• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read an actual book in ages, I've mostly been beefing up on history books for the sake of my UCAS form. :(

Currently I'm reading Geoffrey Elton's The Practice of History. It's actually quite witty in places and very interesting, although if you're not into historiography then it probably isn't going to be your cup of tea. It's also mercifully short.

Re-reading The Saga of Darren Shan, then I'm going to give Mein Kampf another go.
I've heard that quite apart from the odious politics, Mein Kampf is very poorly-written.

My family have a copy from the 1930s in the original German that my dead inherited from a relative; I've never thought to read it though.

I haven't read an actual book in ages, I've mostly been beefing up on history books for the sake of my UCAS form. :(

Currently I'm reading Geoffrey Elton's The Practice of History. It's actually quite witty in places and very interesting, although if you're not into historiography then it probably isn't going to be your cup of tea. It's also mercifully short.

I've heard that quite apart from the odious politics, Mein Kampf is very poorly-written.

My family have a copy from the 1930s in the original German that my dead inherited from a relative; I've never thought to read it though.

Have you read The Decline and Fall? :o

I've read some of it, and it is certainly not a well-written book. My copy comes with oodles of hilarity because the footnotes inform me of places where Hitler blatantly lies about himself.

I just got a few books on maths which I'm reading. I'll probably read them all but it seems that any book that isn't about maths (or Harry Potter!) I simply drop them D:

There a quite a few novels I've started but never finished so when it comes to fiction I keep to short stories because I'm stupid like that.

opal could read that with his eyes closed.
but I thought science was his thing...

can't we have our fiercely delineated subject ghettoes? I'm perfectly happy to leave quantum mechanics well alone as long as scientists steer clear of whig interpretations. :(

I'm rereading the Pendragon books by DJ MacHale, leading up to the final three books that I haven't read yet. I'm reading Black Water right now.

As part of my crusade to read the vast number of unread books on my shelves, I am reading The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. I got it ages ago and probably would have enjoyed it more when I was younger, but I'm too stubborn to stop reading it now.

And for my Wars class, I'm reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. I can already tell it's going to be heartbreaking, but it might take me a while to read it because I'm embarrassingly unfamiliar with current events and some of the narrative is a bit confusing because of that. But I imagine reading works such as this will help remedy that.

We had to read The Last Lecture for Theology.

I really liked it; it was a bit sad at times, but the message it presented ("you can actually achieve your childhood dreams, and here's how") was a very positive one.

And plus my dad's reaction to opening the book to a random page and reading something about Star Wars was just great.

Blue Bloods: Revelations(3 of 4), Water for Elephants, and I have started to re-read Twilight(keep hate to yourself please or rabid eevee will bite) but these other two and work and school have consumed me.

Since coming to Brazil, I have had some time to read.

First I went through the four .hack//Another Birth light novels again, because my head hurt with Portuguese and I didn't care for anything more strenuous. Afterwards I finished Temeraire, which I had only read the first chapter of back home. I have PDFs to the others in the series, and I may have to put up with those if I want to read more (which I do!) considering the lack of... well, of bookstores or libraries here, and where there are some they tend to lack books in English. And I wouldn't want to see what a translation could do to that lovely writing style.

Then A Brief History of Time, mostly because I had it and it was thinner than Cryptonomicon, which took about two and a half weeks from me and gave in return a slightly strained shoulder from keeping it in my bag the whole time. I... guess I liked it, though? It was kind of an effort. Less of a novel than a condensed collection of biographies of vaguely connected people. I'd probably recommend some other Stephenson book, even though I haven't read any other
Stephenson books.

Those are the rl paper books I've read. In txt form, I've finished... Diane Duane's The Book of Night with Moon - the only YW book I haven't read is the most recent one... Wizards on Mars, right? Also Cory Doctorow's Content, the first non-novel of his I've read. I'm working on Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, after which I shall move on to Dirk Gently or Do Androids Dream.... Mm. And probably after those I'll convert the next Temeraire. o/

I... guess I liked it, though? It was kind of an effort. Less of a novel than a condensed collection of biographies of vaguely connected people. I'd probably recommend some other Stephenson book, even though I haven't read any other
Stephenson books.

They're more or less all like that, to various extents.

Just finished Black Powder War yesterday and began A Clockwork Orange this morning. The change in style was ridiculously jarring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom