• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Questions

IndigoClaudia

The Fool
Pronoun
She/Fae
So let me explain things.

I was an Idiot. I was so Naïve. I thought everything would work out great. But then i realized unless you are a weird mom with a coaching blog that also sells things, Wix will not work for making you websites. Literally every feature on it revolves around business and i have to add so many third party things into it.

Now I've decided to take it off wix and start HTML but i have four problems

1. How the Heck do i get it off wix? (Without individually downloading EVERY PAGE ON MY WHOLE WEBSITE.
2. I know nothing about HTML. What do i do?
4. What do i need to use to edit and publish my website with HTML

Also it would be cool to have a style picker, but first things first.

UPDATE:
This Half-*ss answer is what i get when i google it but maybe you tricky webmasters can help prove it wrong.
Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 9.12.36 AM.png
As a workaround i can print it. Wow i can F-ing screenshot it if i like!?!?!

But then i realized unless you are a weird mom with a coaching blog that also sells things, Wix will not work for making you websites.

My friend's mum is a web designer, and this sounds like something she'd say, haha.

Have you tried opening up your web browser's inspector and using to to find the HTML for your articles? I don't know how many you have - if you have a lot, this approach will be tedious - but you can copy-paste your article's HTML from the inspector into a plain text file and save it that way.

i’m not really sure how wix is structured exactly, but i think there’s a pretty good chance that downloading your page isn’t going to be that helpful for you, especially if wix has been giving you issues already.

site builders like wix are useful because they come prepackaged with some heavy-duty layouts and scripts and whatnot to make your sites look nice without putting any of the burden of actually programming those things on you, but if you download your pages, it’s likely that most of those styles and scripts won’t be coming with you, as they’re stored in wix, not on your pages. they’re the main benefit of using wix, after all, so it won’t be convenient to move your site off their platform but keep all its features.

if you’re thinking of building your site the old-fashioned way anyway, i think that’s a great idea, but it’s probably best that you fully commit to it and start from scratch. have you looked at butterfree’s html guide? it’s a really good one! neocities is also an excellent place to store your first personal website if you’re looking for a good host.

I just spent the last three hours on butterfree's HTML guide actually. I figure i can just copy everything i've written on my website, and then edit it with HTMl. Thanks for the recommendation of a HTML website host, i'll go check it out in a bit here.

Update: I started using Neocities. Thanks for the recommendation, this will definitely work. For now, at least.

Last edited:
I feel like a whiny toddler. I have yet another thing to be curious about.

I can't figure out how to do something in butterfree's free layout.

I'm using a CSS stylesheet, and so the style is like in the HTML code style thingy and when i get the style from the stylesheet everything falls apart. (if you can understand what i'm trying to say here). How would i do that?

</style>
<title> Indigo's Corner</title>

<style type="text/css">

body {
color: #000000;
font-family:Verdana
font-size: 10pt;
background: Lavender;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

a:link, a:visited {
text-decoration:underline;
color:#000000;
}

a:active, a:hover {
text-decoration:underline;
color:#888888;
}

img {
border:0px;
}

#header {
text-align:center;
height:150px;
}

#header img {
margin:auto;
}

#container {
position:relative;
width:100%;
}

#content {
margin-left:145px;
margin-right:145px;
padding:5px;
}

#leftmenu {
position:absolute;
left:0;
top:0;
width:130px;
text-align:left;
}

#rightmenu {
position:absolute;
right:0;
top:0;
width:130px;
text-align:right;
}

#leftmenu ul, #rightmenu ul {
list-style-type:none;
margin:0;
padding:0 5px;
}

</style>

I don't want to use a style in the HTML i want to use my CSS stylesheet, but when i use it it just screws up the layout.

UPDATE: this was solved.

Last edited:
How do import a custom font? I downloaded the TTF files for the fonts and i've tried a couple things on the CSS stylesheet but it all failed. Has anyone actually done this before so they can show me how to do it?

Here's my code in case i'm doing something wrong (Which i am)
@font-face {

font-family: FiraSans;
src: url(FiraSans.woff);
}

Last edited:
i think your best bet for importing fonts is usually to pull them directly from google, rather than downloading them onto your site and serving them that way. the best way to do this is to include this line in your stylesheet:
CSS:
@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Fira+Sans&display=swap');
after that, you can use the font name in a css rule basically as normal:
CSS:
font-family: 'Fira Sans', sans-serif;
here's a more in-depth guide if you'd like.

thanks.
Wait now it's saying i can't import it?
OK now i can but it's not working? aaah screw it i'll just look at the in-depth-guide.

Last edited:
Still not working. I don't get it. I tried that. I imported it with HTML, i linked to it... it's just not working.

UPDATE:
I DID IT!!!! MY WEBSITE LOOKS AWESOME NOW!!

Last edited:
XtJMo9Q.png

It's not quite done yet. But it's getting there, if anyone noticed, i used butterfree's layout.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how i could do a stylepicker (without PHP, my website host doesn't support it).

I've made the default mew style as well as a Jirachi style, but i don't know how one would switch between the two.

sure. you should be able to add a styleswitcher with javascript, which neocities supports. try this guide out and let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom