• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Wayfarer Comms

Jackie Cat

A cat who writes stories.
Heartache staff
Pronoun
they or she
...Hello, everyone?
Heroic spirits, can you hear me?

Ah! It works, now. A wonderful development.

Hello, Wayfarers. With the party strength at its current level, I should now be able to maintain a fairly reliable connection between each of you and myself as a means of communication. Please do bear in mind that I must relay all messages, so if you use this facility too readily I will become less able to give prompt responses myself. Even so, this should prove to be a useful asset!

If you should ever wish to send a message, and you are within range of the network, just subvocalise what you wish to say with the intended recipient strongly in mind. I will pick up on the thought, and relay it as a message! It is not quite like maintaining a conversation – more like taking turns listening to prerecorded messages!

Please make best use of this utility, everyone!

~ Betelgeuse

[Ch04] ~ Wayfarer Comms
Hello, this is still Betelgeuse speaking! I believe I should give everyone an update on recent events and current objectives.

All evidence points to an organisation called Cipher being responsible for creating the Shadow pokémon we have encountered recently. We believe their base to be underground in the town of Blaguarro, and it is of particular importance that we prepare to go there and put a stop to their operations. I estimate that the best time to launch such a mission may be between two and four weeks' time from now. Until then, we should do everything possible to prepare for that eventuality.

[ ] Chapter Objective: Stop Cipher.

Several Wayfarers recently encountered the Midnight Lycanroc known as the Wolf, who is in fact a former human by the name of Seth Lycas. He is from the same world as Cipher, and has been fighting them for some time. He is suffering from acute Shadow corruption but apparently retains his lucidity. He may be willing to give more information about Cipher if some of us were to contact him again.

[ ] Campaign Objective: Receive more intelligence from Seth.

Seth says that he receives messages identifying Cipher agents and other instructions from an entity called Powehi. This is the entity that has been sending the party messages in their dreams whenever they make contact with Shadow energy. I am attempting to learn how to monitor and interact with this energy, but I have not yet been able to monitor any such communications. Please let me know if you learn anything further!

[ ] Campaign Objective: Tell Betelgeuse about interactions with Powehi.

Some of you have learned that there exists a counterpart to Shadow-type energy, its natural opposite. This is 'Radiance', an energy of which I believe I am largely composed... It may prove decisive in the conflict to come that the Wayfarers are able to make use of this energy, and our best lead on getting access to it is the Saint known as the Wandering Light. One other potential source of information about Radiance is the monastery alled Obstine Abbey, the monks of which are said to meditate on "Saints' light".

[ ] Campaign Objective: Locate the Wandering Light, Zeraora Luz.
[ ] Campaign Objective: Learn to wield the power of the Radiant-type.
[ ] Campaign Objective: Visit Obstine Abbey.

This information was obtained from the chieftain of the Escarpa Clan, Luxray Sierra. Teams of Wayfarers were able to persuade Sierra to stand down her warriors from their war footing for the time being, and defer their mission to demolish the Silver rail bridge in favour of working alongside other local groups to oppose Cipher. However, as time passes, Cipher will grow stronger and most certainly develop countermeasures against our plans. We should prepare to fight them in a purposeful manner. Other local groups that may assist us in the conflict include the Ranger Union, the Sun Wardens, and the civilian residents of Blaguarro.

[ ] Campaign Objective: Train and prepare to fight Cipher.
[ ] Campaign Objective: Make more allies who can help oppose Cipher.
[ ] Campaign Objective: Improve relations with and coordinate with our allies against Cipher.

In addition to becoming stronger yourselves, and establishing firm alliances, another essential matter is to strengthen my connection sufficiently that I can maintain a combat network even as far as Blaguarro and with Shadow-type energy disrupting it. It is possible to boost my connection in a part of the world by establishing an anchor to the heart of a Mystery Dungeon. One such anchor exists at the entrance to Silver Ravine, and I estimate that I will need at least two more similar anchors in the wider region in order to function adequately in the Cipher base called Terminal Two. There may be other benefits to creating such anchor points, too!

[ ] Campaign Objective: Establish additional MD anchor points. (0/2)

Good luck, everyone. I have faith in you all.

Okay, message, message. This is kind of like something back home...

I'll keep this as short as I can! This is Aige, and I don't know everyone that well, but I have been around. I'm a Roggenrola.

You might have heard this, but there was just recently a jailbreak from the Frontier Town facility! It looks like Ignatius escaped as well as the Drapion that attacked some of us recently. Myself and a small group investigated and coincidentally, I happened upon the probable source of the escape when we split up.

I say probable because I ended up tailing a Zweilous and what appeared to be a Charmeleon making their way out of town. Ignatius was nowhere to be seen, but the Zweilous possibly had a way of transporting them via a shadow mass, though I can't make any guesses as to the specifics.

They were likely headed into the dungeon located at the Grand Quarry, just a little ways off the construction site of the station. They did not figure out that I was following them, so we have the advantage in that regard.

Um, a few things I noticed- in relation to what we've encountered already. If the Charmeleon was the same one that attacked some of the group some time ago, this time they were relatively stable and self aware. They seemed to have an amicable relationship with the Zweilous, but not necessarily an equal one. There were some other perhaps non important specifics, if anyone wants to know, I'll explain.

In summary, Ignatius is gone from jail and was taken by this Zweilous Charmeleon pair for unknown reasons. The jail was attacked by shadow powers and there were a few injuries.

I think that should cover it! If I remember anything else, I'll let everyone know.

Koa? Not the best at recognizing voices. But yes, I’m alright, thank you for your concern!

I did not see any Drapion while I was pursuing, nor any signs of one having been around. As far as talking though, two things stand out. At one point, I was almost discovered, and the Zweilous expressed concern about being found. Combined with their behavior, it’s a safe bet that they’re not in a position to act just yet.

As for the other, it might sound silly, but it bears repeating. The Charmeleon mentioned being bored to which the Zweilous responded that they would ‘find someone’ for them later. I don’t think we need to bother guessing what that entails, but I’d say keep an eye out for any missing pokemon around the town.

Hey, Betel. Can you make a little addendum to the part about Seth? First off, he told us to keep his name out of public chatter. So, please ask the others not to talk about Seth around Frontier Town. I think we came to an agreement with him that our official story is that the Wolf's true identity was a zoroark Cipher agent framing Seth with his illusions. The zoroark's dead and we're claiming the bounty.

I've left Fein's body off at the coroner's office and some of us will be meeting with Lucien soon. If anyone gets testy about the specifics, just direct 'em to one of us who was there last night, I guess?

I say probable because I ended up tailing a Zweilous and what appeared to be a Charmeleon making their way out of town. Ignatius was nowhere to be seen, but the Zweilous possibly had a way of transporting them via a shadow mass, though I can't make any guesses as to the specifics.

Charmeleon? Oh, maybe that was Owen!

(A pause)

Oh, this is Togetic Grace! Hi everyone!

Good to see you’re doing okay, Grace! While there’s a high chance that the Charmeleon might be Owen as others have been saying, I do want to note that neither of them ever said their names, so even if there’s only a 1 percent chance, we should keep in mind that it might be someone else!

This is Aige again, just saying.

Mhynt here. Owen and Alexander working together is a worst-case scenario back home, but here we have the benefit of them being weaker. This world would've been doomed otherwise...

Being bored is strange. The Shadows might be calling his need to fight. But... he can talk. He has at least that. He's not...

Sorry. I don't know how effective I will be facing Owen like this. But I will provide you with information about them if I can... But it's strange that Drapion isn't with him, unless he is hiding nearby, or went ahead...

Seth says that he receives messages identifying Cipher agents and other instructions from an entity called Powehi. This is the entity that has been sending the party messages in their dreams whenever they make contact with Shadow energy. I am attempting to learn how to monitor and interact with this energy, but I have not yet been able to monitor any such communications. Please let me know if you learn anything further!
Hold on, okay. We all had this big lucid dream where Powehi talked to us on a beach by the shadow ocean or whatever. You catch any of that? He said he's fighting Cipher and going to make us immune to having our 'hearts closed completely', and that the previous human hero was named Starr Sakari. And he also said that you're 'some poor substitute for a Voice of Life' and our summoning is a mistake that's weakening the fabric of the universe. You know anything about that?

Hello, everyone. This is Betelgeuse speaking.

I have given what Dave shared with us some consideration.

It is time I was honest with you all about something.
✅ Campaign Objective: Tell Betelgeuse about interactions with Powehi.

As I have mentioned before, I... do not know exactly what I am.

I know that I am... dissimilar to ordinary pokémon. I do not breathe, or sleep, or eat, or have a beating heart. Instead, I am present in the Astral Plains, I can influence the energy of the world where its walls are adequately thin, and I know things I have never learnt for myself simply by tapping into the noosphere – that is, the informational and conceptual layer of the world.

I at no point have had any knowledge of an entity called Powehi, but now that you have said his name, I know that it is the name of a dark and ancient intelligence that acts upon this world.

I never learnt the name Starr Sakari, but now that I know it, I am certain it is the name of the hero who bid me summon you for help.

I was never familiar with the term 'Voice of Life', but now that I have heard it, I am now aware of its meaning...

I have an incomplete knowledge of Forlasan cosmology. Some things feel innate to my understanding of the world, or they are matters on which I have thought to look to the noosphere for answers. A 'Voice of Life' is in fact the gestalt will of a world. Many worlds have them. All Forlasan life ought to be linked to a Voice of Life, in fact. But if there is one on Forlas, I do not know them.

It is a world's Voice of Life who is nominally responsible for summoning aid from off-world in times of crisis. As I have done, with you. But I do not have any real knowledge or experience of these things, and indeed...

...I also have no idea how much offworld interference is safe, before a world suffers ill effects.

I know that I am... dissimilar to ordinary pokémon.
What do you have, then? There's gotta be something tangible to go off. For all I know, you're artificial like me.

Powehi said Forlas' Voice of Life is some entity named Auriga. They used to work together but seemed to have had some sort of falling out. And I doubt he's even willing to verify if she's safe.

Well, I do not have a physical form, as such. Tangibility is a quality I seem to lack.

The Forlasan noosphere can tell me many things, but I do not think it can teach me to contact Auriga, if that were both possible and advisable.

I would assume that if Powehi is speaking of her in the present tense, that this implies she yet survives. Unless, that is, he were mistaken or untruthful...

I am beginning to wonder if he was neither mistaken nor untruthful about my being a... poor substitute.

I am beginning to wonder if he was neither mistaken nor untruthful about my being a... poor substitute.

Bee, you stop that right now. You did what you thought was right, and you did it at someone else's request in order to help them and your world. And you've been doing your best to help us, too, and we're going to continue to rely on you. I'm glad you're on our side.

Ah, it seems that more elegant communications have finally been sorted as I had hoped. Now, there is something very important I need to ask. Has anyone had any recent contact with the zweilous Alexander and, if you did, did anything strange happen during it? Be honest, because the sooner we find out, the quicker we will be able to work.

Not to mention, the truth always likes to bring itself out at the worst of times if you try to avoid it...

Bellatrix -

I really wanted to talk about this sort of stuff in person, but things have been moving so fast lately. A few people know already. It's my fault.

Don't tell Wes. I want him to hear it from me.

I'm sorry.

I see. I want specifics. Tell me what happened and do you know of anyone else who may of had any similar encounters? The rest of the team should also know of this.

Back
Top Bottom