• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Vegetarianism/Veganism/etc.

I am a...

• Total voters
Isn't the whole reasoning and ethics behind the religions' rules about meat usually the same as non-religious vegetarians?

No, the Jewish don't eat pigs because once, pigs were possessed by demons, and they think that makes them all unclean and unfit to eat.

I don't buy into all this "It's okay if you're nice to the animals before killing them" stuff. If you shove all the animals into a tiny space, it leaves much more space in fields to grow crops. If you pump them full of hormones, they grow faster and you get a better meat yield. If you feed them utter crap that would have otherwise been wasted it means that the energy you put into producing meat is much more economic.

You guys who buy the free range organic dead animals are hurting the environment much more than if you'd bought the standard mass-produced battery stuff.
I'm afraid I'm going to have be quite blunt about this, Danni.

If you truly want to protect the environment, you should stop eating meat altogether. If you have such a half-hearted desire to protect the environment that you are not prepared to stop eating meat, sacrificing animal rights for the environment is quite a whimsical thing to do. Reductively, you are saying that you would rather torture animals than change your diet.

No, the Jewish don't eat pigs because once, pigs were possessed by demons, and they think that makes them all unclean and unfit to eat.

Yes, but the Jewish do eat some meat. I was talking about the entirely vegetarian religions.

Say I call this apple a pear.
I am both not calling it an apple, and calling it something else (a pear) at the same time.
edit: and if we do decide to call them something else, what would it be? certainly not meat-eaters, i can tell you.
Yes, but I'm not calling them something else at the same time.

I don't call a rubik's cube a toy, game, or puzzle (don't ask why) I'm not calling it anything else. (before you say 'you're calling it a 'rubik's cube', I'm calling the people who don't eat meat because they don't like it 'people' aren't I?)

Also this is kinda off topic anyways.

I'm afraid I'm going to have be quite blunt about this, Danni.

If you truly want to protect the environment, you should stop eating meat altogether. If you have such a half-hearted desire to protect the environment that you are not prepared to stop eating meat, sacrificing animal rights for the environment is quite a whimsical thing to do. Reductively, you are saying that you would rather torture animals than change your diet.

I don't eat meat at all; I agree completely that eating any kind of meat is a terrible waste of resources and I don't support being cruel to animals in any way, shape or form; it just annoys me when people think they're doing the environment a huge favour by eating "kinder" meats.

I don't eat meat at all; I agree completely that eating any kind of meat is a terrible waste of resources and I don't support being cruel to animals in any way, shape or form; it just annoys me when people think they're doing the environment a huge favour by eating "kinder" meats.
Oh, I see. But I think they're doing it protect animals, not the environment, typically.

I don't call a rubik's cube a toy, game, or puzzle (don't ask why) I'm not calling it anything else. (before you say 'you're calling it a 'rubik's cube', I'm calling the people who don't eat meat because they don't like it 'people' aren't I?)

That's different.
Unless you want vegetarian to be the umbrella term it is now and create two new words/phrases to cover those that like and dislike the taste of meat, you're wrong.
The words "toy," "game," and "puzzle" are umbrella terms which a Rubik's Cube happens to fall under. Calling it a toy, game, or puzzle would still make sense. "Rubik's Cube" is just a more specific term to use. An example of that would be "purple" and "lavender." "Vegetarian" is an umbrella term for people that don't eat meat for x reason; if you're saying we should remove those that don't like the taste of meat from that category, there would be no point in doing so because they still fall under the definition of vegetarian.

Of course if you want to get all radical on me and say "change the damn definition then," I say you need to get over yourself.

Look, all I'm saying is that to them, there's no difference between meat and any other food that they don't like.

You're taking this way too seriously.

Look, all I'm saying is that to them, there's no difference between meat and any other food that they don't like.

You're taking this way too seriously.

Well say you think that it's wrong to kill onions. Then there's no difference between that and meat to you.

Dangit, I voted before I read the first post! :P
Well, I voted "Other," but I'm really a meat-eater, since this thread's definition of meat-eater is someone who eats both meat and veggies.

Nobody ever said that; if they did they are a douche. You're doing the /animals/ a favor. By not supporting either group you therefore support the larger company more capable of dominating the market; the industrial ones.

Also Dannichu considering that there is enough food produced in the world to feed everyone satisfactorily I don't think that 'it is wasteful' is ever a valid argument. If you want to actually take an accurate stand (because the fact that your family owns a car is wasteful why aren't you biking or using mass transit everywhere) then you should firstmost gripe about the horrid use of what is already denoted to feeding the hungry, much of which gets 'lost' en route (for example: sudan), and then perhaps more easily argued points like the titanic amounts of corn the americans turn into ethanol which is not any better than gasoline as fuel.

Please don't spit that crap out at me. Everything we do is wasteful by your definition, so don't bring up the most controversial and not even the most helpful example.

Vyraura you must concede that there are compelling reasons for one to become a vegetarian, and compelling reasons for one to use mass transit rather than a motor, even though eating meat and motoring aren't immoral.

I eat meat. I love vegetables, and would practically die if I didn't eat them, but I can't imagine living without meat.

I don't eat a lot of meat, but what's Thanksgiving without the turkey?

Just thought I'd put this, as it relates:

sesame_street_thanksgiving.jpg

I don't see anything compelling about giving up eating meat.
The fact that it is better for the environment not to eat it. Less food has to be grown to feed a vegetarian than to feed a meat eater.

Back
Top Bottom