• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Theism, Religion and Lack thereof

Re: The to-be short lived theism thread

Wait, wait, wait. Pwnemon, did you just imply that women don't have souls?

Jesus Christ, I kinda want to punch you in the face right now.

Now, I am an athiest, but I was raised Catholic. But you might have to correct me if I'm wrong.

So, according to Christian mythology, because Eve was the first to eat the fruit, not only did women get saddled with periods, pregnancy, constant emotional warfare during teenagerhood, outrageous social norms, and double standards, but we also don't get souls?

It's a good thing there's no God, because otherwise, half the population is screwed. Maybe the Greeks were onto something.

Lolno, I said women DO have souls.

You can call me a lot of things, but sexist ain't one.

EDIT: Post 50! Woot!

Sin physically deformed Adam and Eve. Literally, it destroyed their bodies, making them able to die. This, like most other defects (Susceptibility to cancer, brittle bones) was passed down.

That's one I haven't heard. It's interesting, but... Why did god decide to not just fix their children so the punishment stopped with their parents? Was he not able?

... wait, that was in response to my post?

I know that, I just really like asking things just to hear what people say. I obviously have my own answer and everyone probably knows what it is already (feel free to ask if you don't).

... I was going to say "if god killed Adam and Eve there would be no more people" but then it occurred to me he could have started over and taken precautions next time.

...But that raises even more questions! God is supposed to be all-knowing and stuff, right? Did he not know they would eat the fruit? Why did he allow satan to exist while god was making all his perfect things? Did he not know satan would get himself involved? Is he unable to destroy satan himself? Why doesn't he?

To quote Epicurus,
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

This is the soundest thing I've ever heard in my life but it's only one star on thinkexist.com. Most of the counters I've heard are, basically, "oh it's god we're not supposed to know this stuff! I mean, god" and that doesn't cut it for me. This god condones many terrible things and people just eat it up. I can't believe in that.

Last edited:

That's one I haven't heard. It's interesting, but... Why did god decide to not just fix their children so the punishment stopped with their parents? Was he not able?

Definitely he was able. Lol really odd pun. But why he did not, we will never know. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

EDIT for ninja: I do think I know why God kept Satan. To have free will we needed an alternate choice. Otherwise it would be like a parent showing you vanilla Ice Cream and saying you could choose your flavor. I would think this would work in the above scenario as well though IDK.

derp derp mysterious

You mean He's an asshole for no reason. You won't admit that, and neither will anybody else, so you convince yourself it's just because He's God and He Works In Mysterious Ways.

1) actually, if you check my edit, it gives a reason I think the Lord may have kept sin.

2) The Bible.

Hm... why would he give us free will but punish us if we make the wrong decision, though? Especially if he left those evils for us to have the opportunity to choose? If he wanted a certain result from us he could easily get it. To me this goes back to his motives for creating life to begin with... Was he lonely? Did he want to be entertained? I find it hard to believe he has some mysterious reason we can't comprehend, but I guess that would be because I'm "just" a human. But why doesn't he want us to understand!?

It's all just a bunch of convoluted metaphysics that people still cling to even in this age where we can explain pretty well how so many of the things in the world came to be, probably because way back in the day it was spread by the tip of a sword. If you didn't believe in it, you were dead. Most religions that are still practiced today were spread this way. It isn't anymore and it would seem humans are finally realizing it's becoming more safe to admit you don't believe in ancient desert tribe myths... I would think the world would be so much happier today without the more oppressive influences of religion. Homosexuals and bisexuals wouldn't need to fear loving who they want to, women who become unintentionally pregnant wouldn't have to be burdened with a child they don't want, children would be less likely to be stuck with parents who don't want them, are unable or are unfit to raise them properly... People wouldn't be afraid of wanting things, of wanting to learn, of wanting better for themselves in life. People could make their own choices, and would think more about things, instead of turning to some ancient books to explain things for them. There would be better and less vague reasons behind everything. That's how I feel.

Last edited:

Hm... why would he give us free will but punish us if we make the wrong decision, though? Especially if he left those evils for us to have the opportunity to choose? If he wanted a certain result from us he could easily get it. To me this goes back to his motives for creating life to begin with... Was he lonely? Did he want to be entertained?

It's all just a bunch of convoluted metaphysics that people still cling to even in this age where we can explain pretty well how so many of the things in the world came to be, probably because way back in the day it was spread by the tip of a sword. It isn't anymore and it would seem humans are finally realizing it's becoming more safe to admit you don't believe in ancient desert tribe myths...

I'm going to repeat the words of a friend of mine:

Posts like this make me wish we still had the rep system.

I expanded on it because I didn't realize you'd posted after me, if you want to refresh. x_x I should start thinking harder about what I want to say before I hit that post button instead of adding in afterthoughts...

All I'm going to say is that if God had not introduced evil, then what would good have to fight for? Unless you want a life without any fluctuations.

Is misfortune linked to evil and fortune linked to good, I gather? You can still have variety in life without having to have evil in it. Why does there have to be a good and an evil that a god introduced for us? Are people only comfortable if they have a more detailed explanation for the good and bad things that happen to them than "shit happens"? It doesn't even have to be a fight of good vs evil. You could just as easily call it a fight for a better world for everyone, without having to attribute it to some divine creator.

Alruanne, you have to admit one thing about religion- it has always provided a moral compass for the world. Even people who disagree with Christianity typically pass Jesus off for being a "moral teacher". As far back as the world goes people have been religious, even the Greeks whom you mentioned somewhere. If people are making decisions with no greater power in mind than themselves, the world will fall into a ruin of immorality.

Aww, forget it. It's past one and I'm not even making sense to myself this late at night.

EDIT: and now I even have a Ninja post to deal with. Conversation shall resume in the morning.

Hm. I'll have to sit on that one. I know of an answer to that one but I'm not sure how to put it at the moment. Here is a relevant video for when both of us have the time: http://blip.tv/file/3825518 (yeah I keep linking to this guy but sometimes he just makes so much sense to me- I saw this video already when it was first uploaded but I don't remember it well enough to like, reference it or whatever. I just remember I agreed with a lot of it.)

Man, don't you hate it when posting on a forum feels like talking on a phone and you have to answer right away? xP "Well, I'll let you go. I need to go do something or another." Sorry if you feel like I've got you caught or something, I need to go to sleep myself. Today was election day but I has the school tomorrow.

Last edited:

I'm not sure completely what you mean, but wouldn't 'a better world' be one without treachery? But there is no reaching perfect, so it's an ever-reaching phenomenon. And of course stuff happens, but there's usually a reason for everything (I'm not really talking about things like natural disasters). People are people, and must have some sort of inner reason for what they do.
If we're only talking about misfortune, and not evil, something would happen like: A natural disaster happens. Everyone helps. Everything goes back to normal. Repeat. Sure, it's a form of fluctuation, but it's pattern gives in to itself. Misfortune happens, of course, but with a presence of evil (not as in misfortune-evil, as you're calling it), it gives us something to stay together.
Edit: Ninja'd twice. But yeah, it's getting late.

Back
Top Bottom