_vaporchu8.png

Herp derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom