• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you think of fellow forumgoers

Well, you know what?

I don't really care.

Short, simple, to the point, no fluff.

Really, I don't care. It's a minor thing and there's really no reason to get to worked up about it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be off. I really am not going to argue with you two any longer~
I care very much. I will continue to argue with you if you keep abusing my precious language like that.

semicolons have an established purpose. You really shouldn't be using them outside of that purpose

Tildes also have several established purposes, none of which feature in English-language punctuation but they're splattered all over everyone's posts for god knows why. It kinda gets on my nerves, I'll admit, when random symbols get abused like that (one of the things about myspace and myspacey people that turn me off)

'Course all of you probably disagree; that's cool I guess

Tildes also have several established purposes, none of which feature in English-language punctuation but they're splattered all over everyone's posts for god knows why. It kinda gets on my nerves, I'll admit, when random symbols get abused like that (one of the things about myspace and myspacey people that turn me off)

'Course all of you probably disagree; that's cool I guess
However, the tilde has adopted a fairly consistent role in certain informal English settings. Or, well, it'd be more accurate to say that the tilde has come into parts of English fandom from Japanese to be used for lengthening parts of words or to demonstrate that it's being said in a sing-song voice. So while it's certainly not a formal usage of the tilde, it's consistent and was not chosen randomly.

What is the real meaning of tilde?

I always though it was just for... lengthening parts of words. Or song...ing.

La~♪

However, the tilde has adopted a fairly consistent role in certain informal English settings.

As has the asterisk for denoting actions, or the usage of heart, asterisk, etc. symbols for making text "prettier". These are fairly consistent (a quick look at a dozen myspaces would tell you this), but that's not stopping anyone from taking issue with them. Then there's the question of how many people use tildes precisely for that purpose, or just because "everyone else does it" (which, although it sounds cliché, is actually the reason why most languages mutate, because a certain variation catches on and becomes dominant).

I never realised 'tilde' was a user. You all seem to have different opinions of him/her. xD

What is the real meaning of tilde?

I always though it was just for... lengthening parts of words. Or song...ing.

La~♪
In English? There isn't one, really. They're used for 'not' or 'approximately' frequently, but not much else.
As has the asterisk for denoting actions, or the usage of heart, asterisk, etc. symbols for making text "prettier". These are fairly consistent (a quick look at a dozen myspaces would tell you this), but that's not stopping anyone from taking issue with them. Then there's the question of how many people use tildes precisely for that purpose, or just because "everyone else does it" (which, although it sounds cliché, is actually the reason why most languages mutate, because a certain variation catches on and becomes dominant).
However, there's differing levels of consistency.

Yes, I see why people dislike asterisks for actions and punctuation purely to make things pretty, mostly the latter because that really doesn't serve any purpose while the former is one of multiple commonly-used ways to denote actions, but I think quite a few people who use tildes do know how they're supposed to be read. Sure, some of them are simply following the bandwagon, but that doesn't mean all uses of tildes are.

Ok so like

1) what is with the overuse of "SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE" lately
2) oh my god why is using semi colons to denote actions so wrong
why is using ANY kind of punctuation to denote actions wrong
pettiness overload!!!

;;facepalms a bazillion times;;
*leaves*

it is attention whoring season

there is no attention for me

this must be fixed

Back
Top Bottom