• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Yeah, another sprite contest

Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen a contest with entries this good. PichuK should have some trouble judging this!

Can I join?

Splice40761.PNG

Pokedreamer
32zlxlz_th.png

Holy proportions, Batman! Those wings are huge in comparison to poor little Mew! That's also the only time that there's any white at all, which is Lugia's prime colour, and there's some odd colour distortion. It looks like you saved as a .gif and changed it to .png. You didn't recolour the outlines and there's still some pink on Mew's tail. The scratch outlines are very sloppy, and haven't been cleaned up well, there's a lack of outlines on one of the wings, and the base of Mew's arm is still there. Really, that must hurt, having a wing coming out of your armpit and neck.

You'd be much safer doing one of those oh-so-numerous Pikachu/Whatever splices, because, honestly, this is really sloppy.

1/10

Terry T.
image.php

Well, yikes. The tails aren't coming out of its butt - it looks more like they'd end up half way up its back. You have not recoloured any outlines, that's just not good enough. You've also managed to mangle Uxie's head by erasing some of the outlines. How and why you did that, I don't know. The sheel has tooo high of a contrast, while the body doesn't have enough.
Also, it looks very darn weird, considering Uxie has its eyes closed. Is it awake? Sleepwalking? ...?
2/10

Silver
23tfho8.png

The whole feeling of the sprite seems a lille harsh and has some extreme contrast going on here.
You forgot to colour the outlines throughout the whole sprite, it seems. On the hat and red thing especially, and, boy, does it make the sprite suffer.
The shading is very illogical - there's no hilight on the left arm, but on the riht, there's a hilight smack-dap where some shading should be. The head has so many problems. List: Huge contrast, Gardevoir green still there, really bad outlines, face has no shading, and the celebi ears look like they're coming out and an odd point in the head, and that they're both coming out of the same... well, maybe not side, maybe third? of the head.
Also, it's a very boring splice. Wings + antennea = ehhh...
4/10

Cheesecake
Bunearchu.png

Okay, it's pretty cute, I guess. The arms look a bit too big for Pachirisu, making the torso mainly composed of the said arms. There could be some shading under the ear, and near the arms. The whole sprite looks very plain. Be more imaginative! The spikes on the tail could be fluffy, there could be some fluff near the legs to fix the odd shading, give it little Buneary eyebrows.

There's also a problem with the contrast on the body. There's the hilight brown domiating, and very little shading brown, making it look a little odd to reconize, at first glance.

4.5/10

Kali
yanotic.png

The mask is at a completely different angle and has a completely different shading style than the rest of the body, and there's.. well... not much spliced. Really, there isn't much to critique on, because you haven't done that much.
5/10

Lucas
Darmothifree.png

The hat is very odd; it goes in front of the wing. Shouldn't it go behind the wing? The ghost-iness coming from the wings is a nice touch, but it also seems to ruin the sprite for some reason -- I can't put my finger on it. I'm not sure what you used for the base, but you missed some of the colouring on the right wing. The eye sorta blends in to the head too well, and I was wondering what it was untill I zoomed it.
The sprite doesn't cope too well on a white background, possibly because the wings are so dark and the hat isn't shaded much. On a dark background, there's a chunk misssing from the right wing.
6.5/10

Zulo
Taurdle46578.bmp

Weedle is fun to splice with, I'll give it that. It's also, suprisingly, quite easy to splice with.
Looking at the Tauros sprite, and looking at your splice with Weedle, it looks like you had fun. You're observant enough to put shading under the two circles on Weedle's forehead, but not to put some under the horns, heh. There's a lot of jagged outlining, and there's one thing about weedle that annoys me to no end that you haven't fixed...
Take a guess.

It's the way that there's a hilight down the back of its body. Yeah, I never understood it, but you'd get an extra halfpoint if you had fixed this. :/
Aaaannnyyway, back to the splice factor. The tails flow fine, even if they look a little big for Weedle. It's also crosseyed.
7/10

Grimdour
thesuicune.png

Heh, this thing looks pretty silly. xD Anyway, silliness aside. It looks pretty good. Where is the tail coming out? It looks like it's coming from inbetween where the theighs would be on the human body. The shading style from Kingler -> Gengar is a pretty big change, so the claws look a bit odd in comparison to the body. The mouth lacks hilights, which makes the body look pretty bland, and so does the crown.

Still, it's a good sprite, especially considering the Pokemon used.

7/10

Renteura
toxiflypi4.png

Okay, there's definately some weird things going on here, mainly involving the wing tips and the legs. I'll start with the latter.
The forleg would look better if the wings weren't in a 'flying' position. The r/s or d/p second frame sprites may have worked better here. The reason why is because, well, it looks as if it's landed from a jump on it, while the back one looks as if it were flying, which works with the wings.
The problem with the wingtips is that Toxicroak's colours aren't used in a sharp hilight-shading conjuction, and it looks very bright and eye hurting because of the huge contrast.
I also think it looks funny because it lacks Pelipper's 'tail', but that's just me.

Again, despite this, the sprite is good. Again, the sprites you used were pretty insane ones to work with. Props for that.

7/10

Reventhas
Snowskull.gif

You know, you don't give yourself enough credit. You're good at spriting, and I'd be happy to see you not bashing yourself when it comes to sprites... even if that was a bit hipocrite-y.
Anyway, right off the bat, you've done something that can drive me nuts when people forget about it, and that's shading where you've spliced (under the hat.) I'm not sure if it's intended or by mistake, but it's a plus. The outline is dark compared to the colours, especially on the mask. You might want to put a bit more hilights on him, you can see the difference between the amount of hilights on Snover and the amount on Duskull. Just keep that in mind. It's so simple, but it sorta leaps out of the crowd at the same time. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Ice types. We'll never know.
7.3/10

Lord Shyguy
Splice40761.PNG

The left ear blends in with the outlnine, almost. There are a lot of black lines, which mangle the purple. Where's the arm coming from? His chin? You could shade some areas where you've spliced on - the moustache could be leaving a shadow on the left kneww, and Machoke's 'hat' could leave some on the forehead.
About the hat, to me, it looks like it's blending into the ear, or where the aer is coming from, at least.
Again, one of those "wow, how did you manage to splice those two?!" splices. :)
7.5/10

Tropiking
picture.php

Let me say that you did a very good job at putting Empoleon's features on to Ursaring. One thing that irks me is the mouth - I can see Ursaring's old mouth behind it, giving me the weird feeling that it has a snount and then the beak at the tip of it, but It wasn't pulled off that well.
I love your use of the ring, but there's a sore lacking of lighter colours. You may have been better off just putting Empoleon's markings on.
There's also some uncoloured outline, but you can't really see it.

7.8/10

ArtificialFlavour
Cherisprout.png

Look me a while to realise that the splice was Bellsprout/Cherrim. x_x
The little baubles on its head look really weird, now that they're brown there's a little too much hilighting on the head, which makes it seem almost shiny compared t everything else (except maybe the leaves.)
On the subject of leaves, these ones are a little oddly shaded... looking at the bottom-left set of leaves, the hilight is facing to the bottom left as well, istead of top left. The pink's nice, but it doesn't really seem to fit with the sprite after the splice.
8/10

Pokemonspriter
magmion-1.png

Holy. Shit. how the heck you managed this and stayed sane is a mystery to me.
Anyway, judging! The claws look a little off-whack compared to the angle the hole is on. Are the claws coming from over the hole?
I can't really tell where the 'sun' is hitting it. Top left? Top right? The upper half and left side of the body suggest top left, but the bottom hlaf says top right.
Thing that irks me with fire: it's fire. It'd probably be making some light. xD
Also, there seem to be a multitude of black outlines, which ruins the lively and bright colours.
9/10

----------
Congratulations to Pokemonspriter, ArtificalFlavour and Tropiking!
sv6ipt.png
f3q78.png
166yg5u.png

Next contest is (thank the random sprite generator for this one) Revamp any Ghastly or any Starmie and splice them! Good luck! :)

Sorry it took so long, guys.​

Last edited:
Hmm I guess I'll try!

Spot reserve please for when I get back from vacation![s/]

I'm dropping out now.

Last edited:
Reserve me, please.

Watch this space.

EDIT:
Possessed.png

A bit crap, but it's from G/S/C.

Last edited:
erk, should've made this clear. Revamp either gastly or starmie from any version and splice them with eachother. x_x

Have fun! :3

Back
Top Bottom