• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading a book called The Hunting Season by Dean Vincent Carter. It was basically Goosebumps plus blood plus the word "fuck" sprinkled liberally throughout.

Now reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King which I'm really enjoying, and I have a bunch of random crime novels that I'm hopeful about.

Changes - Jim Butcher! Wizards and vampires and the kidnapped children they have, oh my

I read the first two Hunger Games books over thanksgiving. HEY HUNGER GAMES GUYS: Why did the editing, like, not exist. And why didn't the characters have appearances? "she has olive skin and black hair" don't cut it. Entertaining enough that I may read the last one eventually, though!

I also have here A Short History of Nearly Everything & The Grand Design

Just finished Marked, Spray, and Ender's Game.
In a three-day time span.
I thought the ending of EG was very sad, and the book seemed kinda deep in parts.

Changes I read the first two Hunger Games books over thanksgiving. HEY HUNGER GAMES GUYS: Why did the editing, like, not exist. And why didn't the characters have appearances? "she has olive skin and black hair" don't cut it. Entertaining enough that I may read the last one eventually, though!

I totally agree with you. I wasn't sure if the editing errors were from my Nook or actually published that way, but they were pretty bad.

And appearances were horribly described. I had no clear idea what they looked like. Honestly, I think they were written to be turned into a movie, and the author didn't want to be too descriptive so that it would be easier to find actors.

I have to put aside my Hitchhiker's Guide books until after school, right now I have to read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

I'm working on finishing The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman right now, and I really recommend it to anyone who liked the movie. It explains a lot more things and you really get a sense for how the whole universe works, why everything is happening and stuff like that, unlike the movie which basically goes "Well, here's a world where everyone has their own talking animals, no time to explain, on with the plot!"

I'm working on finishing The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman right now, and I really recommend it to anyone who liked the movie. It explains a lot more things and you really get a sense for how the whole universe works, why everything is happening and stuff like that, unlike the movie which basically goes "Well, here's a world where everyone has their own talking animals, no time to explain, on with the plot!"

I'd rather recommend Northern Lights to anyone who didn't like the film, which was pretty dire.

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte. Brilliant so far.

I'd rather recommend Northern Lights to anyone who didn't like the film, which was pretty dire.

Haha, you're right, I meant more like liked the concept of the movie, or at least wanted to know more. I thought it was pretty interesting when I saw it, but the books is a lot better so far.
And huh, I didn't know it was also called Northern Lights. That's interesting.

And huh, I didn't know it was also called Northern Lights. That's interesting.

It is called Northern Lights. o_o Looking on Wikipedia, apparently it's called the same as the film in the USA. I thought that was just an alternative title. Odd.

There are people who saw the film before reading Northern Lights? Oh, dear. (And yes, the title was changed in America. I suspect it was another case of 'American children won't know (or care) about the northern lights!')

The Icelandic translation actually called it what translates to 'The Golden Compass', as well. I think it's more because it fits better with the pattern of the titles being 'The [adjective] [object]' referring to some object introduced in that book, to be honest.

But the alethiometer isn't actually called the golden compass. :( And, back when Pullman was still using that title for the trilogy as a whole, it was "The Golden Compasses", as in pair of compasses.

Well, yeah, it isn't called that, but the first time I heard Northern Lights didn't actually fit the pattern originally it really bugged me. :(

Well, I finished the Golden Compass, and wow, the ending surprised me. They changed a lot in the movie,. Why cut out the entire ending? That's kind of silly. I'm going to start reading The Subtle Knife immediately, I really liked the book and I want to know what happens.

Well, I finished the Golden Compass, and wow, the ending surprised me. They changed a lot in the movie,. Why cut out the entire ending? That's kind of silly.
When I saw that I actually stood up in the theater and shouted "IT'S NOT OVER!" D: Probably they didn't want to spring a downer ending cliffhanger on people when they weren't sure the second movie would get made at all, but yeah.

Just finished Hitler's War by Harry Turtledove, now part of The War That Came Early series. Not bad, but the fact that a majority of the characters are European makes his little Americanisms sound strange. Anybody whose read his books should easily spot what I'm talking about.

Now to read End Of The Beginning, same author, which I picked up on a whim when I remembered I finished Days of Infamy a long time ago.

Meh. Can't say I cared for The Subtle Knife all that much. It took a very different turn from the first book and I've seen very few stories that have pulled off the whole traveling to other worlds subject very well. I'll still finish the series, but I've lost most of my interest in it.

Just finished Mockingjay~

THE ENDING AAAA <3

/runs off to write fanfic and never post it

prim ; ;

Just finished Waiting For Godot and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Brilliant, both. Now to get on with We and then Brave New World which has been sitting around since May because opal told me to read We first. After that... I'm not sure. Probably going to check out Timeline-191 assuming I am not immediately assaulted by English Festival books.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom