• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robinson Crusoe. My mother was startled by the amount of classics I had never read, so this is my first. It's pretty good, and it has good arguments for theism inside. :evil grin:

Wordsworth Classics use translations that are out of copyright, I believe. Their translation of Dante is from 1805. Their translation of Homer appears to be by George Chapman, who died in 1634. It has the distinction of being the translation which Keats wrote a poem about, but as you might guess, it is old, and not exactly scholarly.

Yeah, I looked it up and apparently it wasn't the best. For that and other reasons, I got the Qur'an instead. Also for a fiver.

I just finished two books today (The Forever War, Joe Haldeman, and Voices, Ursula K. Le Guin). Now I'm going to start one of a huge stack I have waiting. If anyone would care to help me choose:

Last Argument of Kings, Joe Abercrombie
The Scarab Path, Adrian Tchaikovsky
Childhood's End, Arthur C. Clarke
The Last Unicorn, Peter S. Beagle
Warriors, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
Tongues of Serpents, Naomi Novik

My stack: it is big.

Also still reading Kraken, by China Mieville.

Read Tongues of Serpents first! Then The Last Unicorn.

I remember you saying you might read the Temeraire series sometime but I never knew you actually started to. :o I finished Tongues of Serpents today.

Childhood's End is the only book I've read on that list. I thought it was pretty cool, but not the best thing I've ever read.

I finished reading my summer assignment and Hitchhiker's Guide and am now reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. Then I have Foundation, and then I'm out of nerd books for the time being. :c

I am finally done with that overly long winded, pompus, drawn out and moody piece of shit literature known at The Blithedale Romance. Up yours Nathaniel Hawthorn.

Now on to O Pioneers by Willa Cather which I hope will be a bit more bearable. And I have to finish it by Tuesday!

I just finished The Inferior by Peadar O Guilín. It was one of the most interesting fantasy books I have read in a very long time. Definitely going to keep an eye out for the sequels.

I'm also reading The Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap, and beginning to reread The Reality Bug by DJ MacHale.

Pretty soon I'm going to start reading Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken.

The Ukrainians: Unexpected Nation
The New Penguin Russian Course
Living Language Russian
Гарри Поттер и Орден Феникса
Kiffe Kiffe Demain

Books I want to read:
Temeraire
Anathem (looked it up on opal's recommendation and it seemed like the kind of book I'm into)
Scott Pilgrim series (fff okay, it's a comic. i am still very interested in reading it)

I like how most of my books now are non-fiction. :o

Well , I'm reading a bunch of books for school, but as far as personal enjoyment, a book called Crime Files: Four Minute Forensic Mysteries. It's funny, as well as scientific.
some of the funny parts:

Mike(answering a phone): Mike's Morgue, You kill em' we chill em', Mike speaking.

Gibson: What does CSI stand for?
Wes: Cool Studs Incorporated?

Also some of the school books I'm reading
The Red Badge of Courage
The Jungle
The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn
etc,etc

Never Make A Promise You Can't Break - How To Succeed in Irish Politics by Gene Kerrigan and The Art of War by Sun Tzu. My Qur'an was taken from me by my cousin :/ He was drunk and has a blackbelt in judo, there wasn't much I could do.

Finally finished reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. I started reading it last summer and I got halfway through it and then got bored. I have other books I've bought that are just standing on my shelf, looking at me unhappily. I should tackle them sometime. I can definitely finish And Then There Were None in an afternoon; The Count of Monte Cristo might take more time but I think I'd already read it once in Spanish (for a fifth grade book report thing, lol) so I should know the plot and stuff.

So after that... I should finally finish Wuthering Heights. I have way too many unread books. A lot of them are like crappy fiction I got for free from the school library (hurray, giving away old outdated books! and pulp fiction!).

Still reading the ones in my previous post, btw. Halfway through Harry Potter!

O Pioneers was actually a lot better than The Blithdale Romance. It's like Willa Cather did Nathaniel Hawthorn's job better. Odd

I also read Syren by Angie Sage, from the Septimus Heap series. Pretty good. I have to say I love her subtle use of humor in those.

Now I'm re-reading The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper, which reminds me of a combination of CS Lewis and Tolkien, and far less drawn out than either. But apparently NO ONE has ever read the book, even though the penultimate book, The Grey King, is a NEWBURY MEDAL WINNER. Gosh!

Now I'm re-reading The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper, which reminds me of a combination of CS Lewis and Tolkien, and far less drawn out than either. But apparently NO ONE has ever read the book
I think I've read that, but remember literally nothing about it.

Last edited:
Reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Definitely very... of its time (I honestly can't stand copious amounts of description. Dickens, on the other hand, seems very content to describe everything). I can't find any plot so far - there have been many small plots resolved here and then, but I'm only just now starting to get the hints of an overarching conflict, and that was after having looked at the blurb on the back of my book. The grammar is a pain because Dickens uses commas in a way that makes reading rather confusing and there are also weird phrasings that throw me for a loop. It's readable, though.

I'm interested in finishing it because there are some things that I am interested in finding out and now and then Dickens makes some sort of witty comment that I really enjoy (I liked the one about the owls). I've yet to see how he was an "undisputed genius" but I'm not even halfway through the book so I should give it a chance.

Halfway through Harry Potter. Slowly but surely I will finish it. Slowly. Definitely slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom