• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

I didn't mean to put you off; just attempting fair warning ):

I know that the London School of Economics does a spectacular Sociology course. I want to do a Master's there (but my first exam's tomorrow and I haven't studied nearly enough and aaaaaah); it's fifth for social sciences in the world (after Oxbridge, Harvard and University of CalBerkley) and a few of the most renowned contemporary sociologists in the world work there (Giddens and Beck <33)

Actually, quite a few of the London unis are really good - University College London does a good course, I think, but Sarah warns against King's College London because they have a tendency to completely screw over their non-medical students.

While, when you study sociology, you have to put up with a bit of mocking of your subject - it's regarded to be a doss subject that hardly anyone takes seriously - this has some benefits in terms of lower entry requirements - Durham, one of the best universities in the country, only wanted BBB, when nearly all their other subjects wanted AAA.

Ah, I know. <3

Hmm, I'll have to check out LSE, I don't know much about it. I had no idea it was so good with social sciences! I was actually thinking of looking more at University College London, although I feel terrified of going to uni in London. It'll be confusing enough to go live in a new place, never mind it being right in the middle of the capital... >_< London still scares me a bit, heh.

Argh, that's so annoying... it doesn't seem like Sociology is taken that way here at my highschool, but then again I don't think most people where I live could officially be called living humans with actual opinions so I'm not surprised.

I've actually been looking at Social Anthropology, do you know anything about this subject? From what I know, it interests me more than Sociology. I've got my prospectus for Edinburgh now and their course looks really good.

Alsooo, apparently I have a "contextual factor" which means I'm more likely to get into Edinburgh than people who don't have it. :D Apparently they look for people who haven't had "the chance to stand out educationally" or something and one of these factors is having no parent that went to university. I have no idea how that works but man, I really don't care 'cause it means they'd be more inclined to let me in with BBB instead of the usual AAA (expected)!

*b-b-b-bump*

I need to start applying to universities at the end of this year... and I need to go to open days this summer. Except my mum's being an arse and says she won't take me, so... I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

I'd really like to go to one in Scotland (I'm half-Scottish, used to live there, and... just generally really like the country), so I'm having my eye on Aberdeen. At first I really wanted to go to Edinburgh, but the entry requirements are probably aiming a little too high for me.

Aaaand... apparently Aberdeen has one of the best Sociology courses in the UK. :D Which is just awesome. I've never been to Aberdeen, whereas I've been to Edinburgh a few times, but I hear it's a nice place.
all of my open days were during school time and they all worked out fine
and maybe you could get the train to wherever?? your mum should take you though >:( my stepmum still took me to one when my dad was in the hospital

yeah like those guys said, all the Scots will be hatin' probably :( mostly why I never looked at any (that and I wanted to go further south)

and oh god London
from what I've heard, it's INSANE doing anything with unis there. Especially getting accommodation (one of my acquaintances has applied for a course in London and she hasn't started looking for anywhere to live yet SHE IS SO SCREWED)
Plus, never ending crowds. This one time I was there /just/ to get a train and it was so crowded ugh I like died. But then again I am pretty crowd-phobic

also I must ask
are they all bugging you to do all this like really really soon? I mean you're not even in year 13 yet from what I gather. They only told us to start looking at stuff last September :B

/RAMBLY POST sorry ;o;

Bump because meh

I've applied to Aberystwyth, Bath, Cambridge, Exeter and Warwick to do maths.
So far got offers from Aberystwyth, Exeter and Warwick and was unsuccessful with Cambridge. Bath is taking its time :(

Aberystwyth - 340 UCAS points with an A in maths
Exeter - AAA with an A in maths
Warwick -
A*A*A with the A*s in maths and further maths and a grade 2 in a STEP exam
OR
A*AA the first two being maths and further maths and a grade 1 in a STEP exam

Whaaaaat? £5000? I don't think any British university charges that much! If top-up fees are introduced then we'll be paying larger amounts, but hopefully that won't happen (vote Lib Dem!).
Oops

Bump because meh

I've applied to Aberystwyth, Bath, Cambridge, Exeter and Warwick to do maths.
So far got offers from Aberystwyth, Exeter and Warwick and was unsuccessful with Cambridge. Bath is taking its time :(

Aberystwyth - 340 UCAS points with an A in maths
Exeter - AAA with an A in maths
Warwick -
A*A*A with the A*s in maths and further maths and a grade 2 in a STEP exam
OR
A*AA the first two being maths and further maths and a grade 1 in a STEP exam

Oops

hahahahahaha I love what happened after that comment! Just goes to show you that shitty things can and will happen!

... you should totally have applied to Cardiff, it's great.

I've applied to Edinburgh and St Andrews to do social anthropology, Newcastle to do sociology and anthropology, Aberdeen and City London to do sociology. Yeah, don't ask.

So far only got an offer from City London, BBB. ): Others are taking their time. I want offers now, damnit!

So far only got an offer from City London, BBB. ): Others are taking their time. I want offers now, damnit!
I applied back in October, and it's likely to be another month before I hear from all my choices. waiting is indeed painful.

tally of results so far:
Newcastle AAB
Birmingham AAB (will probably become my insurance choice)
Oxford REJECTED (all the worse because at the interview stage I was transferred from the college I applied to onto a college I had no chance in hell of getting an offer from)

still waiting on:
York (really hope I get an offer from them, it'll hopefully be my first choice)
Bristol

oh and I'm applying to read history.

b-b-bump~

Rejected by Newcastle. Bit shit because it's one of the only ones I thought I had a real chance of getting into - plus, their minimum grades were BBB and I'm predicted like ABB/AAB so yeah.

If I get rejected by Aberdeen soon I'll be absolutely gutted. With the way things are looking, I have virtually no chance of St Andrews or Edinburgh, so I'm going to have to go to City. I don't even like City much anymore :(

Okay, so I have a question for all you people making your university applications. How did you pick which university you wanted to go to? I'm at the point where I'm supposed to know where I want to go, but honestly I have no idea where to start and I'm awfully confused about what I want and rather afraid, to be honest. :x

Okay, so I have a question for all you people making your university applications. How did you pick which university you wanted to go to? I'm at the point where I'm supposed to know where I want to go, but honestly I have no idea where to start and I'm awfully confused about what I want and rather afraid, to be honest. :x

I chose Sheffield because I had a reasonable chance of getting accepted, the university and the course are fairly highly-ranked (Sheffield is fourth in the country for biology, after Oxbridge and ICL) and I really like the university and city when I went there.

I chose Cardiff because I get given money for coming here, there was absolutely no chance of rejection and it's kind of decent (and I didn't want to go to Leeds).

i'm going to the local university ... it's a good university, and though i'd prefer to leave this town, i'm okay since i'll be learning something i think i'll like and i'll be staying with a good friend.

Well, for one thing my entry wasn't completely guaranteed -- there was absolutely no way I could fail to get into Cardiff since my offer was ridiculously low (like, all my offers were ridiculously low anyway, but Cardiff's was so low that if I hadn't gotten in it would have been a crime), whereas the offer for Leeds was the same as the one for Sheffield.

Also I only really chose Leeds because I needed a fifth choice and my friend goes there. It's decent, I guess, but I didn't want to go there very much.

(I didn't want to go to Cardiff, but now that I'm here it's k. SO that's a thing, too: even if you're not particularly thrilled with a place you'll enjoy it once you get there.)

(I didn't want to go to Cardiff, but now that I'm here it's k. SO that's a thing, too: even if you're not particularly thrilled with a place you'll enjoy it once you get there.)

Seconding this. If you miss your first choce, you might be crushed, but, from what I can tell, the university experience is pretty much the same all over, and you'll have a brilliant time and make loads of friends wherever you go. I missed my first choice (Durham), but I'm actually glad I ended up in Kent, partly because of the great friends I have here, and also because Kent's near to things. If I were in Durham, I'd never go anywhere o.o

Yeah, exactly! I was absolutely gutted when I missed my offer for Sheffield but on reflection I'm happy I've come here. Cardiff's in an okay location, it's a decent university and it's a lot closer to home than Sheffield is. I'm able to go home and visit friends often, friends can visit me and Cardiff's actually not that bad a city. Cheap, too.

You'll make friends and have a really good time regardless of where you go, you just need to have the right attitude about it!

I got into my first choice and ended up hating it
I lived on one of the shit campuses B( and I kinda left uni for a shitload of other reasons too BUT I don't know anyone who didn't like where they ended up.

and I still love Nottingham forever I will go back to live there one day but in the city not half an hour outside it...

AAA offer from York, plus I've got Birmingham AAB as my insurance... fairly good outcome all things considered (and the whole 'rejected from Oxford' thing hurt a bit less once I found out that almost everyone I knew who applied got rejected). Bristol still haven't replied. frankly, fuck them.

AAA offer from York, plus I've got Birmingham AAB as my insurance... fairly good outcome all things considered (and the whole 'rejected from Oxford' thing hurt a bit less once I found out that almost everyone I knew who applied got rejected). Bristol still haven't replied. frankly, fuck them.

I got three of my offers in March or later. It was so annoying.

ABB offer from Aberdeen. :D Which is extremely encouraging because I would quite like to go there. If I actually get these grades, I will be so happy!

The only bad thing about it is that it might be a bit too far away. :( But still.

There is NEVER too far away. I deliberately avoided London unis because I want a bit of independence from my family. :D

Well, the closest place I'm applying to is in London - I want independence too. But Aberdeen is so far away that it's going to be very difficult getting any help whatsoever from anyone if I suddenly need it, not to mention lugging all my belongings up there. :(

Back
Top Bottom