• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Which TCoD members can you identify just by their style of typing?

res. And Polymetric, Cirrus, and uv, to some extent. Maybe LuckyLapras, but that's probably because I VM him so much.

Now I want to make some kind of a game out of this. Like, everyone secretly submits a post about some predefined subject, and then they're all posted with numbers on them and people try to guess which number is what person.

Let's make this happen.

Seconding this for sure. Perhaps someone could volunteer to have the all the posts PMed to them and then organized? They'd kind of miss out on the fun, though.

That still leaves the question for the subject, however. Should it be a question or a prompt of sorts?

Now I want to make some kind of a game out of this. Like, everyone secretly submits a post about some predefined subject, and then they're all posted with numbers on them and people try to guess which number is what person.

Let's make this happen.

This should totally be a thing. Should it be matching the person with the number (the person being on a list), or just out of the whole forum?

Let's make this happen.

Sounds awesome. I'm game for it.

Let's make this happen.

(I think the most distinct typing styles probably belong to Cirrus, Hiikaru and Polymetric. I'd probably recognize opal rather easily as well, but that's more because I talk to him a lot outside the forums. Possibly Negrek. Probably Phantom. Dannichu. Tailsy.)

(I remember at some point reading some post genuinely thinking it was by one person, and as I read it being all like "haha, person X totally sounds like person Y in this post" and it turned out to be person Y and I'd just somehow not read the postbit right. But I don't remember who they were.)

You have to remember that we could be pretending to be someone else. For instance, I could pretend to be opaltiger! I could be opaltiger right now. You'd never know.

Also when I'm talking to linguists.

how silly!! linguists know that orthography is arbitrary. :(

this
seriously what i type in lowercase mostly and that's it

anyway as for me, turbo (def), cirrus, hiikaru, phantom, music dragon, tailsy to some extent. oh and res.

would imagine the ways you abbreviate and the unpunctuate you do is somewhat distinguishable; too, the fragments. and then sometimes you suddenly caps everything for a few words.

question is unsimple to respond to, yes?

*9*86^8α9¢7%62

of course not, no.

Am I really that distinct though...

uhhhh I dunno like maybe everyone in #tcod. especially Clover, Tailsy, Hiikaru, Butterfree, I guess? and res just look for things not making sense for a moment. Variation in typing style is cute!

secret: opal subconsciously uses capitals and punctuation when suddenly things are Serious. it's hilarious.

heavy use of uncertainty particles! also the way you grammar around interjections and your collection of text smilies. ... also lots and lots of interjections.

I am really curious as to how

also seconding res forever

you don't full stop very much; capitalisation is variable; frequent use of fragments; also your pronoun usages are kind of distinctive now that I look at the corpus.

You have to remember that we could be pretending to be someone else. For instance, I could pretend to be opaltiger! I could be opaltiger right now. You'd never know.

Yes, but that would imply that some of us have hacked into others' accounts, which is obviously not condoned here. I highly doubt such is the case.

how silly!! linguists know that orthography is arbitrary. :(

Ah! Now I remember who your typing style reminds me of: Jade Harley! XD

(But seriously, whether you realize it or not, you typed that almost exactly as Jade Harley would've.)

you don't full stop very much; capitalisation is variable; frequent use of fragments; also your pronoun usages are kind of distinctive now that I look at the corpus.

Oh yeah that makes sense ^^;

(But seriously, whether you realize it or not, you typed that almost exactly as Jade Harley would've.)

After reading this yes Cirrus is Jade

Yes, but that would imply that some of us have hacked into others' accounts, which is obviously not condoned here. I highly doubt such is the case.

But we could just alter the way we write to throw everyone off!! It would be fun, though. In fact, there should probably be more anon lj memes or something except you're not allowed to be mean.

well I am approximately super-okay with that so!!!! though she is way more cheerful.

... Yeah, Cirrus is Jade forever now. Oops.

Wow, this... wow. It just... wow.

This thread is making me quite conscious of my own typing style and my overuse of the slanty face emoticon :/

On the other hand, though, now I'm just making myself ??? by trying to think of defining typing style things. I think it depends on who I'm talking to?

But we could just alter the way we write to throw everyone off!! It would be fun, though. In fact, there should probably be more anon lj memes or something except you're not allowed to be mean.

Well that's a killjoy thing to do, if you're imitating someone else :( And people should just not

(just being yourself in a slightly different way is fine!)

Anon LJ meme would be cool, though!

but i type like 80% of people on this forum how can i ~possibly~ be distinct!!

i dunno though. i notice the typing styles of my buddies and that's about it. everyone else is a BIG GREY BLUR OF BORING unless you use kawaii emoticons ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

Especially a few like Jolty and Butterfree. And Poly.

I think the most distinct typing styles probably belong to Cirrus, Hiikaru and Polymetric.

And Polymetric, Cirrus, and uv, to some extent.

SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THIS

(eta: the reason i'm so confused is that i feel like i stole my style from jolty, eevee and res with occasionally some cirrus or hiikaru mixed in and a little flora as well as mike the foxhog influence so to me, saying i have my OWN DISTINCTIVE STYLE that is that easily recognizable feels like saying the english language was not inspired by any other language.)

would imagine the ways you abbreviate and the unpunctuate you do is somewhat distinguishable; too, the fragments. and then sometimes you suddenly caps everything for a few words.

ok yeah i suppose i can see that. if only i typed like i talked then i'd be even more distinctive if that's possible! (for instance the above "SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THIS" would become "i cannot into understanding how a thing is happen" yes that's legitimately how i speak because i cannot into english)
just out of curiosity which abbreviations are you thinking of? unpunctuate, fragments and RANDOM CAPS i can see all of but i can't remember distinct abbreviations atm

oh also the link you posted? it only ever shows the most recent post and "hello, world." at a time

Last edited:
Just a heads up, but my identifier was kittens. I didn't really understand what that meant so I just went with a word.

Back
Top Bottom