• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Theism, Religion and Lack thereof

So why doesn't any of this mystic mojo happen today? It would really not be hard for God to just smite all the gays and atheists and people who follow the 50 bajillion other religions out there.

Or he could just, y'know, not exist.

Christianity is no more believable than any other religion. I really don't understand why people don't seem to get this.

So the guy was blinded just so Jesus could perform a miracle and make him see again. How is that a good excuse? 'Here, you'll live most of your life blind so some guy can show off how awesome he is in the future how can you not think this is fair'
Really, this counts for every thing of this sort God does in the Bible. When he orders a guy to kill his son only to stop him at the last moment, it never struck me as at all fair to fuck around with people's feelings and heads and lives just cause.
Saying 'not all suffering is punishment for sin' is a pretty good summing up of the entire problem because it is stunningly common how often god does horrible things for the sake of being a jerk.

Also, even IF you saw the most ultimate of proof that god had punished Jews ~2000 years after the fact (ignoring for a moment the Inquisition and the persecution against Jews during the Crusades etc etc), how could you possibly condone the killing of millions of people? Like, under any circumstance?

I was recently mentioned in a podcast by "The Thinking Atheist".

Also this is a great channel. I was mentioned in the most recent podcast (#8) I'm the person who wrote the letter in. You might recognize what the letter. ((It's teh same stuff I posted in this forums some time ago))

Pwnemon-It's a Miracle

You said you were raised a Christian and you don't remember what comes next? He unblinds him.

Being raised Christian in Britain means that you know the Ten Commandments, you know that people outside of the norm are bad, Italians are evil, Jews should be evil but aren't because of Germany, and that it's totally cool to choose death if your name begins with a 'J'.
You also learn the nativity scene, although the Xmas plays tend to be heavily stylised versions of this, because the drama teacher is so full of regret.
You watch the playdo stop-motion animation of the crucifixion every Easter, maybe you learn about Moses from the Prince of Egypt, you definately learn the plagues, and, uh, that's about it.
Sorry, I fell into an abyss of Nostalgia, there. Good times.
All ends in Comp, though.

Theist!
*Notes the majority of the membership of this site's forum, including the creator of it, are Atheist.*
*Dives underneath a table and sets up a pillow fort.*
Seriously tho', I'd be happy to debate with anyone about the existence or non-existence of God.

More in-depth Theist views: I believe that Christ's unique first-hand experience of the spiritual world was recorded by multiple authors, and the reason for the text symmetry in the later Bibles is so it was easier to copy down by scribes and/or are translations from the original language of the original authors, and the accounts were actually much more varied. However, I do believe what Christ had to say, and that is faith. I have faith in his subjective experiences, as I would if I lived in a world of blind person, and someone recorded what it was like to see, and I would believe in sight, light, and colors as the recording of this person's subjective experience. I believe the New covenant laid out by Jesus applies to everyone, and the Old covenant applies to Jewish people. The reason why the Jews have a more strict law system from God is because they are the culture that Jesus had to be raised in and possibly be born again into at a later date. Perhaps Jews are also under the new covenant because Christ has already been born, I am not sure. As well, I believe it is ignorant to say things like the Big Bang and the process of evolution did not occur. I mean, why wouldn't God be able to influence the world by those ways?

*Notes that I just lost most of the Theists on my side*
*reinforces pillow fort*

Mêlée!

More in-depth Theist views: I believe that Christ's unique first-hand experience of the spiritual world was recorded by multiple authors, and the reason for the text symmetry in the later Bibles is so it was easier to copy down by scribes and/or are translations from the original language of the original authors, and the accounts were actually much more varied.

How do you know any of this is anything close to accurate?

However, I do believe what Christ had to say, and that is faith. I have faith in his subjective experiences, as I would if I lived in a world of blind person, and someone recorded what it was like to see, and I would believe in sight, light, and colors as the recording of this person's subjective experience.

Why? Why Jesus? Why not Muhammad? Why not Zeus? Why particularly Christ?

I believe the New covenant laid out by Jesus applies to everyone, and the Old covenant applies to Jewish people. The reason why the Jews have a more strict law system from God is because they are the culture that Jesus had to be raised in and possibly be born again into at a later date. Perhaps Jews are also under the new covenant because Christ has already been born, I am not sure.

Uh. Does this hold if you're a Christian only? Because I'm an atheist, and I plan on using my own morals, not some shitty New Covenant that some 2000 year old preacher man with half-wit morals forced upon me. I'm able to determine my own morals, thank you very much.

As well, I believe it is ignorant to say things like the Big Bang and the process of evolution did not occur. I mean, why wouldn't God be able to influence the world by those ways?

Because there's no shred of evidence that he did so. It's extraneous to postulate God did it when our current theories and models (happy now, opal :D) predict its current existence pretty accurately.

Or, to borrow Haldane: it could be so easily be proved wrong by "fossil rabbits in the Precambrian". It would be very easy to prove outside interference.

Evolution doesn't say anything about God. Neither does the Big Bang model. They are conjectures, hypotheses and the like of science that have been constructed through evidence. But the evidence is that we do not need God to explain anything. So even if he does exist, why tag him on?

How do you know any of this is anything close to accurate?

I am open to other theories. Not like I base my entire faith around that theory, I thought I'd just bring it up. I know for a fact Jesus existed and preached what we are told he preached because it seems unlikely that a bunch of people just decided for little reason to get themselves persecuted believing in something that wasn't preached by a man who didn't exist.
Why? Why Jesus? Why not Muhammad? Why not Zeus? Why particularly Christ?
a) Jesus had multiple authors documenting his things (as opposed to Muhammed's singular composition), had nothing to gain other than an execution by making his beliefs public (wherein Muhammed unified Arabia as its leader, making his family wealthy-land owners) and Jesus did not emerge from Proto-Indo-European Mythology.

Uh. Does this hold if you're a Christian only? Because I'm an atheist, and I plan on using my own morals, not some shitty New Covenant that some 2000 year old preacher man with half-wit morals forced upon me. I'm able to determine my own morals, thank you very much.

*scratches head* Um...why are you denouncing the morals without knowing what they are? I just believe that when you die, what you did here has very little effect, because you are forgiven for your sins no matter what, and that all of us will be given the choice to enter heaven by time of second judgement. In the meantime, getting saved allows you to have somewhere nice to be until second judgement. Whether "X is right" or "X is wrong" is not something that really matters in the grand spiritual scheme of things.

[arguments I put forth on a daily basis]
Exactly. I am wondering if you misread what I said, I completely agree with you on these topics. I think tacking Them on to these things cheapen Them. Because They have no real life function. Jesus' teachings are not helpful in explaining the natural world (not much detail is given), Jesus' teachings are not helpful in telling you right from wrong (you will be forgiven), and really, his teachings are only helpful if you want to know how spirits, God, and the spiritual world operate. His teachings are very, very helpful in this regard. They are given in metaphors so we can understand the concepts that are very beyond our mode of thinking, and from it we can get a mental framework of what the afterlife is like.

I am open to other theories. Not like I base my entire faith around that theory, I thought I'd just bring it up. I know for a fact Jesus existed and preached what we are told he preached because it seems unlikely that a bunch of people just decided for little reason to get themselves persecuted believing in something that wasn't preached by a man who didn't exist.

Evidence that he existed. I need evidence. Good, solid, reliable historic evidence from multiple sources.

a) Jesus had multiple authors documenting his things (as opposed to Muhammed's singular composition), had nothing to gain other than an execution by making his beliefs public (wherein Muhammed unified Arabia as its leader, making his family wealthy-land owners) and Jesus did not emerge from Proto-Indo-European Mythology.

What does this matter? You still haven't given any reason why you would pick Christ over Muhammad, Zeus, or any other deity. What, fundamentally, attracts you to Jesus more? What makes his divinity more true than Muhammad's divinity? Why is his story worth more because it made him less money? What's the ultimate difference between Greek mythology and Biblical mythology (!) ?

*scratches head* Um...why are you denouncing the morals without knowing what they are? I just believe that when you die, what you did here has very little effect, because you are forgiven for your sins no matter what, and that all of us will be given the choice to enter heaven by time of second judgement. In the meantime, getting saved allows you to have somewhere nice to be until second judgement. Whether "X is right" or "X is wrong" is not something that really matters in the grand spiritual scheme of things.

But it is exactly what matters! Let me tell you a little story. I haven't read any modern version of the Bible, but I did have some religious education, and for a long period during my teenage years when I was about thirteen, I went to church regularly. (Not that I cared about it, it was a family thing). I know the morals of the Bible. I studied them just as you did. Maybe not as extensively. And the morals of the Bible are nothing short of despicable. I know my morals. I know my truth. And I don't need God to tell me any fucking thing about it. God condones rape, incest and slavery. And you think I'm supposed to take his moral authority seriously?

If truth doesn't matter, if all that matters is the afterlife, why don't I just kill myself? It's much better than it is here if it is like you describe it is. But you know what? How the fuck do I know that that's not gonna happen? Because I don't have evidence. So I'm supposed to take the word of a 2000 year old book that says I'll go to heaven on the basis of what exactly?

Furthermore, if I am going to be forgiven anyway, and right and wrong do not matter, why don't I just commit genocide while I'm at it? You cannot be moral and say everyone is forgiven anyway. It doesn't work.

Don't pull morality crap on me. Right and wrong matter very much in every sense of the word. Do not think you are a better person than me or someone else on the basis of an ancient book whose topics are more gruesome than the average horror literature today. Do not think you're stronger than me because your comforting vision of heaven is promised by someone who would sacrifice the population of everyone that doesn't proclaim to his idea of idolatry.

Your God is petty, unjust, simple-minded, foul, capricious, and a bully. If you think your proclamation of heaven will save anyone, forget it.

Exactly. I am wondering if you misread what I said, I completely agree with you on these topics. I think tacking Them on to these things cheapen Them. Because They have no real life function. Jesus' teachings are not helpful in explaining the natural world (not much detail is given), Jesus' teachings are not helpful in telling you right from wrong (you will be forgiven), and really, his teachings are only helpful if you want to know how spirits, God, and the spiritual world operate. His teachings are very, very helpful in this regard. They are given in metaphors so we can understand the concepts that are very beyond our mode of thinking, and from it we can get a mental framework of what the afterlife is like.

Spiritual things are nonsense. Here's the thing. If these angels, demons and spirits exist, and we can see them, we can hear them, we can touch them - they are physically tangible entities. They can be proven to exist by simple physical laws. They are bound by them as much as we are. If they are not, then there is no way in hell you can postulate anything close to it.

If there is a demon moving objects in your house, it should be a piece of cake to find it and stop it and show it exists. But it doesn't. You don't walk in on a demon.

This is nonsensical bullshit. If those things exist we should have physical evidence for them. If not, it's extraneous to postulate them.

Eloi said:
I know for a fact Jesus existed and preached what we are told he preached because it seems unlikely that a bunch of people just decided for little reason to get themselves persecuted believing in something that wasn't preached by a man who didn't exist.

a fact is something that needs to be backed up with evidence. something like the bible makes pretty poor evidence because a) it's really, really old and contains a lot of things that are irrelevant to modern society, b) it contradicts itself and c) has been used to oppress others for centuries (an easy example; the oppression of women).
a) and b) particularly relevant because one thing I really don't understand about the bible is why something that is supposed to be used to dictate someone's religious practises can be outdated and contradictory. the people who follow the bible to the letter are extremely few in number because there are so many passages that are irrelevant now, like not eating shellfish and so on. if God is real and actually cares about whether people do these things, why is it now acceptable to do things that were once taboo because of the bible? surely he'd be smiting people left and right these days because people aren't following the bible quite as closely as they used to. shouldn't God's word be a universal truth? either he simply doesn't care too much about people eating prawns any more, or the bible was wrong. in either case, I think it's pretty poor grounds for evidence either way. it's either not God's word (and therefore wrong) or God's ideas have changed, making the bible unreliable.

furthermore, what I don't understand is how having God be the answer to everything we don't understand (i.e. what happens after death, the creation of the universe) is at all a good explanation. any other explanation for things we don't understand (like scientific ones) require evidence that can be backed up, preferably as modern as possible. religion has neither of those things, and I really don't understand why this is okay or acceptable. :/

a fact is something that needs to be backed up with evidence. something like the bible makes pretty poor evidence because a) it's really, really old and contains a lot of things that are irrelevant to modern society, b) it contradicts itself and c) has been used to oppress others for centuries (an easy example; the oppression of women).
a) and b) particularly relevant because one thing I really don't understand about the bible is why something that is supposed to be used to dictate someone's religious practises can be outdated and contradictory. the people who follow the bible to the letter are extremely few in number because there are so many passages that are irrelevant now, like not eating shellfish and so on. if God is real and actually cares about whether people do these things, why is it now acceptable to do things that were once taboo because of the bible? surely he'd be smiting people left and right these days because people aren't following the bible quite as closely as they used to. shouldn't God's word be a universal truth? either he simply doesn't care too much about people eating prawns any more, or the bible was wrong. in either case, I think it's pretty poor grounds for evidence either way. it's either not God's word (and therefore wrong) or God's ideas have changed, making the bible unreliable.

furthermore, what I don't understand is how having God be the answer to everything we don't understand (i.e. what happens after death, the creation of the universe) is at all a good explanation. any other explanation for things we don't understand (like scientific ones) require evidence that can be backed up, preferably as modern as possible. religion has neither of those things, and I really don't understand why this is okay or acceptable. :/

a) You can apply that to any historical document. b)thats the fault of the people who copied and translated it, not where it came from. I think the Old Testament is bull, by the way. c) Jesus' teaching about forgiveness and caring has been used to persecute women? How?

And after that, your argument is riddled with false dichotomies. When you have an argument without that many logical fallacies, please come back to me.

Evidence that he existed. I need evidence. Good, solid, reliable historic evidence from multiple sources.

You can see the effects of his presence today, look around.

What does this matter? You still haven't given any reason why you would pick Christ over Muhammad, Zeus, or any other deity. What, fundamentally, attracts you to Jesus more? What makes his divinity more true than Muhammad's divinity? Why is his story worth more because it made him less money? What's the ultimate difference between Greek mythology and Biblical mythology (!) ?
Because Greek Mythology has prior basis in comparative mythology, wherein Christ's discussions on the metaphysical do not. As well, Greek Mythology tries to explain the natural world, Christ does not. I know that Greek Mythology is false because its theories about the natural world have been disproven. And, I know that he didn't have anything to gain from just making all of it up, unlike Muhammad.
But it is exactly what matters! Let me tell you a little story. I haven't read any modern version of the Bible, but I did have some religious education, and for a long period during my teenage years when I was about thirteen, I went to church regularly. (Not that I cared about it, it was a family thing). I know the morals of the Bible. I studied them just as you did. Maybe not as extensively. And the morals of the Bible are nothing short of despicable. I know my morals. I know my truth. And I don't need God to tell me any fucking thing about it. God condones rape, incest and slavery. And you think I'm supposed to take his moral authority seriously?

Remember the whole "New Testament supplanting Old Testament" thing? It really helps that a lot.
If truth doesn't matter, if all that matters is the afterlife, why don't I just kill myself? It's much better than it is here if it is like you describe it is. But you know what? How the fuck do I know that that's not gonna happen? Because I don't have evidence. So I'm supposed to take the word of a 2000 year old book that says I'll go to heaven on the basis of what exactly?
Faith, like I noted earlier, I don't expect you to believe it, and I really can't say that I care what you do, because we are all going to a good place anyway. However, I will present an alternate question: how does life have any meaning with no afterlife? People die randomly around you for trivial reasons, and all work they or you produce to change the world is all for not, and...I don't know, a life without afterlife is pretty depressing. How do you not?
Furthermore, if I am going to be forgiven anyway, and right and wrong do not matter, why don't I just commit genocide while I'm at it? You cannot be moral and say everyone is forgiven anyway. It doesn't work.
You don't commit genocide because its not a good thing to do. Follow your own morals, like you have been saying.

Don't pull morality crap on me. Right and wrong matter very much in every sense of the word. Do not think you are a better person than me or someone else on the basis of an ancient book whose topics are more gruesome than the average horror literature today. Do not think you're stronger than me because your comforting vision of heaven is promised by someone who would sacrifice the population of everyone that doesn't proclaim to his idea of idolatry.
I actually think you are a pretty tough person. You don't need the reassuring belief in an afterlife not to kill yourself. I ,on the other hand, am a very weak person who gets filled with dread if I start to lose faith that there is some sort of purpose is in this...place. Again, you are a pretty tough person, in the fact you can stand the idea that this flesh and body is the only way you will ever mediate with the world, and that every deformity or disablity you or anyone else has is not something that will be eventual overcome at the afterlife. Instead, blind people will never know what its like to see, ever. Because the world is a random and cruel crappy place like that. If I believed in all of that without any hope of anything besides that, I would kill myself. So for not killing yourself and believing all of that AND having a pretty good set of morals, I will say you are a lot better person that I am. I suck. A lot. If there is anything we can agree upon, it is that.
Your God is petty, unjust, simple-minded, foul, capricious, and a bully. If you think your proclamation of heaven will save anyone, forget it.
I wouldn't try on any of you, you are already dead-set on something else. Also, if you read what I said, I said everyone is going to heaven no matter what you do. Your purpose on Earth, here? Well, determine it for yourself and make your own morals like you already doing.

Spiritual things are nonsense. Here's the thing. If these angels, demons and spirits exist, and we can see them, we can hear them, we can touch them - they are physically tangible entities.
We can't, thats why they are spiritual things and not physical things.

This is nonsensical bullshit. If those things exist we should have physical evidence for them. If not, it's extraneous to postulate them.

Why would you have physical evidence for a group of things loosely bunched together under "non-physical"?

Eloi said:
a) You can apply that to any historical document.
that is true! but credible facts come from many sources, not just one. additionally, my point was: how can something that contains passages that are irrelevant to modern society contain truths about how humanity should live? how can that be the basis of evidence for God, Jesus and so on?

b)thats the fault of the people who copied and translated it, not where it came from. I think the Old Testament is bull, by the way.
but this is exactly my problem! how can anybody believe an ancient text that does not accurately describe the existence of God? if we know for sure that there are some parts of it that are inaccurate, doesn't that kind of undermine the bible entirely, particularly because it's a book of Jesus/God's teachings?

me too! c:

c) Jesus' teaching about forgiveness and caring has been used to persecute women? How?

I was referencing your previous quote; how can you assume the existence of Jesus because people have been persecuted in their beliefs of God when Christianity has been used many times to persecute others? Isn't that a little too ironic? The bible itself (perhaps not Jesus' teachings particularly, I'm not quite well-versed in the bible enough to know that) does persecute women!

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24)

there are more, but these are the ones that seemed the most obvious to me.

And after that, your argument is riddled with false dichotomies. When you have an argument without that many logical fallacies, please come back to me.
:o please point them out to me! the dichotomies in there are because I can't really see any logical alternative to them. if they're false, it's accidental. do you have alternatives to what I've said?

I am mostly arguing here because I'm interested to know what someone religious actually thinks; I don't hate religion and I'm not particularly against it. I'm just overly curious. :o

You can see the effects of his presence today, look around.

I just did. I didn't see shit.

Because Greek Mythology has prior basis in comparative mythology, wherein Christ's discussions on the metaphysical do not. As well, Greek Mythology tries to explain the natural world, Christ does not. I know that Greek Mythology is false because its theories about the natural world have been disproven. And, I know that he didn't have anything to gain from just making all of it up, unlike Muhammad.

So have the Biblical theories. So has every fucking mythology ever. My point is, I do not care about the mythology. The mythology is irrelevant. God either exists or he does not, and why would it be Jesus Christ over Muhammad?

Answer the question!

And fyi it doesn't matter whether we take Muhammad, Allah, Yahweh, FSM, IPU, whatever. Why does it have to be your deity?

Remember the whole "New Testament supplanting Old Testament" thing? It really helps that a lot.

Actually slavery is mentioned in the NT too, I believe it was in Luke somewhere. The NT is marginally better, but its morals are still pretty bad.

Faith, like I noted earlier, I don't expect you to believe it, and I really can't say that I care what you do, because we are all going to a good place anyway. However, I will present an alternate question: how does life have any meaning with no afterlife? People die randomly around you for trivial reasons, and all work they or you produce to change the world is all for not, and...I don't know, a life without afterlife is pretty depressing. How do you not?

I don't find it depressing. I find it depressing you're wasting your time on a psychological blanket, a thumb to suck. You've got such a beautiful world and all you wanna know is "what happens when I go?" Faith is a useless thing. How can you get hope from something like that? Doesn't hope consist of seeing good thing happens and making them come alive yourself, not waiting for anybody else to do it?

You're waiting for God, twiddling his thumbs, doing nothing. I'm making myself happy. If anything, atheism is comfort. Only it requires effort. You're just lazy.

You don't commit genocide because its not a good thing to do. Follow your own morals, like you have been saying.

Yeah, but my morals do not come from the Bible. I have independent criteria for that. You have independent criteria for the Bible too, else you would not be eating shellfish and stoning gays. But wait.... oh.

I actually think you are a pretty tough person. You don't need the reassuring belief in an afterlife not to kill yourself. I ,on the other hand, am a very weak person who gets filled with dread if I start to lose faith that there is some sort of purpose is in this...place.

But why? You get to choose your purpose. You can make your life happy. You just need to want to.

Again, you are a pretty tough person, in the fact you can stand the idea that this flesh and body is the only way you will ever mediate with the world, and that every deformity or disablity you or anyone else has is not something that will be eventual overcome at the afterlife. Instead, blind people will never know what its like to see, ever. Because the world is a random and cruel crappy place like that.

The world isn't exactly random. That's a first thing. The world is cruel to some people and kind to others. But what it is is impartial. There is no guilt or punishment involved for any blind people. It's just bad luck if you're blind. Nothing can help you. But blind people can make their own lives, usefulness and purposes. I am impressed by blind people, or people who lose their limbs in an accident, and keep on being tough motherfuckers.

On a forum I go to, there was a guy that played drums. His arm developed a huge cancer and he lost his arm. He's got a bionic arm now. The only question he asked was: "Where can I get electronic drum pads to compensate for the loss of my arm?"

That gives me much more hope than clinging to some futile idea I'll get my arm back.

If I believed in all of that without any hope of anything besides that, I would kill myself. So for not killing yourself and believing all of that AND having a pretty good set of morals, I will say you are a lot better person that I am. I suck. A lot. If there is anything we can agree upon, it is that.

Why do you need hope? Why do you need to delude yourself into having hope? There's always hope. Hope consists of you yourself being a better person. Religion talks systematic guilt into you. I don't have guilt. I'm a happy person. I'm very confident in myself, I have my beliefs. I have faith in my girlfriend and my family. I love life. I love food. I'm happy. You're missing out on so goddamn much.

I wouldn't try on any of you, you are already dead-set on something else. Also, if you read what I said, I said everyone is going to heaven no matter what you do. Your purpose on Earth, here? Well, determine it for yourself and make your own morals like you already doing.

How do you know we're all going to heaven? I'm not dead-set on anything. I would gladly accept a heaven if there was any such evidence. There isn't. That's why I don't accept theism. I already reviewed the evidence and then rejected it. It's nothing pre-made.

We can't, thats why they are spiritual things and not physical things.

But then how do you know spiritual things exist? Have you seen them yourself?

Why would you have physical evidence for a group of things loosely bunched together under "non-physical"?

non-physical equals non existent, and the phenomena you're describing all have effects that qualify as physical and thus tangible

I just did. I didn't see shit.
I meant all of the followers of his beliefs.

So have the Biblical theories. So has every fucking mythology ever. My point is, I do not care about the mythology. The mythology is irrelevant. God either exists or he does not, and why would it be Jesus Christ over Muhammad?
Because Jesus Christ had nothing to gain from it, this is the third time I've said this.

And fyi it doesn't matter whether we take Muhammad, Allah, Yahweh, FSM, IPU, whatever. Why does it have to be your deity?
Because I know unlike the Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (which are funny parody religions that I happen to like, actually, more the latter than former), and unlike the person-gain seeking Muhammad's Allah, and the cruel Yahweh, I just happen to think Jesus's account rings most truthful due to circumstances. I do *research* other religions, I don't just blindly pick one. And from my research, I think Jesus had the least to gain but stated his beliefs anyway, and for that, they must've been important to him, thus I am inclined to believe in him.
Actually slavery is mentioned in the NT too, I believe it was in Luke somewhere. The NT is marginally better, but its morals are still pretty bad.
Evidence please.
I don't find it depressing. I find it depressing you're wasting your time on a psychological blanket, a thumb to suck. You've got such a beautiful world and all you wanna know is "what happens when I go?" Faith is a useless thing. How can you get hope from something like that? Doesn't hope consist of seeing good thing happens and making them come alive yourself, not waiting for anybody else to do it?
What beautiful world?

You're waiting for God, twiddling his thumbs, doing nothing. I'm making myself happy. If anything, atheism is comfort. Only it requires effort. You're just lazy.
Probably true.
Yeah, but my morals do not come from the Bible. I have independent criteria for that. You have independent criteria for the Bible too, else you would not be eating shellfish and stoning gays. But wait.... oh.
I don't get your use of irony.

But why? You get to choose your purpose. You can make your life happy. You just need to want to.

You just can't decide not to have psychological problems. Elsewise psychologists would not have a job.
The world isn't exactly random. That's a first thing. The world is cruel to some people and kind to others. But what it is is impartial. There is no guilt or punishment involved for any blind people. It's just bad luck if you're blind. Nothing can help you. But blind people can make their own lives, usefulness and purposes. I am impressed by blind people, or people who lose their limbs in an accident, and keep on being tough motherfuckers.

On a forum I go to, there was a guy that played drums. His arm developed a huge cancer and he lost his arm. He's got a bionic arm now. The only question he asked was: "Where can I get electronic drum pads to compensate for the loss of my arm?"

That gives me much more hope than clinging to some futile idea I'll get my arm back.

Ah, I see.

Why do you need hope? Why do you need to delude yourself into having hope? There's always hope. Hope consists of you yourself being a better person. Religion talks systematic guilt into you. I don't have guilt. I'm a happy person. I'm very confident in myself, I have my beliefs. I have faith in my girlfriend and my family. I love life. I love food. I'm happy. You're missing out on so goddamn much.
I don't think my lack of happiness is related to my theism.
How do you know we're all going to heaven? I'm not dead-set on anything. I would gladly accept a heaven if there was any such evidence. There isn't. That's why I don't accept theism. I already reviewed the evidence and then rejected it. It's nothing pre-made.
Well, when the time comes, I will be happy to join you there. I just have faith now that it exists.

But then how do you know spiritual things exist? Have you seen them yourself?
Yes, and heard them.

non-physical equals non existent, and the phenomena you're describing all have effects that qualify as physical and thus tangible
If all non-physical equals non existent, do numbers exist?

that is true! but credible facts come from many sources, not just one. additionally, my point was: how can something that contains passages that are irrelevant to modern society contain truths about how humanity should live? how can that be the basis of evidence for God, Jesus and so on?
Ah, but that is the thing. Its irrelevant to modern society but very relevant to the society of the afterlife. It answers questions on the things we need answers to in relation to the spirtual realm.
but this is exactly my problem! how can anybody believe an ancient text that does not accurately describe the existence of God? if we know for sure that there are some parts of it that are inaccurate, doesn't that kind of undermine the bible entirely, particularly because it's a book of Jesus/God's teachings?

me too! c:
Actually no, because the Bible is not just one book with a bunch of chapters. I know for a fact that the Bible's books were complied by a council ~1700 years ago, and whenever I say "X is not truthful based on the evidence of Jesus's speech cross-confirmed by all of the gospels" I am denouncing the council's choice of inserting the book as opposed to denouncing God's credibility.
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)
Ugh Paul. That guy who was like "Jesus bandwagon!" and started writing stuff. But his analysis of Jesus's teachings let us know what they were in the first place, so, I suppose thats something.

Anyway, this may seem very sexist because your idea of a woman nowaday is at least an educated, literate person who likely cares about religion, average women in the Ancient Middle East would not be an educated bunch. They were not given oppurtunties for it due to sexism already there. I think was just more of "Don't let the uneducated women talk over the lesson, and if they want to bug the preacher with a question, have them ask their educated husbands." Again, this has oodles of unfortunate implications, but this was a series of practical preaching advice, it was by no means declaration of God's law.

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24)
Again, this was Paul jumping on the Jesus bandwagon, and according to some scholars, someone copying Paul jumping onto his bandwagon. I only believe in what Jesus has said in the four gospels, as well as what the gospels describe, and the rest is just interesting bits of trivia.
:o please point them out to me! the dichotomies in there are because I can't really see any logical alternative to them. if they're false, it's accidental. do you have alternatives to what I've said?

Sure thing.
if God is real and actually cares about whether people do these things, why is it now acceptable to do things that were once taboo because of the bible?
We have free will.
surely he'd be smiting people left and right these days because people aren't following the bible quite as closely as they used to.
Again, free will. Everyone technically breaks the holy law, he'd have to kill everyone in order to fulfill that request.
either he simply doesn't care too much about people eating prawns any more, or the bible was wrong.
Or the portion that he said people eating prawns could have been:
a) Practical advice for the Hebrew people.
b) Not actually given by God, which I suspect most of the Old Testament is not given by God.
I am mostly arguing here because I'm interested to know what someone religious actually thinks; I don't hate religion and I'm not particularly against it. I'm just overly curious. :o

People religious just have faith in people's subjective experiences in history. Its like someone documenting what its like to see in a world of blind people 2000 years ago, and people believing that this whole world of "sight" exists.

in either case, I think it's pretty poor grounds for evidence either way. it's either not God's word (and therefore wrong) or God's ideas have changed, making the bible unreliable.
Or, portions of the Bible's books were not correctly chosen by the council while others were.

I was referencing your previous quote; how can you assume the existence of Jesus because people have been persecuted in their beliefs of God when Christianity has been used many times to persecute others? Isn't that a little too ironic? The bible itself (perhaps not Jesus' teachings particularly, I'm not quite well-versed in the bible enough to know that) does persecute women!
If you want Paul himself (who you used for the quotes) to give an opinion on women in relation to men:

Galatians 3:28 'There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Hi denizens of the forum. I have officially given up trying to debate with any one of you. There is nothing to gain out of it than making me sad and driving you people away. So...yay, good job you all won.

Eloi said:
Ah, but that is the thing. Its irrelevant to modern society but very relevant to the society of the afterlife. It answers questions on the things we need answers to in relation to the spirtual realm.
a) assuming the afterlife exists, and the only proof I can see is the bible. isn't it a bit too circular for the bible to teach of the afterlife that exists because what the bible says? it relies entirely on itself, from what I understand.
b) if we need it in the society of the afterlife, why do we have it now, when as you've said before, what we do in this life doesn't matter because we'll be forgiven?
c) I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean that passages that are entirely irrelevant now (again, like eating shellfish!) are going to be somehow relevant when we die? why would this be the case? I'm not sure I understand your ideas of the afterlife, either, because they seem unconventional.

Actually no, because the Bible is not just one book with a bunch of chapters. I know for a fact that the Bible's books were complied by a council ~1700 years ago, and whenever I say "X is not truthful based on the evidence of Jesus's speech cross-confirmed by all of the gospels" I am denouncing the council's choice of inserting the book as opposed to denouncing God's credibility.

but if particular passages are not truthful or misinterpreted because of that, isn't that still kind of undermining? considering people often take the bible at base value and few research into it quite as thoroughly as you, and the bible represents christianity, that seems a little shaky to me. How am I supposed to take the bible seriously as a religious text and evidence of God if the only evidence in the bible has been put together by men, who may not have represented God's/Jesus' teachings all that faithfully?

Anyway, this may seem very sexist because your idea of a woman nowaday is at least an educated, literate person who likely cares about religion, average women in the Ancient Middle East would not be an educated bunch. They were not given oppurtunties for it due to sexism already there. I think was just more of "Don't let the uneducated women talk over the lesson, and if they want to bug the preacher with a question, have them ask their educated husbands." Again, this has oodles of unfortunate implications, but this was a series of practical preaching advice, it was by no means declaration of God's law.
that's still persecution! withholding education from a certain group is sexist, yes. How is it not at least an indirect declaration of God, if preachers preach God's/Jesus' teachings?

Again, this was Paul jumping on the Jesus bandwagon, and according to some scholars, someone copying Paul jumping onto his bandwagon. I only believe in what Jesus has said in the four gospels, as well as what the gospels describe, and the rest is just interesting bits of trivia.
again, if there are some passages in the bible that we know do not represent God's teachings, how can we take much of the bible seriously? we only know that Paul et al doesn't represent God's word all that faithfully because there's been historical research into it; how do we know that passages describing the afterlife (for example) are any more faithful? because it's so old, we really don't know for sure I guess. :|

We have free will.
Again, free will. Everyone technically breaks the holy law, he'd have to kill everyone in order to fulfill that request.
okay, sure, but that still doesn't answer my question; I was using eating shellfish as an example of how the bible has become outdated. But, you've said previously that what we do in this life is irrelevant because we're all forgiven, so...? does this mean we can't eat shellfish in the afterlife either? because if so, I'm not going.
if everyone technically breaks the holy law, why are they there in the first place? God must have high standards if everyone can break them so easily. why is it so important to not kill/steal/rape from a christian perspective if we're going to be forgiven anyway?

Or the portion that he said people eating prawns could have been:
a) Practical advice for the Hebrew people.
b) Not actually given by God, which I suspect most of the Old Testament is not given by God.

a) that makes sense, but it's still irrelevant to now.
b) so how do you go about believing in God, especially from the bible? you've disregarded a few parts of the bible now because they don't accurately describe God or his teachings so... what makes the rest of it so believable? especially because there's no modern evidence of God aside from other people believing in him too?

If you want Paul himself (who you used for the quotes) to give an opinion on women in relation to men:

so Paul himself is contradictory. ?_?

what you still haven't answered, which is the most important: how is having God be the answer to creation and the afterlife in any way a better explanation than the ones we have that are backed by evidence (or in the case of the afterlife not existing, lack of)? I cannot understand how believing in God is any more than an argument of ignorance; if you don't know the answer to something, you don't say 'it could be anything!', you say that you don't know. Why is God a better answer than not knowing? is it just because it's comforting?

Back
Top Bottom