• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 2]

Well, he roleclaimed as doctor or whatever, and those guys are the ones you want to get rid of first, along with oracles/inspectors and that. Why would it be 'unnecessarily messy'? :S

Actually

After rereading the Flavor Text, I see what you meant by messy, Kusari. Ignore my previous post.

It's possible that Dave died due to Healer Clash. It might be some White Mage who used magic to heal and thus caused him to asplode. It'd make sense for healers to target him as well, since Body Guards are pretty useful.

More dead mafia. This is good.

Guys, what if both factions targeted Dave last night? 'twould explain the single mafia death last night and why he was nothing more than a splatter of gore. Or maybe the non-legitimate-business mafia also targeted Superbird because I imagine that eliminating the other mafia would be helpful - less chance of them getting killed, right? This also explains single death-ness.

EDIT: Healer clash is an idea, too.
Grr. > 40 players + secret roles = brain hurting.

*points to other post* Or, you know, Dave died saving someone else. Doesn't quite matter, but it confirms his roleclaim if it is.

Just posting to say that I'm gone for the rest of the week, so don't be all suspicious in my absence. Please. :<

Perhaps we have a clash on our hands, and I think I have a way to lessen the chances of another one. Dear healer(s), if you go to a random number generator and set it to 1-100*, then roll it. If you get >50, choose Walker, and if not heal someone else.

*or just 1-2 if you prefer

Yeah, healer clash would make sense. Targeting the bodyguard would presumably protect him if the mafia targeted Dave or if Dave took the bullet for Kratos whomever he was protecting, which would seemingly increase chances of the healing being useful. It's possible that the healers and mafia all targeted him, also.

If a couple more nights go by without multiple mafia-like deaths or the revelation of a different legitimate club, though, we'll probably have to assume there's only one mafia. Though it might be prudent to wait until Kratos all the normal targets are dead, since it's from that point that multiple factions/doctors are less likely to target the same people.

The healer clash makes sense, but if Walker is telling the truth about being the Vigilante, wouldn't there be more deaths? Both of last night's deaths could possibly be explain by a vig kill and a healer clash, but there's no indication of a Mafia kill.
While we may have a lucky healer or another bodyguard protection (if there's another bodyguard role), it's highly unlikely that they will target the exact same person as the Mafia with this many players. If there's two or more Mafia factions, it's even less likely that both attacks would be blocked. And I'm pretty sure that Bachuru would randomise the attack if none of the Mafia members sent in a night action.

However, Blazie's suggestion that both factions targeted Dave Strider also seems pretty likely, as he revealed himself to be quite a valuable role for the innocents. I'm sure the Mafia would want to get rid of any healing, inspecting or protecting roles at once!

Maybe if some people revealed who they targeted last night we might get more of an idea on what happened?

Sorry I'm late to the party! Busy week behind me; busy week ahead!

Right, so here's what I know: I'm an inspector equivalent, and I inspected Mawile last night who turned out to be mafia. (The night before I inspected Tailsy, and she turned up innocent.)

Since alien is a practical non-issue, I'm going to go ahead and vote Mawile.

...Sorry, Vixie, but suspicious much? You don't post (or view) this thread until the second day, you roleclaim on your first post, and you don't mention your tropes. Speaking of tropes, what are they? Even though I'm pretty sure you're a troper, telling us those won't do any harm since you already roleclaimed inspector.

A common side-effect of being a university student is being universally busy. I am going to be frank and say my interest level in this game is low. If you want to confirm my innocence, lynch Mawile.

Who did you target the first night, Walker? Nobody?

I'd like to see more information on the Vixie/Mawile thing before I make a decision, so I'm going to leave that for now and check back tomorrow night. If there is any really, though if there's more than one mafia faction of course lynching mawile obviously won't do anything to clear Vixie's name, though it might buy her a couple nights before we figured out that there were multiple factions and could be roused to further suspicion.

Because, speaking of, I'm on break right now and confined to using a dial-up modem at odd hours of the morning to get online at all. So you probably won't be seeing much of me until Sunday. I'm not ~*suspiciously lurking*~ or anything.

Perhaps we have a clash on our hands, and I think I have a way to lessen the chances of another one. Dear healer(s), if you go to a random number generator and set it to 1-100*, then roll it. If you get >50, choose Walker, and if not heal someone else.

*or just 1-2 if you prefer

That means a 1/4 chance of both healers rolling to heal Walker, so I really don't think this is a good idea. To healers: DON'T LET THE RNG GODS DECIDE THE FATE OF US POOR INNOCENTS.

The healer clash makes sense, but if Walker is telling the truth about being the Vigilante, wouldn't there be more deaths? Both of last night's deaths could possibly be explain by a vig kill and a healer clash, but there's no indication of a Mafia kill.

Vigilantes usually don't kill on the first night unless they're really stupid, seeing that there's no clues on the first night at all, period. I'm pretty sure Walker is not stupid to that extreme, so I think a Body Guard backlash would work better.

But let's hold this thought until Walker answers Negrek's question.

Could it be possible that Dave died of a Mafia kill and a healer clash? It's messy enough for it...

...I'm not sure what to make about Vixie's post. On one hand, she's usually right (I remember another Mafia game in which she randomly popped up and called to lynch people and basically wiped out all of the Mafia. I think it's the Mafia game in which Superbird was Mafia but lost, but I'm not sure). Then again, this is Vixie we're talking about here...

Mawile has viewed this thread but has not posted. She's viewed it pretty recently, also. So if we want to lynch just for inactivity, she'd be a pretty good target. Then again, there're quite a few other inactives as well....

Vixie, may I know the reason you chose to investigate Mawile?

If at any point Vixie dies and is proven innocent, Mawile is still alive, we can probably safely lynch it the next day, in any case. Though I'm guessing one of our vigilantes would be interested in doing just that tonight.

Well, now we have two people the healers would be interested in.

I'd say lynching Mawile would be pretty safe; though it's odd to inspector-roleclaim so quickly, not being invested in the game means Vixie's not too worried about dying, which might happen at any moment anyway and at least a useful contribution has occurred. After all, Mawile hasn't even posted, so there's no real reason to go after it.

If Mawile turns up innocent, we'd obviously be going after Vixie at the next opportunity (the vigilante could mean we don't even have to wait for lynchtimes), so it does seem fairly likely that, not particularly wanting to die, Vixie's telling the truth (unless... Vixie's the alien!). The worst case scenario would be that Vixie is mafia and sacrificing one of the less active members in order to gain public trust (even chance that Tailsy is innocent in that case - if Tailsy dies and is mafia, Vixie goes poof, and it's a death sentence for Tailsy if Vixie turns up mafia), and even in that case, we'd at least be able to whittle down their numbers.

I suppose it's possible for some sort of Thanatos Gambit going into play should Mawile die, but idk. Mawile it is.

(You're supposed to investigate Kratos on the second night if he's not dead by then, though!)

For the record, at this point I really doubt Tailsy is mafia. Don't forget that Superbird was also going after her, and he turned up mafia. It would take both Vixie lying to keep Tailsy safe and Superbird secretly working against his mafia faction to for Tailsy to be mafia, and while both of those things are possible (especially given Superbird's behavior yesterday), I dunno, it just doesn't seem as likely to me. Any other inspectors we might have could certainly check Vixie and/or Tailsy, though. (And just don't say anything yet if they turn up innocent, because, you know, don't need another inspector outed so soon.)

I doubt we'll be hearing any further confirmation from Vixie on anything, but I am curious as to whether or not Mawile has anything to say. The last time it viewed the thread was ~20 minutes before Vixie claimed, so I guess it hasn't seen this development yet.

Vixie, may I know the reason you chose to investigate Mawile?

Yeah, why did you?

If it was just random, then, well congrats on being lucky. But it seems kind of unlikely, with such a huge group. Unless there's tons of mafia members, and I wouldn't be surprised about that. It seems a little suspicious.

What if Mawile had a role that made it show up as mafia when lynched? Vixie could have really inspected Mawile and just be trying to get us to lynch them in order to both gain our trust and get rid of an innocent. Or is that too convoluted?

Is there anyone else who hasn't posted yet?

What if Mawile had a role that made it show up as mafia when lynched? Vixie could have really inspected Mawile and just be trying to get us to lynch them in order to both gain our trust and get rid of an innocent. Or is that too convoluted?

So you're suggesting that she might be some sort of mafia-aligned inspector? Not impossible. That happens in some multi-faction games. "Miller" roles that investigate or flip as mafia even though they're innocent also happen. But what are the chances that Vixie investigates someone, gets an innocent result and then knows that they'll flip mafia when they die? Unless she gets role results instead of alignment results, there's really no way she could know ahead of time that Mawile would have a misleading flip--suggesting it as a lynch would be far, far too likely to backfire. If she's a mafia inspector and is suggesting that Mawile is mafia, then Mawile probably actually is mafia and just part of a different faction. Or, at least, Mawile is innocent but investigates as mafia and Vixie is assuming that it's part of a different faction.

Ahg I really hate how fast this game goes sometimes. :[

We also might be able to assume that Kratos is not mafia by this: since Dave protected Kratos on the first night and a mafia member died (and Kratos is not dead), it's highly probable that the mafia tried to kill Kratos and thus got killed on that night, especially given the "Kratos is not allowed to survive beyond the first night of a mafia game" rule. Since there's no reason that (I can see) for the mafia to attack their own member on the first night, we can reasonably assume that Kratos is Innocent. Or an Alien. Or a Terrorist. Or some mysterious role that nobody knows about yet.

Except that there are probably more than one faction of mafia, meaning one could have targeted Kratos without knowing it was a member of another mafia.

Anyhow, re: Mawile, there really isn't much reason not to lynch. Iirc they haven't been very productive for the game so we wouldn't be losing much (same as random lynching someone unproductive, except here with the added bonus of it being more likely to be mafia), and then if it turns out they are mafia one of the doctors knows to protect Vixie. And then there's less likely to be a healer clash, since there are more people to protect: Vixie, Walker? I'm probably missing people but whatever. Those two are important, from the roles they've revealed, if those roles are true. So uh yes I nominate Mawile for now.

But Negrek's question is important - Walker, who did you target on the first night, if anyone?

Vigilantes usually don't kill on the first night unless they're really stupid, seeing that there's no clues on the first night at all, period. I'm pretty sure Walker is not stupid to that extreme, so I think a Body Guard backlash would work better.

I wasn't really talking about the first night XD
I mentioned the possibility that Walker could be lying due to the fact that because of the secret roles, we do not know for certain if there is a vigilante role or not. I do believe that Walker is telling the truth (seeing as it does make sense), we can't know for certain. I don't want to be absolutely certain on something just incase we all start believing (for example) "ok guys X is Mafia I know for certain" and whoops we just lynched the activated Alien and we're all dead. But I think I'm starting to deviate away from what you were originally saying.

Anyway, it is a little bit suspicious that Vixie just suddenly waltzes into the discussion and says that Mawile is Mafia. Considering that this same scenario has happened in another Mafia and she was right, I think that she might be telling the truth here. There is also the possibility that she might be using this fact to her advantage and posing as an innocent to convince people to lynch the 'Mafia'. Or I'm just being extremely paranoid!

Either way, I won't decide on who to lynch yet, seeing as there's still quite a few questions to be answered.

Okay, so I'm inclined to believe Vixie. She pretty much never just waltzes into a discussion and goes "k this person is mafia" unless she's right or is just testing to see if I'll fuck up in #mafia again (which is rly annoying gurl y u do dis).
However, I am not inclined to lynch Mawile, because (and I'm gonna sound reeeeaaaally dumb for this) I targeted him on N0, and, well, he didn't die. Prooobably should have mentioned that before, but oh well, it's at least on the table now.

Vixie- We're on the same side. Are you trying to make us lose?

Yep. Vixie's mafia- as am I.

Back
Top Bottom