• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Well, You Thought Wrong

Speaking of gym leader genders, i still haven't figured out what Falkner is. :(

Falkner is a guy. :D

Edit: And Lucian is a guy as well.

I myself had a little trouble determining Falkner, so I guessed that he was male, and somehow proved myself right, although I forgot how.

I also thought that in R/S/E, the stars for a Pokemon's condition could disappear; I was wondering why my sister's Adamant Feebas didn't evolve, even though she wouldn't eat any more Blue PokeBlocks. Back then, we didn't know that natures did anything and so we were clueless that Adamant didn't like dry food. A different friend told us that it just wasn't hungry anymore, and it would get hungry later.

I used a master ball on Ursaring once. Before I had my own game, someone let me play theirs and with each KO I thought I captured the Pokémon. When I gave it back to the guy I said, "I caught you a ton of Ursaring!"

Also, I thought that Latias and Latios were an evolution chain. In similar legendary "evolution" chains, my friend told me she heard of Ho-Oh having an evolution called "Ho-Hah" or something like that when RS came out. I actually thought it was true.

EDIT: Oh, and when I was training in the Lost Tower in either Gold or Silver, I saw a shiny Rattata. I thought, "Oh, Rattata can be green?" (it looked green to me, okay?) and figured I'd probably see one again and KO'd it. And up until recently I thought that water was super effective against steel type.

Edit: And Lucian is a guy as well.

Ah, with the long hair, it was a little difficult to figure out.

Another mistake I've made commonly was believing certain Pokemon were third gen when they were really second. I played Ruby before I played Silver. I was pleasantly surprised when I found a Skarmory in Silver.

When I was little, I always watched the Pokemon TV show, and because Rapidash appeared in the title thing with the theme music, I thought it was an evolved form of Rapidash called Searching coz it appeared when the theme song was at the 'searching far and wide' bit.

I also thought Mew evolved into Mewtwo coz my friend told me.

But this was when there were only 150 Pokemon and i was about 5.

Back when I was completely new to pokémon, I got this used Blue game from a mate o' mine. Instead of starting anew, I attempted to continue his game. I was told that if your Pokémon learns how to Fly, you can easily hop around from town to town. Silly little eight-year-old me spent AGES trying to level up a Farfetch'd to teach it Fly XD

I don't get how people manage to think Falkner, Bugsy, Roark or Lucian look girly in the least. o.O Even their names are clearly masculine. (Well, "Bugsy" is androgynous, I suppose, but he still looks like a guy.) Having shoulder-length hair really doesn't make you a girl.

Well, in the R/B/Y days, I thought that the Special stat had to do with your chance of inducing status effects, with Attack applying to all damaging attacks. Even early after getting Gold, I still thought that was how Special Attack and Special Defense worked, until I read Donald's FAQs on GameFAQs and learned the truth. I also thought that when, say, Tail Whip was used on me, it permanently lowered my Pokémon's Defense by one, and was worried that if it happened too often my Pokémon would become really weak.

Because my cousins and I apparently had the strangest luck in the world, we all repeatedly caught Pokérus but never once so much as saw a shiny (aside from the red Gyarados, of course, but that doesn't actually count; I thought it was just red because of the Red Scale). When I first talked to Nurse Joy and she told me there were microscopic bugs crawling around on my Pokémon, I thought something had glitched up on my game and almost turned it off.

I also thought that when, say, Tail Whip was used on me, it permanently lowered my Pokémon's Defense by one, and was worried that if it happened too often my Pokémon would become really weak.

I thought that too. I also thought that rock types were immune to electric type attacks, and that a shiny pokemon was the alpha male or something.

Back in the R/B/Y days I could've sworn that Lickitung could learn Lick. Apparently not...

I don't know, Butterfree. Bugsy's face looks feminine to me. I still can't believe he's actually a guy. Let's hope his 4th Gen sprite is better.

Well, I think they almost intended us to mistake Bugsy for a girl... at least the manga did :p

I've never had problem telling a character's gender (Lucian? wth?)... but Bugsy... :/

Actually, there's one more.

Saturn.

Saturn is a he.

What.

Lucian's over-world sprite is what did it for me. And I've really never heard the name Lucian before. It wasn't that overly obvious to me.

I also used to think that status changes didn't fade after exiting a battle, so whenever I battled a lot of Zigzagoon (who used Growl) at the beginning of Sapphire, I would always rush to the Pokemon center with my Treecko thinking, Poor thing... I need to get its Attack back up.

I don't get how people manage to think Falkner, Bugsy, Roark or Lucian look girly in the least. o.O Even their names are clearly masculine. (Well, "Bugsy" is androgynous, I suppose, but he still looks like a guy.) Having shoulder-length hair really doesn't make you a girl.

Well, in the R/B/Y days, I thought that the Special stat had to do with your chance of inducing status effects, with Attack applying to all damaging attacks. Even early after getting Gold, I still thought that was how Special Attack and Special Defense worked, until I read Donald's FAQs on GameFAQs and learned the truth. I also thought that when, say, Tail Whip was used on me, it permanently lowered my Pokémon's Defense by one, and was worried that if it happened too often my Pokémon would become really weak.

Because my cousins and I apparently had the strangest luck in the world, we all repeatedly caught Pokérus but never once so much as saw a shiny (aside from the red Gyarados, of course, but that doesn't actually count; I thought it was just red because of the Red Scale). When I first talked to Nurse Joy and she told me there were microscopic bugs crawling around on my Pokémon, I thought something had glitched up on my game and almost turned it off.

YOU MEAN BUGSY FROM THE GSC SECOND GYM?!?!

I was sure its a female!

I believed, until 2006, that fire has a hidden super-effectiveness against poison.

Well, I think they almost intended us to mistake Bugsy for a girl... at least the manga did :p

I've never had problem telling a character's gender (Lucian? wth?)... but Bugsy... :/

Actually, there's one more.

Saturn.

Saturn is a he.

What.

...SATURN IS A GUY?!? When will the madness end!?

In Blue, I spent weeks levelling up my Haunter thinking he'll evolve. He was around level 64 or so before I gave up and started a new game. I must have been 5 or 6 when I did that.
Also in blue, I thought for years that Farfetch'd evolves into Doduo and that Geodude evolves into Onix.
I used to think Steel was weak to water (and I still believe it should be!) back in G/S/C.
Finally, in Sapphire, thought that giving a Pokémon a nickname would help it in contests.

Last edited:
Bugsy being a girl (I SWEAR TO GOD), Roark being a girl, and DRAPION'S TYPE.

I STILL DON'T KNOW.

Back
Top Bottom