• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your All Time 5 Favourite Movies (Oh and least favourite)

Finally got around to watching Hot Fuzz. It was as good as everyone says it is, and I particularly enjoyed it because I live in exactly the sort of town Pegg was paordying when he wrote the film. Ooharrr.

Also, the main character did Sociology at Canterbury University. Which is just fantastic <333

1. The Lion King (<3)
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Spirited Away
4. Aladdin
5. The Little Mermaid

Yes, they're all Disney/Studio Ghibli. Shut up. :P

As for other films... I really like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Titanic (again, shut up), the first two Harry Potter films (I like the others well enough though), House of Flying Daggers, and a whole heap of other Disney/Studio Ghibli films. Oh, and Slumdog Millionaire was pretty great.

uh there are so many good movies to list, but I'm just going to mention The Shawshank Redemption right now, might edit in more later if I can be bothered

as for bad ones, The Matrix movies are very good examples of boring, overhyped stuff
edit: the 2nd and 3rd ones at least

Last edited:
This is haaaard.

1: Priest
2: Any Monty Pyton film. I CAN'T CHOOSE ):
3: Ma Vie En Rose
4: Hot Fuzz
5: Clockwork Orange

pfft I have so many other films I love. Oh well. I don't really dislike any films because I only watch things I think I might like.
Posted this ages ago and thought I'd give an update... I've probably posted another update somewhere in the thread but whatever.

1. American Beauty
2. Grimm Love
3. Priest
4. Hot Fuzz
5. Monty Python (in general)

There's a bunch of other films I love but if I had to pick I'd say this is as good a list as any. I reccomend them all. I don't really have a 'bad films' list but I really don't like the '*whatever* Movie' things those two brothers keep making.

Even the first one?

To be fair, I had only seen the 2nd and 3rd ones, and then never bothered to watch the first, being convinced that it must suck just as much as its follow-ups, and had never been told by anyone until now that it might be worth watching, only heard people either agreeing with me, or overhyping the entire series.

Either way, most likely not going to watch the first one even if people could convince me that it's much better than the other two. Edited my previous post, though.

To be fair, I had only seen the 2nd and 3rd ones, and then never bothered to watch the first, being convinced that it must suck just as much as its follow-ups, and had never been told by anyone until now that it might be worth watching, only heard people either agreeing with me, or overhyping the entire series.

Ohhhh dear. Yeah, the second and third are absolutely awful, but the first you sort of have to see. Also, wtf, why on earth would you watch the sequels first? I imagine they're even worse if you have no clue what's going on. Believe me, no one insists the sequels are any good. All the praise belongs solely to the original.

Ohhhh dear. Yeah, the second and third are absolutely awful, but the first you sort of have to see. Also, wtf, why on earth would you watch the sequels first? I imagine they're even worse if you have no clue what's going on. Believe me, no one insists the sequels are any good. All the praise belongs solely to the original.

A friend had been working at a video store and he had lended me the sequels (they didn't have the first one); this was like 4-5 years ago, and I hadn't known about other ways of obtaining movies back then, otherwise would've started with the first one.

vaaaaguely in order,
The Parent Trap (1998 remake)
The Digimon Movie
the third Pokémon movie
the first Pokémon movie
... Serenity?

I mostly stopped... watching movies when I was ten. Oh, right--

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
... Wall-E was good
... the second Pokémon movie?

ETA: those are an extension of my faves, I can't think of any movies I really... hate. I'll leave the room when most movies are on, though, especially if it's my dad that's watching them and they're so very loud. I hate loud noises :(

I can't count how many movies I've never seen and don't care to. Star Wars, Matrix, ... I've seen the first PotC, maybe... most things. :x

Last edited:
No real order here:

-Tombstone
-Fight Club
-Dirty Harry
-Blazing Saddles
-Young Frankenstein
-Pulp Fiction
-Reservoir Dogs
-Inglorious Basterds

eighters gonna eight

Stuff I can't stand:

Anything made by M Night Shyamalamadingdong post-Sixth Sense
WHAT A TWEEST
The Last Airbender (yes yes i know this is kind of repeating myself but this deserves a special place in hell)

Last edited:
... Serenity?

Yesssss. Totally forgot that was an actual film (I keep thinking it was a super-long episode of Firefly). Absolutely brilliant. <3

Relatedly, I'd also like to mention the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie as one of the most hilariously bad films in cinema history. Please, please do not in any way judge the TV show based on the film.

1.The Prestige (Such a clever film, an amazing plot twist, good acting across the board and a magnificent storyline)
2.Trainspotting (Hard hitting, disturbing while also hilarious and upbeat about it all)
3.Inception (Slowly becoming my favourite film, a masterpiece from Christopher Nolan, a completely original concept with great acting, great effects, great music, interesting characters and just a mind blowing experience. SEE IT!)
4.Toy Story Trilogy (I couldn't pick just one, so I put all three there. Did you know it's a scientific fact that if you don't like Toy Story you are not a Human Being.)
5.UP (Another Gem from PIXAR, an emotional roller-coaster of a film, which will ahve you in tears within the first fifteen minutes, and then tears of laughter for the remainder. Thoroughly deserving of it's best picture nomination =D)

Last edited:
I don't like narrowing lists down! >:o

Haven't seen a whole lot of movies but here are ones I like, I guess.

MOVIES THAT ARE REALLY COOL:
  • Anything Miyazaki touches
  • The Matrix (I've only seen the first one; I'm apparently not missing much though.)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • American Psycho (I really need to read the book)
  • Inception (it's so good you don't even care about the similarities to The Matrix!)
  • The Dark Knight
  • The Human Centipede

MOVIES THAT REALLY SUCK BALLS:
  • Pretty much every single Dreamworks CG Animation (Shrek was okay before I was forced to watch it 9001 times in various social situations as a child. I haven't seen HTTYD.)
  • Pretty much every single straight-to-video Disney sequel (with TLK2 as a big exception)
  • The 2010 Alice in Wonderland. (They had the right formula for it to be another guilty pleasure Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie... and then they, like, took a piss in said formula or something.)
  • This list is kind of lacking because I usually don't see movies unless I'm fairly convinced I'll like them.

I was thinking more along the lines of "people go into dream world and fuck things up/walk on walls while things meant to protect dream world are out to get them, also main character has to choose between the dream and reality". But yeah, the similarities aren't noticeable enough to be glaringly obvious. I think both are awesome takes on a similar concept. :v

Last edited:
The ending of Inception pissed me off because ambiguous endings are my biggest pet peeve, but otherwise I absolutely adored it.

Favourites
Airplane! (hilarious and a classic. I know the whole thing pretty much by heart but I could still watch it all day.)
Princess Mononoke (my favourite Miyazaki film that I've seen. Beautiful and wonderfully crafted.)
Inception (that huge budget? WORTH IT. Loved the concept, the storytelling, and the wall-walking sequences. Even though I didn't like the Dom/Mol subplot.)
Hot Fuzz (why anyone wouldn't love this film is a concept that's beyond me.)
Mean Girls (most quotable film ever made. Hysterical. :D)

... I don't really have least favourite films. If I don't think I'll like something I probably just won't watch it. :B

What, in that both feature "reality" and "non-reality"? :P That's hardly unique to the Matrix. Inception is a lot cleverer at what it does.

I still think The Matrix is the superior film, though; the use of Eastern and Western philosophy and religion was better done than Inception's use of Freudian psychology, I thought, and while Inception was doubtlessly very pretty (I loved the antigravity fight scene near the end), The Matrix was truly groundbreaking with its use of 'bullet time' and so on.

But in terms of borrowing from The Matrix, Inception did an infinitely better job of it than Avatar did.

I still think The Matrix is the superior film, though; the use of Eastern and Western philosophy and religion was better done than Inception's use of Freudian psychology, I thought, and while Inception was doubtlessly very pretty (I loved the antigravity fight scene near the end), The Matrix was truly groundbreaking with its use of 'bullet time' and so on.

But in terms of borrowing from The Matrix, Inception did an infinitely better job of it than Avatar did.

I thought The Matrix was too straightforward. After we got past the whole red pill/blue pill part, everything was clear: the Matrix was the Matrix, reality was reality. From there on it was pretty much just a science fiction action film. Whereas Inception deliberately blurred the difference between dream and reality - far, far more so than the Matrix did. I liked the ending, and so far have thought of a number of interpretations, all of which are meaningful and interesting in their own way.

edit: also the actual plot of the Matrix - chosen one! - is a complete mess.

I love the Lion King, it's my favorite Disney movie. Also like Avatar, Forrest Gump, Dances with Wolves, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Tokyo Godfathers, Young Frankenstein, Star Trek (the latest one - I haven't the slightest bit of Star Trek knowledge, but I liked it enough to watch it 3 times), Coraline, Monsters Inc.... There's many more, but I'm starting to get lazy.

There's not many movies I dislike, either, but I do remember that I hated Doogal ._.

Favorites (in no paticular order):
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
-Shaun of the Dead
-The Hudsucker Proxy
-UP
-Anything having to do with Harry Potter. (only because the books were fantastic)
-The Invention of Lying

Movies That Make My Brain Explode
-Twilight
-Some odd movie I saw at my friends house that had something to do with a "Thunderdome"
-Shrek 3

I know, I mostly watch comedies. <3
And I couldn't just list five favorites.

Back
Top Bottom