• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Theism, Religion and Lack thereof

I'm using faith as in "belief without being able to experience it for yourself.

If it's belief in something that you cannot experience for yourself, then it is belief without evidence.

Because all the evidence of people's encounters with the paranormal, people's near-death experiences, people's beliefs in the afterlife at a very early point in civilization (and as you pointed out, this isn't a default or a logical conclusion from available evidence), leads me to believe that something is going on to you after you die. And not just individual accounts of these, the fact that there is just so many wide-ranging reports through out history of this and encounters with this leads me to believe that at least something is happening.

"Paranormal" encounters are simply events that people are incapable of explaining, or explainable events that people are overly willing to ascribe to "paranormal" causes. There is a scientific explanation for every "paranormal" event that has ever been described (except for those fabricated or exaggerated so as to exclude the actual scientific explanation), that mankind, at the time of the event, did not have the scientific knowledge to explain the event is not evidence that the event was "paranormal", simply that man was not knowledgeable enough to explain it.

Likewise with near-death experiences.

As for people's beliefs in the afterlife from an early point, that was there attempts to explain death and other natural phenomena when they didn't have the knowledge, or the intelligence to use that knowledge, to explain natural phenomena. But now we can explain most natural phenomena previously ascribed to supernatural causes. Why is the Norse belief that lightning was Thor out for a stroll any more valid as an explanation for lightning than the Christian belief that we all go to heaven when we die as an explanation for death?

Furthermore, basing your beliefs on reality on what people thought while less knowledge about reality is a bit silly.

And I realize that this something happening is something I can't experience because I was not given the ability to experience these things. However, it would be callous to just dismiss the experiences of others even if I can't experience it.

It may be callous to dismiss the experiences of others, but it isn't callous to dismiss their interpretation of those experiences. What people once thought was holy fire coming from the sky is now known to be ball lightning. Same experience, different interpretations. One is based on superstition, the other on science. The one based on objective fact is objectively true.

Thus, I concluded that if the afterlife is something that only a few people can interact with before they actually die, than a subjective experience-based thing such as this can not be supported by non-subjective experience based evidence. Most of the claimers of the afterlife and deity related experiences never claim that it is an objective experience. And objective experiences are very limited in that they have to take place in the majority of the minds of humans, and any quirks the majority of the minds of humans that may cheat them out of experiencing things can damn anything to the pits of "unprovable".

Again, all subjective experiences are also objective experiences, it is the interpretation of the experience that is subjective. One person's experience with the "after-life" could have been a dream, a psychotic episode or a bad drug trip. It is ridiculous to dismiss the scientific explanations of a phenomena before the "paranormal" explanations.

In fact, it is ridiculous to even consider "paranormal" explanations before first disproving all the scientific ones.

Having figured all of that, I decided I wanted to know more about this afterlife stuff from what evidence we have available i.e. religious documents. I sorted through all the ones I can find, and found that the testaments of Jesus Christ made the most sense to me, and seemed the most truthful. Thus I choose to have faith in his subjective experiences that I am unable to have due to the quirks of my perception of reality, and because of this I know much more about the afterlife and the beings I will encounter during it by simply trusting in the subjective experiences of others in history.

Again, his experiences are not subjective, his interpretation of them is. Any interpretation of an experience that occurred in this reality that is not supported by the physical laws of this reality is a false interpretation of that experience.

ARGH. AAAAAAAARGH. A good portion of the post got accidentally deleted. And it was a really, really, really long one. ARGH. *wallbang*
Nevermind. Found it.

Thing is, if you believe the Bible (though admittedly, you pick and choose, which I believe is pointless but that's not what this is about)

THE BIBLE IS NOT ONE BOOK. IT. IS. A. COLLECTION. OF. THEM.

Sorry for that outburst, I didn't think I would have to repeat this.

, God has smited people, eaning that he obviously can and has no aversion to it,
In the books of the Biblical collection I don't believe in, yes.

The fact that that is an option implies that God likes rapists and murderers and that, as they haven't been not-made.
Their choices to be murderers and rapists are their choices, not God's.

I'm sorry, but you've said that the reason you prefer Jesus to Mohammod is Jesus gained less. It's really bugging me that you haven't explained why that makes him right. Others have said this already, but at the very most, that would mean he thinks he's right.
I think his subjective experiences are true because I have faith that they are. Again, when it comes to things strictly-tied to subjective experience, you can only have trust that the experiencer is telling the truth, and because of the circumstances, I am inclined to believe that He is.
Sure he could have been dillusional, but that wouldn't have affected his charisma, or he wouldn't have gained the followers he gained. Saying that dillusions affect conviction is unfounded, and even so this all conjecture.

Being mentally ill does effect your people skills, because you can't control your delusions. Its a bit unlikely that all of his delusions worked in his charismatic favor when acquiring followers.

Either way, if that's your only reason to believe Jesus over other prophets, then surely Saiddhatta Guthama would be the obvious choice. After all, he was born in riches and chose to give them all up. Evidentally, this guy not only had less to gain than Jesus, he also lost so much more. In this case, obviously, life doesn't matter as each believed the next life would be better (or in Sid's case, that it would end the suffering).
I actually do believe his experiences could be true, I just haven't finished my exhaustive research on them yet.
Four gospels written by followers of Jesus. And, hell, they contradict each other.
Can you provide specific examples? From my research, they sync up pretty well, and each one adds different, but non-contradictory, information.
When the Japanese believed the Emperor was a living god, there were tons of literature about how he was divine and powerful. Why is it different when it's about Jesus?
Because Jesus is not a ruler. If you said "The Japanese Emperor is not a living God" when they believed that, bad things would happen to you. Saying "Jesus is not a living God." will not lead to a whole bunch of people attacking you at the time of Jesus living or now.
But the people? The majority? They wanted to believe that they could be forgiven for their sins. They wanted to believe in a heaven, and that their horrible lives would be better after death.

Why wouldn't they just believe that they are automatically sinless at birth and automatically go to heaven, and why would they want to believe that the person who say, murdered their entire family with the exception of them, won't get any punishment because he got saved?

That's how beliefs survive. Judaism survived Egypt's extravagence and Rome's hedonism by being morally rigid, and so not being absorbed. The same is said about Jesus. There were tons of 'messiahs' around his time, it's just that Jesus' teaching were sufficiently different to Judaism that they couldn't be consumed back into the faith.
If there "tons", please present a list of ten different messiahs forming new sects of Judaism living from 6BC-33AD.

Or a more modern example- voodoo. Sure, the original religion has been pretty diluted and mixed with Christianity, but it's still sufficiently different to be regarded as a different religion. A cool one, too. Their death god has sunglasses and a top hat, guys!
Please do research before saying something ignorant like that. For one thing, Maman Brigitte is a goddess, or more accurately, a Loa (or Lwa, I forget which) and she can be traced back to an Irish saint.
Unless you were referring to the psychopomp Papa Ghede, whose depictions differ, and the one you mentioned in one of many. Papa Ghede is said to be the first man to die, and I would assume such an ancient human would not have or prefer the items you mentioned, but I digress.

The thing is, you can tell that people think like you do, as thier actions are predictably similar to your own. That's why empathy is possible.
Or maybe they are similar to my own because my mind is making them all up, and I'm the only living, thinking thing in all of reality?

And a noice higher pitched than you can hear is logical, too. If you know that pitches change, and there is nothing that really limits the pitch, then logically the pitch will continue to be higher than your hearing.
But if I am told a song that consists of noises I can't hear sounds like Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water, I would have to have faith that it does because I can't hear it.

The afterlife is different, as the only thing you are able to compare it to is life. However, because the default stance is that there is no afterlife, then you only have Life with nothing to compare it to. When I say life, I don't mean being alive, I mean the world we can experience.
Yes, you can only express concepts that have are inequivalent to the world now with metaphors, what is your point?

If it's belief in something that you cannot experience for yourself, then it is belief without evidence.
Can someone who can't smell have evidence that certain poisons smell like walnuts? They can have faith that it does, but they can't experience it forthemselves.

"Paranormal" encounters are simply events that people are incapable of explaining, or explainable events that people are overly willing to ascribe to "paranormal" causes. There is a scientific explanation for every "paranormal" event that has ever been described (except for those fabricated or exaggerated so as to exclude the actual scientific explanation), that mankind, at the time of the event, did not have the scientific knowledge to explain the event is not evidence that the event was "paranormal", simply that man was not knowledgeable enough to explain it.
How do we know that other explanations of it are incorrect without knowing the actual explanation? Thats silly.

As for people's beliefs in the afterlife from an early point, that was there attempts to explain death and other natural phenomena when they didn't have the knowledge, or the intelligence to use that knowledge, to explain natural phenomena. But now we can explain most natural phenomena previously ascribed to supernatural causes. Why is the Norse belief that lightning was Thor out for a stroll any more valid as an explanation for lightning than the Christian belief that we all go to heaven when we die as an explanation for death?
Because we have no explanation for what happens to the thinking consciousness of a human after they expire, wherein we have an explanation of lightning.
Furthermore, basing your beliefs on reality on what people thought while less knowledge about reality is a bit silly.
"Less knowledge"? We still don't know what happens in a subjective experience of a human being once their bodies stop functioning anymore than the people of Jesus' time did.
It may be callous to dismiss the experiences of others, but it isn't callous to dismiss their interpretation of those experiences. What people once thought was holy fire coming from the sky is now known to be ball lightning. Same experience, different interpretations. One is based on superstition, the other on science. The one based on objective fact is objectively true.
Yes but what we experience after we expire is not ball lightning, nor do we have any explanations of what happens as clear as the ball lightning's explanation.
Again, all subjective experiences are also objective experiences, it is the interpretation of the experience that is subjective. One person's experience with the "after-life" could have been a dream, a psychotic episode or a bad drug trip. It is ridiculous to dismiss the scientific explanations of a phenomena before the "paranormal" explanations.
But there is no scientific explanation of our subjective experience of reality after our bodies cease function. Does it just "end"? What would the "ending" feel like? Would we be aware of this "ending"?
In fact, it is ridiculous to even consider "paranormal" explanations before first disproving all the scientific ones.
What scientific explanations?

Again, his experiences are not subjective, his interpretation of them is. Any interpretation of an experience that occurred in this reality that is not supported by the physical laws of this reality is a false interpretation of that experience.

Why are we confined to the physical laws of this reality when He is clearly referring to another reality?

Last edited:
Why are we confined to the physical laws of this reality when He is clearly referring to another reality?

Because we could also be confined to the laws of another reality where everything is ruled by slimy worm gods and maggot kings. It's entirely subjective to say "well, his reality must be true?" You have absolutely no clue whether he is referring to any Christian mythology as opposed to Worm Mythology. If you're allowing for a spiritual realm, you must also allow for the spiritual realms of every other mythology invented. It's easier just to dismiss it.

And more sensible.

Because we could also be confined to the laws of another reality where everything is ruled by slimy worm gods and maggot kings.
I am not sure in what scenario your "metaphor" works. Jesus did not describe this reality, and I am unsure of your point.
It's entirely subjective to say "well, his reality must be true?" You have absolutely no clue whether he is referring to any Christian mythology as opposed to Worm Mythology.
Him declaring himself Christ and never mentioning Worms leads to this conclusion.

If you're allowing for a spiritual realm, you must also allow for the spiritual realms of every other mythology invented.
You do not if you can find good reason to dismiss those using research.
It's easier just to dismiss it.
True, it is easier not to do any research on religion and dismiss the entire concept as false.
And more sensible.
Dismissing something without careful research is never sensible.

Eloi, I'm a little confused by your reasoning. You say the Bible is a collection of books written by different authors but roughly speaking about the same thing. Okay, got it, that does seem to be more or less true. My question: why does that make it any more reliable? Instead of a single book contradicting itself in places, you've got more books contradicting each other in places. It's still contradictory!

In the books of the Biblical collection I don't believe in, yes.

So... instead of picking and choosing passages you're picking and choosing books. Why is that different?

That is a false dichotomy.

He punishes people for all sorts of shit in the Bible. Why the sudden change in heart? The god described in the Bible is a fickle asshole and is not worthy of praise by anyone.

As well, God gave us free will. If he stopped/punished the conquistadors, why not stop everyone else?
Because he doesn't exist.

The reason he doesn't is because we are responsible for what we do here, not God. One someone kills someone you love, thats because that someone choose to do that with their free will, not because God wanted it to happen. I mean, if Jesus, the son of God/piece of God, got murdered, what makes you think he can control others to prevent it?
He's God, he can do whatever the fuck he wants, right? So I'm supposed to believe this mystical being I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE loves me and wants me to come to heaven? And yet does absolutely nothing to convince me he exists? And lets all the people out there suffer, but he still loves them? What is the fucking point of heaven? Why not just put us there in the FIRST place? Is Earth just some sick and twisted first-life experiment and all the rejects are sent to Hell to suffer eternally because we weren't good enough for him?

Real believable.

Last edited:
How can free will exist in a universe where an omnipotent and omniscient being created everyone and everything with full knowledge of what they would do once created?

(Note that I'm not saying there's free will in a universe without God, just that it also can't exist in one with such a God as proposed by the Bible.)

Is Earth just some sick and twisted first-life experiment and all the rejects are sent to Hell to suffer eternally because we weren't good enough for him?
As far as I can tell, that's pretty much it.

Of course there's also determinist belief systems like Calvinism where everything has been chosen so from birth god knows who's going to hell and who isn't but those always seemed even less fair to me.

The "but how can we have free will if God is omniscient?!" argument annoys me. It's free will in the sense that what you do (and what God therefore knows you'll do) is determined by your personality, memories, judgement, impulses and whatever else comes into it, with God not interfering. And if you're going to go "Well, but is it true free will if somebody knows beforehand what you're going to do?", that depends on how you define "free will", but the actual relevant definition of free will (i.e. the "free will" that answers the question "why does God allow people to do evil things?") is perfectly within that range.

Anyway, Eloi, the difference between "faith" that Jesus's teachings on the afterlife were right and "faith" that there are high-pitched noises you can't hear is that Jesus's word is literally all the evidence you have for the former. The core of science is that knowledge is gained through replicable experiments: if you're skeptical, you can ask them how they found that out and do the experiment yourself to verify it. And if you're skeptical of the validity of the measuring instruments used to do the experiment, you can take them apart and examine exactly how they work. And if you're skeptical of the physical principles which the machines exploit, you can verify those, too. The only reason we ever take somebody else's word for it in science is as a shortcut because you can't be bothered to do all that. Technically they could be mistaken or lying, but you can usually find other people independently saying the same thing, and you can look up the people who actually did the experiments and ask them... eventually it comes down to either the scientific results being true or science being a massive global conspiracy against you or we are all living in the Matrix and nothing is real. The latter two are theoretically possible, yes, but massively unlikely.

Jesus's teachings on the afterlife, on the other hand, have nothing to stand on. They exist in a void; you can't verify any part of them through experiment. Jesus could be right about everything and a whole realm of things undetected and undetectable by physics could have been existing right under our noses all along, or he could have hallucinated, or he could have experienced some natural phenomena and misinterpreted them, or his ideas about the afterlife were simply what he thought it ought to be like, or he knew it to be false but was just really passionate to make the world a better place by trying to get people to believe in forgiveness and love, or any of a million other explanations much simpler and more likely from an objective standpoint than all the complex, unfalsifiable claims he made being true. It could technically be true, sure, but it posits such a multitude of complex and extraneous additions to our worldview that Occam's razor plainly tells us to discard it.

Can you provide specific examples? From my research, they sync up pretty well, and each one adds different, but non-contradictory, information.

Umm... one example? How about the sign over Jesus?

Mt. 27:37,
And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Mk. 15:26,
And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Lk. 23:38,
And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Jn. 19:19
And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

One could argue that this doesn't matter, that they're almost the same... but, alas, this is the very definition of a "contradiction". It's obvious the sign couldn't have said all four things.

Splitting hairs, splitting haiiiiirs...

There is absolutely no reason to think these four guys should all have remembered the exact inscription word for word. The actual meaning behind it is the same in every case. Find a better contradiction. :/

Umm... one example? How about the sign over Jesus?

Mt. 27:37,
And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Mk. 15:26,
And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Lk. 23:38,
And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Jn. 19:19
And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

One could argue that this doesn't matter, that they're almost the same... but, alas, this is the very definition of a "contradiction". It's obvious the sign couldn't have said all four things.

Well in Lk 23:28 it said there was three different inscriptions which can lead to this conclusion:
THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS (Hebrew?)
JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF JEWS (Latin?)
THIS IS JESUS, THE KING OF THE JEWS (Greek?)
THE KING OF JEWS (shortening/summary of above transcriptions)
And perhaps each author couldn't read the other language it was inscribed in, and only transcribed what language they spoke?

-----
I...really don't want to argue with you Butterfree. I mean...you're Butterfree...but um...oh well, it wouldn't be fair to you not to debate so...here we are:

Anyway, Eloi, the difference between "faith" that Jesus's teachings on the afterlife were right and "faith" that there are high-pitched noises you can't hear is that Jesus's word is literally all the evidence you have for the former. The core of science is that knowledge is gained through replicable experiments: if you're skeptical, you can ask them how they found that out and do the experiment yourself to verify it. And if you're skeptical of the validity of the measuring instruments used to do the experiment, you can take them apart and examine exactly how they work. And if you're skeptical of the physical principles which the machines exploit, you can verify those, too. The only reason we ever take somebody else's word for it in science is as a shortcut because you can't be bothered to do all that. Technically they could be mistaken or lying, but you can usually find other people independently saying the same thing, and you can look up the people who actually did the experiments and ask them... eventually it comes down to either the scientific results being true or science being a massive global conspiracy against you or we are all living in the Matrix and nothing is real. The latter two are theoretically possible, yes, but massively unlikely.
Or our perception of the world as humans limits the knowledge we can obtain? Really, in order to allow an experiment to be observable to be replicated, it has to fit in with what the majority of human minds can perceive. And who knows what we could possibly be blind to?

Jesus's teachings on the afterlife, on the other hand, have nothing to stand on. They exist in a void; you can't verify any part of them through experiment. Jesus could be right about everything and a whole realm of things undetected and undetectable by physics could have been existing right under our noses all along, or he could have hallucinated, or he could have experienced some natural phenomena and misinterpreted them, or his ideas about the afterlife were simply what he thought it ought to be like, or he knew it to be false but was just really passionate to make the world a better place by trying to get people to believe in forgiveness and love, or any of a million other explanations much simpler and more likely from an objective standpoint than all the complex, unfalsifiable claims he made being true. It could technically be true, sure, but it posits such a multitude of complex and extraneous additions to our worldview that Occam's razor plainly tells us to discard it.
But we already know by physics that there is whole other realms that exist along with our own, we just lack the ability to perceive or interact with them. If human beings in history could have the ability to interact with them, or that universe's attempted interaction with us, why not examine it throughly as a natural occurrance* in history instead of just "wrong" for no real good reason? Really, with the multitude of universes in the multi-verse defined by quantum physics, why couldn't the possibility of one of these many universes interacting with ours somehow be at least possible in human history?

*Spelling I know is not correct. Not really sure how to fix it, tho'.

Or our perception of the world as humans limits the knowledge we can obtain? Really, in order to allow an experiment to be observable to be replicated, it has to fit in with what the majority of human minds can perceive. And who knows what we could possibly be blind to?

You've still not answered the main question here. It's true, there could be many things beyond our perception. But why would we assume this? There is absolutely no reason to think such things exist. This is like me saying "unicorns don't exist" and you replying "well, they could exist if they were very rare and lived in very isolated places!". Sure. That's true. But why on Earth would you find that more likely than the very simple, obvious alternative "unicorns do not exist"?

But we already know by physics that there is whole other realms that exist along with our own, we just lack the ability to perceive or interact with them.

No, we don't. Most of theoretical physics has very little evidence behind it.

You're dodging the point, which was that postulating extraneous, complex and unfalsifiable things is illogical. High-pitched noises you can't hear actually existing is the simplest, most logical explanation for the evidence you can gather from observations of the world; how many more complex explanations you can think of is irrelevant. Jesus being correct, on the other hand, is not the simplest, most logical explanation for the evidence you can gather from observations of the world; the only evidence for it is "Jesus said so", and there are a million things well within common human experience that can explain why Jesus said so that are far more simple and logical than "Jesus was right".

But we already know by physics that there is whole other realms that exist along with our own, we just lack the ability to perceive or interact with them. If human beings in history could have the ability to interact with them, or that universe's attempted interaction with us, why not examine it throughly as a natural occurrance* in history instead of just "wrong" for no real good reason? Really, with the multitude of universes in the multi-verse defined by quantum physics, why couldn't the possibility of one of these many universes interacting with ours somehow be at least possible in human history?
That is not what the quantum many-worlds theory means. Not even close.

Furthermore, even if we assume the existence of a more literal multiverse in the sense that would allow some sort of a "spiritual universe" to exist, death being some sort of a mystical event that can interact undetectably with other universes while no other physical process can is probably the most unnecessarily complex thing you could possibly postulate about it. This is a conjunction fallacy: "Death is your body ceasing to function and a mystical hole between universes opening to let this undetectable thing called a soul through into a special universe of souls" cannot, by the very laws of logic, be more or even as likely as just "Death is your body ceasing to function".

Last edited:
You've still not answered the main question here. It's true, there could be many things beyond our perception. But why would we assume this? There is absolutely no reason to think such things exist. This is like me saying "unicorns don't exist" and you replying "well, they could exist if they were very rare and lived in very isolated places!". Sure. That's true. But why on Earth would you find that more likely than the very simple, obvious alternative "unicorns do not exist"?
Its simple and obvious, but it doesn't make it true.

No, we don't. Most of theoretical physics has very little evidence behind it.
Poppycock.

You're dodging the point, which was that postulating extraneous, complex and unfalsifiable things is illogical. High-pitched noises you can't hear actually existing is the simplest, most logical explanation for the evidence you can gather from observations of the world; how many more complex explanations you can think of is irrelevant. Jesus being correct, on the other hand, is not the simplest, most logical explanation for the evidence you can gather from observations of the world; the only evidence for it is "Jesus said so", and there are a million things well within common human experience that can explain why Jesus said so that are far more simple and logical than "Jesus was right".

I just believe a particular person was honest about his account, and that account was correct. And from that, a lot follows. I take this similar faith when I read an autobiography from a historical figure in ancient times. I have to believe thats the way things are because there is no other thing to go on.

That is not what the quantum many-worlds theory means. Not even close.
Sorry Butterfree. I thought it was, but I guess I'm wrong.

Furthermore, even if we assume the existence of a more literal multiverse in the sense that would allow some sort of a "spiritual universe" to exist, death being some sort of a mystical event that can interact undetectably with other universes while no other physical process can is probably the most unnecessarily complex thing you could possibly postulate about it. This is a conjunction fallacy: "Death is your body ceasing to function and a mystical hole between universes opening to let this undetectable thing called a soul through into a special universe of souls" cannot, by the very laws of logic, be more or even as likely as just "Death is your body ceasing to function".
You are correct, that does sound silly when phrased that way. You can make strawmen of any thing that way. "The sun isn't a golden disk in the sky that gives warmth that revolves around the Earth in the sky, which is the simple and obvious solution, actually, its a gigantic thing that burns waaay hotter than anything here, is a really, really far away, is somehow perfect for keeping us warm without killing us all, and it flying in the sky like that is just an "illusion" because the Earth spins around in space cuz an invisible mystical forces make it spin around heavier things, and not somehow get sucked in 'em. Anyway, this mystical force spins Earth around the sun thing, and actually, everything is spinning around everything. OH! And all of those little blips in the sky are actually gigantic really, really, really hot things that spin with invisible mystical forces, but because light travels slow (yeah, light has speed now) its actually the gigantic glowly fiery things that were there a long time ago!"

All of that is basic science, but sounds really silly when phrased that way. The multi-verse is a complex thing, and discounting things just because they sound too complicated is not scientific at all.

Poppycock.
Explain. You can't just call bullshit on something without explaining yourself. I'd really like to see this evidence because as far as I know, there is nothing convincing.

I just believe a particular person was honest about his account, and that account was correct. And from that, a lot follows. I take this similar faith when I read an autobiography from a historical figure in ancient times. I have to believe thats the way things are because there is no other thing to go on.
Biographies cite sources. The Bible cites nothing.

You are correct, that does sound silly when phrased that way. You can make strawmen of any thing that way. "The sun isn't a golden disk in the sky that gives warmth that revolves around the Earth in the sky, which is the simple and obvious solution, actually, its a gigantic thing that burns waaay hotter than anything here, is a really, really far away, is somehow perfect for keeping us warm without killing us all, and it flying in the sky like that is just an "illusion" because the Earth spins around in space cuz an invisible mystical forces make it spin around heavier things, and not somehow get sucked in 'em. Anyway, this mystical force spins Earth around the sun thing, and actually, everything is spinning around everything. OH! And all of those little blips in the sky are actually gigantic really, really, really hot things that spin with invisible mystical forces, but because light travels slow (yeah, light has speed now) its actually the gigantic glowly fiery things that were there a long time ago!"

All of that is basic science, but sounds really silly when phrased that way. The multi-verse is a complex thing, and discounting things just because they sound too complicated is not scientific at all.
I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say here. You know we (as humankind) have physically been outside the Earth's atmosphere? There is actual evidence as to why your example is "silly but true".

You're still ignoring my question! Why is your complicated answer more likely than my simple one? There is no reason to ignore the simple answer and move on to the complicated one before the simple answer has been shown to be wrong.

Poppycock.

You'd be surprised. String theory, for one, is more or less untestable.

It is indeed possible to make a strawman out of everything, as you have just marvelously demonstrated. Here's why you're wrong. We have clear observational evidence which shows that the answer which seems, at first, the most obvious is not actually correct. For example, we know the sun is actually millions of kilometres from Earth because our spacecraft have travelled much of that distance.

On the other hand, we have absolutely no evidence to suggest that the proposition "death is your body ceasing to function" is false. Until such evidence is discovered, there is absolutely no reason to assume that death is actually a conduit to another universe.

You're still ignoring my question! Why is your complicated answer more likely than my simple one? There is no reason to ignore the simple answer and move on to the complicated one before the simple answer has been shown to be wrong.
I think you have abstracted the argument to the point that I can't recognize it. We don't have a simple explanation for what the subjective experience of death is, the complex one is the only one we have that defines what the subjective experience of death is.

You'd be surprised. String theory, for one, is more or less untestable.
But the perimeters of it are untestable, its not failing as a theory in that regard.
It is indeed possible to make a strawman out of everything, as you have just marvelously demonstrated
Thank you.

Here's why you're wrong. We have clear observational evidence which shows that the answer which seems, at first, the most obvious is not actually correct. For example, we know the sun is actually millions of kilometres from Earth because our spacecraft have travelled much of that distance.

On the other hand, we have absolutely no evidence to suggest that the proposition "death is your body ceasing to function" is false. Until such evidence is discovered, there is absolutely no reason to assume that death is actually a conduit to another universe.
Well, if something happens in your subjective experience after your body ceases to function that involves conduits to another universe, it does not contradict what we already know. "Your body ceases to function upon death" is acknowledged by both parties, just what happens in your subjective experience varies, or rather, one defines what happens (soul side) and the other doesn't (anti-soul side)/

It doesn't make it true, but it does mean that it's the only reasonable position you can take, in the absence of new compelling evidence to think otherwise. Unicorns could theoretically exist, but only if we postulate very special circumstances, and those very special circumstances by their very nature make that extremely unlikely, to the point that any sane person should ignore the possibility.

But my point is that it is overwhelmingly more likely that there is some other explanation for Jesus claiming those things than those things actually being true. Why, then, would you "just believe" that the account is accurate? Ancient autobiographies should also be taken with a grain of salt if they postulate something extremely unlikely that there is no other evidence for, for that matter.

*sigh*

There is a difference between sounding complicated and being complicated. The universe according to science is extremely simple: it is governed by universal, logical laws, and everything in it can be described with mathematical equations. You can make science sound as silly as you want, but if you then interrogate about the evidence behind these claims, you will find that everything - absolutely everything - fits beautifully together into a marvelously simple whole. The sun being a golden disc that revolves around the earth, on the other hand, is not supported by evidence and, as it turns out when you examine the facts, in fact contradicts it. It is demonstrably false. Same with everything else you mentioned.

Now, Jesus's account is not demonstrably false, but that's because it is unfalsifiable: it posits things that are by definition beyond the realm of physical evidence. As this makes it impossible to have direct evidence for its truth or falsehood, all we have to go on to judge its likelihood is a critical examination of what claims it makes about the world. And when you have no actual evidence to support it, how can you possibly suggest that the existence of a whole bunch of exceptions to all the otherwise universal physical laws we know is simpler and more likely than the alternative theory that is simply that the world is exactly as our current knowledge of it seems to suggest it should be?

EDIT: Oh, look, ninjas.

Well, if something happens in your subjective experience after your body ceases to function that involves conduits to another universe, it does not contradict what we already know. "Your body ceases to function upon death" is acknowledged by both parties, just what happens in your subjective experience varies, or rather, one defines what happens (soul side) and the other doesn't (anti-soul side)/
The only reason it doesn't contradict what we already know is that it's unfalsifiable! All you're proving is that it is theoretically possible that our souls go on to another universe - however, leprechauns and the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Harry Potter being real are all also theoretically possible. Being theoretically possible is not a reason to believe anything - you should believe what actually seems, when analyzed objectively, to be the most likely answer.

The subjective experience posited by the "anti-soul side" is that your subjective experience simply stops, after maybe hallucinating light at the end of a tunnel or seeing your life flash before your eyes. This would rhyme perfectly with everything we know about the universe. Why, other than wishful thinking, would you actively believe this to be less likely than spiritual universes and souls and whatnot?

Last edited:
I think you have abstracted the argument to the point that I can't recognize it. We don't have a simple explanation for what the subjective experience of death is, the complex one is the only one we have that defines what the subjective experience of death is.

It's quite simple. You have proposed one hypothesis: "Jesus was honest and correct." I have proposed a different hypothesis: "Jesus was incorrect". Yours is more complicated because it assumes the existence of any number of things for which we have no evidence. Mine is less complicated because all it assumes is a reason for Jesus being incorrect, and Butterfree gave plenty such plausible reasons.

So, that said, why is yours likelier than mine?

But the perimeters of it are untestable, its not failing as a theory in that regard.

It depends on who you ask, but there are plenty of people who will tell you string theory isn't a theory because it isn't falsifiable.

Butterfree seems to have the rest in hand, I'll leave it to her.

Back
Top Bottom