• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Torchwood: Children of Earth

Bombsii

IM ON THE ROAD ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITYYYY~
Anyone else watching this week?

I personally am obssessed with Torchwood. Here in England, the format is that all five episodes of the story run within a week and we are currently on the second part on tuesday. Wondering if anyone else gets it in a different way.

So what do all of you people think of it so far?

I missed the first part as well but caught up with the magical power of the iplayer. Thank god i'm British.

...I think I may have died from the awesome.

Seriously. o_o Yesterday wasn't even amazing in a 'for Torchwood' way or in a guilty pleasure way, it was FANTASTIC. I've read around from reviews and the next two episodes aren't as explosive, which is understandable, but of course I still think they'll be awesome. XD

I was worried the Jack/Ianto might be a bit annoying last night as well, near the beginning I had a thought it might be, but it was less slash and more actual relationship between two men, and... oh god. It was just amazing.

Seriously, if anybody hasn't watched it, WATCH ITTT~ <3
Only two hours and a half until the second! The good thing about having annual favourite shows is that I get SUPER excited when it's actually the time for them. XD

Anyone seen this quick teaser? Looks scary...Even if the next two episodes aren't going to be as dynamic they sure look amazing.

Last edited:
FUCK.

I watched both episodes tonight because yesterday they were dissecting a whale on Channel Four. :P

And wow. I'm not kidding. This is a return to form. This is Empty Child standard. This is terrifying.

I mean it's just bloody awesome on so many levels. It sets up predictable plots and then shoots them in the back (literally, in some cases). It's weird. It's self-referential. It's genre-savvy.

Hell, even the loss of Owen and Tosh was excusable. It's that good. And also, Peter Capaldi is awesomesauce. It's like he was born to do angry Scottish politicians.

...no. NO. RTD, RTD, RTD? BRING. HIM. BACK.

@______@ I've never cried so much for a fictional character before. And then it started all over again an hour later because I realised there's actually very little chance he'll come back.

Noooo the episode was going so well before you RUINED it with this totally unnecessary killing off. I'm not just saying that because I love Jack/Ianto to pieces, I'm saying it because RTD, this was a bad idea. :/ Most people enjoy Torchwood so much more because of Jack/Ianto. Without it the show is... just... gahhhh I dunno. It was wonderfully scripted and just starting to get good and properly relationshippy. The line '...he is very handsome. Now stop it.' is supposed to make me squee like heck, not start bawling. >_>

I didn't even cry this much at Owen and Tosh, because at least that was a good idea plot-wise, if completely heartbreaking. D=

Um, yeah. Other than that, pretty good so far. DX

...no. NO. RTD, RTD, RTD? BRING. HIM. BACK.

@______@ I've never cried so much for a fictional character before. And then it started all over again an hour later because I realised there's actually very little chance he'll come back.

Noooo the episode was going so well before you RUINED it with this totally unnecessary killing off. I'm not just saying that because I love Jack/Ianto to pieces, I'm saying it because RTD, this was a bad idea. :/ Most people enjoy Torchwood so much more because of Jack/Ianto. Without it the show is... just... gahhhh I dunno. It was wonderfully scripted and just starting to get good and properly relationshippy. The line '...he is very handsome. Now stop it.' is supposed to make me squee like heck, not start bawling. >_>

I didn't even cry this much at Owen and Tosh, because at least that was a good idea plot-wise, if completely heartbreaking. D=

Um, yeah. Other than that, pretty good so far. DX

Well, the actors can't stay on forever. If the actor wanted to leave, then RTD had to write them out of the plot. To be honest, it was a pretty good way of doing it. At least it didn't happen like Tosh's death...

But screenwriters can't just go on who wants to leave and who doesn't want to leave. I'm sure between Owen and Tosh's actors, one of them wouldn't minded have staying, we don't really know.

Personally I think it was a terrible way of doing it. :/ It didn't make much sense plot-wise at all, I don't think. It was pretty unnecessary. And I don't think RTD realises just how much of the fanbase he has pissed off--if there's going to be another series after this, there won't be as many viewers, that's for sure.

EDIT: ...DX
Yeah. The last episode was probably one of the most upsetting and disturbing things I've ever seen. Genius ideas, but horrifying ideas.

Last edited:
Ianto's death was sad (hell, even I cried a bit), but I think there's a certain poignancy to it. Think about it; originally, Torchwood was a vast organisation on par with the Secret Services. Then, after the events of Cybermen vs. Daleks, it was reduced to five guys in Cardiff, and then down to three after the end of series two. Now, it's just two people. It's a tragic downwards spiral, and the perfect end to the Torchwood franchise (assuming that the producers do the decent thing and end the series after this - a new series with a totally new cast would just feel tacky).

Still haven't seen episode five because I was dragged off on holiday. Gonna catch up on it now.

Yeah. I was really only angry/disapproving of the Ianto situation because I truly thought it would just be simple character deaths like Tosh and Owen--Torchwood went on without them, for this third series.

If there isn't going to be a fourth series, then I must agree. I think. I also like how Torchwood started with Jack and Gwen as a sort of 'special team', and also were the first prominent characters, and then it ended that way, with them parting ways.

I'm really hoping there isn't going to be any more Torchwood, because as good as the viewer stats were, and how much I loved this series and it as a whole, it was a perfect ending. That's the only way I'll really like the ending of this series.

But eh, whatever happens, it was still the best Torchwood has ever churned out. And I think this series is also better than anything I've seen from Doctor Who, but then I'm not a massive DW fan anyway.

Although I absolutely adore Ianto I think it was great timing having him killed off at the end of part 4. He had the best death and i'm partly hoping they don't make another series now. That final scene seemed to conclude the whole show, and i'd love it to stay that way.

Jack is the scariest thing in the whole of torchwood. He terrified me, I totally didn't see *another* shock coming. Especially not like that.

Wow. Just wow. By the way the DVD for it only comes out on tuesday in the UK, we'll be able to rewatch it as soon as it comes off of the iplayer :D

But eh, whatever happens, it was still the best Torchwood has ever churned out. And I think this series is also better than anything I've seen from Doctor Who, but then I'm not a massive DW fan anyway.
Eh, each to his own. I'll admit that I absolutely love Torchwood regardless of anything, but if I really have to do a proper objective critique then I'll have to concede that Doctor Who was better because... well, it didn't take itself so serious. Torchwood was trying to do the whole X-Files thing whilst still remaining tied to DW canon, which kinda made it awkward at times. To utterly mince the words of a review I read a long time ago (probably done by Charlie Brooker, it certainly sounds like the kind of thing he'd say) - "Torchwood is like watching a new series of Postman Pat, but instead of delivering mail he's masturbating furiously whilst running over old people in his van".

You are right, however, that it was the greatest thing to come out of Torchwood ever. Probably rates quite high amongst any Doctor Who-related stuff, for that matter.

I was genuinely shaking after watching the last episode. Like, some weird mix of fear and horror. That is genuinely disturbing stuff. The whole "we use kids as crack cocaine" thing was also a really interesting new angle. I was shocked when I found out; I was literally not expecting it at all.

And if they EVER dare making a new Torchwood series after this...

I loved it. I didn't get to watch them while they were on (well, I did get to, but I couldn't be bothered) so I watched them all just now one after another on iPlayer (which I do regret a bit. The best thing about this kind of series is watching them along with anyine else and feeling the suspense). It was some of the best Torchwood came up with. Although this it probably down to the fact that it was all an ongoing storyline for the entire series. It brings to memory the serial storylines in the old Doctor Who series, which I also loved. It's a pity things like this don't come around too often any more, but it's also a good thing, seeing as how I find them super-awesome when they are made.

A fourth series? How? So basically Torchwood with Gwen, Jack if he comes back and maybe Rhys, all without the Hub. I don't see how that would work.

And there's a few things I still don't understand... did they explain why they chose to appear to Britain at all? Or were they just holding up the unwritten law that London is the single most eventful place in the universe, closely followed by Cardiff?

(Also, nitpicking, but what was up with that guy who said "The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland" the Whoniverse keeps getting things like that wrong. Like in The Sound of Drums when they say that the man is "President Elect" but they act as if he's actually the President)

EDIT: I knew it! John Frobisher was played by the same person as in the Doctor Who episode Fires of Pompeii.

Last edited:
Uhh, Russel said himself that if the reaction to Child of Earth is good enough, there'll be a fourth series.
oh cuntbuckets.

):

And there's a few things I still don't understand... did they explain why they chose to appear to Britain at all? Or were they just holding up the unwritten law that London is the single most eventful place in the universe, closely followed by Cardiff?
Well, Britain's where the first meeting occurred, so I guess they chose it for the second because they were used to it... and also so they could blackmail the British government I guess?

Also, it happens in Britain because the writers are British. If Torchwood was written by Americans, the 456 would land in New York; and if the show was written by Nigerians, they'd set it in Lagos (and by god would it be hilarious).

I seriously still can't imagine what the hell he's going to do for a fourth series.

I would have been all set for it, but just... Ianto being killed off has completely changed it for me, for some reason. :/ Heartlessly, the fanservice was one of the... well, main parts of the show. And all we have left are Jack and Gwen. Now, I love Jack to pieces, and he's had some of the best development, but the bases of their personalities are not exactly as unique as Tosh, Owen and Ianto's were. They were less noticeable, less prominent, but they were much more interesting and much more compelling to keep watching.

So RTD's got ridden of three of the best characters, and is somehow hoping to make a fourth series? What's he going to do, kill off Gwen's baby (maybe Rhys too, who knows!) and bring in some random new male character for the slashy fanservice?

Because, uh, that will suck so much I won't even allow myself to watch it as a guilty pleasure. D:

Somehow, Ianto held together a lot of the remains of Torchwood after series 2. Rather ironically since he was actually pretty unassuming before... I just can't see what could be done to Torchwood now. There's also no Hub. And Jack's gone off god know's where, what's he going to do, just come back in a year or so all perfect again?

I WANTED A NEW TORCHWOOD HUB. D:<

The ending was a perfect end to the series, but I wanted a new Torchwood team. Lois was perfect as an informant, I was going to say Rupesh as the new Med, but he's dead so yeah.

Jack's grandson dying was the most epic scene in all of Torchwood. Screw Ianto, I never liked the emphasis on Jack/Ianto. I mean it was a nice subplot, but Ianto's just become a lovesick puppy.

OH MY GOD THAT WAS AMAZING ; ; It's so, so tragic. I just ... and then ... ; ; I mean I actually almost cried in Day Four and during Day Five I teared up. You know, at the council estate with the men?

Yeah. It hit me really hard because the exact same thing would have happened here. It was just ... brilliant. That was an amazing end to Torchwood, although I'm very sad to see it go.

Lois would have made a brilliant addition. :( SOOOOO GOOD.

I just. I mean. With Jack and Steven (Stephen?). That was so sad. And his daughter I mean... :(

D:

If it really does end here it'll be a fitting and perfect end to the series. If it doesn't then I could see a new Hub being built (perhaps with UNNAMED SECRET SERVICE LADY as part of it?). I mean we'd definitely need some Lois, definitely Gwen... I could see possibly Rhys but probably not, honestly. I think a good setting would be to focus on Gwen restarting the Torchwood Institute and recruiting Lois and pulling a team together, and then with Jack returning to help with a new crisis.

; ; god I fucking loved Children of Earth ; ;

I think a good setting would be to focus on Gwen restarting the Torchwood Institute and recruiting Lois and pulling a team together, and then with Jack returning to help with a new crisis.

I'm really fond of this idea as well--since RTD said a fourth series is 'ready to go' if there's good reviews and stuff for CoE (which there HAS been. because it was AWESOME of course)--this is the best way I can see it at least beginning.

It needs to be different from the start of the other two series--with Torchwood rebuilding. I'd like to see Gwen doing some stuff on her own with Jack gone, and I can definitely see her giving Lois a call and eventually the two forming a new mini Torchwood. And then perhaps Jack pops in halfway through the series, though I would like to see him having a new role considering everything that happened in CoE (a.k.a. Stephen mainly, and Ianto).

*babbles* I'm sure they'll be able to pull it off, I just think CoE changed a lot for the show... and a fourth series would have to be even better, which will be really difficult.

Back
Top Bottom