• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuf Voyaging, George R. R. Martin. Took me a bloody long time to find a copy, too.

But Northern Lights still fits the The Adjectivvy Noun pattern D:

I'm working my way very slowly through The Devil in Amber by Mark Gatiss. It's pretty good fun (imagine James Bond, only very gay), and I had a great chat with the woman at the Oxfam Bookshop in which I bought it about how multitalented dear old Gatiss is.

I read Golden Compass/Northern Lights a while back and loved it.

Still want to read Catching Fire (and avoid accidentally spoiling the series until I finish it) but there's never any copies of it available at any of the libraries around town. Right now I'm not reading anything in particular but I'm waffling between starting the first Warriors book, V for Vendetta, or the new Artemis Fowl book (which I somehow forgot about until recently). I also want to get into Isaac Asimov's Foundation/Empire series eventually.

The Beauty Myth, Naomi Wolf. Have spent ages trying to find a copy only to be lent one by my Comms teacher. :D

The Loved One, by Evelyn Waugh.

I'm getting closer to finishing his entire bibliography. I find it odd how I can enjoy his books given his (very) questionable opinions, but he's just that damn good a writer.

My Leaving Cert poetry course, which I have summed up below;

Robert Frost Genius
Patrick Kavanagh Boring
Philip Larkin Pretty cool
Thomas Kinsella Boring
Adrienne Rich Bitch
Sylvia Plath Awesome
Seamus Heaney Genius
Eavan Boland Pretty cool

mysc rinxlen fanfic, walls, small gods by terry prachet, bilboards, junk mail, i'll read anything i can find, so i normaly can't pin it down.

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring for class. I don't really enjoy, so I think I might switch over to Jane Eyre. I just finished Interview With the Vampire and The Thirteenth Tale.

Honestly, Jane Eyre doesn't sound better than LotR. But I just have problems with the Bronte sisters. And as long winded as Tolkein is, he did re-define the High Fantasy genera. And managed to write a decent story.

Our English class is going to begin reading Hawthorne's Scarlett Letter soon.

The Bronte sisters' works were about a lot more than a 'decent story'.

On-topic, currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Moby Dick, Herman Melville

Yeah I'm not sure what happened there.

Honestly, Jane Eyre doesn't sound better than LotR.

I just started reading it - yeah, I don't like LotR - and I love her style of writing. Sure, I'm only on the third page, but I'm already into it.

The Amber Spyglass.

Late to the party, I know.

After this I'm starting Discworld.

I am loving the Virgina Woolf love here <3

But I'm a plebian who has no time for your high-brow 'classics' and am reading through a bunch of miscellaneous travel books, most of which I've read before (I've read every non-guidebook travel book in Canterbury library), and my housemate's Calvin and Hobbes anthology.

I just started reading it - yeah, I don't like LotR - and I love her style of writing. Sure, I'm only on the third page, but I'm already into it.

amen. i love jane eyre is a wonderfull book. you'll love it. read it, then listen to the talking book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom