• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Twilight

Wtf is Morning Sun? (Fuck, please, PLEASE don't say it's a extension to Twilight series.)

Yeah, so I read the first book, Twilight, and though that it was a pretty decent book. Then, once I began to read New Moon, I realized that this book was utterly horrible. The writing's sloppy, and Bella is such a whinny slut. She ALWAYS thinks she's going to die. And all the books a rushed into being a shitty 'epic novel'. I think I'd rather period through my penis than read the last two books

... How does that make her a slut? :S

Midnight Sun? It's Twilight from Edward's point of view. Apparently written because Robert Pattinson was like "he has no character how the fuck am I meant to act this". Then he got the first twelve chapters of it and they were leaked online. There is absolutely no connection between these two facts, really.
I think I like Robert Pattinson.

... How does that make her a slut? :S
...what? Would it of helped if I said 'And she ALWAYS thinks she's going to die"?

...what? Would it of helped if I said 'And she ALWAYS thinks she's going to die"?

Uh, no. Thinking your death is imminent has nothing to do with being a whore (or 'dirty/slovenly', for that matter). In fact they don't even screw until the fourth book.

No, those two statements were completely unrelated. I'm just saying what's so aggravating about her.

That doesn't really change my point. :S Bella is hardly a slut. In fact that's what's so bad about her character -- she has no negative traits (clumsiness does not count >:|). At all.

Oh, Cirrus, read my posts ):

It's not physical abuse, and that's my point. Because he doesn't hit her and rape her and things, people think the relationship isn't abusive, and it's scary how many people can't realize this. But it really, truly is. Many of the things Edward does are manipulative and controlling, which is the textbook definition of emotional abuse.

Here we go:

twilight.jpg

The above image consists of a passage from Jennifer Valenti's Brilliant Book "Full Frontal Feminism" pages 73-74, from Chapter Four entitled "The Blame (And Shame) Game."

She is discussing the tell-tale signs of an abusive partner and the ways they can abuse their partners even if they never lay a hand on them.

(from here)

In the absence of anything else sexist in the books (and there are plenty of other examples, like Bella doing all the chores in the house, the males in pretty much every relationship in the book dominating their female partners, etc.), I'd say they were absolutely terrible just for this. I'm not into book burning or what have you, but it's appalling how many teenage girls "want a boyfriend just like Edward!", and young girls are growing up with a book that teaches them to be subservient and allow - possibly even want - abuse of this degree on themselves and hold Bella as some kind of role model.

I say we make all the kids watch Buffy if they want a decent vampire-themed storyline :/

Ah, right. I did read your post wrong. But it was an honest mistake... ;_;

It IS annoying how many teenage girls want a boyfriend just like Edward, because he really... wouldn't be that great a boyfriend. I'm trying to forget it's Stephenie Meyer writing the books and someone trying to prove how clichés suck, because it does look like she's making some effort into not making Edward as perfect as he initially seems. But then you look at Bella, who's pretty much the most annoying character in the books (not a good thing for a protagonist, really) and the least developed.

But teenage girls who really haven't read any decent literature their entire lives will be just that, and they're always going to be looking for a hot, romantic bishie for their own. So yes, it's appalling, but it does happen to most fandoms with that type of character, it's just more noticeable in a massive hype like Twilight (having irritating girl-next-door "social norm" Bella as the main character doesn't help, though, I know).

Ehh. I don't know why I think the books are alright. XD Guilty pleasure or something.

Okay, so I saw the Twilight movie! :o MY THOUGHTS ON TWILIGHT, LET ME SHOW YOU THEM.

That kid, Mike? Who asked Bella to the prom? What the hell, he was freaking adorable. How in the world could she say no to him? He was cuter than Edward and all shy and awkward! I mean, I'm happy for Jessica (that was her name, right?) and all, but he had those adorable blue eyes. Come on!

Ahem. I actually... found Edward kind of cute as well. In the "aww, look at him being awkward and having no idea how to talk to girls!" sense. Even watching her sleep struck me less as a stalker kind of thing and more like a really innocent sort of "oh, that's creepy? Really? I didn't know, sorry. D:" thing. I mean, I know in the later books he gets all controlling and abusive and he is ridiculously unreasonable about the whole vampire thing (just why doesn't he want her to be turned again?) - but in this movie you can sort of ignore that part and just go "Aww, he is unintentionally coming across as a creepy bastard! Innit cute?"

On the other hand, in that forest scene he and Bella had the absolute least chemistry I have ever seen, and I'm still scratching my head over the implication that Bella already liked him by that point (actually, I could never really buy her liking him, but especially in that scene, where everything about her seemed to imply that she just thought he was a creepy fuck and was still trying to get over the discovery that he was a vampire). I mean, I thought that was just going to be the revelation scene, and then they'd get to know each other or something, but then they moved right on to "I'M NOT AFRAID OF YOU AND I LOVE YOU" and my reaction was just "whut"; everything I had gathered from her (especially that pained facial expression she had been wearing every time she looked at Edward) made me think she was completely freaked out about it. Meanwhile, the dialogue was absolutely hilarious; we laughed so much that some fans approached Shadey in the break to ask him to stop laughing. (We weren't at all the only people laughing at it, though!)

Then the plot came along, and Shadey and I agree that it would have been so much more interesting if Bella had watched Edward personally tear James apart; it would have lent some credibility to all his "I'm a monster!" angst, and Bella could have been faced with some actual inner conflict in the hospital scene instead of that random fit of neediness.

Incidentally, I still think Bella should so be repelled from being his girlfriend by the fact that he is not soft and warm and cuddly. D: Boyfriends should be soft and warm and cuddly!

(just why doesn't he want her to be turned again?)

he wants them to marry first, but Bella doesn't want to marry at eighteen (despite wanting to become a vampire for the rest of eternity at eighteen?)

and yes, most of the epic meadow scene is verbatim from the book, if that gives you an idea of how horrible the book is.

also am I the only one who thinks Carlisle (the father) was by FAR the hottest of the vampires?

he wants them to marry first, but Bella doesn't want to marry at eighteen (despite wanting to become a vampire for the rest of eternity at eighteen?)

and yes, most of the epic meadow scene is verbatim from the book, if that gives you an idea of how horrible the book is.

also am I the only one who thinks Carlisle (the father) was by FAR the hottest of the vampires?

He is.

And he's one of the only characters I like from the books, even though he was obviously put there for the whole VAMPIRES ARE (NICE) PEOPLE TOO thing going on.

crossposted from another forum
me said:
Tried to read Twilight a while ago. Couldn't make it to page 100 without putting it down and returning it to the library.

Based on those less-than-100 pages I did read, I got this impression: It's a self-insertion fantasy story, plain and simple. The so-called vampire has more in common with Hercules than with Dracula. Bella is described as being strikingly similar to Meyer herself. Every boy in the school asks her out to the school dance, so she has to BS about going to Seattle in order to get them away from her (apparently she actually does go to seattle, but I didn't read that far ahead). She passes over genuinely helpful "nerd" guys in favor of the hot vampire stud, who says time and time again that he's kinda "dangerous". It's reasons like this that Maddox wrote this article (and yes, Maddox is a satirist but his articles have occasional truths to them)

And yeah, I know guys aren't twilight's audience, but I'll go write a story about a fictional version of myself getting laid with a hot, shallow demigoddess (whilst being asked out by, and rejecting, every other girl in my city - and there's over 2 million people in this city :P ) and we'll see how many girls like it.
apologies to the many females on this forum who do not fit maddox's description

So I saw the movie.

AS IF YOU COULD OUT RUN ME
AS IF YOU COULD FIGHT ME OFF

haha.
It was alright. Gave me a lot of laughs. I went to see it for the lulz, and man did it deliver them.
IF I HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT THOUGH I mainly enjoyed Edward and the other vampires to be honest. Bella's character annoys meeee..and how she was suddenly all "I LOVE YOU D:"

I'm attempting to read the book but the writing gives me a fucking headache.

Read the first book. It's alright, it's just Edward and Bella who annoy me. ;__; But Alice...she leaves which kinda sucks.

Thoughts on Twilight:

Ed is a babyface Dracula. Carlyle(or whatever his name is) actually looks like a vampire and Alice isn't half bad. It's just Bella that annoys the living hell out of me.

I have to say Twilight is an epic lulz-giver and that's about it. Seriously.
Bella is a Mary-Sue, and Edward is the bishie of all girls.
That's all I have to say about it. xD

Thoughts on Twilight:

Ed is a babyface Dracula. Carlyle(or whatever his name is) actually looks like a vampire and Alice isn't half bad. It's just Bella that annoys the living hell out of me.
Carlisle is probably my favorite character; his backstory was the only part of the book I truly enjoyed.
Carlisle's obnoxiously overpowered like many of the vampires (I guess he's been around aaaages, though) and lacks flaws like Rosalie and company have, but he's still likable somehow.

Uuh I actually don't know if I've posted here or not

The movie was not very good

Whoever played Edward was... icky :(

Back
Top Bottom