• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Goals for the Future

departuresong

Bouncing Off Clouds
What are some goals you have for the future?

If anybody would be willing to comment on mine (from my blog), please please please do.

I’ve heard multiple times from multiple people that nobody achieves goals unless they write them down. So I’m writing mine down.

* Get out of Minnesota and find somewhere bigger and better.

I love Minnesota and that will never change. I am so fortunate to live in a safe and comfortable neighborhood with nice (if not slightly passive-aggressive) people. Living next to one of the cultural highlights of the Midwest (the Minneapolis/St. Paul area) is amazing and has given me so much inspiration, opportunity, and appreciation for the world around me. I still think St. Paul is one of the best cities in the entire world and Minneapolis isn’t far behind.That said, I don’t see my ideal future here. Minnesota isn’t the most exciting place in the world. (And snow really sucks.) I want to live life in a big city, surrounded by interesting people and a variety of cultures. I want to look out my window and see the world. I want to experience the kind of excess and insanity that a humble Midwest suburb just can’t deliver. And I know exactly where I want to live: San Francisco, land of pretty architecture, free thinkers, and alternative cultures.

The idea of just abandoning Minnesota for northern California excites me and manages to scare the hell out of me at the same time. I want nothing more than to make it work. And the more I research, the less likely that seems; San Francisco is disturbingly expensive, is filled with obligatory unsafe neighborhoods, and is very likely to be underwater in ten years’ time. (That last part was a joke, but you know.)

The only thing stopping me from letting my pessimism get to me is my friend Linda, a friend I’ve only met once briefly in my life and my future partner-in-crime. Our plans to move to San Francisco after graduating were spontaneous. I don’t really know how I got involved (she had been dreaming of this longer than I did) but I’m very glad I did. The thing that scares me the most, I guess, is that all of won’t work out. I really don’t want that. I am in love with the goals we’ve set for ourselves and I want more than anything else for it to work out.

Any advice on what I can do to prepare for this would be so appreciated. Seriously, anyone who knows the big city like the back of their hand would be doing me a huge favor to let me know what I need to prepare for. I don’t want to go into this blindly. I’ve spent long enough on this point, so I’ll move on to some smaller goals.

* Get and maintain a decent GPA to negate two years’ worth of crap.

Freshman and sophomore years of high school were really, really rough. I was dealing with a lot of personal garbage that got in the way of my schoolwork, leaving me with a dreadful GPA that I would be ashamed to actually share publicly. Fortunately, I still have two years to prove myself, and my second trimester of my junior year is beginning very well. I just hope I can keep the momentum, because I know I am capable of straight As if I really put effort into it. Let’s hope.

* Get into college. To study what? I have no idea.

There is a very delicate line between jobs I would enjoy and jobs that are practical. Unfortunately, nothing I have any vague interest in studying falls into both categories. I want to do something artistic, definitely; I’ve considered pursuing writing, fashion marketing, or furthering my German knowledge. Remember when I said San Francisco is ridiculously expensive? A crappy job is not going to help the situation any. But I want to do something I love. Is it even possible to be successful in today’s world?

Any comments are more than appreciated here.

Hey, another person that doesn't know what to do with college!

I sympathize with your goal to get out of Minnesota. I'd like to move out of Florida, but I really would like to stay in my house, too. I like living with my parents. I don't want to live alone.

As for my goals... this may sound corny, but I want to change the world. I don't want to be an accountant or something. I want to be a senator or something like that. I know I complain about the US a lot, but I don't think the solution is to move away. I ant to do something to change it. I can't run for president (at least, not in the US), but that doesn't mean I can't do anything. I'm trying to stay informed with news in the US (and around the world, though that's harder) and learning more about this country's history so that I can better understanding. If I can't do anything in the US, then maybe I can help my home country.

Why would you want to leave Florida, if I may ask? Miami is a lovely city, albeit there are some parts that are pretty f'd up.

Kudos to you for being ambitious, though. I really like that you want to fix the problem instead of running away from it. I hope you do it.

1. Get out of West Virginia.
    West Virginia is a sad dying shithole that tries desperately to keep its young people in-state so they can keep its economy circling the drain just a little bit longer. I can't even do what I want to do here. Everyone I talk to, no matter how much they complain about this place, says they aren't leaving because it has a place in their heart or something; I have no feelings like this whatsoever for my home state. As dumb and clichéd as it sounds, I feel trapped here. I'm going to leave and never look back. I at least need a place with lots of nice restaurants and scenery. And preferably a gay scene.
  2. Make it into art school
    Did I mention I'm willing to put myself into exorbitant debt to get out of West Virginia? I'm going to an out-of-state art school, definitely. I've already been accepted to one and am working on getting into my first choice with a scholarship. I'm going to work my ass off and major in illustration. :v
  3. Actually make it as an artist
    Considering I'd probably kill myself before going back to my parents' house, this is the only real choice I have. I'd like to eventually work my way up to doing movie/video game concept art.
  4. Begin expressing my real gender identity more proficiently
    This will probably start in college and explode once I have my own house. I'll probably have to wait until my exorbitant college debt is paid off before I can start altering my body, but I dunno, I may end up being happy living non-op genderqueer. Need more experimenting.
  5. OPTIONAL: get rich, live kickass hedonistic lifestyle, laugh at west virginia from my high horse
    best possible way my life can turn out.

Go into the RAF as something or go to uni to study something. Yeah, I have no idea what those somethings might be. Although if I went to uni, I'd almost definitely study sociology.

I guess my immediate plans are just to prepare myself for heading for an officer position in the RAF. Because I sure as hell know I can do it, just like my family do, and I won't let the opportunity pass up and hate myself for not at least trying when I first join. :/

And... I still haven't decided on the RAF or uni. It's been 50-50 for the past two or so years. >___< I really want to do both, but I want to do whichever I choose as soon as I leave school and that'll be it, so I won't get the RAF to sponsor me through uni or anything. Sigh. Annoying, since I really need to be looking at universities soon if I'm going to go to one. I guess I'm leaning towards RAF, though...

Oh, and like, be happy. I'm not a plan-making person at all, I tend to be a 'go with the flow' type... I don't tend to worry about the future until it hits me. Which isn't exactly the greatest 'type' to be. :/ I guess I want to have children at some point...?

Something I really want to do is get away from this stupid place. Both the RAF and uni attracts me because either way, I can go somewhere I haven't been before and start my own life.

...kind of ironic when I was told that the country's officer training place is apparently ten miles from my house. ...Yeah.

Ummmm.

1. Figure out what the hell I want to do when I finish university.

I absolutely love being at uni, but I've only got a year and a half left here, and it feels like everyone else has their life planned out, while I don't have a clue. I couldn't love sociology more, but I'm not entirely sure what I can do with it that I'd actually enjoy. I'm highly considering doing a master's degree when I finish (I'm working hard and trying to get a first class degree, which would mean I could, in theory, apply to pretty much any uni I wanted), but I'm not sure what to do it in; again, I love sociology, but doing a BA and MA in the same subject isn't normally recommended because it's so limiting.
All I know is, I want to do something worthwhile, useful and good.

2. Keep up with my worthwhile stuff.

I do quite a bit of charity/activist work and I absolutely love it. My friends (well, mostly my sister) ask "Do you actually think you can change anything/make a difference?". but I honestly think I can, and even if I don't, doing said work gives me an immense feeling of fulfillment, so it's still doing good, even if it's just on a personal level. And I really, really want to keep up with said work when I finish university, but without the societies and groups, I worry about how feasable that'll be.

3. Live in a different country.

Similar to what the others have been saying about moving state; I really quite like the UK, but the world's so huge and I've only seen a tiny fraction of it and experienced only one culture. I enjoy travelling, but to get to anywhere outside of Europe, you pretty much have to use air travel, and simply spending two weeks at a hotel in a country is hardly experiencing what the country is really like. Unfortunately, I have no skill whatsoever in learning languages, so as it stands, it'll pretty much have to be an English-speaking country (and also one I can get a work visa for, which I realize isn't as easy as it sounds). But I can do it.

in no particular order:

1) Get out of Yorkshire
All the unis I've applied to are at least an hour away so I won't have to stay here all the time starting in September. Some bits of Yorkshire are pretty cool (York, Leeds etc) but Doncaster (and the whole South) is pretty bollocks. I love Nottingham to death so maybe I could live there at some point. I don't think I could live permanently in another country, my family's already extremely spread out.

2) Travel everywhere
I haven't been many places due to lack of money... so when I'm done with uni and have a good job I want to go visit loooaaaadddsss of places :D

3) Get married and adopt a kid
Self explanitary

4) Figure out what career I want
Hopefully I'll get an idea at uni.

5) DON'T END UP POOR
I don't want my future kid to live as I do now :(

6) Beat social anxiety
It's getting better recently (omg I actually used the phone FOUR TIMES in the past month!!) but I want to be able to do everything without shitting bricks.

1 - i want to be happy.
2 - i want to overcome my social anxiety. i don't want to use it as a crutch. not that i have; i don't ever want to feel like it's a reasonable excuse.
3 - i want to help others be happy. i could write books, i could make music. it's up in the air at this point. i would be happy doing either. i'd love to do both!

Go to university.
Preferably in Aberdeen or Dundee, to complete a degree in English. I want to be a Master of Arts, dammit! I want to get a good education so I can reach my other life goals. Gotta get the grades this year, though.

Travel and create experiences.
I'd love to visit Thailand. My parents went there for their honeymoon and the pictures they have are incredible! I wish I could have gone. I've been to a lot of amazing and beautiful places already (Egypt and the States really stick out to me), and I want to see more.

Get married and have children.
What? I'm allowed to have stereotypically female aspirations, screw you.

Publish a novel.
I'd love for other people to care about my favourite pastime. I'm musically retarded; I'm the most awkward dancer; my drawing and painting skills are sub-par; but I like to think I'm at least vaguely talented at writing. I love it enough to want to make a career out of it, but... I don't think I'd be a great journalist and god knows that being a novelist is hardly likely to take off. Ah well. I want to try anyway.

Love myself.

Get married. Fuck civil unions.

Publish a novel. Because I don't want to have wasted years of my life writing for no tangible product.

Discover something cool and biology-y.

Die happy. I want to die happy, secure in the knowledge that my life has been lived to the fullest extent possible.

Get to uni

Ugh I hate the fact that I still can't choose between English or History and I need to make that choice *fairly soon*. But regardless, I want to go to uni. Preferably somewhere far away from London, because I actually want to experience living semi-independently before I have to live in the real world.

Travel around

Yeah this might have to be an optional extra because it's expensive as hell. But still, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of the world than just the tiny corner of Europe that I've spent the last sixteen years in.

Live in a foreign country for a short period of time

Not just a holiday, but a year or so living and working would be nice. It'd probably have to be an English-speaking country because I suck at anything that isn't German.

Find love

This one speaks for itself I guess.

Graduate from college
Astrophysics? English? Org Chem? Biology? I DON'T KNOOOOW

Make music
music that's actually good

???
who knows

Get married. Fuck civil unions.
HELL YEAH.

Ugh I hate the fact that I still can't choose between English or History and I need to make that choice *fairly soon*. But regardless, I want to go to uni. Preferably somewhere far away from London, because I actually want to experience living semi-independently before I have to live in the real world.
do joint honours!! you can do both :D English and History is a common combination

do joint honours!! you can do both :D English and History is a common combination
but I keep flip-flopping between the two. sometimes I really fucking hate English and sometimes I really fucking hate History and then at other times I love them more than oxygen.

I'll probably do joint honours if only because I'm an indecisive weed. :(

- Live for a bit
- Die
- Get into uni somehow along the way
- Think up some better life goals.

Last edited:
1) Get good grades in my GCSE's.
2)Get into College, even if my mother says to stay in sixth form when I'm older.
3)Get into a uni.
4)Get a job, hopefully as a Botanist/Biologist.
5)Adopt a Kid. (I am not waking up several times during the night for some effing baby dammit. >:( )

(in no particular order)

1. Hear from my girlfriend soon (haven't heard from her since July)
2. Take over the world (Even my parents think I'd make an excellent tyrant, LOL!), establishing a worldwide Communist Dictatorship that could be compared to Soviet Russia under Stalin's regime!
3. Wreak my ultimate vengeance on those who caused me nothing but pain, anger, and misery by having them killed.
4. Marry my girlfriend and start a family.
5. Adopt a baby girl from China.
6. Rule Earth as supreme Communist overlord for the rest of my life.
7. Do a barrel roll!

(in no particular order)

1. Hear from my girlfriend soon (haven't heard from her since July)
2. Take over the world (Even my parents think I'd make an excellent tyrant, LOL!), establishing a worldwide Communist Dictatorship that could be compared to Soviet Russia under Stalin's regime!
3. Wreak my ultimate vengeance on those who caused me nothing but pain, anger, and misery by having them killed.
4. Marry my girlfriend and start a family.
5. Adopt a baby girl from China.
6. Rule Earth as supreme Communist overlord for the rest of my life.
7. Do a barrel roll!
i fuckin' love you man

Back
Top Bottom