• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Timeless Oasis

Leaf watched the murkrow—murkrow singular, suddenly murkrow plural, okay, sure—take off and disappear elsewhere in the dungeon. She was kind of okay with this, honestly? A straight-up riddle was a lot less annoying than trying to confuse them with bad memories or metaphysics or whatever the hell all this was. It'd be even less annoying if she actually knew what the answer was, yeah, but she'd definitely take this instead of—

She flinched, just for a second, as Wes's shadowed shouting hit her again a new wolf lunging out of the dark, howling slashing tearing, but forced herself to shake it off. Just more voices. Just like Nova's voice shortly after that, though she did shoot a quick glance the chimera's way just to make sure he wasn't still second-guessing himself or anything. He seemed all right for now... but yeah, riddles were definitely way better than this.

Nothing for it but to keep moving, like Koa said. Deal with it when it was there to be dealt with. So she continued on, eyes out for any trees that looked like nests or fancy legendary things or like they were about to start mocking their old yearbook photos or whatever at this point.

"Well, they are birds," Sybil mused to Mhynt. "Perhaps it means that they found a place to nest within, although it is said that the dungeon's heart is a large tree standing in a pond of pure water at the river's beginning. Come on now."

With nothing else to do, the party continued down the path. The dungeon's effects grew stronger but it also seemed to create a path for the Wayfarers, seeming to think that the provided riddle would be enough for now. Soon, the rushing of water could be heard in the distance, cutting over the voices, silencing them. Sybil began to follow the source of the sound and before long, they were walking alongside the river that flowed in every direction. Several more turns later was a large pool, clear as crystal, from which the river began. The trees here grew from the water and were tall enough to graze the sky and, in the centre of this pool, was a tiny island that housed an even greater tree. Murkrow could be seen in its branches all watching the world below expectantly.

Much like the time locked clearing, this appeared to be another stable part of the dungeon. However, Archie and Koa would quickly be beset by a wave of nausea in spite of the serene atmosphere.

"Hm." Mhynt eyed the oasis, thoughtful. "...I'll have you know, I have a very enchanting singing voice. In that, I can enchant the surrounding flora to wither and die."

She bowed as if ushering someone else to try the 'sing' part of the riddle.

Finding the nesting tree went smoothly enough. Much like Sybil said, it was the largest tree, on an island, in the center of a large pond. Another Dungeon conquered, now all they had to do was solve this riddle, meet the Purifying Spirit, get cured of this Alex affliction, and remember to take a piece of the Heart out with them went they went. This should be a moment of triumph!

... So why did he feel like he was about to vomit? He tried to force it down, but every step got a little bit heavier, every movement brought on a little more nausea. One badly placed step caused him to stumble, and that nearly sent him over the brink. The Oshawott dry heaved, and covered his muzzle with a paw. He managed to fight it back down, but for the moment he could go no further. Instead, he remained doubled over, taking deep, slow breaths, hoping the feeling would pass soon. Why now, they were so close!

At some point in their walk, he decided to hop off Leaf to stretch his legs, though he thanked her again for the ride. He was growing sick of this dungeon. Just as he was beginning to feel like they might very well be stuck here for weeks, the path ahead opened up.

Relief came over Koa and he hurried forward. The instant he stepped into the clearing, he froze. He felt himself gritting his teeth, and saliva formed in his mouth as the world tilted slightly. A wave of nausea rolled through him and he grimaced. Wrinkling his nose, he forced a deep breath, fighting it back, glancing around to see how everyone else was coping-

They were fine. Nobody else seemed to be feeling it. His gaze leapt to Archie, a dull horror creeping down his spine and making the nausea worse. Only him and Archie felt it. Had his fears been right then? Were they... tainted? Swallowing, he edged closer to Archie. Was it the dungeon reacting or...

“Anyone who feels like singing be my guest,” Koa managed to call, glancing around the group hopefully. “Kimiko?” She could sing, right? But it wouldn’t matter if the dungeon wasn’t talking about literally singing. What else then? Distracting himself helped somewhat at least.

He called to the Murkrow, trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice. "What do you want?"

"Are you okay?" It was a stupid question, but the jolt of concern he'd felt at seeing Archie and Koa stumble meant that he'd blurted it out without thinking.

A quick glance around showed that everyone else was either unaffected or in possession of a spectacular poker face. Why were Archie and Koa the only ones affected? What did they have in common? They'd been the first to wield shadow energy, the ones to bring that power to the rest of the group, but that couldn't be it. If shadows had anything to do with it then Ridley should also be affected by whatever this was, and he felt fine.

"Do you think the quality of the singing matters? I'd give it a try, but my voice isn't great," Ridley confessed. "As for what lies invisible before us - that's the future, right? We need to talk about... our plans and our goals, I guess?" That much seemed clear to him, at least.

If each of them had to speak, then maybe each of them also had to sing. Still, he'd rather let someone who could actually carry a tune start them off, and only join in if necessary.

Steven followed along with the group in silence, watching the time of the forest shift as a cacophony of voices rained down on them. Some clear and distinct-- Wes, and then Nova-- others more muddled and vague. He couldn't keep the unease from creeping up his spine.

Even their Murkrow guide spoke to them in a jumbled tone strung together from their own words. The riddle caught him off guard, and when mixed with the shifting landscape, Steven found it hard to parse what it was asking. He certainly wasn't going to actually sing, so all there was to do was follow the Murkrow onward, deeper into the dungeon.

And then... A clearing and a tree. A tree that stood out from all the others in the forest, not because of its central location on an island by itself, but because it was so massive it held an almost regal presence. Steven stared at it in awe, finding it amazing that something like this could exist inside a dungeon that was hidden in the middle of a desert.

But movement in the corner of his eye made him turn in time to see Archie stumble to his knees with a frantic look on his face.

"Archie!" It was Steven's turn to call out to his friend. "What happened? Are you alright?"

He hurried to Archie's side, clearly wanting to reach out to help the Oshawott, but wasn't sure if that's what he'd want right now. Instead he settled for fanning his claws out to catch Archie if he were to collapse from whatever was ailing him. Whatever it was, it wasn't obvious, and that was almost more distressing than Archie's condition itself.

"Hang on, we're almost there," he said hurriedly, still hovering near the kneeling Oshawott, when he heard Ridley's musings about the riddle.

"Our future?" Steven brought a claw to his chin in thought. "It does make sense. It's invisible, since we can't see what's not happened yet. And it's in front of us, like the Murkrow's riddle suggests."

He glanced around the clearing, and once again at the island in the middle. "It's as good a guess as any," he said. "We should get to the center tree, then."

Steven turned his attention back to Archie. "Can you stand? I can give you a ride there if you'd like." He offered an arm out for Archie to climb aboard if he wanted.

"M'fine," Archie lied.

Was it just him feeling this way? He glanced around the group. Most everyone else seemed to be doing well... Until his eyes landed on Koa. The Electrike was doing his best to power through it, but it seemed to the Oshawott at least that he was struggling too. Did that mean it had something to do with what that Zweilous had done to them?

The thought made his blood run cold. All of a sudden Steven was there, arms held out in obvious concern. Would he hurt the Metang, if he remained close? He didn't want to risk it.

"Just feeling a little sick," he said, "I'll be okay."

He tried to stand up straight, over-commited, and nearly fell backwards onto his tail. Instead, he latched onto Steven's offered arm. So much for that. If he couldn't get away from the Metang, he had to convince Steven to back away from him. And before he knew it, the words were tumbling out of his mouth.

"Alex did something to us - to Koa and me," he said. "Mhynt knows it best. You shouldn't be near me. I don't want to hurt you."

Mhynt eyed Archie at first. It was hard to tell what she was thinking... She only had a pensive frown.

Then, she nodded. "If he did anything to you, and we don't see it now," Mhynt said, "you are... probably safe as long as he's not around. Don't isolate yourself too much." Her body language closed off somewhat. "...That's... how he gets you. Unintuitive, I know... but do not play into his games."

Nova approached the tree. While it wasn't singing lyrics, per se, he did manage a short little tune at it. Then Nova figured he'd follow everyone else's lead. The future, huh?

"The immediate future... is helping rid Blaguarro of shadows." Nova didn't want to get into the gritty details. Not after learning some of the team's plans were shared with a possible Gerome doppelganger. "After that... I'd say things are wide open. But that's a good thing." He fought off a mental image of the one imprisoning him back home. "A future of choices. Where fate isn't set in stone."

But that wasn't entirely true, was it? After all, Betel had made their eventual future on Forlas clear enough. Maybe the others had their own reasons for not thinking about it. Yet Nova wondered if that was what could open the dungeon's heart to them.

"The future... will be leaving Forlas. Going home and remembering none of it." Nova lowered his head. "Going back to being a shadow pokémon. Forced to serve a human with dreams of collapsing all of these universes into a single, perfect world."

He straightened up, fanning out his head crest. "But the future isn't about that destination. It's... about the journey to get there. That's the whole reason we're here. To try and help those who might not be able to help themselves."

Nova glimpsed his reflection in the water. "To make tomorrow... just a little better than today."

Wes went rigid at the sound of his own voice booming around them. It was one thing to have the memory of it, and another to hear it repeated back at him. He sounded…terrifying. Enraged beyond rational thought. Insane.

Shame threatened to burn him from the inside out. Curling his lip in a snarl, he snapped at the damn birds around them, staring down as if taunting them all. “What the hell do you want, you scorching bastards?” he barked.

He forced himself to take another deep and steadying breath. He would not let this dungeon get the better of him. He would not fall apart, not here, not in front of everyone. Godsdammit.

“You know, not being able to do something on your own, doesn’t make you useless,” he said, trying to keep quiet enough that only the Lycanroc could hear, “Remember, you’ve got all of us here to help you, and back home you’ve got your Pokemon, and your friend, too. Nothing wrong with relying on the people around you.”

Wes blinked, then nodded at Archie, feeling a tiny glimmer of reassurance. Even after everything, he was still here. Somehow. For some crazy, braindead reason that was beyond him. “Thanks,” he murmured. Even if Wes wasn’t sure he could allow himself to believe that yet…it was nice that Archie still cared. Still lent his support, despite having no obligation to do so.

But then the Oshawott grimaced and stumbled away, muttering something about Alexander and staying away. Wes frowned, confused at first, then his expression deepened into a scowl.

“Bullshit,” he growled at Archie. He took a step toward him. “If I’m not allowed to isolate myself, then you aren’t either. I’d bet my hide that that’s exactly what that Alexander bastard wants.”

The trees here grew from the water and were tall enough to graze the sky and, in the centre of this pool, was a tiny island that housed an even greater tree.

Pool of water: check. Large tree: check. Dozens of murkrow in the tree: check.

"Well, looks like those rumors you heard were true," Kimiko said quietly to Sybil. This certainly looked like how she'd described the dungeon's heart. "Now what?"

That answer came in the form of Koa calling her name, suggesting she go sing to the tree. It couldn't be that literal, could it? She turned to him, only to find him looking out of it; Archie, too, appeared ill, but Steven was tending to him. Kimiko drifted to Koa's side, patting his shoulder with a vine. "You don't look good, you alright?" she asked. Silly question, but she wasn't sure what else to say here.

Koa and Archie... they were the two that brought the shadow corruption, and they appeared to be the only two affected out of the whole party. Was that related to this?

She turned back to the tree with the murkrow in it, while Ridley mused about the riddle. "I'm not sure talking about our future plans in front of these birds is a smart idea. Think we could shoo them away somehow?"

Leaf would've wondered if most dungeons had some kinda tree at their heart, given what Silver Ravine had been like, but the sudden retching sounds that hit her ears made that a thought a little hard to focus on. Archie sounded bad, Koa was stumbling—what was going on? Still seemed like the same fresh air and everything to her... this couldn't still be related to those stupid voices, couldn't? Kimiko and Nova and even Wes seemed fine, aside from more goddamn shouting. And Sybil, although the thing she'd said hadn't even been angry or upsetting. (What was up with that?)

"You sure you're okay?" she asked Koa, worried. "If you're still tired maybe you should get back on. At least until we're away from here, yeah? And," she added after Archie tried and failed to beg them to go away, "don't give me any of that 'don't get close' crap, either. No one's leaving anyone anywhere."

Nova was speaking up now. Leaf flinched at the resigned way he talked about going home, but... still wasn't spiraling back down, that was good. Seemed busy with waiting for the tree's response, but she gave the graydian a smile just in case. Hopefully he'd keep it that way. Maybe even long enough that they could figure out something to do about it. (Was that something this Purifying Spirit could help with? Maybe? Probably not, but...)

As they waded through the water, their reflections shifted to show their past selves, unevolved and disoriented from their first arrival, to their futures, fully evolved, expressions bearing confidence in what was to come. The closer Archie and Koa got to the tree, the less comfortable they felt, something was emanating from that tree and it seemed to be reacting to their auras poorly.

The murkrow said nothing, continuing to eye the Wayfarers down below but once Nova had started to sing the tune and had answered the riddle alongside Ridley, they all flew away with a start. The tree slowly began to unwind and shrink as it flew back through its own personal timestream until it was nothing more than a sapling and hovering above it was...

A relic that looked like a completed version of the odd stone they encountered near the beginning of the dungeon, glowing ever so faintly. Though the sight was serene, an undeniable sadness fell over Sybil. "So the Spirit really is gone," she said quietly. "Only its Relic remains. Oh, how sorry I am I couldn't come sooner."

"Ugh, took you guys long enough," said a voice behind them.

"I thought I would be stuck in here foreverrrrrrrrrr," groaned another.

"Now, now ladies," interjected a third, far more flamboyant, voice. "These sweet little darlings were kind enough to retrieve this nifty little doohickey for us. Oh, I could just dance in excitement!"

A quaquaval wearing shades, a yellow scarf and a ridiculously large afro stood behind the Wayfarers. Besides him were a goggle-wearing zangoose and seviper, who looked a hair-trigger away from tearing each other apart.

"Now, you will stand aside and let us take it, won't you?" asked the quaquaval.

"That's it. I quit. I'm going to my trailer."

Nova's hackles raised at the unfamiliar voices. He spun around and sized up the newcomers. Given his earlier thoughts before talking to the damn tree about a possible information leak, he had only one guess with this latest development.

"Ah, sorry." He clicked his tongue. "My services have a very strict flamboyance limit. You exceeded it the moment you opened your dumb beak. Though I hear there's a pack of impidimp in the badlands you'd fit right in with. Maybe they'll listen to you?"

Last edited:
"'M fine... I'll be okay," he mumbled to Leaf. "Thanks though." The last thing he wanted was to throw up all over Leaf's back.

One step in front of the other, through the water. Koa fought back the awful sensation of wrongness and sickness that only grew worse and worse. His stomach heaved and he sucked in a sharp breath.

He saw shapes in the water but he couldn't bring himself to care. It was only one future anyway, and he hadn't evolved.

And then in a moment, it was done. Was that it? It was really just that easy, speak something about the future and they were set?

At Sybil's words his heart lurched. "Gone? But-" He was interrupted by voices, this time not one of their group.

Turning around, he spotted... Koa blinked. What? His hackles rose and he growled. Everything about these guys made him annoyed. As if they would hand anything over. "Get. Lost."

Kimiko got so concerned with Archie and Koa that she missed Nova going and singing to the tree in her place. A bit of a shame; she'd have liked to, had she known what to sing. Turns out it didn't matter though; Nova's hum was enough, and that's all that mattered.

Until new voices from behind made her spun around.

Had they been followed? Or had these three been trapped in the time distortions somehow, and been freed by... whatever puzzle they'd just solved?

Doesn't matter. They reeked of trouble, and their words only confirmed it.

"Sorry, but who are you clowns? This 'little doohicky', as you put it, belongs to Celebi. Do you even know what it is?"

What. In the scorching. Hells.

Wes stared blankly at their new visitors. Of course, being Pokémon, he wouldn’t have recognized them on principle alone, but there was no mistaking or forgetting that gods-awful afro—no matter how badly he wanted to—let alone that obnoxious, lilting voice that made his skin crawl. He let out a sound that was somewhere between a laugh of disbelief and a growl.

“You’ve got to be joking. Of all the damn people. Why the hell are you assholes here?”

He had a very bad feeling that he already knew the answer.

Back
Top Bottom