• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Timeless Oasis

Koa walked up to it, then paced around it. "Someone other than Sybil can take it, I guess? But it seems like it won't make a difference," he added, glancing around.

You shouldn't touch it.

And there it was: the fabled... thing. The magic-maybe something rock. Definitely a rock. The plants around it looked particularly perky, but there wasn't much else of note around here. No weird timey-wimey whatever, no monsters jumping out to guard it, no past or future thems running around making things mildly uncomfortable.

Well, she'd said she'd pick it up, yeah? So she picked it up. The tip of Leaf's horn flickered and, assuming no one stopped her and it wasn't nailed to the floor or anything, the stone drifted up into the air.

It was... still a rock! Pretty rock, sure, but so far it didn't seem like much was happening. Kind of a relief, honestly? Felt kinda nice to have a moment of hopefully-nothing after listening to all that theorizing. Just checking out a fancy rock, and maybe Sybil could figure out something useful to do with it later.

"What d'you think now?" She lifted it high enough so everyone could get a clear look. "This thing ring any bells for anyone?"

Nova decided to keep going with his plan of doing different things. He sniffed at some of the grass, then tried to dig up a small divot to carry with him.

Steven kept an eye out for the strange stone as they moved through the shifting forest. It was fortunate they got such a clear view of the object from their other selves, it made it easier to search through the constantly changing greenery around them. But then, in a small clearing, it was there. Just like that. Like it was almost too easy.

There was something almost anticlimactic about it, sitting on a mossy rock and not some kind of ornate pedestal. It felt important, yet unassuming.

He wanted nothing more than to pick it up and examine it. But something else said it wasn't his place to disturb it so hastily.

"Wait," Steven held out a cautionary claw. "Maybe we shouldn't--"

Leaf neatly plucked the stone from its humble pedestal. "--touch it."

So much for that, but then again, their other selves had picked the stone up as well, so maybe it was fine? Nothing seemed to have happened in their time. Or, whoever's time it was, given how odd this dungeon was.

Well, as long as the path of caution was off the table... He floated up closer to Leaf, peering curiously up at the object to get a better look at it, claw to his chin.

"Hmm, the only thing familiar about this is the fact that we saw it earlier. But I'm not sure that helps us much."

Mhynt eyed it cautiously. "The Dungeon willingly let us have this," she remarked. "...Do you suppose it will tell us if we are not to disturb it or otherwise move it? If the Dungeon wants to give us suggestions again..." She looked around. "We can at least determine its will."

She checked for her 'future.' Were they carrying the stone?

Steven would find that the stone appeared designed to slot into something, like it a puzzle piece and it certainly wasn't the rock Leaf pulled it from as it lacked any such divot on its surface.

Mhynt on the other hand would not find the Wayfarer's apparent future selves no matter where she looked. It seemed that the only sign that the dungeon chose to provide was that initial glimpse, especially now in the stone's stabilizing radius.

"I wonder," Sybil hummed, stepping forwards, silently asking Leaf is she could take it. "If it's some kind of anchor point to keep time stable, so everything flows normally within its vicinity."

"Hmmm." Mhynt looked around. "That could be useful. If the Dungeon is deliberately giving this to us, perhaps it's a sign that it trusts us to navigate it to places it normally would not show... Hmph. Perhaps I was too hard on the Dungeon. I won't ignore a gift."

As soon as he laid eyes on it, Wes felt an inexplicable sense of…longing. Something stirred within him, made him want to stand close or to even touch the stone, but he didn’t dare. He couldn’t explain it, but seeing it and being so close to it just felt…right, somehow.

As soon as Sybil spoke, Wes blinked and looked around. The stone did seem to have some kind of stabilizing effect surrounding it, and he couldn’t see any past or future versions of themselves. “Maybe this is means the dungeon is…helping us. Giving us the stone so we don’t get lost or confused.”

Leaf paused as Sybil motioned for the stone. Would handing it over now count as the same thing as they'd seen before? Did it matter, if the stone was supposed to stop all that looping nonsense from happening?

"Hm... d'you mind if I hang onto it for a little longer, just in case?" Mhynt wasn't as bothered any more, at least, not sure about Nova or the others, but by now Leaf was pretty much just curious. What would happen if they kept things different from previous-future-them? (Also it was just... nice to hold, honestly. Hard to say why. Not like she was a plant or anything. Felt almost like it was helping her ignore the headaches from all the timey-wimey talk.)

If Sybil really insisted, though, she'd hand over the stone. In the meantime, she scanned the area around them. Without any maybe-future-guys to follow or not follow, they were gonna have to figure out where to go next on their own.

"I'm fine with it. I have my grass."

Nova had scooped out a divot and was balancing it precariously on his beak.

Being so close to the stone, it was the most stable Steven had felt since entering the dungeon. Which was a strange thought to entertain, but the lingering nausea seemed to fade in its presence.

He examined it as closely as he dared. "I think we should hang onto it for the time being," he announced. "I get the sense that we need to bring it somewhere else in the dungeon."

When he finished his examination, he backed away from Leaf to give her some space and drew his claw back to his chin.

"I wonder if this stone acts almost like a key. Or maybe a decoder. Notice how time feels like it's flowing normally here? It's possible that the erratic flow of time in the dungeon is a defense mechanism, and that only the holders of this key might be able to traverse the dungeon without becoming lost to the multitude of time streams within."

"If we were shown an image of ourselves with the key in another timeline, perhaps it's the dungeon's way of allowing us to enter."

He glanced towards Sybil. "Maybe the dungeon already tested us the very moment we set foot inside. It would be up to us to decide if we had the necessary belief in ourselves to continue."

"Well, if there's no objections, we should continue," Sybil said, incredibly pleased with the ongoing theory-crafting.

With the stone in tow, the dungeon's odd effects appeared to be neutralised, allowing for a safe, straightforward passage. The path looped back around to where the group had seen their future selves. "Look, there was the place where we saw ourselves with Leaf carrying the stone," Sybil whispered to the Wayfarers, gesturing with her head. Everyone found themselves a fair distance away from that point as what had been clearing was now densely forested, thick underbrush denying passage. Sybil stopped to look, seemingly entertained, wondering if they would see their past selves if they decided to drop the stone.

It was however in their best interest to continue, so Sybil moved on ahead, stopping just before another clearing.

Everything here was still and silent. The wind did not blow nor did the branches sway; leaves were frozen mid-fall and trying to step on the grass would be met with a sharp spike of pain as it refused to bend beneath any weight. Any other attempt to disrupt the area would meet similar results and an odd heaviness. It was well and truly locked in time. The odd stone glowed slightly but even it was straining beneath the lock. Perhaps it would be able to protect one person while everyone else would be at the dungeon's mercy the moment they attempted to step through.

From the edge, just over the grass, the taller or levitating members of the group could see a flat stone with an indent that the stone appeared carved to fit into. Perhaps Steven had been right in his assertion that the stone was some kind of key. Just what would happen if they fitted the two together?

Even just being near the stone, the worst of the Dungeons headache inducing effects started to fade. Archie actually started to feel a little better, the growing lump in his stomach shrank a little, the stress lessened. It actually started to feel like maybe they would manage this!

At least, until they came upon the area if stopped time. The Oshawott probed the border of the frozen grass with his Razor Shell, but he couldn't even begin to cut it. So, away went the Scalchop again, so he could fold his arms and consider the problem before them.

Out of all of them, Steven probably had the best bet of getting past this. The Metang could float, after all! Archie hated to suggest he go by himself, but the only other option was for Steven to carry one of the smaller group members along with him. Of them, Ridley likely made the most sense, from a size and weight perspective, but... Steven had seemed kind of cold on him, last Archie had brought the Mimikyu up. That left Kimiko, Koa, or Archie himself as options.

"Steven?" He asked, looking over at the Metang, "What do you think? Do you want to try floating over there yourself, or...?"

"I'd go, but I don't think I could reach it myself," Kimiko added. Not that she couldn't reach the indented stone with her vines... but getting to it would be difficult. She'd watched Archie fail to even nick the time-frozen grass.

Still, she didn't like the implication... whoever brought the stone would remain in it's protective field, while everyone else would likely be frozen in time like the falling leaves. And there was nothing to necessarily prove that putting the stone in the indentation (assuming even that's what it was for) would free them, either. Willingly leaving herself vulnerable like that did not sit well with her... but, well, this wasn't the first time she'd had to prove herself to Celebi.

...Or so she felt. Time travel was a bitch.

Still, she couldn't watch out for everyone if she was immobilized. She'd be happy to tag along with Steven, but it he might be more comfortable with someone he knew. Or just by himself. It was his choice.

Mhynt watched skeptically, but for the time being, said nothing. This was curious... For now, she kept a close eye on anything abnormal while their protective charm struggled against the atmosphere.

"I wonder if we can test the protective field," Nova mumbled. "Like if we gave the stone to a larger member of the group and stack a bunch of you who are smaller on their back..."

Steven turned to Archie. "I could float over with the stone, but if we don't all stay close..."

He left the thought unfinished, but it was a simple exercise for the group to finish it for themselves. They'd needed to remain close to even get this far, and Sybil had warned them to not stray even before they found the strange relic.

Steven seemed hesitant, glancing from Leaf, to the stone, to the clearing frozen in time.

"We don't know what could happen when we place the stone. I... I think someone should come with me. I can carry one of you on my back. Probably not you Wes, or Nova." He gave the two of them an apologetic look. "Does anyone want to volunteer?"

"If you want to take someone with you, I could go," Ridley offered. "I'm the smallest here, so I'll be easiest to carry."

He didn't like the look of the way the stone seemed to be straining against whatever force kept this area locked in time. It could probably continue to shield one person, but could it handle two? Ridley didn't know whether size meant anything, but the stone's effect did seem to be limited by area, so if Steven wanted to take a second person along then the smallest member of their group was probably the safest bet.

Last edited:
“I’ll go,” Archie said, automatically, only for Ridley to speak up just a little bit before him.

The Oshawott glanced between the Mimikyu and the Metang. It wasn’t like he couldn’t see the benefit of Steven taking the small Cleffa clothed mimic over anyone else. About the only instance someone else might do better would be if the dungeon decided to throw a combat encounter their way, and it’d been all quiet on that front so far. Still, would the Metang be comfortable with that? His eyes settled on Steven again, waiting to see what he would say.

When Ridley spoke up, Steven looked his way with a small jolt of surprise. He'd been largely keeping his distance from the Mimikyu, but now that wasn't exactly an option.

He glanced between Ridley and Archie, who had also volunteered, a pleading look creeping across his expression.

Could Ridley depended upon? This wasn't a situation to take lightly. They were deep inside a dungeon, and a divine one at that. What if something happened, and the moment was too much for Ridley to contain his emotions? A training match had been too much before.

But maybe that's why Ridley volunteered. A way to make amends.

Not like Steven didn't need to make his own with the Mimikyu.

This wasn't the time for that, though. He rubbed his brow to banish the thought. Or... maybe it was. The time to show the trust between them could be repaired.

"That makes sense," he said, turning to Ridley and lowering himself for the Mimikyu to climb atop his head. "I want to be quick about this, for everyone's sake."

Steven couldn't help the nervousness that settled in his stomach. He couldn't let the team down again.

Back
Top Bottom