• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Totally Normal Bulletin Board

Dang it dang it dang it. Of course he'd somehow touched on a subject she hated. Trying his best to bury his mortified look, he nodded uncomfortably. He almost apologized again, then quickly decided against it. "I am. I uh... haven't, obviously but this whole thing isn't as weird as I expected honestly. Maybe I read one too many fiction books," he said with a still awkward chuckle. "Feels like I'm lagging behind the group but my trainer side says that pokemon evolve when they're ready, and I guess that applies here."

There had to be a better subject than evolution, right? Something to leave the conversation on a not-sour note? Legedaries? No wait, too many other team members spoke ill of them... For all he knew Mhynt's world was like Nova's. Too bad Mhynt wasn't a trainer, he could have asked her about her team.

"Does your world have books or stories?" he asked on a whim. "There was a library back home I visited all the time before I started traveling. I loved reading adventures and stuff, and I've been to the library here too. it's interesting to see all the different stories." Surely libraries and books were a safe topic...

"Books and stories?" Mhynt repeated. This time, it seemed like Koa had found a benign topic. "Mm... well. Yes, there are a lot of stories. Some based in fiction, others... from real events that were twisted with time." She chuckled lightly. "I've read a few stories about me as Lunala, in a way. It's... flattering. And a strange feeling, too. I don't think a lot of people read tall tales about... themselves."

"Oh that's-" He stopped and blinked. "Did... Did you say you as Lunala?" His eyes widened and he fought the urge to start a deluge of questions including 'tell me more now' and 'what was that like??' and 'sick!'

Was she a legendary, or was it like Aige where Reshiram wasn't even considered one? When he spoke, it was all he could do to restrain his excitement and keep himself to a normal speaking voice. "Lunala are legendaries where you're from then? What kinds of stories do they tell about you?"

Mhynt smiled faintly. These seemed to be... better memories. Perhaps this was an easier topic to tread, for now.

"I was the only one in my world," she explained. "So, that's about as Legendary as you can get. They said I was the moon, that I controlled the seas, all kinds of things. But, well, managing the sea was a different Legend's duties, for one... I was just an emissary of light. I was a general-purpose guardian. I handled disturbances and kept the peace. My tenure was meant to be a thousand years. Though, things became... complicated afterward. No plan survives first contact, I suppose..."

She eyed Koa. She recognized that spark.

"I heard that some humans dream of commanding the Legends and acting as gods by proxy," she commented. "But I see something different in your eyes. What is your... spark?" She smirked, noting his element.

It was hard not to stare at her in awe, but he tried to contain himself and not come off as a starstruck idiot. Lunala. It sounded similar to the one he'd read of in his world too, spoken of in Alolan legends. The Emissary of the Moon. He was talking to a legendary. He'd been talking to a legendary. And she wanted to know about him. A thousand emotions stirred in him.

"I don't want to be god or anything," he said quickly, a brief look of disgust flashing across his face at the thought. How did he explain? How much would the idea of catching a legend even make sense to her if she was a legend? His expression grew more serious. Mhynt was a legendary, this was his chance to explain. To prove himself.

"I don't know how much you know about trainers, but its a little like being a team leader. Back home humans work with pokemon as partners. We help each other, and we bond by battling. Pokeballs are symbol of that trust. But legendaries are... different. Like you, they're guardians and they sometimes worked with humans in the past. Except lately there's a rift between humans and legendaries, because of some... bad stuff that happened. I want to do something about that." He needed to. "I want to become strong enough to prove myself to legendaries, earn their trust, and show people and legendaries there's still good in the world. It would be impossible where I'm from to use a pokeball to contain a legend against their will. But if I catch one in one then it'll prove that humans and legends can trust each other. I can try to make the world better. Fix it, and do something good."

Even if Mhynt wasn't from his world he found himself desperately hoping she would understand.

"Hmmm..." Mhynt closed her eyes, thoughtful.

"No, I understand," Mhynt said. "Even for us, the Legends sometimes offered their services to common Pokemon that impressed them, or if there was need for a hero to harness the power of a Legend. Sometimes that took the form of a blessing, conferred onto them. Other times... the Legend fought by their side. A partnership." She eyed Koa. "There are rumors that humans can amplify the power of Pokemon. I wonder if that's the same in your world... and if Legends may use humans just as much as humans would want to use them."

As he finished speaking, Koa felt like he was balanced on a knife's edge. He wasn't really sure what he'd do with himself if Mhynt said it was a terrible idea. Could he let it go?

To his relief, Mhynt offered her approval. He took a moment to properly consider what she said. It was certainly true that pokemon benefitted from a partnership, but he'd never really considered if a legendary could do the same. They always seemed to much more powerful. "Hmm. I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever heard of a legendary using a human but... Maybe they could. But I'm glad there are worlds where legends can partner with others." It was possible. Mhynt was a legendary, and she said as much.

Part of him desperately wanted to ask her more, but he didn't want to annoy her more. Maybe this would be a good time to give Mhynt her space... "Thanks, by the way, for answering all those questions. I'll try to fill in the others so hopefully you won't have to retell everything." He gave a nod and shifted as if to leave.

Last edited:
Mhynt nodded. "Of course," he said. "And if you ever want to know more about... Legendary life, maybe I could talk about it a little. I have, well, some experience with that sort of life..." She shrugged. "Not as long as you'd expect. ...Well. In any case." She shifted her weight and took on her comfortable standing guard stance again. "I still need to carry out the rest of this shift. Feel free to convey this to the others. I need to remain focused."

His eyes widened slightly at her offer but he held his tongue, excitement burning in him at the idea. "Thank you, I appreciate that," he said earnestly. "Good luck out here." With a polite nod of acknowledgement, he turned and walked away.

It wasn't until he felt sure he was out of sight that a wild grin spread across his muzzle and he gave a little bounce, his tail wagging unconsciously. A legendary offered to talk with him! "Sick!"

<><><><>​

Ch04: Lucis Investigations (Mhynt and Wes)
Late afternoon was the hottest time of day for this spot of the bulletin board. Long enough to soak in all of the sun, but not enough time for the sunset to ease off any of that heat.

Mhynt really wished she had her bucket. Or any shade. Unfortunately, the best she could achieve was finding some long shadows to hide behind so her leaves didn't crumple to the heat.

"Well," she said, "I'm not usually able to be... effective in this kind of weather, but if you have an idea on who to ask... All I know is that Lucis was here, didn't tend to the board for any missions, and seemed to disappear. I have a guess of course, but... no evidence."

…Huh. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary here. Mhynt was clearly suffering in the heat, and Wes felt a bit sorry for her. He’d been pretty lucky to come here in a form well-suited to the heat and desert to begin with.

“What’s your guess, then?” he asked, hoping they could find the kid sooner rather than later and get out of this heat for her sake. He poked around the board, scanning the area for tracks or other signs, and sniffed the air. Maybe he could find something…

Whatever scent was in the air was masked by time and so many other travelers. Tracks were difficult to come by as well. Lucis' small stature was certainly no help there...

"It's pretty easy to assume," Mhynt said. "Where else do people disappear for a while, specifically for this bulletin board? But if I'm right... the implications are worrying."

Where else? Wes frowned and tried to remember what he’d learned about this place. He vaguely remembered it being brought up in the group meeting…something Nova had mentioned…Pokéballs…and—

He blinked. “Holy—you don’t think the kid is meeting with Mew, somehow?”

He’d sort of filed away everything about that—Mew, and apparently, Mewtwo—away in his head, since it had seemed so preposterous and unrelated to anything else at the time. Now he was being forced to confront it and ponder things. It was true everybody who had met Mewtwo had come back fine and unscathed, but…that didn’t mean Mewtwo was trustworthy or had good intentions.

"Precisely," Mhynt said with a narrowed gaze. "...Do you think we should go to the meeting spot and ask? It's over there." She discretely glanced at a triangle arrangement of rocks a few minutes off the beaten path. It was very possible they'd also find traces of Lucis there, assuming he'd gone that way...

"Or," she said, "we could hold off of a confrontation. I don't really know how they'd react if we asked directly... and it's only two of us. They have a good track record, but... call me skeptical."

Wes’s fur prickled at the idea. “No, I’m with you there,” he said in a soft growl. “If we go…I’d rather it not just be the two of us.” But…on the other hand, if Lucis was going alone and coming back unscathed, wasn’t that a promising sign?

“Can we inform Betel? Maybe see if they can send backup our way?”

"Hmm." Mhynt weighed the options, then nodded. "Yes. I think that's a good idea. We can wait here until then... I'll send word so we don't overwhelm Betel. They can be... frazzled easily, if I remember right."

She focused and sent word over...

Wes shifted his weight and glanced between Mhynt and the relentless sun overhead. He hoped for her sake that it wouldn’t take too long for backup to arrive. He nodded to the flimsy shadow cast by the bulletin board. “There’s some shade over there you can use in the meantime.”

The cavalry was one large birddogfish. Which destroyed any hope of a stealth approach. Though Nova's arrival meant shade for the two smaller 'mon by virtue of Nova's size.

"Hey." Nova glanced at the board. "So did you actually see this mystery kid? Or is this more of a hunch?"

As soon as Silver mind-heard the news about a Mewtwo that supposedly was also Giovanni, only one thought occupied his mind: he needed to be there. He needed to see that pathetic, weak bastard with his own eyes! (Granted, being a Mewtwo wasn’t exactly what he could call ‘weak’, but that wasn’t the point!)

Everything else became an irrelevant blur, kept out by a thick-walled tunnel vision and drowned by the thumps of his hammering heart. Boiling, corrosive, explosive lava coursed through his body, which quaked with a mix of anticipation and trepidation. Not even distance was a concern for him, and he sped through every anchor point he could find, like a swift weasel-shaped shadow. Anything to get there on time.

And there it was. The bulletin board. With a deep calming breath, Silver forced down his hottest emotions by letting the far-less-hot air seep into his lungs, and approached the small gathering. “Hey there! Backup’s arrived!”

Silver glanced at Nova and blinked in astonishment. Whoa, the chimera almost looked like a new ‘mon! “Oh, right! Congrats for breaking your mask!” he said, flashing a tiny smile. “I wished to celebrate this moment under better circumstances, but well. Such is life.”

His smile faded, leaving behind only a serious face. There was no room for emotions or hesitation; those could lead to mistakes, and making mistakes wasn’t a luxury they could afford.

“So! Where’s this… guy located?” he asked, barely keeping his icy venom in check.

Mhynt sized them up before nodding. Four was good enough.

"The usual meeting place is meant to be discrete. Nova? Let's lead them to it." She gestured to the triangular arrangement of rocks off the horizon, a good few minutes of walking off the established roads. She disappeared, reappearing on Nova and angling herself to avoid the sun.

"And let's watch for tracks, too," she added. "It's indeed... only a hunch. But it's also the only logical conclusion with the information we have."

Back
Top Bottom