• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Traveller's Haus - Dining Hall

Bellatrix responded to Dave with a cool look. "You've never been in the business of bounty hunting, have you?" she asked. The illusion was now folding her arms. "It remains until that request is fulfilled and the bigger the bounty, the more keen hunters you have. Furthermore, this is a big event with many eyes on it. If Sonora shows up with her gang, you can count on many other hunters showing up to get their shot in." She looked back at the others with a frown. "She's either going to die or be brought back into the mayor's flippers anyway, so it's best that we remain prepared to the best of our ability."

Towards Wes, she said, "It's an ego stroking session of the rich. Wanting things to go smoothly or not have a party crashed by bandits is solely a matter of reputation. It doesn't necessarily mean that there's an army of skeletons in his closet." Though, admittedly, Bellatrix would not have been surprised in the slightest if that did end up being the case. But the way the rockruff worded himself...

"Where did you hear that the bandits were going to infiltrate for a certain thing?" she asked. "We were hired as bouncers on the off-chance that they were going to show up for reasons that I just mentioned." The idea that Wes was a conspiracy nut like that machoke flicked across her mind.

You've never been in the business of bounty hunting, have you?" she asked.
Ha. Hahaha. Shit.

His intuition has been right. Definitely keeping that one at arm’s length. Not that Wes was a wanted criminal in this world anyway, but still…her enthusiasm for capturing the bandits, even as a ruse, suddenly made sense. She spoke way too familiarly about the “business” of bounty hunting to not be involved in some kind of way. At least she had higher standards than Ignition Guy. Though that wasn’t saying a whole lot.

He met her cool gaze with his own. “I haven’t. Call it intuition, I guess. It seems way too risky of a job for a frankly idiotic goal. And I don’t know if you noticed, but Mr. High and Mighty Mayor didn’t seem too interested in answering any of my questions directly.” He took another sip of his drink. “I’m just putting two and two together.”

Last edited:
Nip dipped his head in Dave's direction. That was at least someone else that saw it like he did.

“Something is up with this gala. I don’t believe these thieves are staging such an elaborate infiltration just on the off-chance they’ll nab some fancy jewelry and embarrass that prick of a mayor.
Then he noticed the rockruff in the corner. He wasn't properly introduced to this one - or any of these pokemon, now that he thought about it. He'd mostly kept to himself and so far.

"It's an ego stroking session of the rich. Wanting things to go smoothly or not have a party crashed by bandits is solely a matter of reputation. It doesn't necessarily mean that there's an army of skeletons in his closet."
"I don't know about that, I think he has a point. Maybe it is as simple as protecting his ego, but I find it hard to believe a whole group of bandits would sneak into his party just for that. Maybe there's something of great value there. Or maybe there's something of his on the line. Maybe he just wants to eat them." Yes, the idea was still playing in his head. "I can't say I understand politics, but I trust my instincts when I think something stinks."

Bellatrix responded to Dave with a cool look. "You've never been in the business of bounty hunting, have you?" she asked.
"Well, no, because I'm a civilized human being. What the fuck." This condescending little fox was a bounty hunter? Was this some kind of fucked-up 'if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail' situation? Every problem must be solvable by apprehending criminals?

Wes was saying something about the Floragato having other ulterior motives, and fuck. Why was everyone obsessed with these fucking bandits? Why the fuck should they even care? Why had Bellatrix chosen to do this whole meeting looking like a Floragato? Was he supposed to have even heard of these fucking people other than as names and sketches on a bunch of posters?

He clenched his teeth. "Look, whatever. I'm done here. If you're so desperate to earn points with Mr. Erects-Statues-of-Himself and convinced you can do no fucking wrong in your little master plan, be my guest. I'm going to hit the Wandering Zera."

He turned towards the exit. Yeah. Going for the cactus whiskey.

"Look, good luck finding a place to live if we fuck this whole thing up and get labeled criminals ourselves. You think you can survive out there in the wilderness on your own, pup? Good fucking luck to you," he called out to Dave, sick of that poochyena's shit. He had to have been a human in his world because, goddamn, it was hard to believe a regular Pokemon could be so utterly crass.

"Anyway... we can rant and rave about conspiracies all we want until the miltank's come home, yeah? Still not much of a way to get any absolute proof until the day of the gala arrives. Now, a few of us are expected to be there, and that means we might well have a chance to get to see if there is anything particularly of note that's being displayed or otherwise being put out there that someone might want to take... or hell, even destroy if it's something dangeorus. Maybe we can find a way to relay all of this to the others in a safe way without anyone on either side of this ordeal noticing."

Archie threw up his paws. There were too many egos at work here and everyone was talking over everyone else. He tried to play along and be helpful and all it got him was thrown under the bus so he could look like the idiot instead of one of the apparent ~master strategists~ in the room. This was stupid and a waste of time, he was going back to his original plan of just making sure no one got captured at the gala. These assholes could stand here and shout at each other in riddles and leading questions all they wanted. He had better things he could be doing, like literally anything else.

He stood from his seat, swiping his hat from the table and plopping it back on his head. And then he walked out, leaving his half eaten food behind.

Not anymore, Bellatrix thought though she didn't vocalise that seeing that it was still a bit of a sore-spot for more than just Dave. "He's not going to last very long," Bellatrix said instead, watching him leave. "Let him go. If he just wants to drink is problems away, then it's not going to be our problem once he realises that this world doesn't play by his rules."

Back on the matter at hand, however, she gave Wes' theory some more thought. "It is possible," she said, "though I don't believe much can be done about it." The illusion vanished, leaving the zorua sitting on the table with a pensive frown. "For now, my prerogative remains the same: fulfil the mayor's request and attempt to apprehend Sonora and her gang if they decide to show themselves but I may investigate a few things before the event. There are a few things that aren't sitting right with me, conspiracy or not."

Taking a moment to calm himself down, Corey noticed Archie had left. Great... shit got so bad he had to peace-out... Corey couldn't blame him, but he could very much blame himself. God, was being a ralts all it took for him to lose his temper so quickly like that? What the fuck kind of asset was he to this team if that's what he had to offer?

"Well, whatever... I'm going to bed... Any of you come across some sort of breakthrough, I guess you can let me know if you think I'll understand it. Sorry for the fuss." he murmured, telekinetically gathering what was left of his meal and disposing of it before making his way back to his room. Things just couldn't be a little more simple around here...

Clover frowned. There were so many sources of hostility so could hardly pick out one before they lashed out and added to someone else's stress.

Clover floated over to Bellatrix's illusion and wrapped her in an arm.

"I think you all are overthinking this. Are you sure these outlaws will even show up? Maybe they just wanted to prank someone else so they can't go. But it's a really weird party if you have to bring your invitations to get in. Obviously they'll be checking names at the door and looking at a list, not just letting anyone with an invite in."

"And the outlaws know what will happen if they're caught. It's not like we're invading and starting a new regime, those signs were up long before we came here."

Odette had settled herself toward the back of the dining hall, dead set at whittling away at a cup of tea while she merely overheard the conversation at hand. All she needed to hear was something else about the mayor, and apparently, some other 'mon from her group had come to deliver.

"I get the impression that we will need to get ourselves on the same page regarding this matter as soon as possible," she began. "So, first and foremost, do you intend to keep your word to the mayor?"
Already off the great start.

The Oshawott rested his elbows on the table, like some kind of heathen, his gaze drifting from Mhynt to the Sneasel and back again, before quipping, in a dry, displeased tone, in answer to the Treecko’s question, “Highway robbery, for which the punishment is death.”
He didn't realize he was baring his fangs. "Death? No, not interested. What if he wants to... Eat them or something."
And she immediately took it all back upon hearing these drops. So were they dealing with a psycho penguin that liked to dismember mawile (or in this case, floragato) in his basement?

"Which is why it won't happen," she continued. "The observant among you may have noticed my usage of the past tense when referring to the gallows and indeed, if you look now, you'll find them scorched to the ground. The mayor seemed particularly sensitive about it when pressed meaning that its an insecurity and genuine spanner in his system, something we can and should take advantage of." She looked back over the posters thoughtfully. "The key thing here is to remain within the mayor's good graces. Ruining that would leave us in a far worse spot than we are now, meaning that if we wish to undermine him, we will need to do it in a more subtle way."
She had to raise a brow. Her immediate notion was to wonder why the fuck anyone would want to remain in his good graces, but being that she'd spent so much time schmoozing the rich for her own gain back in her world, she truly had no room to object.

There was a brief moment of pause and suddenly, Bellatrix was gone. Instead, sitting on the edge of the table was Sonora herself, or at least a very close approximation of her, the only discrepancies being the fluffy white tail with a red tip and the disposition. "That leaves the first order to ensure that the gallows are not rebuilt in a functional state upon Sonora's apprehension," the 'floragato' added. The illusion traced a claw down the bridge of her nose. "As for why we should aim for their arrest, it's to minimize the risk of another hunter deciding to bring her in dead unless, of course, it's suddenly fine if someone else does it."
Impressive, again, she thought, sipping more of her tea.

"Okay, what the fuck are you talking about?" he said at last. "We can't afford to alienate this particular group of random fucking highway robbers? Did I miss where we had some sort of obligation to these people? Has everyone gone fucking insane?"
There was that poochyena, Dave, again. Spitting facts. While Bellatrix did have a point about staying in Ignutjob's good graces, there was also a valid point in just simply...playing their own side. In the end, they really were outsiders here. What if helping either of them just led to a bad ending regardless?

"If you missed it, the reason I bring any of this at all was because I and a few others were hired by the mayor to protect this gala, and it's not something we cannot just not do seeing that we'd agreed to his terms to repel the gang from the gala." Of the lot, Mhynt seemed like the most competent of the bunch and the illusion nodded along to her words. "We want to remain on his good side because some of us still rely on his help to get by and there is no telling what he will do if we get on his bad one. Unless of course, you'd like your own wanted poster and trip to the gallows."
There it is, she thought. She wanted to be shocked, but truthfully, if Sonora had been so eager to hire some to help her, then there was little doubt the mayor wasn't too far behind.

“Something is up with this gala. I don’t believe these thieves are staging such an elaborate infiltration just on the off-chance they’ll nab some fancy jewelry and embarrass that prick of a mayor. They’re after something at this gala, something specific, though I have no clue what it is.” He leaned back in his seat. “But it’s something that the mayor wants to keep hidden at all costs, and I, for one, intend to find out what he’s hiding.”
The rockruff--Blueball, because she'd forgotten what his name was--was right on the dot. For the most part. Not that Odette herself knew more than what Sonora was letting on, but she doubted Ignoxious was all that loose-lipped about the gentrification thing.

“It’s worth considering,” he lied. “But I think it’s too risky to leave it up to just one person. Better if we could find a way to get a small group inside.”
Suddenly, the invitation she'd gotten from Sonora was burning a tear in her garter belt. She wasn't planning to say anything yet, but...

"It's an ego stroking session of the rich. Wanting things to go smoothly or not have a party crashed by bandits is solely a matter of reputation. It doesn't necessarily mean that there's an army of skeletons in his closet." Though, admittedly, Bellatrix would not have been surprised in the slightest if that did end up being the case. But the way the rockruff worded himself...
"Fuck it," she muttered, standing up and walking over to the group, ignoring those who had started to leave. Good, less to overhear this.

"Sorry," she said as she nudged her way into the group. "Not really good at the whole 'butting in' thing, but I think this is relevant."

She leaned against a nearby chair, minding her jaws as she did. "Kind of a freaky coincidence that you've been solicited by the mayor, I assume, around the same time I had a chance meeting with the weeded feline herself," she said, lowering her voice to ensure only those in immediate earshot would catch it. "But I won't get into that right now."

She crossed her arms, tilting her head thoughtfully as she recalled the meeting for the tenth time that morning. "According to her words, of which I am not fully inclined to believe yet--but let it be known I'm versed in the art of lie detection--the gala is meant to serve as a means to convince more of the snotty silver spoon babies in the area to line Ignaughty's pockets, expand his influence, and take more land away from the locals. You know, gentrifying it. In true rich bastard fashion," she explained with a sarcastic inflection and a shrug to match.

"I tried to ask if she knew anything deeper but she vanished before we got that far. I can't quite say if there's more there, but I could bet something there might be."

Before she went any further, she raised her hands if surrendering. "I'm truly not here to get into an argument with anyone, so please let me preface this with the fact I have no definitive line of action in my head yet. I'm still info gathering," she said. Her eyes then cut down to the straps around her legs, and she was suddenly rifling underneath her skirt fabric. "However..." she cringed, "...sorry, garters are better than pockets..."

She didn't intend to pull it all the way out. There was no reason to let the whole world know she had it. But she flashed the gala invitation just enough to allow the group to see.

"I just wanted to say that we have a few more options in terms of how to go about it."

Bellatrix quickly phased through any attempts at hugging to turn her attention towards Odette. "Hired to act as bouncers," she told the shuppet. "Whether or not they show up or not is irrelevant, it's what we do if they do show up that matters."

She massaged her temples as others left the building in their own forms of frustration. Great. She'd have to deal with them later. However she perked up when she heard Odette speak up.

She nodded along to the mawile's explanations. "So they are planning something," she began, placing a paw below her chin as she thought. She then snorted at the apparent reason the gala was being held at all. Of course it was a massive ploy for power, what else would it be? "If you're wondering of the mayor's character, he's more insufferable than you can ever imagine," she said, "so what Sonora says may not be wholly unbelievable..."

She looked back at the others briefly before her gaze fell on the invitation, eyes widening as they did so. "Did you learn more of Sonora and her reasons for banditry?" Bellatrix asked as the gears began to turn in her head.

"Hold on," Mhynt said. "What policies has that mayor done already? Trying to pull sway to gain more power, influence, and land? How much does he have already, why does he need more?" She narrowed her eyes, skeptical. Who was the real thief here?

She disappeared, reappearing about a foot behind Wes.
One second she was in front of him, and then the next she was breathing down his neck.

“Gods!” Wes nearly jumped out of his seat right then and there. Instead, he whipped around to snap at her. “Don’t do that. What is wrong with you?”

"I used to be a Lunala. Long story."
“Right. Cool. Congratulations or whatever, good for you.” He huffed and scooted his seat a few feet away for good measure.

I don’t even know what the hell a Lunala is. He didn’t care to ask, either.

My scars are invisible. Not everyone can see."

Clover popped out of the Treecko's shadow and gave her a one armed hug.
"I can! And everybody needs to go to bed, before you start another argument! You're and Bellatrix are making our group sad, and we need to work together!"

Mhynt stared at Clover. "Really. Your solution to a dissenting opinion is to send them to bed?" she questioned. "Do you think that will help with the group in the long run? I think we're closer to a breakthrough with this new information to 'go to bed.'" What was this child?

Nip was about ready to follow the example of the oshawott and poochyenna and leave as well, when two more of the party showed up. The first was a childish shuppet who clearly didn't understand the gravity of the situation, if she was suggesting sending everyone to bed like kits.

The second was...

No.

His fur started to prickle just looking at the other arrival. No, it wasn't her. She didn't sound like her, or smell like her, or even look like her. At least not any more an any other mawile would. But seeing her still triggered fear. Still triggered phantom pain.

He barely registered what she had to say - something about other members of their group helping the bandits? He needed to leave. He needed to calm down and get his bearings.

Without a word (he would have excused himself but he suspected he wouldn't be able to keep a quiver out of his voice) he turned to head for the exit, leaving his half-eaten food behind.

"If you're wondering of the mayor's character, he's more insufferable than you can ever imagine," she said, "so what Sonora says may not be wholly unbelievable..."
Odette pressed her lips into a line. "I'm positively astonished to hear that," she said flatly. "Entirely in line with whatever I heard out of her myself."

She looked back at the others briefly before her gaze fell on the invitation, eyes widening as they did so. "Did you learn more of Sonora and her reasons for banditry?" Bellatrix asked as the gears began to turn in her head.
A nod. "I did. Another sneasel in our group mentioned a thing or two about payment, and Sonora seemed insistent she didn't have physical coin. Something, something, surviving off some of it and letting the rest go back to the common folk," she explained, waving her hand around slowly. "She didn't get into much more detail than that, but it feels rather straightforward to me provided she was telling the whole truth."

For the briefest second, she gnawed the inside of her cheek. "We talked about world-hopping some. Dungeons. She told us more about this Jesse Stranger person; I imagine some of you have heard that name before. Mentioned knowing his kid, Brisa, who's I guess a ranger of some sort now," she explained. A shrug. "Why that's relevant? That might be the millionth time I've heard this Stranger person's name, and apparently he has a kid that had some kind of falling out with Sonora over their conflicting occupations. But that's all she really gave us."

"Hold on," Mhynt said. "What policies has that mayor done already? Trying to pull sway to gain more power, influence, and land? How much does he have already, why does he need more?" She narrowed her eyes, skeptical. Who was the real thief here?
Odette looked over her shoulder at the treecko. "Rumors about that have been going around at Sun Stone. Mr. Birdbrain has been buying up a shit ton of land, prices are looking to skyrocket, landlords are gonna benefit the most off the unfortunate working class, etcetera, etcetera. Wasn't sure how much of it was relevant to us until all this, but here we are."

A pause. "Also heard the term 'candidate registration' and 'reform' being used together, but gods only know what the actual fuck that means." What kind of government did this town even have?

"I can! And everybody needs to go to bed, before you start another argument! You're and Bellatrix are making our group sad, and we need to work together!"
She narrowed her eyes at the shuppet. She wanted to be annoyed, but they sounded like a child.

Gods, the cloud brought fucking children here? On top of whatever bullshit was headed their way, there was a chance they'd have to deal with puberty spells meddling with it? Granted, this shuppet could not have been older than 8, so really, it was just a matter of keeping them from biting the wrong ankles.

"No offense...little one," she averted her eyes away, realizing that sounded less weird in her head, "I choose my own bedtime, and it's not going to be in the middle of a conversation like this."

Without a word (he would have excused himself but he suspected he wouldn't be able to keep a quiver out of his voice) he turned to head for the exit, leaving his half-eaten food behind.
As the other sneasel moved to leave, Odette watched him go with a quirk to her brow. The stiff way he held himself indicated some fear, but she wasn't quite sure at what. Was it something she said? Was it derogatory to refer to sneasel as "another"? No matter, though. Whatever that deal was, it could wait.

Last edited:
Mhynt hummed. "I see," she said. "Well. I'm not one for causing chaos when it isn't necessary, but now I'm certainly not going to openly and fully align with a mayor who is already known for going against the common people. I think that will actively go against trying to gain support in the future."

Back
Top Bottom