• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

you have eight ASes
EIGHT. I don't even know how that's possible and if you got an A* (or even an A) you lose the ability to say you have awful results ok

Our school counselor let us take Spanish because we are all native Spanish speakers and the test is like ridiculously easy. Our one English class is supposed to cover both Language and Literature and then all my electives were just AS level.

Also I actually kind of feel better about my results now, I just saw a bunch people here with their As and A*s and I was like "gosh I feel like a failure."

...dude how much money do you even have ;_;

I definitely do not have enough money to pay for the schools I listed :C. If I really wanted to go to my ivy leagues, I would need like a million scholarships and also a lot of financial aid. Applying is not that expensive and ultimately I just kind of want to see if I could get in.

I mean, I am not poor but that might work against me because I will get less financial aid and my parents cannot pay my way to uni. USA unis, y u so expensive? Parents, y u not rich?

I mean, I am not poor but that might work against me because I will get less financial aid and my parents cannot pay my way to uni. USA unis, y u so expensive? Parents, y u not rich?

How much are they, incidentally? Just out of interest.

Tuition is around $41,000 per year for undergraduate studies at pretty much any Ivy League. And food, dorms, etc. are not included in that number. Public universities might cost something like $20,000.

From what I have seen in this thread, UK universities are like ridiculously cheap compared to ours. I think you also get more government help or something?

Tuition is around $41,000 per year for undergraduate studies at pretty much any Ivy League. And food, dorms, etc. are not included in that number. Public universities might cost something like $20,000.

From what I have seen in this thread, UK universities are like ridiculously cheap compared to ours. I think you also get more government help or something?

For now (it went from 1000 quid to 3000 to 9000 in less than ten years). And yeah, UK students get way more government help, but way less financial help overall. Plus tuition for international students is much higher.

FWIW, Cambridge wanted 45,000USD for one year out of me.

Did you actually go, or was it just an option? o.o Also, since you said one year, I assume it was either exchange or post-grad - in the former case you pay fees according to your home institution, and in the latter there's no limit. Undergraduate would have been cheaper.

EDIT: Also, there's a lot more funding available for post-grad.

I chose not to go because $45,000 plus plane tickets and so forth. It was a postgraduate thing, yeah.

I chose not to go because $45,000 plus plane tickets and so forth. It was a postgraduate thing, yeah.

Right, in that case I should mention, so as not to scare anyone off, that undergraduate study at Cambridge (or any UK uni, really) is not nearly that expensive. I think the most expensive courses - medicine and such - are about 22,000 pounds a year? Though I admit I haven't done too much research.

(Shame you didn't go. :( Which year would it have been?)

Right, in that case I should mention, so as not to scare anyone off, that undergraduate study at Cambridge (or any UK uni, really) is not nearly that expensive. I think the most expensive courses - medicine and such - are about 22,000 pounds a year? Though I admit I haven't done too much research.

(Shame you didn't go. :( Which year would it have been?)
Yes, I don't know what they offer to undergraduates. (22,000 pounds is still $36,000, tho.)

Starting this October.

Yes, I don't know what they offer to undergraduates. (22,000 pounds is still $36,000, tho.)

Starting this October.

Still cheaper than top-tier US universities! :D And I think most courses are cheaper than that.

Still cheaper than top-tier US universities! :D And I think most courses are cheaper than that.
It's true, although many of those top-tier universities also offer really good financial packages, especially for international students. They do, after all, have money to throw around. I would say that if that's what you're shooting for, be concerned about getting in first, and if you manage that, there's a decent chance you'll be able to find a way to pay for it. All the same, I would advise against taking a lot of debt no matter where you're going, especially if it's not for an extremely marketable degree (e.g. engineering), and not discounting less-than-top-tier colleges.

That advice being aimed at ... rather than opaltiger, of course. It's too late for him. ;)

Just sent mine off!

My choices are:

Exeter (French and ab initio Italian)
Bristol (French and ab initio Italian)
Warwick (French and ab initio Italian)
Sheffield (French and ab initio Dutch with ab initio Italian)
Cardiff (French and ab initio Japanese)

Yaaay.

oh is it time to start this thread going again

iiiiii still need to do me personal statement (and get a reference ugh)
god i'm gonna be so bloody old compared to everyone else this time round. if i was a year older i'd be a mature student by the time i went which would be better i spose?? i dunno man.

applying to do computer animation this time, the more technical side of it...
and my choices are Liverpool John Moores, Leeds Metropolitan and Bradford. might not keep Bradford on there though

also
guys already in uni
did any of you /not/ live in dorms in your first year?

I know people who didn't live in halls and they said that they regret not doing it for the experience, and I know that personally most of my friends are people I lived with in first year, but it's going to really be dependent on your particular circumstances.

Also! Don't worry about the age thing! A sort of friend of mine is like 22! Another friend of mine is twenty two and he just started university this year, so!

Zephyrous Castform -- come to Cardiff and do Japanese here! I know the vice-president of the Japanese society! ... and the rest of the committee! but they're fun people! also yay Cardiff!

I need to rewrite my common app essay and then I can send it in. And then the essay for Georgetown but that will not be so hard. same schmoozing I do everywhere else.

Georgetown is not my first choice anymore. Screw IvY Leagues... I fell in loev with a liberal arts school. <3

I need to rewrite my common app essay and then I can send it in. And then the essay for Georgetown but that will not be so hard. same schmoozing I do everywhere else.

Georgetown is not my first choice anymore. Screw IvY Leagues... I fell in loev with a liberal arts school. <3

but georgetown isn't ivy league!

also aaa i need to finish common app i've only got until 1 january and it's only about half done and none of the essays are started and aaa

Well. That's not actually true; I've got several (read: three) college essays lying around from my QuestBridge application, but my mum Disapproves of reusing them, so I'm probably going to edit the crap out of one for the non-supplement essay.

Applying to Columbia and Cornell as my "I really want to go here" choices, Akron as a backup (I'm apparently pre-admitted there and would receive all the scholarships because of my ACT scores apparently? I dunno how that works, but hey.), and Carnegie-Mellon because they take the Common App and it'd be easy. Probably not going there though because they're super expensive and are like "lol upper middle class only" re: scholarships.

Yay college applications :/

I haven't even finished the main portion of the common app, let alone the five supplements (Brown, Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, Rice, and Harvey Mudd if you're curious).

Already applied early action to MIT, though, so I do have one application out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom