• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

what languages do you speak?

also i regret to say i don't recognize your sig :< (and the only reason my sig is what it is is cause there are so many augmented seconds, i DON'T SEE ANY DIMINISHED THIRDS IN YOURS x3)
I have to say I didn't put two and two together, there. Don't think there's any diminished thirds in the piece offhand (I should know), though.

My mother tongue is British English. I have an AS Level in Latin and Ancient Greek, and a GCSE in French. I can also speak conversationally in Spanish and Italian. Learning Russian, German and Portuguese.

I have to say I didn't put two and two together, there. Don't think there's any diminished thirds in the piece offhand (I should know), though.

are there any pieces you can think of with diminished thirds?? it's easier for me to remember what has augmented seconds (they have a very distinctive flavor, after all - I was once listening to a Mystery Dungeon piece and was like "THAT'S AN AUGMENTED SECOND" so I promptly went off and figured out the melody) than what has diminished thirds (cause they're ... major seconds) so

obviously, i've never been at the receiving end of serious dialect shaming, but i know how destructive it is, and so i would like it to be avoided here. that's all i meant! for the record i think Scottish dialects (and Scots) are crazy interesting.

I don't think you understand.

My first language and absolutely the one I am most fluent in is american english. I also knew french up until I was about four, but then I mysteriously almost completely forgot it. I've taken spanish for three years now, so I can hold an idealistic everyone-be-happy-and-innocent conversation in that language. You know, the kind that they teach you in the textbooks. before that, I took French to try to regain my fluency in it, but it wasn't very successful because the teachers used curriculums from the 1980's.

On the subject of dialect, I have a texan-ish accent. It isn't very texan at all though, because my dad is from Ohio, my mom has almost no accent (it's clearly american, though), my grandma has a south african accent, my aunt and uncle speak french primarily, and I speak to my Brittish second cousins occasionally. Oh, and my best friend is italian-french (he speaks french fluently), and my other best friend it norwegian-jewish. So, because of all this, I don't say "y'all," and I don't have that wierd southern inflection. It also enables me to almost perfectly imitate any english accent.

On the other hand, and this is sort of ranting, my sister has a very, very, very wierd Texan accent. She has all the same influences as I do, but she watches a channel called TLC. TLC's shows are all about really stupid, forcibly-girly shows, about beauty pagents and dressing gowns and such, and everyone in the shows are WHITE TRASH. They sound super-southern and horrible, and they wear too much make-up. Naturally, my sister happened to pick up all these accent things, except that her accent sounds almost FORCED. She says "y'all" instead of "you," and she tries to copy that "southern belle" accent. She also doesn't speak Latin properly, although she certainly can. She always seems to try her best to put an american accent on foreign languages. It's disgusting.

So, any of you have a relative who acts like that?

Canadian English, though besides spelling I've seen very few differences between it and most American English dialects. It's the only language I speak fluently :(

However, I'm very good with French. A quarter of my family is French-Canadian, and a third of my school is French-Immersion (they take half of their classes in French), so I get immersed in it quite a bit, as well as fantastic marks in French courses for the last 6 or 7 years (We learned a bit when I was in the third grade, but marks in French weren't official until fourth, so I'm not sure if that counts). I can almost always understand conversation, and can speak, read, and write it well enough to make my way through Quebec, and probably France.

Not sure if this counts, but my Facebook was in Esperanto for a few months at the beginning of the year. I picked up a few words, but it was a very limited vocabulary, and I don't remember much since. I also want to learn Portuguese, Ukrainian, Italian, Mandarin, and Arabic at some point, though I doubt it will happen.

I keep my calculator in swedish!

... although that has somewhat more to do with, nobody near me understands swedish and I'm the only one sufficiently familiar with the calculator to operate it without being able to read the things, with the effect that nobody is capable to screw around with the calculator while I'm not around. useful. occasionally.

I speak Chinese very fluently. I use British English when typing and writing but apparently I have an American accent. |||<

亦然

So apparently I speak english with a british accent, at least according to my teacher. I thought it was just some wierd mix of...stuff o.O

I speak Chinese very fluently. I use British English when typing and writing but apparently I have an American accent. |||<

亦然

in my experience, that's incredibly common in people whose first language is an asian one (chinese, japanese, indonesian, etc.). I don't know if it's from the general absorption of American culture... everywhere, or what. In Australia there's a sizable population of immigrants from countries in Asia, and lots of people who speak english as a second language have an American accent, despite never being in America ever.

American English first, but I use Canadian English mostly these days 'cause I live in Canada now :B Though to be honest the differences between the two is pretty minimal. Other than the "u"s in words like colour and the structure of words like "centre", which are always present, Canadians tend to flip-flop a lot between British and American spellings. I'm cool with that, as a lot of British spellings feel weird for me to type.

Aussi, je sais un peu de français. Mais je ne suis pas très bon à lui. :C Mon capacité est rouillé à l'extrême. Je suis désolé pour tout les Francophones qui ont lire cette.

亦然

oh are those the relevant yìrán ... you know, people like to say that chinese names are random glyph copied from somewhere + one or two random glyphs which may or may not be copied from somewhere, but. that's ... impressive.

>|||

Last edited:
Of course English, but I speak a little German as well, but not much since I never finished the class. :(

Back
Top Bottom