• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Voting USA 2012?

Aah, Marine Le Pen. Slightly less mental than her father.
(she only wants to bring back capital punishment, rather than deny the Holocaust happened)

Still, I think their system is preferable to ours.

ETA (literally in the couple of hours that've passed between me posting this):

the Tories wrecking the NHS after campaigning with promises like this just proves that they're the scumbags they've always been)

The scummiest scumbags.

Last edited:
okay that is just fucking ridiculous.
Andrew Lansley, [is] proposing that its staff be paid less if they work in poorer parts of the country.
Official documents reveal that the only exemption backed by the Department of Health would be for highly paid managers
The department, according to a submission to the NHS pay review body, believes special arrangements would be necessary for this new cohort of executives to "attract and retain high-calibre leaders and staff responsible for transforming delivery".
lansley can't be serious about this, he is actually just being a gigantic fucking troll. I really wish there was some way this was just a hoax. ;_;

Marine Le Pen might be a little cray cray, but you can't deny the the Front National had a hella catchy campaign tune.

tous tous ensemble avec marine le pen!!

The thing is, Obama is not a good choice. He's the lesser of the two evils. In presidential elections, I'd vote for him because I have no choice; any third party candidate I pick is going to lose, but I would not be happy about voting for him.

“Yes, Obama duped young people by not doing every single thing they want. So now, they’ll all vote Republican. It’s like when I want some bread, I won’t settle for half a loaf. Instead, I will have a muffin made of broken glass” - Stephen Colbert

One thing I'm really tired of is not-Americans criticizing Obama because he's not progressive by "European standards." That's because he literally can't be. The American political system is one with only two actual parties (third parties are guaranteed to lose, pretty much) and a very strong conservative base, especially since Reagan fucked everything up. And if you make any move too sudden the idiocy WILL boil over and we’ll be set back even further. The fact that even Obama’s relatively moderate campaign has pissed them off is proof of that. Obama can’t just say or do whatever he wants, because he's got to deal with a Congress that can and will blow off his attempts to move America out of the shithole it's stuck in.

Yeah, he's not perfect. Yeah, he's done a few things that weren't terribly great, but you know what? Considering America's batshit political climate he's accomplished a lot by being a long-term, pragmatic thinker and not just jumping in and trying to punch the conservatives in the face right off the bat. Against massive opposition he's slowly, but surely fixing the worst economic crisis this country has had since the Great Depression. He's been the first president who succeeded at even starting to fix our horribly fucked-up healthcare system (and we've been trying for over a hundred years). He got rid of DADT, declared DOMA unconstitutional and added a shit-ton of LGBT protections to both the US and NATO. He saved the US auto industry from tanking and, as well as other actions, saved hundreds of thousands of jobs. And you're seriously going to tell me he's a bad choice because oh no he's less than absolute perfection and made the occasional disappointing decision? The good faaaaaaar outweighs the bad here.

I'm also really fucking sick of Europeans lecturing Americans on issues of institutionalized racism but that's another story.

“Yes, Obama duped young people by not doing every single thing they want. So now, they’ll all vote Republican. It’s like when I want some bread, I won’t settle for half a loaf. Instead, I will have a muffin made of broken glass” - Stephen Colbert

One thing I'm really tired of is not-Americans criticizing Obama because he's not progressive by "European standards." That's because he literally can't be. The American political system is one with only two actual parties (third parties are guaranteed to lose, pretty much) and a very strong conservative base, especially since Reagan fucked everything up. And if you make any move too sudden the idiocy WILL boil over and we’ll be set back even further. The fact that even Obama’s relatively moderate campaign has pissed them off is proof of that. Obama can’t just say or do whatever he wants, because he's got to deal with a Congress that can and will blow off his attempts to move America out of the shithole it's stuck in.

Yeah, he's not perfect. Yeah, he's done a few things that weren't terribly great, but you know what? Considering America's batshit political climate he's accomplished a lot by being a long-term, pragmatic thinker and not just jumping in and trying to punch the conservatives in the face right off the bat. Against massive opposition he's slowly, but surely fixing the worst economic crisis this country has had since the Great Depression. He's been the first president who succeeded at even starting to fix our horribly fucked-up healthcare system (and we've been trying for over a hundred years). He got rid of DADT, declared DOMA unconstitutional and added a shit-ton of LGBT protections to both the US and NATO. He saved the US auto industry from tanking and, as well as other actions, saved hundreds of thousands of jobs. And you're seriously going to tell me he's a bad choice because oh no he's less than absolute perfection and made the occasional disappointing decision? The good faaaaaaar outweighs the bad here.

I'm also really fucking sick of Europeans lecturing Americans on issues of institutionalized racism but that's another story.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Europeans should really be allowed to criticise some of the things American politicians do when it affects them - nobody in Europe wanted the war in Iraq, the European politicians that dragged their countries into it did so because America asked them to. The world isn't a collection of independent countries, and what happens in one affects what happens elsewhere. Lots of people in the UK and nearly everyone in mainland Europe has been watching the recent French election, not because they want to be up-to-date on world affairs, but because what happens in France affects what happens in Europe and the Eurozone, and what happens there will certianly affect the UK and further-reaching places.

Please note that at the moment, very few people are pointing at Britain's politicians and saying what shining beacons of progressiveness, joy or intelligence they are.

Perhaps I've watched too much West Wing, but I don't think it's a bad thing to constantly demand perfection from politicains, least of all the most powerful man in the world. Yes, he's done an awful lot of good things, but I hope he didn't become president so everyone would congratulate him. If nothing else, you've got to admire the far-right for their sticking to their goals - they want no abortions under any circumstances, only abstenance in schools, they don't want gays to have any legal rights at all - whereas liberals are more happy to say "Well, DADT got repealed and Obama's basically filled his LGBT-rights quota now, so we'll leave him alone about gay marriage and gay adoption and trans* rights and...". He's done a lot of good things, but if you elected him, you should definitely demand more.

(and I think my little rant there is the first time a European's done anything resembling criticising Obama in the whole thread, though I could be wrong)

Last edited:
But Dannichu, he can't do those things. Forget about begin elected again, he would never be able to pass the necessary legislation because the Rebuplicans control Congress. He currently can't do jack shit, even if he didn't care about the media and elections.

But Dannichu, he can't do those things. Forget about begin elected again, he would never be able to pass the necessary legislation because the Rebuplicans control Congress. He currently can't do jack shit, even if he didn't care about the media and elections.

That doesn't mean liberals shouldn't stop pushing Obama. Maybe then come the next elections he will be able to do something. And even now, there's a symbolic value in, say, the (Democrat-controlled) Senate passing a bill, even if it gets voted down in the House.

Obama is the best president the US have had in a long time. I think the only one that was equally good that I can remember (and even he did some stupid things) was Bill Clinton.

But that said, if Obama was a candidate in my country, I still wouldn't vote for him. Anything overly right-leaning is a no in my book. But there's a world of difference between ideologically disagreeing with someone and judging the results of a president's tenure - and on the whole Obama is just a whole, whole lot better than Bush is. I consider Obama a pretty good, sane, rational president and I'm much more comfortable with the US with him in charge than I am with Bush, even though I still disagree on a myriad of issues.

But the thing is, the political system in the US just needs an overhaul. It's outdated and doesn't allow large minority groups to express their real desires and tries too hard to condense them into two main things. Plurality has its own problems of course (see: Dutch elections) but it would allow for a better and fairer playground.

By the way, just because Obama's tenure on the whole is satisfactory doesn't mean there's no room to criticise him and still want better. You should always demand perfection. Demanding perfection is how you achieve better results.

I consider Obama a pretty good, sane, rational president and I'm much more comfortable with the US with him in charge than I am with Bush, even though I still disagree on a myriad of issues.

I remember the day Bush was elected despite not having any idea who he was before then; I got home from primary school to find my dad listening to the radio with the gravest face I'd ever seen him wear. I asked what was up and he said "the most powerful man on earth is a madman".

As soon as he proposes a bill to help people, the Republicans and Media practically scream "COMMUNISM!" and immediately the bill loses favor.

Also, a fun fact: Republicans, due to their constant crusade against womens rights to birth control, lost a major percentage of female voters. Huzzah, I say!

I remember the day Bush was elected despite not having any idea who he was before then; I got home from primary school to find my dad listening to the radio with the gravest face I'd ever seen him wear. I asked what was up and he said "the most powerful man on earth is a madman".
i dont like this attitude

pretened that george bush and the republicans are mad. that just deligitimatises them as targets. make people tink their mad. then they're not as threatening...

now think they're rational actors. bush acts in his own intetrests. isn't that far, far more worrying. people who have convinced themselves that their actions are right. that is far more scary than just a madman.

al quiadia is more scary when hes a human enemy with rational motives and with a extreme way of achieving these objectives. not when hes a rich guy who wants more money and knows how to get it,

also remember. bush had a debree from yale. he aint stupid. bro knows what hes doing. reducing his intelligence makes him stronger. like gandalf!

Bush *is* mad, and if we can get it into people's heads that he is, we should be able to grotesquely ignore anything he does and never vote for the cunt again.

The GOP is full of blithering senile ancient conservative dummies. That should be understood.

It's unfair to put too much blame on Obama for the lack of progress he's shown regarding his legislative agenda. Yeah, he had control of the House for a while, but during that time the Republicans did absolutely everything to stonewall his policies. His bills usually passed in the House -- but the Republicans abused the filibuster so much in the Senate and blocked basically every last thing he tried to pass. It's not that he wanted to compromise, it's that if he wanted to do anything he had to give the Republicans all sorts of concessions. It's a miracle health care got through.

And yeah, that is problematic and yeah, I think he should have been way more aggressive. But to say he "didn't really take advantage of it" is unfair.

Bush *is* mad, and if we can get it into people's heads that he is, we should be able to grotesquely ignore anything he does and never vote for the cunt again.

The GOP is full of blithering senile ancient conservative dummies. That should be understood.

Firstly, please don't use the word 'cunt' as a slur? It's rather misogynistic.

Second, I have to agree with goldenquagsire. As someone who has legitimate mental issues I find it rather insulting to have people write Bush (or other people) off as 'insane' just because he has differing opinions. He has no mental issues that I'm aware of, he just thinks differently than you do. That does not make him 'insane'. Yes, he did some seriously fucked up things. He's not a great person. He's not mentally ill.

I am too young to vote, but I agree with opaltiger...

It's unfair to put too much blame on Obama for the lack of progress he's shown regarding his legislative agenda.

While I don't agree with everything Obama's done, he is the "lesser of the two evils." Obama had a handful or so promises during he presidential campaign, and part of them have been fuffiled. While not the best argument, WikiAnswers has an article about this. *Cotains personal opinons of the answerer

I don't agree that he should've been elected in the first place. After four years, he has done things with Health Care, foriegn relations, and the war on terrorism. Seeing what he has done with these things, I would like to see him relected. He has done these things in an above average way and would deserve a second term. All we can hope for is that he continues on this path if relected. If defeated, I pray that America realises their mistake soon, sensing the canidate that is likely to oppose Obama has refused to show tax records and has many, upon many, offshore accounts.

Vaguely off-topic, but I don't think we really need two US politics threads: do you guys think Hillary Clinton would have done better?

Vaguely off-topic, but I don't think we really need two US politics threads: do you guys think Hillary Clinton would have done better?

My mom did, and I sided with her at first. My mom did because of her experience with the office already. But since, I've hoped, but because she never made it we can never know. I still hope and belive that she could have.

Back
Top Bottom