• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished the book Dragon Heir It's part of a series starting with The Warrior Heir
I've read this series and greatly enjoyed it. =3 I thought Chima did an excellent job creating the fantasy in the world as well as tying the characters into it. Her characters inspired me to improve my own stories' characters as well.

I'm currently reading Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind and rereading The Merchant of Death in the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale. Wizard's First Rule is pretty nicely written so far, although I don't think the book will have quite as much of an impact on me as it could have (I've seen the TV show based on it, and granted the TV show is not the same as the book, but I know some things about the book that I wouldn't know now if I hadn't seen the show).

Pretty soon I'm going to start reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens for my upcoming English class as well. Normally I'm not overly fond of books I have to read in English, but I'm a little excited about this one (probably mostly because I bought my own copy of the book and it smells nice xD...).

I should be reading The Blithdale Romance by Nathaniel Hawthorn for my English class next year

But I'm reading Oedipus the King for English.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but it's published by Filiquarian Publishing, LLC
Seems to be an obscure 1912 translation by someone called "F. Storr." I hope it's not too inaccurate or old-fashioned.

It reads like Shakespeare. Is it supposed to?
Well, it's supposed to be in Greek. But, yes, since Oedipus is a verse drama, a faithful translation will be like a Shakespeare play, at least superficially. Your translation is so old, though, I found it freely available online. I only had a quick look at it, but he uses "ye" and "thee" and so on, which modern translators never use. The style is obviously dated and I should think scholarship has improved enormously since 1912, when it was published. Read it if you like, but there are much better translations around, and they are probably easier to read.

Still getting through Wuthering Heights, slowly but surely. To think I could be reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the third time instead.

To think I could be reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the third time instead.

Three times!? I barely got through that book once! That book played on my one true fear, hostile, totalitarian governments. I probably would have made it, maybe, three seconds in the U.S.S.R.

To think I could be reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the third time instead.

Three times!? I barely got through that book once! That book played on my one true fear, hostile, totalitarian governments. I probably would have made it, maybe, three seconds in the U.S.S.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom